Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,177 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct (28457 Views)

Why Is Igbo Language Going Extinct? / Has The Nigerian Vulture Gone Extinct? / Okwû Igbo Nke Zuruoha (Igbo Words That Have Gone Global) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Godwin16(m): 9:33am On Jul 31, 2017
who language room? #teamgarrirepublic
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Muzanga(f): 9:35am On Jul 31, 2017
Pavore9:

A good number of those kids in igboland now are likely to migrate to other parts in adulthood, the question is will they transmit the language when raising their children there?

I speak igbo fluently despite being born and raised in Lagos because my parents made deliberate effort towards it.

I got work to work for some years in rural communities in Enugu and Anambra , I did see how disconnected a lot of kids who were brought home for the Christmas and New Year celebrations were. Why should grandparents struggle to communicate with their children?
and i am still telling u that majority of them will never leave the east. We are too many for our language to go extinct so calm down. Besides there are many igbo kids like you too who speak igbo but least outside the east. I and my siblings included.

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Donclaracuzo: 9:39am On Jul 31, 2017
mazimee:

That is not possible, you don't know what you are talking about.
But, he is right. our children in our mother land now find it difficult to speak Igbo language talkless of those living in the cities.

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 31, 2017
Good job Op but this seems to be concentrated on a particular section of the country, I'd bet there are more languages going extinct on a national scale.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Idaikwo2017: 9:57am On Jul 31, 2017
most of these language extinction happens in northern Nigeria. why?
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by pezeji(m): 9:57am On Jul 31, 2017
d fact dat u r a northerner doesn't mean u r hausa... most just prefer oda ppls language yle theirs fades away
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by abbeyty(m): 10:10am On Jul 31, 2017
Bobnotrouble:

English is rapidly taking it over. The adults hardly speak without injecting English words. While most of the younger ones don't even speak it at all. Something must be done to stop this ugly trend. They're not the only victims of this negligence. Almost all the ethnic groups are affected.

I get piss off sometimes when i watch some Yoruba movies where the actors and the actresses can't make a simply sentence in Yoruba without injecting English in it, in fact they speak more English than Yoruba in some of these so called yoruba movies

3 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by HMZi: 10:12am On Jul 31, 2017
north ... Lol
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Omoedeki: 10:12am On Jul 31, 2017
ymimiz:
The pigin language is going extinct... Most Nigerians now speak queens English
[color=#990000][/color] You this scarmmer. You have started again. You did not credit me the 30Gd I paid for. Now you want to scarm others. go find another work to do.

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Dalecoin: 10:24am On Jul 31, 2017
Unity
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by OmolaraParis(f): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2017
I can attest to Basa guma, I studied linguistics and I was given a project topic on the dialect Basa guma, I travelled all the way down to Niger state to realize the dialect has gone extinct, I was traumatized and frustrated but I later opted for Iwaro dialect spoken in the Akoko area of ondo state and I totally enjoyed myself because my informant (God bless Mrs Oladapo) was super nice.
The dialect is gone and gone for good bcuz not even one single speaker was found.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by GoodMuyis(m): 10:30am On Jul 31, 2017
shadeyinka:
@GoodMuyis

This is very scary!
Most of the non-housa languages in the north will go extinct withing the next 100 years. The reason is that they have so many small ethnic groups that the probability of a Tangale man marrying a woman from Tangale is low. Hausa is a common language, so when a Berom man marries a Gbagi woman, they speak Hausa to themselves and their children. The children grow up neither speaking Gwari nor Berom.

Seriously this is a big issue, can you imagine years ago, a young fellow cannot speak in adage in front of elders, that is considered disrespect, yet they expect us to be learning.

Another thing is that political atmosphere is not encouraging, the mass media is all about western culture, Native Language is not encouraged in Schools anymore. As an individual Learning to read and write in Yoruba did actually help me in English Language while in Primary.

The minority North is understandable, they are few, but what about Majority Yoruba?
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by IKEPENTECOST: 10:33am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:
Igbo will be next if care is not taken
Abakaliki, Nsukka, Eziagu, Igbo musicians, Catholic Church, Anglican Church, Methodist Church, etc can never allow such to happen, shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by shadeyinka(m): 10:35am On Jul 31, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Seriously this is a big issue, can you imagine years ago, a young fellow cannot speak in adage in front of elders, that is considered disrespect, yet they expect us to be learning.

Another thing is that political atmosphere is not encouraging, the mass media is all about western culture, Native Language is not encouraged in Schools anymore. As an individual Learning to read and write in Yoruba did actually help me in English Language while in Primary.

The minority North is understandable, they are few, but what about Majority Yoruba?

I am for a deliberate revival of the language. Not even minding the several Yoruba dialects that are being displaced by the Oyo dialect.

God help us

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Vince77(m): 10:58am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:

My urhobo friends think their language is next tho.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by specco(m): 10:59am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:
But which language will replace Igbo in Igboland? Is it Hausa, Yoruba or Efik?

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by redsun(m): 11:02am On Jul 31, 2017
A language disappears when it's speakers ceased to evolve . They become slaves and subject to higher cultures with evolving language and mentality.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Chukazu: 11:03am On Jul 31, 2017
mazimee:

That is not possible, you don't know what you are talking about.

Sentiment aside... Igbo language is very much endangered

The only hope I have is in Anambra, those folks never fail to speak the Igbo language, so proud of them... IMO and Abia Peeps keep derailing

2 Likes

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by attackgat: 11:12am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:

Its a possibility, but it wont be in my life time. In many Igbo cities, it is now getting harder to meet a younger adult who who can speak Igbo without adding English.

I have met Igbo kids in Lagos who not only cannot speak Igbo, but are actually proud that they cant speak their native tongue as they have been brainwashed to believe that Igbo is inferior to English.

I have been told that Basket mouth is from Abia state but cannot speak a single word of Igbo
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Chukazu: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:
na lie, u just dey try describe am. This language has to be original

Tell me one language that hundred percent original?
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by ivolt: 11:15am On Jul 31, 2017
Alexis11:
Central Yoruba has swallowed many mother tongues in Yoruba land.

For the greater good.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Chukazu: 11:24am On Jul 31, 2017
Richy4:

Do you have a link to back your claim? If yes, I want to see it ASAP pls...If Not then...

Just Google "endangerment of IBO language" and know better, not worth arguing about
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by WORLDPEACE(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2017
specco:

But which language will replace Igbo in Igboland? Is it Hausa, Yoruba or Efik?
English could.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by mu2sa2: 11:49am On Jul 31, 2017
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by CAPTAIND5235(m): 12:09pm On Jul 31, 2017
very educative post to me
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by MbaanabaraAgu(m): 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2017
Each time I come across topics on language extinction, my mind goes straight to my beloved Igbo language, I wrote on the downward trend of Igbo language sometime ago here on Nairaland but people shouted it's not possible, the language is going down with the speed of light, Igbos prefer conversing in English than their language and those born outside Igbo land can't speak it because their parents refused to teach them
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Madeu(m): 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2017
OmolaraParis:
I can attest to Basa guma, I studied linguistics and I was given a project topic on the dialect Basa guma, I travelled all the way down to Niger state to realize the dialect has gone extinct, I was traumatized and frustrated but I later opted for Iwaro dialect spoken in the Akoko area of ondo state and I totally enjoyed myself because my informant (God bless Mrs Oladapo) was super nice.
The dialect is gone and gone for good bcuz not even one single speaker was found.

I sent you a pm. Pls reply me.
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by IyfeNamikaze(m): 12:41pm On Jul 31, 2017
SUPOL:
. what is "phone" in Igbo?
. ekwe ntị
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by scholes0(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2017
OmolaraParis:

Is Iwaro no a dialect of Yoruba spoken by the people of Iwaro Oka akoko?
Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by Ikwerreboy(m): 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2017
Thesame way the Original ikwerre language was replaced with some igbo words today due to domination before and during Eastern region.

This is the major reason why we the Ikwerre people and the Niger delta have decided to reject the igbos with their biafra as we did before now and forever.

Well God day.

1 Like

Re: 10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct by OmolaraParis(f): 2:06pm On Jul 31, 2017
Madeu:

I sent you a pm. Pls reply me.
I replied you already, I hope you receive it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Brief History Of The Ikwerre People Of Rivers State. / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Oshiomhole Can Never Appoint The Oba Of Benin, Edo Youths Scream Out!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.