Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,862 members, 7,828,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly (1167 Views)

How A Facebook Comment Crashed Her Marriage / Lady Burns Her Wedding Dress As She Leaves Her Marriage In Style (photos) / Should I Save My Marriage Or Let Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by ghanc23(f): 5:32pm On Jul 23, 2017
I was thinking on the irregularities in marriages today,
I have read a lot on success of marriage, things that can make marriage work like tolerance, communication, respect, love and so on. Also where you are not getting the attention of your spouse or getting bored in the marriage, you can try to bring up topics s/he likes and discuss so that there won't be a communication gap

A situation where one is an introvert and has little to discuss with the spouse, maybe a discussion that can last like 5 to 10mins and everyone becomes silent. This is not helping the marriage at all, what will one do in this kind of situation.

Please I need matured advice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Dyt(f): 5:54pm On Jul 23, 2017
Do you mean introvert equals boredom?

3 Likes

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by DonOms(m): 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2017
ghanc23:
I have read a lot on success of marriage, things that can make marriage work like tolerance, communication, respect, love and so on. Also where you are not getting the attention of your spouse or getting bored in the marriage, you can try to bring up topics s/he likes and discuss so that there won't be a communication gap

A situation where one is an introvert and has little to discuss with the spouse, maybe a discussion that can last like 5 to 10mins and everyone becomes silent. This is not helping the marriage at all, what will one do in this kind of situation.

Hello,

While your question makes sense, it isn't completely clear. Why? You may ask. You see, there are a number of factors involved in your question. Are both parties introverted? Is the husband the introvert while the wife is an extrovert? Or vice versa? Having the answers to this makes the difference in terms of what advice or answers are sufficiently adequate for you (neglecting other factors such as personality, upbringing, social and cultural differences).

Anyway, to generalise, here are things you need to understand:
1) Silence isn't entirely bad. An introverted couple can spend 5 hours with each other and each utter no more than 50 words and enjoy each other's company feeling fulfilled. I've seen that happen, trust me. So in this case, there wouldn't be a problem with communication gap because they both 'communicate' in their own silent way.
Quiet doesn't mean boredom and it doesn't mean lack of communication either.

2) Tolerance and Acceptance. On the introvert lounge thread on Nairaland, a number of people have mentioned how they (introverts) ended up marrying extroverts and how they have learned to 'tolerate' their spouse's extroversion while the other party 'tolerates' their own introversion too. So this revolves around respect for each other. If an introvert husband respects his extrovert wife, he won't be put off by her but tolerate her and accept her at the same time. So no party is completely starved of their basic personality requirement.

3) Common Grounds. Now, as an introvert myself, I know that Introverts too can be talkative. Do you know how and when? When they are in company of loved ones and talking about something they really enjoy or are passionate about. So an introvert should find that common ground with his/her spouse and talk all the way.

You can ask more specific questions if these don't quite answer your question.

3 Likes

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 23, 2017
DonOms:

Hello,

While your question makes sense, it isn't completely clear. Why? You may ask. You see, there are a number of factors involved in your question. Are both parties introverted? Is the husband the introvert while the wife is an extrovert? Or vice versa? Having the answers to this makes the difference in terms of what advice or answers are sufficiently adequate for you (neglecting other factors such as personality, upbringing, social and cultural differences).

1) Silence isn't entirely bad. An introverted couple can spend 5 hours with each other and each utter no more than 50 words and enjoy each others company feeling fulfilled. I've seen that happen, trust me. So in this case, there wouldn't be a problem with communication gap because they both 'communicate' in their own silent way.

2) Tolerance and Acceptance. On the introvert lounge thread on Nairaland, a number of people have mentioned how they (introverts) ended up marrying extroverts and how they have learned to 'tolerate' their spouse's extroversion while the other party 'tolerates' their own introversion too. So this revolves around respect for each other. If an introvert husband respects his extrovert wife, he won't be put off by her but tolerate her and accept her at the same time. So no party is completely starved of their basic personality requirement.

3) Common Grounds. Now, as an introvert myself, I know that Introverts too can be talkative. Do you know how and when? When they are in company of loved ones and talking about something they really enjoy or are passionate about. So an introvert should find that common ground with his/her spouse and talk all the way.

Well said.
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Nutase: 6:33pm On Jul 23, 2017
Best solution is to marry an extrovert.
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by DonOms(m): 7:56pm On Jul 23, 2017
Benita27:
Well said.

Thanks.
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 23, 2017
Nutase:

Ah, what if extrovert guys aren't coming your way?
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by ghanc23(f): 3:32am On Jul 24, 2017
DonOms:

Hello,

1) Silence isn't entirely bad. An introverted couple can spend 5 hours with each other and each utter no more than 50 words and enjoy each other's company feeling fulfilled. I've seen that happen, trust me. So in this case, there wouldn't be a problem with communication gap because they both 'communicate' in their own silent way.

I mean I can't start or maintain a conservation not can

as for the marriage, husband is half extrovert and always bring up topics and as dat ones ends, d whole room becomes silent
am thinking of a way to be coming up with some topics so dat silence won't be long
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by ghanc23(f): 3:36am On Jul 24, 2017
Nutase:

what if an extrovert didn't come your way and u married half extrovert then what happens
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by ghanc23(f): 3:37am On Jul 24, 2017
truthsayer009:

Ah, what if extrovert guys aren't coming your way?

gbam!!!
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 24, 2017
Nutase:

false, it's best for an introvert to marry a fellow introvert. the opposites attract law is false, ppl fare better with fellows of similar personality. an introvert will understand need for space and would not feel neglected by lack of desire of partner to socialize.
OP, find an introvert who u share common interests with and you should be fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by DonOms(m): 4:03pm On Jul 24, 2017
ghanc23:

as for the marriage, husband is half extrovert and always bring up topics and as dat ones ends, d whole room becomes silent
am thinking of a way to be coming up with some topics so dat silence won't be long

You didn't make your initial posts clear enough. You should have edited them to make yourself clearer.

Anyway, Is your husband complaining about the regular quietness? It seems to me that you the introvert are the one with the complain and not your ambivert (half introvert, half extrovert) husband.
It appears you may be trying to create a hitherto non-existent problem by seeing the silence as an issue and as a lack of communication.

Please stop thinking hard about how to bring up topics to discuss. You're not cut for plenty talks so don't force it, else you'll strain yourself and your relationship in the process. Let the talks come naturally. Almost all introverts think a lot. So instead of "talking" to yourself in your mind, just voice them out to him...simple.

Also, by now you should know the topics that interest him. So try to know more about those things by reading up on them or watching TV programmes about them. This way, you'll have plenty to tell him about. Do the same thing for things that interest you as well and talk to him about them. With time, it will be a part of you and you'll come up with more to talk about as you grow together.

PS: I repeat for emphasis: If your husband is not complaining, don't force yourself to always talk and DO NOT see quietness as a lack of communication or as a recipe for boredom in relationships. He fell in love with you as an introvert and married you that way...don't create a problem for yourself with this your perception of 'talking in marriage.'

All the best.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by DonOms(m): 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
selflessmaya:

false, it's best for an introvert to marry a fellow introvert. the opposites attract law is false, ppl fare better with fellows of similar personality. an introvert will understand need for space and would not feel neglected by lack of desire of partner to socialize.
OP, find an introvert who u share common interests with and you should be fine.

You're very correct about your view on attraction. People often fail to understand some so-called 'laws' are not universally true...and the good exception to "unlikes attract" is marriage.

By the way, OP is married to an ambivert so she's not exactly going to need to go and find an introvert with common interests.

1 Like

Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Richy4(m): 4:21pm On Jul 24, 2017
I never knew that anyone could see an introvert as boring...At least I am not... Maybe your own introvert is different from mine...

As for discussion, TV helps, Out doors like going to the park often or zoo will give you something to talk about..

Telling him/her few funny things that happened @ your place of work or school could go more than 20mins..and he unturned will tell you about his day.. all you need to do is listen no matter how boring..
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by sisisioge: 8:27pm On Jul 24, 2017
Well...your bobo isn't an acquittance that you need to observe all social etiquettes with. He knew you before he married you. If you want to make your marriage beautiful, try to develop other means of communication...learn to engage him in convos without saying much. Good luck.
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by edwife(f): 9:42pm On Jul 24, 2017
ghanc23:

Introduce games in your household. It works like magic!

Scrabble, cards, ludo or video games. You will always have something to say, laugh, argue about and it's fun.
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by ghanc23(f): 9:49pm On Jul 24, 2017
DonOms:

You didn't make your initial posts clear enough. You should have edited them to make yourself clearer.

Anyway, Is your husband complaining about the regular quietness? It seems to me that you the introvert are the one with the complain and not your ambivert (half introvert, half extrovert) husband.
It appears you may be trying to create a hitherto non-existent problem by seeing the silence as an issue and as a lack of communication.

Please stop thinking hard about how to bring up topics to discuss. You're not cut for plenty talks so don't force it, else you'll strain yourself and your relationship in the process. Let the talks come naturally. Almost all introverts think a lot. So instead of "talking" to yourself in your mind, just voice them out to him...simple.

Also, by now you should know the topics that interest him. So try to know more about those things by reading up on them or watching TV programmes about them. This way, you'll have plenty to tell him about. Do the same thing for things that interest you as well and talk to him about them. With time, it will be a part of you and you'll come up with more to talk about as you grow together.

PS: I repeat for emphasis: If your husband is not complaining, don't force yourself to always talk and DO NOT see quietness as a lack of communication or as a recipe for boredom in relationships. He fell in love with you as an introvert and married you that way...don't create a problem for yourself with this your perception of 'talking in marriage.'

All the best.

Thanks so much
I appreciate
Re: How Can An Introvert Improve His/her Marriage Or Makes It Works Perfectly by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2017
ghanc23:

How is this playing out ?

(1) (Reply)

Wall Clocks @mummysam Stores / Our Women Are Allowing These Men Of God To Use Them? / Live In The U.k.. Let’s Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.