Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,975 members, 7,863,479 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:30 PM

Why You Shouldn’t Be A Selfie-sh Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Shouldn’t Be A Selfie-sh Christian (331 Views)

Pastor Ibiyeomie: Ladies Shouldn’t See Their Fiancé’s Manhood Before Marriage / Moment FR. Mbaka Prophesied That God Said Buhari Shouldn’t Run - Sun Newspaper / When You Try To Take A Selfie In Church (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Shouldn’t Be A Selfie-sh Christian by Opistorincos(m): 7:50am On Jul 23, 2017

I read of a young nurse named Sheila who summed up her personal philosophy as “Sheilaism,” explaining, “It’s just try to love yourself and be gentle with yourself.” Well, at least she didn’t mistake her view for Christianity! But I’m afraid that a lot of Christians are deceiving themselves, thinking that they’re following Jesus when really, they, like Sheila, are just into themselves.

The doctrine of self-love or self-esteem is not compatible with Jesus’ teaching on self-denial. It is sad that many advocates of self-esteem cite the command to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matt. 22:39) as biblical justification for self-love. Some even go so far as to say that we cannot love God or others until we first learn to love ourselves! But Jesus said that there were only two great commands—love God and love your neighbor. He assumed that we all love ourselves quite well. In fact, if we would just love others as much as we do love ourselves, we would fulfill the law of love.

Maybe you’re thinking, “Self-denial sounds so negative!” Let me remind you, I didn’t come up with this. Jesus did! In the short term, self-denial is difficult and not very pleasant. But there are eternal blessings in store when you follow Jesus on the path of the cross. He explains in verse 24: “For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.” When you die to self and follow Jesus, He graciously gives you the ultimate in fulfillment as the by-product—the joy of eternal life and of being affirmed by Jesus before the Father when He comes in glory (9:26)!

If, like me a few years ago, you have been taken in by the self-esteem teaching, I encourage you to re-evaluate it in light of all Scripture, especially, Luke 9:23. You won’t find a single verse telling you to build your self-esteem or to love yourself more. You will find many telling you to die to self and to humble yourself. It’s pretty clear: Following Jesus means dying to self. Living for self means that you’re not following Jesus.

Copyright, Steven J. Cole, 1998, All Rights Reserved.

Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture Quotations are from the New American Standard Bible, Updated Edition © The Lockman Foundation

#StayCrowned⚜️

IG : @TheArtOfAde
Twitter : @TheArtOfAde
BBM Channel : C001FDB41
Facebook Page : The Art Of Ade
Email : TheArtOfAde@Gmail.Com

http://www.theartofade.com/why-you-shouldnt-be-a-selfie-sh-christian/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn’t Be A Selfie-sh Christian by TheArtOfAde: 6:52pm On Jul 25, 2017
This is really riveting.

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional(tue. 25/07/2017) Admit Your Mistakes / 10 Silly Questions That Helped Shaped My Life / Sunday Sermon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.