Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? (1738 Views)

I'm About To Ascend The Presidency: Which Sector Should I Attend To First? / Which Sector Should Change Start From? / Name One Thing Nigeria Can Be Proud Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by Africanson: 5:30pm On Oct 05, 2010
Recently the president have said the 6-3-3-4 education system is a failure. As I read the reaction of people here on Nairaland it strucked me Nigeria is actually dying slowly as a nation. I totally feel depressed and sick after following that thread.

Now, my question is; is there any sector in Nigeria that is performing well?. From education, power sector (electicity), security , law & order, all government ministries & departments; e.t.c, e.t.c.

Is there any sector in this country that we as Nigerians should be proud of?.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by Phlota(f): 6:58pm On Oct 05, 2010
Honestly, None
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2010
Corruption sector

1 Like

Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2010
"I search, I search
"No one, no one
"I look, I look
"No one, no one

remember the song? now sing along, grin
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by makajibbz(m): 11:35pm On Oct 05, 2010
anti-bomb squad grin
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by REALTRUTH1: 12:13am On Oct 06, 2010
egift:

"I search, I search
"No one, no one
"I look, I look
"No one, no one
remember the song? now sing along, grin
You did not searched and looked very well,,,,There is one very rewarding and effective sector doing well,,,,its the CHURCH sector,,,,
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by ada24: 12:17am On Oct 06, 2010
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by paddylo1(m): 12:19am On Oct 06, 2010
The Nigerian Private sector is pretty much an area to be proud of

as well as our military

thats about it. .

If u move most of what u named(like power etc) to the private sector. . u will also be proud of it in a few yrs

Govt is mostly corrupt and innefficient in all countries of the world and expect anythingg they control to be corrupt and innefficient as well

The fallacy is in trying to have GOVT controlled enterprises as a beacon of pride in a nation its just not how things work

In america the most admired enterprises are usually private sector companies like a GOOGLE or APPLE

Govt and Congress usually falls in at the bottom of the list. . .
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by chyz(m): 12:28am On Oct 06, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

You did not searched and looked very well,,,,There is one very rewarding and effective sector doing well,,,,its the CHURCH sector,,,,

and i guess the MOSQUE sector is also abi?
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by TPS360: 1:16am On Oct 06, 2010
The churches are doing well undecided
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 2:35am On Oct 06, 2010
makajibbz:

anti-bomb squad grin

You mean like the men picking up 1/10 bomb scene with Hitech equipment below

Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by googles: 2:43am On Oct 06, 2010
the money printing sector. . even wen we cant afford the money they still print out regardless sad
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 2:47am On Oct 06, 2010
paddy_lo:

The Nigerian Private sector is pretty much an area to be proud of

Na lie
Nigerian Private sector is seriously suffering
- Little or No Electricity (spend a fortune on generators)
- No Capital (Sanusi on the move - banks not lending)
- No Security (Worst case Aba - militants will come for collections)
- Raw materials (for where?)
- Bad Economic policies (putting the cart in front of the horse)
- Youth Empowerment (a scam - like the Ist October cake)
- Agricultural loan (taking over by people who will never plant a seed)
- Nigeria Army/Arm Forces (Hard labour - No relevant gadget - what they have is correct discipline)

And many more like that.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by smooooooth: 2:48am On Oct 06, 2010
are u just learning that nigeria is a failed state!!! nothing is working, nothing.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 2:55am On Oct 06, 2010
googles:

the money printing sector. . even wen we cant afford the money they still print out regardless  sad

Like this one below (what purpose does it serve except these two:
- To also allow Sanusi (na my guy ooo) put his signature on our notes.
- Give Govt opportunity to get more security vote from the 17 billion Anniversary budget.

See more http:///m/photos/view/New-50-Naira-Note

Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by googles: 3:14am On Oct 06, 2010
F'real the new note is the dumbest move ever made in nigeria angry angry angry angry

Sanusi is just one step away from being psychotic who needs a new note to celebrate independence ? undecided

All these basterds need to die !!! angry
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by MRMoneyE(m): 3:20am On Oct 06, 2010
REGRET IN ALL SECTORS
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by tpiah: 4:42am On Oct 06, 2010
scamming is still doing well.

kidnapping too.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 6:46am On Oct 06, 2010
tpiah:

scamming is still doing well.

kidnapping too.

Yes ooo.
On Scamming
- The Govt spent 17 Billion plus on 1/10 - Nigerians are still the same.
- 71 Million in sharing plates Bags of rice
- The largest universal cake to be baked on 1/10

On Kidnapping

- They invited 'chief' Kidnappers for a cup of Coffee in Aso Rock Villa
- Aba is down the drain and the Governor still wants more.

Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by cpatra(f): 7:07am On Oct 06, 2010
Nigeria is a failure, simple. And there's no hope of better Nigeria, as long as we keep having clowns to head govt. offices.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by Africanson: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2010
@all
After going through your responses here I have concluded there's no need for me to keep living in this country. I have tried many times encouraging myself to stay in Nigeria even as I have a passport to leave Nigeria any day to most countries in the world without a visa.

The reason I will be leaving is quite simple. I have now found out for myself why there's a lot of crime in Nigeria. Reason is because the structures for legitimate success are not being laid down by our government to help those with the brain. I have now learnt why it's easier to get rich in Nigeria commiting crime. I' am not saying people don't make it here as well but it's like sucking water out of rock. I have to try my luck somewhere else overseas. I'am just in tears for Nigeria now.

I need to raise money so I would be selling my car; toyota 4 runner jeep 97/98 model. Anybody need it please contact me. I want to leave as soon as possible maybe within 3 weeks. Thanks.

Please I' am not joking.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by AjanleKoko: 10:42am On Oct 06, 2010
Apart from paddy_lo, everybody else wrote crap.

@Topic,

1. Finance sector (we spawned home-grown institutions like GT which has been studied at Harvard and featured in a HBS case study).
Despite the setbacks, we have done well. We probably have the second-largest traded assets portfolio in Africa, even with all the crashing and burning of the last couple of years. We've come a long way from the staid financial sector of the 80s, where you wait in the banking hall to get your tally number, to a tech-driven sector (10,000 ATMs, over 20 million cards, and counting).
I was very pleased to use my GT Naira Mastercard on an ATM in China and India this year. I've also ordered countless stuff on Amazon and had them shipped safely to my place in Lagos. Abuse Sanusi all you want, I don't care much for him anyway, but the sector has moved ahead.

2. Telecoms: Youngest and fastest-growing in Africa, and the largest telecom market in Africa. We've caught up in a very short time with other high-growth markets. The sector also provides employment directly and indirectly to maybe a hundred thousand people. Don't forget Main One, the privately owned undersea cable which has gone live. In Nigeria alone we have a plethora of next-gen offerings, HSPA and WIMAX. Even in Europe, I don't know of any WIMAX networks commercially operating, but in Nigeria we have at least 4.
Internet penetration went from 0.1% in 2000 to 14% in 2010. Need I say more?

These are the two in which i feel we've made the most progress. But I think we have made progress. I know we have a long way to go, but Nigeria is changing, and changing fast. Now we have private universities that are competing well with the public ones. That's the way it should be in Nigeria, like paddy_lo said, with the private sector leading the way. For me, we are moving forward.

Africanson:

@all
After going through your responses here I have concluded there's no need for me to keep living in this country. I have tried many times encouraging myself to stay in Nigeria even as I have a passport to leave Nigeria any day to most countries in the world without a visa.

The reason I will be leaving is quite simple. I have now found out for myself why there's a lot of crime in Nigeria. Reason is because the structures for legitimate success are not being laid down by our government to help those with the brain. I have now learnt why it's easier to get rich in Nigeria commiting crime. I' am not saying people don't make it here as well but it's like sucking water out of rock. I have to try my luck somewhere else overseas. I'am just in tears for Nigeria now.

I need to raise money so I would be selling my car; toyota 4 runner jeep 97/98 model. Anybody need it please contact me. I want to leave as soon as possible maybe within 3 weeks. Thanks.

Please I' am not joking.

Are you really serious?  undecided

Then all Italians should run away from Italy because of Berlusconi, the Sicilians and Calabrians. Crime ko, crime ni. Nigerians are so naive about these things. Don't be lazy or find an excuse, roll your sleeves up and find something to do in Nigeria. Nobody is forcing you to be corrupt. Lots of people are in Nigeria and are not corrupt, and are doing pretty good. Better stop dreaming.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by makajibbz(m): 10:53am On Oct 06, 2010
AjanleKoko:

2. Telecoms: Youngest and fastest-growing in Africa, and the largest telecom market in Africa. We've caught up in a very short time with other high-growth markets. The sector also provides employment directly and indirectly to maybe a hundred thousand people. Don't forget Main One, the privately owned undersea cable which has gone live. In Nigeria alone we have a plethora of next-gen offerings, HSPA and WIMAX. Even in Europe, I don't know of any WIMAX networks commercially operating, but in Nigeria we have at least 4.
Internet penetration went from 0.1% in 2000 to 14% in 2010. Need I say more?

this one isvery true.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by tpiah: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2010
egift:

Yes ooo.
On Scamming
- The Govt spent 17 Billion plus on 1/10 - Nigerians are still the same.
- 71 Million in sharing plates Bags of rice
- The largest universal cake to be baked on 1/10

On Kidnapping

- They invited 'chief' Kidnappers for a cup of Coffee in Aso Rock Villa
- Aba is down the drain and the Governor still wants more.

well, bush gave out tax credits.

nigeria gave out rice.

on kidnapping and scamming- the average nigerian joe is certainly making a living from them.

as per your photo- nigerians dont like queueing.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by Africanson: 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2010
@AjanleKoko
I' am not a lazy person which is why I want to travel to a place where a hard working person like myself can gain his/her worth. As a Nigerian I' am on my own, the government have no structures in place to assist my development in any where.

Just look above and you can see the amount of persimism; that alone should tell you success woun't easily come your way in this type of a persimistic society.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by AjanleKoko: 6:28pm On Oct 06, 2010
Africanson:

@AjanleKoko
I' am not a lazy person which is why I want to travel to a place where a hard working person like myself can gain his/her worth. As a Nigerian I' am on my own, the government have no structures in place to assist my development in any where.

Just look above and you can see the amount of persimism; that alone should tell you success woun't easily come your way in this type of a persimistic society.

Seriously now, I'll ask you, straight up, some questions, and I need as honest an answer as you can possibly provide, for each of them.

How many things have you actually failed at in Nigeria?
Have you ever been in a situation where you were unable to go to school, any school, for lack of funds?
Are you living under the bridge, or on the street, or have you ever been homeless at any time?
Are you unable to find any kind of job, or means of livelihood?
How many businesses have you started and failed at? How much money have you ever lost from investing in Nigeria?
Have you ever been in a position where you do not know where the next meal is coming from?
Have you ever been sick, or being in a position where you watched your family member actually die of an easily preventable illness
?

Now I'm not trying to be sarcastic. And guess what:
All those questions I asked you. I can tell you for free that every single one of those things have happened to me, either directly, or to my nuclear family, in which case it eventually affected me directly. And guess what, we had nowhere to flee to. We just had to stick those situations and ride them out, most of the time. Other times, we got a lucky break, or should I say divine intervention.

The truth is, as individuals in Nigeria, we like to over-dramatize our situation, probably due to our elaborate and colourful personas. Most of the time, we are just plain lazy, ignorant, or simply encumbered by hindrances we created ourselves.

People conveniently write about how useless the educational system is, and how it has all collapsed. But people are still graduating from here to pick up scholarships and study advanced degrees all over the world. Private universities are all over the place, yet we prefer to groan about the government schools (which are not that cheap any more, anyway), and proceed to go abroad to pay a minimum of ten times what any private university in Nigeria is charging, minus living expenses.

How can a totally collapsed, useless system produce anything? Same with infrastructure and amenities. We complain so much about what we don't have, that we don't ever stop to think about how life would be in a place like Somalia, where they have nothing at all.

My submission. To a large extent, Nigerians are generally opportunists, cynics, and hypocrites. Whatever problems we say we have, we are responsible for every one of them. And it is fully on us to fix them and move ahead, else the struggle continues. We will surely get whatever we paid for, guaranteed.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 11:36pm On Oct 06, 2010
@ AjanleKoko:
What have you achieved in Nigeria as a result of the 'sound' system of the government

The truth is that most Nigerians are wise, creative, industrious, can persevere, independent and most attributes that will make one very successful in life. But the system of governance it so terrible that if you do not join them in playing dirty (stealing, scamming, siphoning public funds, producing sub-standards, ling, etc) you will be poor and keep struggling like some of us.

All we ask is for government to create an enabling environment where everyone that really want to do something can get the support to start and they should punish those do wrongs (like stealing, scamming, siphoning public funds, etc)
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by egift(m): 11:38pm On Oct 06, 2010
We do not need plates bags of rice, we need opportunities in this country
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by TewMuch: 11:45pm On Oct 06, 2010
There is no functioning sector in the country. Except you know something we dont.
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by lekside44(m): 11:53am On Oct 07, 2010
we should be proud of our culture
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by makajibbz(m): 11:57am On Oct 07, 2010
lekside44:

we should be proud of our culture
everybody is proud of thier culture, its not a big deal. find another sector, undecided
Re: What Sector Should We Nigerians Be Proud Of? by googles: 12:05pm On Oct 07, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Apart from paddy_lo, everybody else wrote crap.

how dumb  undecided

just because your line of thots are different from other pples, dat makes watever they write crap yea ?

do you expect err'body to see Nigeria thru' your eyes ?

err'body knows where the shoe is pinching them just cos your shoe is working for you doesn't mean the next man is a leper

funny how pple think once an opinion contradict theirs it can be written off as crap.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bombs Hit Bayelsa Political Rally / Oni ife,tinubu,obasanjo,fasheun,yoruba Ronu,e Ma Ta Omo Yi Leru,ebo Si Ile Benin / Pat Utomi Gives Boko Haram Alternatives - Plebiscite, Secession, Confederation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.