Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,373 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion (7547 Views)

Atheist John Steinruken - "Why Christianity Is Great" / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll. / Would You Change Your Religion For Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2017
LiberaDeus:
@OP

Please can you state what makes christianity the more logical religion than islam?

And also explain why i shouldnt see the uncausable causer as Allah who sent his last prophet Muhammad.

Thanks

Taste the powers then you will know. angry
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 3:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

There is no one single fact in the Bible

So you have read all portions of the Bible
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2017
OP, good write-up any way.

Following.

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by johnydon22(m): 3:08pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

There is no one single fact in the Bible
LOL. Yes there is; Xerxes the son of Darius can be found in the bible.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 3:10pm On Jul 25, 2017
MrMontella:

ah Taya for them oo...
they never improve on their argument skills

Show us your skills if you have one................................................................

waiting
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Martinez19(m): 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2017
johnydon22:
You seem to have matured and become more objective in religious discourse. Like a pure truth seeker. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 3:21pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:
Thousands of gods out there but his parents god just happened to be the true god. Lol

@OP you'll make similar argument for another god depending where you were born.

Maybe something did cause the universe, but the first cause argument doesn't tell us that that thing is conscious or still alive. A dead or inanimate god is useless to theism. Plus how do you even leap from that thing to the one in your babble that loves barbecue and wants you to cut your penis skin. Your argument is terrible IMO

Did Jesus Christ tell you to cut your Joystick

what you need is a circumcision of your heart and not the physical mutilation of your body part.

The Op is a Christian and Christianity started with Jesus Christ
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by johnydon22(m): 3:33pm On Jul 25, 2017
Martinez19:
You seem to have matured and become more objective in religious discourse. Like a pure truth seeker. smiley
hahaha
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

I have already explained this part. This show that you do not even understand either Judaism or Christianity. So i cannot debate with you from your position of ignorance.

You're an intellectually dishonest a$$hole. Why are you such a liar. You said Islam didn't start with humanity and that's one of the reasons that made you a Christian. But we know Christianity started 2000 years ago. Are you now implying Christianity and Judaism are a single religion?Aren't you a blissful idiot.

SmartyPants:

Did you see the bolded? Common sense should tell you that Jesus was not asking anyone to hate anyone but rather to prioritize discipleship over everything else.

Stop taking away from the Bible. This is Jesus word:

Whoever comes to me and doesn’t hate father and mother, spouse and children, and brothers and sisters—yes, even one’s own life— cannot be my disciple.

That's a condition for discipleship. According to him, you must hate your family including yourself before he can accept you. If that's not hate preach then you're stupid and dishonest. A dishonest buddy is the last thing I'd want for a discourse.
[/quote]

SmartyPants:

Have you read the whole of Matt 5? It is in the context of secret sins of the heart such as lust and hate... in the context of hate is where it is stated that he who calls his brother fool is in danger of hell fire. the two bolded words are key. They establish that it is not absolutely wrong for us to use the word fool since to be in danger of something does not actually mean to already be in breach of the protection. As i matter of fact, i think you are actually a fool.

Lol. You're a terrible apologist. I still uphold my view about you being an indoctrinated Christian. I mean who overlooks overwhelming evidence like this about Jesus' hypocrisy if not a brainwashed idiot. I'm gonna post it once more.

Tells people not to call others fool (Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22.)

And then he called his critics and disciples fools

(Ye fools and blind. Matthew 23:17, 19
Ye fools. Luke 11:40
O fools, and slow of heart to believe. Luke 24:25)

Jesus was an hypocrite. I didn't write the Bible.

SmartyPants:

This requires no explanation. Clearly you do not know what a bigot is. Jesus instructed His disciples to preach and teach and make disciples up to the ends of the earth.

LMAO. You are really an idiot.
Dictionary Bigot

\ˈbi-gət\

noun

a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person ;especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Now he have Jesus saying this:

Do not turn your steps to pagan territory, and do not enter any Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel (Matt. 10:5-6)
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him (Matt. 6:7–cool

Jesus was truly a bigot.

Go ahead and can cover your face in shame.

SmartyPants:

Go to school and meet any of your lecturers. Ask them to explain to you the difference between a servant and a slave.

Stop grasping at straws you slimy scum. My argument is 'Jesus didn't stopped slavery' did he? Can you show me a single verse where he condemned slavery. Jesus has been caught taking with slave masters references, and I posted you a similar verse. Stop being illogical and shut me up by showing a quote of Jesus criticism against slavery.

Besides, beating servants severely, is that a noble act?

SmartyPants:

Read the article again for better understanding of what i said and what it means. I'm not here to spoonfeed you.

Hehe. I busted his ass. He musta realized his idiocy and he's tryna withdraw. cheesy

SmartyPants:

I've made the point that we do not have sufficient neutral historical records from the period. But you can read the works of those writers for evidence of Christian persecution.

Lying punkass. You think I'm your gullible church member. Eh? You must think I don't know Tacitus to lie about his work. You're very good at making empty claims. I still exposed your falsehood once again. Your whole argument is based on the Bible. I asked for independent source and you started stuttering. You do realize any religion can make your arguments with their own scripture.

SmartyPants:

Meanwhile i am waiting for you to show me where Jesus asked His followers to kill anyone.

Unlike you the lying religious nuthead, I back my claims up.

"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them - bring them here and kill them in front of me." (Luke 19:27)

Do not go about lying to yourself that Christianity possess some truth which other religions lack, because from the little back and forth we had, you've been unable to show why Christianity is the true religion. You my friend was handed the Bible as a kid and you grew up to defend it. This will be my last reply to your delusional and nonsensical arguments. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 3:55pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

You're an intellectually dishonest a$$hole. Why are you such a liar. You said Islam didn't start with humanity and that's one of the reasons that made you a Christian. But we know Christianity started 2000 years ago. Are you now implying Christianity and Judaism are a single religion?Aren't you a blissful idiot.

Stop taking away from the Bible. This is Jesus word:

Whoever comes to me and doesn’t hate father and mother, spouse and children, and brothers and sisters—yes, even one’s own life— cannot be my disciple.

That's a condition for discipleship. According to him, you must hate your family including yourself before he can accept you. If that's not hate preach then you're stupid and dishonest. A dishonest buddy is the last thing I'd want for a discourse.

Have you read the whole of Matt 5? It is in the context of secret sins of the heart such as lust and hate... in the context of hate is where it is stated that he who calls [b]his brother
fool is in danger of hell fire. the two bolded words are key. They establish that it is not absolutely wrong for us to use the word fool since to be in danger of something does not actually mean to already be in breach of the protection. As i matter of fact, i think you are actually a fool.

Wonderful. You are wrong to think I reply you in order to convince you. No I reply you in order for the neutral viewers to have enough information to judge fir themselves who is making sense and who is not.

That being said, if I have responded to any claim and you refuse to to examine my explanation with sense, I wont touch on it again. Let sensible viewers be the judge.

Remarkably for two pages now you have insisted that I premised my argument in scriptures. I made four arguments and if you can show me where i quoted any scripture to back them up in my original post I would be mist grateful.

As deceitful as you are, you just quoted part of a parable and pretended as though it was a command from Jesus. For the benefit of the reader, the passage quoted in Luke 19, is an allegory.

And I'm glad you posted the definition of bigot. See, lacking discernment you took an instruction Jesus gave without bothering to find out the reason and concluded that it was because He did not like pagans. You failed to do your research properly to discover that at a different time Jesus actually instructed His disciples to preach and teach to all the peoples of the earth. Jesus came for all peoples.

Learn to read before commenting. As for whether this will be your last reply... Who cares?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 4:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
urheme:

Did Jesus Christ tell you to cut your Joystick

what you need is a circumcision of your heart and not the physical mutilation of your body part.

The Op is a Christian and Christianity started with Jesus Christ

Lol. You're contradicting the lying scum that opened this thread. I backed him to a corner, and he said Christianity started with Judaism. That's when I know how fu`cked he was.

Now to your own post. Are you implying that Yahweh is not the Christian god?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2017
Hahahaha. He's pulled their normal out of context and allegory card cheesy

Abeg I'm done here jor, I was hoping to read something reasonable but it turned out to be another Jesus-is-god drivel from a pitiable Yahweh's servant. Lol

3 Likes

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

Lol. You're contradicting the lying scum that opened this thread. I backed him to a corner, and he said Christianity started with Judaism. That's when I know how fu`cked he was.

Now to your own post. Are you implying that Yahweh is not the Christian god?

God is God... He alone is God.... and let Him be God.

Judaism got it all wrong.........Christ came to Transform it and could not......hence Christianity is the result.

Christianity is different from Judaism.....both still exist today.......different doctrine though.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 4:35pm On Jul 25, 2017
urheme:

God is God... He alone is God.... and let Him be God.

Judaism got it all wrong.........Christ came to Transform it and could not......hence Christianity is the result.

Christianity is different from Judaism.....both still exist today.......different doctrine though.

What is this na? I mean like seriously, what has this gotta do with my question.

I'm gonna drop it again.

Are you implying that Yahweh is not the Christian god?

A YES or a NO will suffice.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by AgentOfAllah: 4:43pm On Jul 25, 2017
25!; the number of times you invoked the word "logic" and its derivatives in you lengthy post. It would seem your excessive use of that word is a Freudian slip intended to mask what your subconscious already recognises as a travesty of that very same word, "logic"! Logical arguments generally do not require any stamp of identification, let alone 25! So, allow me to bring your consciousness to perceptive parity with your subconscious.

I will not attempt to highlight all of your illogical leaps, as it will take too much of my time, but the ones I highlight will amply demonstrate to you, that there is nothing logical about you argument. Hopefully, you'll then go back to the drawing board to map out a more logical argument as to why you are a Christian, or be forced to admit that logic is not at all a compelling factor in your professed faith.

SmartyPants:

I personally choose to believe in God because it is hard to imagine any other explanation that, itself, would not raise further questions – incidentally, the same question scientists and doubters ask of the religious-minded: where did the source come from? Since something cannot logically come from nothing, this will continue to be a mystery. What is clear though, is that everything must have come from something. The answer clearly then, is that the source of life must be something or someone, that defies all human understanding of what is possible. Does this mean logic is wrong?
Here, you have not defined what "God" means. All logical terms, including, nay, especially axioms, must be defined. You treat "God" as an axiom without a definition. How can you then hope to make any kind of sensible argument about god?

Our understanding of logic, appears to me to be the problem, and not logic itself. We tend to view logic as being an arithmetic process, a step by step approach to the inevitable answer, however, I believe logic can also be geometric, a sequence of computations that lead to an undefined, indefinite answer we like to call infinity. Understanding life and existence requires that we must apply the same thought process. In answering the question of where God came from and how God created the world, I submit it to you, that we are at the analogical point of infinity. Thus, logic does not at all preclude the existence of God.
Here, you attempt to justify the lack of definition of god by invoking infinity or whatever the heck you were talking about! That's just undiluted bunkum! Anything without definition, including infinity, is outside the scope of logic. Logic is a language of precision, not a whimsical appeal to ignorance. Stop trying to redefine it!

The atheist at this point, smartly, would probably quip, “but even if you believe in God, which religion do you believe is true?” This presents a genuine logical challenge, but like all logical challenges, there is a logical approach to the answer. There are probably hundreds of religions, each one professing to be the correct and true way to God. Logic has it that if there is a God, and no two religions agree on how to worship Him, then either all of them are wrong and no one really knows about God, or one of them is right and all the others are wrong. This should make every religious person pause and seriously question themselves and their beliefs.
The more pertinent question a smart atheist would ask is: "If you believe in god, what makes you think this god cares about religion?"

Contrary to what most people believe, faith and logic do not necessarily contradict. Quite on the contrary, I believe that God expects us all to apply some logic in our search for truth. For instance, it is written in Romans 1: 19-20:
‘because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shewn it to them. For since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse’

This verse of scripture points out that God expects people to make inferences about Him, by examining the things He has made (see the highlighted portion), and this calls upon our capacity for logical reasoning. Through the process of reason, certain assumptions can be made about God and His relationship with human beings.
I'm skipping this because you've mentioned that it isn't relevant to your argument...moving on

First of all, we must believe that God wants humanity to relate with Him, and that if any religion is true, it must have been given to man directly by God. The second assumption that logically follows this is that if God gave man a religion to follow because He wanted us to connect with Him, and God existed before the creation of man, then He would have given mankind this religion (set of instructions for worship) right from the beginning. This logically tells me that any religion which does not logically trace its origin to the beginning of time cannot be the true way. Any religion which can point to a specific point in time along the timeline of human existence, as being the period when a particular person received a religion from God, then has to explain why God did not want the people before them to have this religion. Christianity, through Judaism, traces its origin all the way back to Adam and Eve, who are held to have been the first people created on earth.
At this point, you haven't defined god, you haven't shown that this god is purposeful or, for that matter, is a living thing capable of thought, yet you are already attributing personal pronouns to it, you already know that it "wants humans to relate to him", you already know that this god cares about religion, you already know how it prefers to convey religion to man, you already know when this god would have preferred to contact man about religion, etc. By making these unjustified claims about how god operates, not only have you shamelessly defecated all over logic, you've also directly contradicted your previous "logical" argument that god occupies an "undefined, indefinite" "point of infinity".

Okay, I will stop here because I have given you enough reason to reconsider what your "logical" claims.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by urheme: 4:53pm On Jul 25, 2017
MONEYJOEE:

What is this na? I mean like seriously, what has this gotta do with my question.

I'm gonna drop it again.

Are you implying that Yahweh is not the Christian god?

A YES or a NO will suffice.

God is called Yahweh in Greek, Jesus called him Elohim, Oghene in my own language....what is the fuse about

Answer is YES.....

next question
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
25!; the number of times you invoked the word "logic" and its derivatives in you lengthy post. It would seem your excessive use of that word is a Freudian slip intended to mask what your subconscious already recognises as a travesty of that very same word, "logic"! Logical arguments generally do not require any stamp of identification, let alone 25! So, allow me to bring your consciousness to perceptive parity with your subconscious.

I will not attempt to highlight all of your illogical leaps, as it will take too much of my time, but the ones I highlight will amply demonstrate to you, that there is nothing logical about you argument. Hopefully, you'll then go back to the drawing board to map out a more logical argument as to why you are a Christian, or be forced to admit that logic is not at all a compelling factor in your professed faith.

Here, you have not defined what "God" means. All logical terms, including, nay, especially axioms, must be defined. You treat "God" as an axiom without a definition. How can you then hope to make any kind of sensible argument about god?

Here, you attempt to justify the lack of definition of god by invoking infinity or whatever the heck you were talking about! That's just undiluted bunkum! Anything without definition, including infinity, is outside the scope of logic. Logic is a language of precision, not a whimsical appeal to ignorance. Stop trying to redefine it!

The more pertinent question a smart atheist would ask is: "If you believe in god, what makes you think this god cares about religion?"

I'm skipping this because you've mentioned that it isn't relevant to your argument...moving on

At this point, you haven't defined god, you haven't shown that this god is purposeful or, for that matter, is a living thing capable of thought, yet you are already attributing personal pronouns to it, you already know that it "wants humans to relate to him", you already know that this god cares about religion, you already know how it prefers to convey religion to man, you already know when this god would have preferred to contact man about religion, etc. By making these unjustified claims about how god operates, not only have you shamelessly defecated all over logic, you've also directly contradicted your previous "logical" argument that god occupies an "undefined, indefinite" "point of infinity".

Okay, I will stop here because I have given you enough reason to reconsider what your "logical" claims.

Seen. Busy atm will respond in about an hour
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by MONEYJOEE: 5:17pm On Jul 25, 2017
urheme:

God is called Yahweh in Greek, Jesus called him Elohim, Oghene in my own language....what is the fuse about

Answer is YES.....

next question

God is not called Yahweh in Greek. Is that what you were told in church? Lol

Yahweh was formerly the head god of the Canaanite pantheon but later became the Jewish god where he was promoted to the only creator of the cosmos and the true god.

This is god in Greek. θεός (theós)

We have biblical accounts of Yahweh demanding circumcision so what's up with you quoting and disagreeing
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by LiberaDeus: 7:43pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

There you go:

Let me answer your claims

1. Christianity is not the oldest religion. Hinduism is the religion that its beginning cant be traced. So i guess based on that logic, Hinduism is the only truth in the world

2.Buddha was a perfect example who was shown not to have sinned. Muhammad was portrayed as being very noble. Even your Jesus was shown as perfect. But i will not fall into the trap of believing what has been said by the so called propaganda books called holy books. Any one could start a religion and write a fairy tale showing its central character to be perfect. So this method is very flawed. But even if we are to use it, Jesus doesnt still cut it, there were nicer characters throughout history.

3. You talk about a set of rules. But you have rules in christianity e.g You pray most times with your eyes closed, you go to church on sunday, you celebrate easter, christmas and pay offerings. If you claim christianity is the only spiritual religion then sorry to burst your bubble, Islam has its mystical branch, Buddhism and Hinduism are more spiritual. Buddhism is the least rigid, least regimented and most spiritually inclined religion. SO christianity doesnt cut it.

4.Mormons have been persecuted, jews have also been persecuted. Jews have been persecuted throughout the christian era and they never failed to denounce Jesus. Even muslims have been persecuted in the orient and they still hold steadfast to their religion

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 7:59pm On Jul 25, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Let me start by saying that you clearly have not understood one significant part of my argument. My introduction of the concept of infinity was merely as analogy, an illustration if you prefer. The point, presented in more simple terms simply was: If you trace everything backwards, we reach a point human understanding cannot go beyond. This is the question of where God or any other alleged source of life came from. Science and logic offer no explanation but religion does. The only question we have is whether or not we accept the terms offered by religion. Are we together at this point? I would hope yes.

Now to who is God? For the purpose of this discussion, God to me is the Supreme Creator of all that exists. How did i arrive at this? First i believe all that exists must have an origin. By an examination of the intricacies of the things that have been created, i inferred that the creation is profoundly complicated and highly intelligent, and therefore must come from an intelligent source. Can an inanimate object produce life that is dynamic, intelligent and capable of creating things itself? It sounds highly unlikely. So i assume that the source of all creation must be intelligent, and must have life.
My search for more answers about God, is the subject of my original essay, the conclusion of which leads me to my belief of the other attributes of God such as His supremacy.

it's your go Mr.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2017
johnydon22:
Exaggerated facts you mean?
urheme:

So you have read all portions of the Bible

Yes, i have do you have a problem with that or you think Atheist don't read Bible?
SmartyPants:

That's is your opinion. And a pretty weird one at that. Egyptians were very good at preserving bodies. However, not all other civilizations were.

Is that the only shred of evidence you have to hold on to?
So you mean all those guys in the bible died in the wilderness and their body turned to dust? Weren't they buried in a place? who asked about if their body were preserved all we just want is a tomb stone
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 8:12pm On Jul 25, 2017
LiberaDeus:

Let me answer your claims

1. Christianity is not the oldest religion. Hinduism is the religion that its beginning cant be traced. So i guess based on that logic, Hinduism is the only truth in the world

2.Buddha was a perfect example who was shown not to have sinned. Muhammad was portrayed as being very noble. Even your Jesus was shown as perfect. But i will not fall into the trap of believing what has been said by the so called propaganda books called holy books. Any one could start a religion and write a fairy tale showing its central character to be perfect. So this method is very flawed. But even if we are to use it, Jesus doesnt still cut it, there were nicer characters throughout history.

3. You talk about a set of rules. But you have rules in christianity e.g You pray most times with your eyes closed, you go to church on sunday, you celebrate easter, christmas and pay offerings. If you claim christianity is the only spiritual religion then sorry to burst your bubble, Islam has its mystical branch, Buddhism and Hinduism are more spiritual. Buddhism is the least rigid, least regimented and most spiritually inclined religion. SO christianity doesnt cut it.

4.Mormons have been persecuted, jews have also been persecuted. Jews have been persecuted throughout the christian era and they never failed to denounce Jesus. Even muslims have been persecuted in the orient and they still hold steadfast to their religion

1. Wrong... i never said Christianity was the oldest religion...I said it traces the relationship of man with God right back to the first created beings. You have to read my words carefully sir. Christianity is not the only religion that does this, but we are using a process of elimination here, so this step simply rules out those that cannot account for the time between creation and the inception of their religion. This includes Islam.

2. A perfect example refers to one who never ever sinned or did wrong. Buddha was already 29 years of age before he went on his search for enlightenment. That he required enlightenment rules him out as a perfect example. Jesus was born God right from birth, and never sinned. This makes Him the only perfect example.

3. I never said a set of rules is not typical of the true religion. I said true religion must go beyond a set of rules in terms of its purpose. Most religions offer a set of rules, however Christianity offers (i) sonship of God (ii) a direct access route to God through Jesus. You may not believe, but these are things that make Christianity different. And that is the point.

4. Persecution is one thing, but i am talking of being at the point where you willingly sacrifice your life in order to spread this message. Now note, i am not talking of the persecution in modern times, i am talking of the persecution that those who met Jesus suffered. If they actually met or knew Jesus, and were willing to suffer and die, then they must have been convinced by what they saw and heard firsthand.

So like i said, using the process of elimination, you might find some religions that can lay claim to some of the points, but none that can match up to all four points.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by johnydon22(m): 8:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

Exaggerated facts you mean?

Not really i only pointed out Xerxes son of Darius as the fact, what ever thing you regard exaggerated wasn't part of the thing i mentioned
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 8:14pm On Jul 25, 2017
urheme:

God is called Yahweh in Greek Jesus called him Elohim, Oghene in my own language....what is the fuse about

Answer is YES.....

next question
Olodo

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 8:15pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

So you mean all those guys in the bible died in the wilderness and their body turned to dust? Weren't they buried in a place? who asked about if their body were preserved all we just want is a tomb stone

A tombstone like we have nowadays? Where it would be written "This is the grave of Peter, the one who was a disciple of Jesus Christ of Nazareth"

Are you serious?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 8:24pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

A tombstone like we have nowadays? Where it would be written "This is the grave of Peter, the one who was a disciple of Jesus Christ of Nazareth"

Are you serious?
Yeah am serious was he not buried?
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 8:26pm On Jul 25, 2017
johnydon22:

Not really i only pointed out Xerxes son of Darius as the fact, what ever thing you regard exaggerated wasn't part of the thing i mentioned
I am not saying that there are not individuals in the bible that might have actually existed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by LiberaDeus: 8:28pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

1. Wrong... i never said Christianity was the oldest religion...I said it traces the relationship of man with God right back to the first created beings. You have to read my words carefully sir. Christianity is not the only religion that does this, but we are using a process of elimination here, so this step simply rules out those that cannot account for the time between creation and the inception of their religion. This includes Islam.

2. A perfect example refers to one who never ever sinned or did wrong. Buddha was already 29 years of age before he went on his search for enlightenment. That he required enlightenment rules him out as a perfect example. Jesus was born God right from birth, and never sinned. This makes Him the only perfect example.

3. I never said a set of rules is not typical of the true religion. I said true religion must go beyond a set of rules in terms of its purpose. Most religions offer a set of rules, however Christianity offers (i) sonship of God (ii) a direct access route to God through Jesus. You may not believe, but these are things that make Christianity different. And that is the point.

4. Persecution is one thing, but i am talking of being at the point where you willingly sacrifice your life in order to spread this message. Now note, i am not talking of the persecution in modern times, i am talking of the persecution that those who met Jesus suffered. If they actually met or knew Jesus, and were willing to suffer and die, then they must have been convinced by what they saw and heard firsthand.

So like i said, using the process of elimination, you might find some religions that can lay claim to some of the points, but none that can match up to all four points.

1. Hinduism traces its beginning to the act of creation by Brahman, islam also traces its beginning to the act of creation. I dont know any religion that doesnt do that, even Ifa religion traces its beginning to when Obatala was thrown down. So try something else, every religion traces its beginning to the act of creation of which it claims its God started.

2. This claim of never sinning doesnt make any sense. They are just religious claims, many religions claim their progenitors were spotless but that is just baseless propaganda. Why should i trust your story over theirs.

3. Islam offers sonship of god and direct access to god. Buddhism offers attaining the state of God(whats better than that). All religions offer sonship of god. SO nothing unique about christianity

4. Guy, many religious people were persecuted for their beliefs. For those who really met Jesus( there is no proof of what they faced), you have pure christian overbloated propaganda on persecution.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by johnydon22(m): 8:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

I am not saying that they are not individuals in the bible that might have actually existed
Yeah i get it brother.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 8:40pm On Jul 25, 2017
LiberaDeus:

1. Hinduism traces its beginning to the act of creation by Brahman, islam also traces its beginning to the act of creation. I dont know any religion that doesnt do that, even Ifa religion traces its beginning to when Obatala was thrown down. So try something else, every religion traces its beginning to the act of creation of which it claims its God started.

2. This claim of never sinning doesnt make any sense. They are just religious claims, many religions claim their progenitors were spotless but that is just baseless propaganda. Why should i trust your story over theirs.

3. Islam offers sonship of god and direct access to god. Buddhism offers attaining the state of God(whats better than that). All religions offer sonship of god. SO nothing unique about christianity

4. Guy, many religious people were persecuted for their beliefs. For those who really met Jesus( there is no proof of what they faced), you have pure christian overbloated propaganda on persecution.

1. Every religion has a story. But in that story there has to be a point where God hands the religion to man. For Islam that point starts with Mohammed, even though they have a narration of creation. Which by the way is obviously taken from the Bible.

2. Whether you trust it or not, its a differentiator. Remember, this part of my argument is directed to those who believe.

3. No Islam claims we are all sons of God only in the sense of us being His creation. Christianity offers sonship in the sense of being actually of the nature of God. I also said in the original essay that religious beliefs that are unique must also be logical in the sense of why those beliefs serve a purple. Hinduism fails this test since it believes cows are to be worshipped. Why?

4. You call it propaganda but you cannot prove that.
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by SmartyPants(m): 8:40pm On Jul 25, 2017
Deicide:

Yeah am serious was he not buried?

Dont be funny Mann...can you even trace your great grand fathers grave??
Re: Why Christianity Is The Only Religion For Me: A Logical Treatise On Religion by Deicide: 8:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
SmartyPants:

Dont be funny Mann...can you even tract your great grand fathers grave??
Yeah i can because it's a family tomb tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Benefits Of Righteousness And Holiness / When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? / Sign Fireman's Visit To Surulere Shuts Down The Region.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.