Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,400 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:44 PM

Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. (7707 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by kenny888: 12:48pm On Mar 29, 2010
A friend of mine came to me for an advice that his friend is in the hospital seriously ill and begged him to assist him with some money so that an operation would be carried out on him.He came to me and said the only money with him at home is his tithe that i should advice him on what to do.i told him to give the money to the person in the hospital,he now gave me a shocker that he was also in his pastor"s place too,that his pastor told him to pay his tithe that God will take care of the man in the hospital. I began to wonder what kind of pastors do we have?
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by karo93: 1:11pm On Mar 29, 2010
He should give the person in need for the greatest commandment is love to those who do not have not those who have[pastor].

Tithe is a form of appreciation to God and to show your appreciation you have to sacrifice something so i feel you can make that sacrifice anywhere even on the streets.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by pstbolanta: 1:18pm On Mar 29, 2010
do you think his pastor will buy this idea?
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Fhemmmy: 1:52pm On Mar 29, 2010
Paying his tithe might bring favor to him and his friend at the hospital.
Paying his tithe might even give the friend, the healing that is needed . . . .we seems to under-estimate the power of tithing.
However, it is a personal choice
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by pstbolanta: 2:00pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Paying his tithe might bring favor to him and his friend at the hospital.
Paying his tithe might even give the friend, the healing that is needed . . . .we seems to under-estimate the power of tithing.
However, it is a personal choice
fhemmmy i hope you know what you are talking about
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Fhemmmy: 2:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
pstbolanta:

fhemmmy i hope you know what you are talking about

Yes, i know what i am talking about . . . .He is the provider and the one-tenth that he is asking for will not end the world, besides, he is the that healeth and not the doctors
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 29, 2010
There is nothing like tithing in christianity,however christians are admnonished 2 always freely donate 2 dr churches of dr own freewill in line wit 2 cor 9:7.The so called pastor mentioned in d post is a callous n greedy animal
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by nuella2(f): 3:31pm On Mar 29, 2010
chukwudi44:

There is nothing like tithing in christianity,however christians are admnonished 2 always freely donate 2 dr churches of dr own freewill in line wit 2 cor 9:7.The so called pastor mentioned in d post is a callous n greedy animal

A man created in the image of God 'animal'?  How will you feel if someone calls you that for not singing the national anthem. Let our words edify at all times o pls.

1 Like

Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by karo93: 3:33pm On Mar 29, 2010
Gal.6.2
Help to carry one another’s burdens and in this way you will obey the law of Christ.

[meaning it comes first before everything including tithe.]

James.2.15
Suppose there are brothers or sisters who need clothes and don’t have enough to eat, what good is there in saying to them God bless you! keep warm and eat well if you do not give them the necessities of life.

That pastor is clearly greedy, wicked and self-centered
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 29, 2010
kenny888:

A friend of mine came to me for an advice that his friend is in the hospital seriously ill and begged him to assist him with some money so that an operation would be carried out on him.He came to me and said the only money with him at home is his tithe that i should advice him on what to do.i told him to give the money to the person in the hospital,he now gave me a shocker that he was also in his pastor"s place too,that his pastor told him to pay his tithe that God will take care of the man in the hospital. I began to wonder what kind of pastors do we have?

Well this is where u need to apply wisdom. The tithe must be paid by a believers at due time. Life is at stake now,save life first then tithe later. God will be happy if u saved life first. The tithe is not going to be eating by God but will be used for gods work. U can even aggregate ur tithe and pay the total due some at the end of the year i.e intaed of say N5000 monthly, u can pay N60,000 in dec its still same thing. To me save life first
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by nuella2(f): 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2010
Where is the link of this story? Now everyboby is posting without asking cos is against a pastor. If it was something positive about a pastor people will start asking questions. Christians are amazing.

Has your friend or you ever payed tithe before?  What is tithe to you? Whats your personal revelation about tithe?

You just dey find people mouth. For me, i will pay tithe and save live together. If it means borrowing to save the person but i will leave no one undone.

1 Like

Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 4:24pm On Mar 29, 2010
I don't know why we keep labouring this topic, whereas it is crystal clear from biblical teachings that a christian is under NO obligation to tithe and the type of tithing preached and practised today has no biblical basis, given the fact that it was arrived at through twisting scriptures a christian is under obligation to help those in need according to the teachings of Christ himself. Tithing as it is preached and practised today is a man made doctrine invented by a greedy clergy in the 6th century as a christian you cannot start comparing the words of christ himself to that of a greedy preacher who is just trying to take advantage of your ignorance of the scriptures.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Fhemmmy: 4:27pm On Mar 29, 2010
^^^ It is so scriptural to pay tithe . . . . . .
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 4:39pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

^^^ It is so scriptural to pay tithe . . . . . .

Quote at least one scripture in it's proper context that asks christians or even jews to "pay" tithes cos as far as i know there is no were in the bible were people were asked to "pay" tithes.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Fhemmmy: 4:46pm On Mar 29, 2010
Go and read Malachi 3 and then, tell me what is says
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 29, 2010
KunleOshob:

Quote at least one scripture in it's proper context that asks christians or even jews to "pay" tithes cos as far as i know there is no were in the bible were people were asked to "pay" tithes.

Matthew 23:23 (Hebrew- English paraphrased version) - And Jesus said to them : practise mercy, practise Justice, practise faithfulness and also i say to you do not neglect to practise Tithing
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by KunleOshob(m): 5:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Go and read Malachi 3 and then, tell me what is says

Malachi 3 is being twisted by preachers, it asked the jewish people [not christians] to bring food [not money]to the temple. This is totally different from pay tithes which is monetary. That aside it was never directed to christians but to jews under the levitical preisthood.

Tonye-t:

Matthew 23:23 (Hebrew- English paraphrased version) - And Jesus said to them : practise mercy, practise Justice, practise faithfulness and also i say to you do not neglect to practise Tithing

Trust tonye tithes to show up any time a tithing thread is started grin
Apart from the fact that as we all clearly know that the matthew 23:23 was directed to pharisees under the levitical priesthood, it is also glaring from scriptures that tithing practised by the jews is totally different from the 419 version being preached today. the jews only tithed from their agricultural produce and not from their monetary income tongue
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 5:37pm On Mar 29, 2010
Does it matter if i pay in monetary income or agricultural income? what should matter is that bible says tithe should be payed from one's increase and i get mine in monetary terms therefore i give mine in monetary terms. A farmer gets his/her increase in agricultural terms and thus pays such in agricultural.

*what matters is Tithe was commanded and we ought to follow the commandements of Jesus Christ*
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by karo93: 5:38pm On Mar 29, 2010
Matt.23.23(NKJV)
‘Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin and have neglected the weightier matters of the law; justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done without leaving the others undone

@Tonye-t
Your verse is in parallel-Jesus never "commanded"
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 5:44pm On Mar 29, 2010
Parallel you said?
Matt.23:23 (NKJV) - Woe to you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin and have neglected the weightier matters of the law; justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done without leaving the others undone

Matt 23:23 (TLB) "Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders-hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things-justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn't leave the more important things undone

Matthew 23:23 (HEPV) - And Jesus said to them : practise mercy, practise Justice, practise faithfulness and[b] also i say to you do not neglect to practise Tithing.[/b]

What is parallel in Jesus commanding the folks to do others without leaving the other undone at least i did not write those versions.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Tonyet1(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2010
Matt 23:23-24 (NIV)

23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former [ tithe] .

You may also wish to check New International Version my friend
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by manmustwac(m): 5:48pm On Mar 29, 2010
@kenny888
so if it was his brother sister or mother instead of his friend in hospital and his pastor insists that he must pay his tithes do you think common sense would allow him to do it?
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by karo93: 6:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
"commanded" in inverted commas meaning that was not his focus but justice et al.

parrallel meaning that your verse was preaching on tithing whilst he only said it in passing.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
Tithing as a law was given in deut 14:22-29 and not mal 3 8-10.it never involved money and was only paid ONCE IN 3 YRS
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ogajim(m): 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2010
Anytime the word "tithe" is mentioned, I am sure it kicks off another program in tonye-tithe's head, haba! Dudes been out what how long and tithe brought him from his Greek expedition.

OP: This tithe issue is a beaten path on NL, if you're sincere and not one of those "outreach ministries" on NL, you would have known the majority opinion on this subject. HELP YOUR FRIEND AND FORGET THAT FAKE PASTOR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ligxTfLDXnI
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 10:42pm On Mar 29, 2010
what is the definition of tithe.one over ten of your income for that week.so by helping your friend that an expenditure in regards to you obeying christ commandment on love.though the best thing is to ask for the direction of the holy spirit because this matter seems somehow complicated to me.i dont even known what to say.tithe are meant for pastor who are not working.pls dont ask me why becos i wont answer u.its d doctrine of my church.anglican
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by eghosaobas: 7:01am On Mar 30, 2010
These pastors can trick u to do wat u dont wish to do bicos of their sweet mouth, come to benin and see wat i am talking about.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by kenny888: 10:04am On Mar 30, 2010
Hmmmm
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 30, 2010
This is Gods Instruction on how Tithes should be spent:
Duet 26:12

When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled.

This means it is not a must that it should be given to a pastor but one or all of the groups named above. The sick person qualifies asa astarnger like the Starnger and the good samaritan
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by eghosaobas: 12:07pm On Mar 30, 2010
Aisha u ve spoken well,u are very correct wit the backing up chapter which u quoted but the most anoying part of it is that our pastors would rather force malachi 3:8 which is beign dwell on out of context.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by ogajim(m): 12:16pm On Mar 30, 2010
eghosaobas:

These pastors can trick u to do wat u dont wish to do bicos of their sweet mouth, come to benin and see wat i am talking about.
Oba to pe e, grin

Fact is that most Nigerian pastors these days will make the average person go BROKE trying to keep up with all their SCHEMES. One has to have a sound understanding of why our savior Jesus Christ was born, did his work and GAVE his life for our sakes (Not so that some p*i*m*p in suit can DUPE you).

I believe Nigerian churches take this GREED beyond Nigeria to the West where they try to trick you to forget your bills, dependents relatives at home and focus on "your responsibilities to the Church)

Don't be FOOLED, they are in it for the CASH.
Re: Assisting A Friend Or Pay Tithe. by Ghredon(f): 12:21pm On Mar 30, 2010
cut the money half half. do me i do you nobody go vex

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What's Always Taking You Back To Sin? / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important / The More I Know, The More I Feel Like Not Attending Church Again (pentecostal)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.