Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Ask The Pharmacist: Can I Cut My Pills In Half To Make Them Easier To Swallow? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ask The Pharmacist: Can I Cut My Pills In Half To Make Them Easier To Swallow? (382 Views)

Men’s Testicles Could Make Them More Vulnerable To Coronavirus - New Research / Why You Should Avoid Eating Fruits During Medication - Pharmacist / Important : How Can I Get High Blood Pressure Pills In Nigeria ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ask The Pharmacist: Can I Cut My Pills In Half To Make Them Easier To Swallow? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
Q: Can I ever cut my pills in half to make them easier to swallow?
A. A lot of tablets can be quite big but always ask your doctor or pharmacist before cutting them up because it can change the dose and this can be an issue for some medication with a very precise dosage, for example, some of those used for bipolar disorder or for heart rhythm problems and heart failure.
You could end up getting slightly too little or too much, making the drug less effective or causing side-effects, warns Anshu Bhimbat of LloydsPharmacy in Buckinghamshire.
Some tablets have a special coating to delay the drug release: cutting them can make the dose ineffective or irritate the stomach.
You may be able to get the same or a similar drug in a liquid form - talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
If it is okay to cut your tablets, use a pill cutter - a device a bit like a pencil sharpener - rather than a knife or breaking it with your hands.

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4706390/Can-cut-pills-half-make-easier-swallow.html

(1) (Reply)

The 6 Best Hydrating Foods For Diabetes / See Baby Born ‘pregnant’ With His Twin Brother / Flood Takes Over Tamale Metropolis In Ghana, Residents Suffer Defecation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.