Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,983 members, 7,821,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

The Better Farmer. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Better Farmer. (1250 Views)

Rare! Nigerian Farmer Shows Off His Big Cassava. PHOTOS / Snail Market In Nigeria: A Must Read For Every Snail Farmer / Any Piggery Farmer @ Giwa Farm, Ogun State(Nigeria Largest Piggery Farm)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Better Farmer. by hoyze24: 10:33am On Jul 26, 2017
Agriculture in Nigeria is tilted to be the next pot of gold. Hence the massive rush of youths and entrepreneurs into the sector that was once the mainstay of our economy. The thought that seem not to get off my mind however is the neglect of the existing farmers in the new pursuit of this treasure. Often times we hear of entrepreneurs invest so much into farming and raising livestock, this is a good development in ensuring food security. Of the over 180million Nigerians, about 40million are involved in agriculture, thus making it the largest employer of labour. However, over 85% of this population are currently smallholders meaning farming is being done on a very small scale with little mechanization process. In a 2017 report of the world bank group on enabling the business of agriculture, it was stated that for every 10000hectares of land cultivated in OECD countries, there are 1300 tractors used compared with 2.24 in sub Saharan Africa. Currently, there are countless programs undertaken by the federal ministry of agrculture and rural development to better the lot of rural farmers but this has in no way showed signs of progress in the livelihoods of these people. Then it got me thinking what the actual problem could be. Well, unlike most supporters of agribusiness who provide rural farmers with finance in cash, I do believe there are better ways to put money into use other than providing physical cash to these farmers. First we need to understand there is a big knowledge gap that needs to be filled in the existing agricultural practices of these farmers. Acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills has been a major problem. These farmers would rather stick with their obsolete practices than try out something they are not sure would work. They need proofs that modern practice is the way to go and this can only be done by demonstrating to them what works. This in essence is the reason why extension workers exist; to bridge the knowledge gap and translate the research findings from shelf to field. However in the nigerian space, these people are almost non existent, the few available ones lack the necessary resources to work with and are skills deficient. In the developed nations, technology has been adopted to fill in the roles of these people but with the low literacy rate and internet penetration in rural areas of Nigeria, it's difficult to adopt such. Hence there's the need to reach out to these farmers physically more often and youths have a huge part to play in this. A more efficient and cost effective way has however been discovered to reach these people. To be continued.
Re: The Better Farmer. by hoyze24: 4:47pm On Aug 16, 2017
One discussion I've never heard on the agriculture section is provision of extension services. People talk about organising trainings, seminars, workshops and demonstrations for existing and prospective farmers. I strongly believe we need to start focusing on how to make the existing structure work. This might involve modifications and elimination of some practices but all in all extension is ever going to be key to agricultural development. I do need people who might be interested to express their interest in this value chain. You can make money from it as well but it requires strong determination and hardwork.
Re: The Better Farmer. by asadkhatri627: 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2021
This was a really great contest and hopefully I can attend the next one. It was alot of fun and I really enjoyed myself.. remote team task list
Re: The Better Farmer. by asadkhatri627: 5:42pm On Feb 08, 2021
I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. quitar gotele zaragoza
Re: The Better Farmer. by Tectono: 5:59pm On Feb 08, 2021
Let us say the truth and shame the devil. The better farmer is one who exports his agricultural products to foreign countries and makes millions of naira. For details, click on the first link on my signature.
Re: The Better Farmer. by asadkhatri627: 9:11pm On Feb 08, 2021
It is included in my habit that I often visit blogs in my free time, so after landing on your blog. I have thoroughly impressed with it and decided to take out some precious time to visit it again and again. Thanks. pasion mujeres zaragoza
Re: The Better Farmer. by asadkhatri627: 11:05pm On Feb 08, 2021
Good artcile, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting. reparacion aire acondicionado zaragoza
Re: The Better Farmer. by asadkhatri627: 4:25pm On Feb 19, 2021
i was just browsing along and came upon your blog. just wanted to say good blog and this article really helped me. cat food
Re: The Better Farmer. by sharjeelbhai: 9:42pm On Mar 01, 2021
A very excellent blog post. I am thankful for your blog post. I have found a lot of approaches after visiting your post. contactos mujeres madrid
Re: The Better Farmer. by sharjeelbhai: 12:28am On Mar 08, 2021
Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. philippine girls
Re: The Better Farmer. by sharjeelbhai: 8:46pm On Mar 08, 2021
This is actually the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. compare free alternative project management tools
Re: The Better Farmer. by sharjeelbhai: 12:55am On Mar 17, 2021
It is a good site post without fail. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am impressed that there is so much information about this subject that has been uncovered and you’ve defeated yourself this time, with so much quality. Good Works! Alprazolam Powder For Sale
Re: The Better Farmer. by sharjeelbhai: 7:32pm On Mar 23, 2021
Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards. setting up company in Singapore

(1) (Reply)

Unprofessional Attitude Of TVC Nigeria Correspondent / Tinkoko Market Place....Nigeria's Premium And Trusted Agro Ecommerce Company / New Zealand Rabbit Female Warners Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.