Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja (1739 Views)

FG To Reintroduce Toll Gates Over Bad Roads / Fg’ll Reintroduce Tollgates On Federal Roads –FERMA / Fg To Reintroduce Toll Gates, Fuel Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by asha80(m): 12:57am On Feb 08, 2010
Aliero to reintroduce Okada in Abuja
National News Feb 7, 2010 By Henry Umoru

ABUJA—MINISTER of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, Senator Muhammad Adamu Aliero is set to reverse the policy of his predecessor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai by bringing back to the streets of Abuja, commercial motor cycles popularly called ‘Okada’.

The Minister who spoke through the Secretary, Transport Secretariat of the FCTA, Segun Awolowo weekend in Abuja, explained that there was the need to re-introduce commercial motorcyclists into the city to encourage speedy economic growth.

“Whatever we are doing, we must face the reality on ground because it is more economical to use Okada. Not all Nigerians can afford the luxury of paying for taxies”, he said. It would be recalled that El-Rufai on 1st October 2006 ordered all commercial motorcyclists out of the Federal Capital City, FCC, where he stated that they were constituting nuisance, making it difficult for people to drive well in a capital city that was competing favourably with other big cities of the world.

According to him, the sacking of Okada from the streets of Abuja would help reduce cases of accidents and crime rates. To make it work, as at January, 2007, the VIO impounded about 5,000 motorcycles, 2,255 motorcycles were seized in October, 396 in November and 450 in December 2006 while over 500 arrests were made in January 2007.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/07/aliero-to-reintroduce-okada-in-abuja/
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by paddylo1(m): 12:58am On Feb 08, 2010
@asha 80

u live in abuja right?
is this a good or bad development,from your perspective
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by asha80(m): 1:01am On Feb 08, 2010
paddy_lo:

@asha 80

u live in abuja right?
is this a good or bad development,from your perspective

I do not live in Abuja.

Tricycles will make more sense to me.Okadas are simply a nuisance for a place lke abuja.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by paddylo1(m): 1:07am On Feb 08, 2010
I do not live in Abuja.

Tricycles will make more sense to me.Okadas are simply a nuisance for a place lke abuja.
ok i must have mistaken u for someone else. . .
personally i feel okada should be restricted to the satellite towns

i have rode an occasional okada in abuja and the roads are just too wide for that
plus that was some 5yr ago and am sure the streets are busier now

i wonder why these FCT ministers are so clueless ever since El-rufai stepped down
its been hard to fill his shoes
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by tayoast(m): 1:10am On Feb 08, 2010
somethin tells me his superiors 'll shoot it down.

y does he need 2 bring 'em bak anyway??
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by wmobile: 1:15am On Feb 08, 2010
That would start robbery and undue death toll now in the peaceful city.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by nduchucks: 1:26am On Feb 08, 2010
This is not a good development at all and will result to more deaths due to accidents at the level that we saw before El Rufai banned Okada.

Why can't the minister help to finance commercial buses and assist businessmen with government backed loans to buy these kinds of buses.

I can't remember the number of times I almost ran over and killed a wayward okada driver in Abuja - this is very bad news.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by sjeezy8: 1:27am On Feb 08, 2010
naw
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by DrKitaun(m): 2:06am On Feb 08, 2010
If Lagos is awash with enough okada riders, why not Abuja ?

what makes ABJ any different ?
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by Godalone(m): 7:53am On Feb 08, 2010
It is not a good development,we don't want Okada in this city, it is better he introduce tricycle.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by edoyad(m): 8:27am On Feb 08, 2010
If there is no market for it, it will die naturally. But i don't see why abuja should be any different from any Nigerian city/town where okada is a major form of transportation and employment for youths. Abuja as it is today is a mirage and not reflective of a Nigerian city.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by Afam(m): 8:46am On Feb 08, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

Exactly! The reality on ground is that okada helps a lot in moving from one place to the other faster than other means especially when there is traffic or even when the cost of picking a taxi is high.

As a realist I support okada, I use them and will continue to maintain that what is needed is effort to make it safer.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by nedu2u(m): 8:58am On Feb 08, 2010
@ Afam, in lagos trafic is much more serious than abuja and perhaps okada is restricted only in the main town not in the satelite towns. if u live in abuja, or ever lived there, u cannot support this kind of idea. ITS PURELY RETROGRESSIVE and by no means economical as claimed. Senator Aliero should give it another thought instead of taking us two steps backward.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by Afam(m): 9:10am On Feb 08, 2010
nedu2u:

@ Afam, in lagos trafic is much more serious than abuja and perhaps okada is restricted only in the main town not in the satelite towns. if u live in abuja, or ever lived there, u cannot support this kind of idea. ITS PURELY RETROGRESSIVE and by no means economical as claimed. Senator Aliero should give it another thought instead of taking us two steps backward.

Thanks for your comments.

Which is cheaper as a mode of transportation? Okada or taxis?

If Okada then the ripple effect on the vast majority of the residents that would save money while using them to attend to other important issues would be massive.

Unless of course it is an established fact that taxis are indeed cheaper when compared to okada that I see as both a cheaper and faster means of transportation.

My position does not in any way support the recklessness by some okada riders, right now I am focusing on the cost effectiveness.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by DatNiggaAk(m): 10:24am On Feb 08, 2010
Aliero is just a dumb, clueless idiotman
the fool is just messing up the beautiful city El rufai created
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by KnowAll(m): 10:38am On Feb 08, 2010
If any city in Nigeria should not have Okada, then one city that qualifies is Abuja. This is a city that was formelly born with all intent and porpose in 1991 bearly 20 years ago, and the next great developmental leap is the re-introduction of Okada, clearly the minister of that city has ran out of ideas.  

What we are witnessing is when unqualified people are made to head what is meant to be a mordern city this is what u get. Aleiro if one checks his background well, has he ever lived in a mordern metropolis b4, does he know what makes a city ticks, this is a man who spent the best part of 8 years being the Govenor of the backwater called Kebbi State. I have always said it,  Yaradua's govement is about making money for his family. All the top choice jobs where giving to Hausa /Fulani people with a mandate to remit to madame Turai. That is how Yaradua's regime works.

The Abuja bolevard project, which is one of the high profile projects of Aleiro's regime has being abondoned. The contract has already be awarded but the money has gone walkings noting on the ground to show this project is on going. I was privvy to information from a friend who runs a restaurant in London who wants to set up shop in the business district.

The boulevard was going to be about 1.6 miles long and cost between between N2 billion and N5billion Naira. It was meant to be a mix development of shops, city centre flats, and cinemas and so on,  just to give the city a soul . At the moment Abuja is souless city, the most souless city in Nigeria, it is a dead city, we have roads that leads to no where, the boulevard would have being a focal point for the city dwellers just like Oxfrod street in London or Manhatten in New York or the champs elysee in Paris.

But Alas that is not to be as our honarable minister has shared the contract money with his co-conspirators and instead of giving the city a befitting world class business district has rather chosen to do it the almejeri way, opening the city roads to millions of almerjri bike riders that would be scuttling down the city centre in a mock macarbe bike race, what an awful sight that would be.

What we have in our hands is an illetrate minister with an illetrate policy. Come to think of it why has no Southerner being the minister since the inception of the FCT, is it wholly the exclusive right of Northerners, just wondering.  undecided

Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by DatNiggaAk(m): 10:51am On Feb 08, 2010
KnowAll:

What we have in our hands is an illetrate minister with an illetrate policy. Come to think of it why has no Southerner being the minister since the inception of the FCT, is it wholly the exclusive right of Northerners, just wondering.  undecided

GOOD QUESTION.
in the spirit of true federalism, why haven't we had a southern minister of the FCT?
later they would be trying to claim plateau state where they are settlers
meanwhile the federal capital has never had a settler as its minister.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by naijaswag1: 10:59am On Feb 08, 2010
This minister is living in the past.Why must the fool introduce Okada back,don't the anu ofia love how serene and organized the city is nowadays? How many of the big cities he has traveled to in his lifetime has he encountered okada?Instead of improving the transport system through metros,subways,street rails and other good means,he is becoming foolish.Why don't the idiots give all okada men loan to buy a taxi and pay back.We can afford it.All they know is the loot the treasury.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by dustydee: 11:02am On Feb 08, 2010
Why do people regard anything this man who calls himslef Aliero has to say?He is bereft of ideas and i wonder what kind of future we have as a country if the best we can have as a minister is this clueless jackass who went abt spoiling peoples cars with so called speed bumps.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by naijaswag1: 11:07am On Feb 08, 2010
dustydee:

Why do people regard anything this man who calls himslef Aliero has to say?He is bereft of ideas and i wonder what kind of future we have as a country if the best we can have as a minister is this clueless jackass who went abt spoiling peoples cars with so called speed bumps.

Hey the speed bumps are good.Where are you hurrying to? You want a wonderful city but you also want to go about murdering people. When you jam someone,that is when your eyes will clear.If you want to drive fast there are long distances in Nigeria to drive,try Sokoto-Lagos and see if you won't get tired of driving fast grin
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by dustydee: 11:12am On Feb 08, 2010
naija_swag:

Hey the[b] speed bumps are good[/b].Where are you hurrying to? You want a wonderful city but you also want to go about murdering people. When you jam someone,that is when your eyes will clear.If you want to drive fast there are long distances in Nigeria to drive,try Sokoto-Lagos and see if you won't get tired of driving fast grin
If they break speed then we will appreciate that,but the dont.The best way to avoid too much damage to your car is to drive fast across the bumps.The one's done by Berger are better.They are real speed breakers.Just one but you have to slow down,not too high but effective without vibration.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by naijaswag1: 11:17am On Feb 08, 2010
dustydee:

If they break speed then we will appreciate  that,but the dont.The best way to avoid too much damage to your car is to drive fast across the bumps.The one's done by Berger are better.They are real speed breakers.Just one but you have to slow down,not too high but effective without vibration.
Since we are not civil enough to obey zebra crossing,when we see pedestrians, that's when we step on the gas more than ever.
I wonder if it is only in Nigeria that they have speed breakers.
All speed breaker contracts to Berger! grin
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by dustydee: 11:22am On Feb 08, 2010
naija_swag:

Since we are not civil enough to obey zebra crossing,when we see pedestrians, that's when we step on the gas more than ever.
I wonder if it is only in Nigeria that they have speed breakers.
All speed breaker contracts to Berger! grin
I DIDN'T SAY THAT OH! anyway I can construct speed bumps too.Give me the contract grin
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by naijaswag1: 11:25am On Feb 08, 2010
dustydee:

I DIDN'T SAY THAT OH! anyway I can construct speed bumps too.Give me the contract grin

Do I in any manner have a semblance to Aliero?
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 08, 2010
asha 80:

Aliero to reintroduce Okada in Abuja
National News Feb 7, 2010 By Henry Umoru

ABUJA—MINISTER of the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA, Senator Muhammad Adamu Aliero is set to reverse the policy of his predecessor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai by bringing back to the streets of Abuja, commercial motor cycles popularly called ‘Okada’.

The Minister who spoke through the Secretary, Transport Secretariat of the FCTA, Segun Awolowo weekend in Abuja, explained that there was the need to re-introduce commercial motorcyclists into the city to encourage speedy economic growth.

“Whatever we are doing, we must face the reality on ground because it is more economical to use Okada. Not all Nigerians can afford the luxury of paying for taxies”, he said. It would be recalled that El-Rufai on 1st October 2006 ordered all commercial motorcyclists out of the Federal Capital City, FCC, where he stated that they were constituting nuisance, making it difficult for people to drive well in a capital city that was competing favourably with other big cities of the world.

According to him, the sacking of Okada from the streets of Abuja would help reduce cases of accidents and crime rates. To make it work, as at January, 2007, the VIO impounded about 5,000 motorcycles, 2,255 motorcycles were seized in October, 396 in November and 450 in December 2006 while over 500 arrests were made in January 2007.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/02/07/aliero-to-reintroduce-okada-in-abuja/
this man is following the path of his predecessor,Aliyu moddibbo who came into office only to reverse the policies of el-rufai,thereby prompting his removal from the cabinet.i dont subscribe to re-introduction of okada in the abuja metropolis.the city centre has always been the pride of the capital territory which need to be upheld instead of defacing it with okada riders.he should rather introduce more green cabs and london taxis.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by dustydee: 11:31am On Feb 08, 2010
naija_swag:

Do I in any manner have a semblance to Aliero?
let me see your profile picture before I answer. wink
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by tundewoods(m): 1:05pm On Feb 08, 2010
Lets be honest to ourselves,the re-introduction of Okada as a form of transportation to Abuja is quite an ok move to be candid if they can get them bikers to obey basic safety precautions and not have them riding like speed demons.
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by illusion2: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2010
Just another clueless northerner (we have southern ones too),who rather than opt out of a job that is beyond his abilities,would rather use 'reversal' as a strategy. . .

We have had too many of them for one lifetime & this is one of the reasons we have not moved forward as a nation.

Really sad. . . . . , cry cry cry
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by xterra2(m): 11:07pm On Feb 08, 2010
That would be a very stupid idea,we dont want Okadas they are so many of them at the rural places of abuja and many tricycles too like in gwarinpa and garki,
WE SAY NO!!!!please i hope it aint happening
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by adekampe: 11:26pm On Feb 08, 2010
chaos would return to the FCT. . .some of these govt functionaries can be so clueless
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by g1(m): 11:40pm On Feb 08, 2010
he had better not try it, because i will personally assasinate him, i have still not forgiven the fool for those speed-breakers he installed that make my car vibrate as if say i dey for haiti when earthquake dey hit angry angry angry
Re: Aliero To Reintroduce Okada In Abuja by ojesymsym: 1:52pm On Feb 09, 2010
Dr Kitaun:

what makes ABJ any different ?

Abuja is different from lagos is a number of ways too numerous to mention. Other cities in the country are now in post Okada era, eg port harcourt and calabar and some other cities in the east.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? / The Opulent Life Of Diezani Allison-madueke & Family / The New I.g.p Phone Number!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.