Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? (41174 Views)

Things That Can Distract You During Church Services / Pastor Hacks Wife For Failing To Attend Church / When Does Your Church Services Start And When Do You Arrive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by woye77: 2:15pm On Feb 08, 2010
19 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening." Leviticus 15:19

this is what the bible says but nowadays a lot of churches do not obey this concept - is it right for a woman to be in church during her monthly flow? cry
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Kay17: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2010
do they want to LOSE MONEY?
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by petres007(m): 5:37pm On Feb 08, 2010
woye77:

19 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening." Leviticus 15:19

this is what the bible says but nowadays a lot of churches do not obey this concept - is it right for a woman to be in church during her monthly flow? cry

@woye77,

You sound like you're new here. If not, did you miss all the threads on the old and new covenants?

The law you quoted from Leviticus 15 is a part of the first covenant God had with Israel (not with Nigeria or any other Gentile country like our greedy pastors of today would have us believe grin) which ended with the death of Christ. Christians live under a new dispensation and have a new covenant with God, brokered by Christ now, and not Moses (who himself was only pointing forward to Christ).

Its because of this new covenant that me and you (believing you're not a jew) can have a relationship with God, as the first covenant was exclusive to Israel - Abraham's physical descendants through Isaac and Jacob. There are plenty of scriptures on this. Here's one of my favourites (Ephesians 2):

11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called the uncircumcision by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands--

12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility,

15 by [size=14pt]abolishing[/size] in his flesh [size=14pt]the law[/size] of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby bringing the hostility to an end.

How does this answer your question? Simple! Christians are not required to keep the law of Moses (we're actually warned very seriously, not to dig up anything from it). So whether its this one you brought up (women entering "God's temple"wink during their period, or anyother from old covenant. We have no business keeping them!

And besides, under the new covenant, there is no building or tent-like temple of God anymore to which we can go and expect to find the presence of God or worship etc.

Err,  Try studying the new testament for your self and pay close attention. I promise it won't bite,  too much  grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by woye77: 9:13pm On Feb 08, 2010
petres_007:

@woye77,

You sound like you're new here. If not, did you miss all the threads on the old and new covenants?

The law you quoted from Leviticus 15 is a part of the first covenant God had with Israel (not with Nigeria or any other Gentile country like our greedy pastors of today would have us believe grin) which ended with the death of Christ. Christians live under a new dispensation and have a new covenant with God, brokered by Christ now, and not Moses (who himself was only pointing forward to Christ).

Its because of this new covenant that me and you (believing you're not a jew) can have a relationship with God, as the first covenant was exclusive to Israel - Abraham's physical descendants through Isaac and Jacob. There are plenty of scriptures on this. Here's one of my favourites (Ephesians 2):

11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called the uncircumcision by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands--

12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world.

13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near in the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility,

15 by [size=14pt]abolishing[/size] in his flesh [size=14pt]the law[/size] of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

16 and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby bringing the hostility to an end.

How does this answer your question? Simple! Christians are not required to keep the law of Moses (we're actually warned very seriously, not to dig up anything from it). So whether its this one you brought up (women entering "God's temple"wink during their period, or anyother from old covenant. We have no business keeping them!

And besides, under the new covenant, there is no building or tent-like temple of God anymore to which we can go and expect to find the presence of God or worship etc.

Err, Try studying the new testament for your self and pay close attention. I promise it won't bite, too much grin grin grin grin grin
@petre_007 thanx so much - your reply is quite revealing and detailed - does this law apply to the payment of tithes too?
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 08, 2010
@Evry1 God is not a man that he shd repent.God gave moses some laws in OT & while some were given by moses who stood as d president of israel then.Jesus upon whom d NT was based abolished no law,but implementation of some that seems babaric was never encouraged.Now if mensural flow had no negative implications,how come Jesus felt a virtue can out of him in Mark5 when d woman with 12yrs flow touched him? It depends on individuals view though,but to me d flow needs to be avoided by men.Afterall its just once a month&lasts for about 5days.If a woman stays away for 5days,she wouldnt die
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Cephas007: 11:23pm On Feb 08, 2010
toba:

@Evry1 God is not a man that he shd repent.God gave moses some laws in OT & while some were given by moses who stood as d president of israel then.Jesus upon whom d NT was based abolished no law,but implementation of some that seems babaric was never encouraged.Now if mensural flow had no negative implications,how come Jesus felt a virtue can out of him in Mark5 when d woman with 12yrs flow touched him? It depends on individuals view though,but to me d flow needs to be avoided by men.Afterall its just once a month&lasts for about 5days.If a woman stays away for 5days,she wouldnt die

what are you ranting about?

@woye77,

Yes it includes tithes, firstfruits, sheave offering, wave offering, sabbath keeping, the jewish festivals etc. DOn't have much time now would've loved to discuss more on this issue.

P.S. had to create a separate ID because I tired creating a new thread but kept getting an unusual error message till I was suprisingly told that my posting privileges have been withdrawn. Taught it was another error message but lo and behold, grin

I'll manage this one till the site administrators restore my posting privileges.
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by AbuZola3(m): 11:25pm On Feb 08, 2010
Why quoting the old testament, isn't it suppose to be obsolete. Nawa for xtrian
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 09, 2010
Abu Zola:

Why quoting the old testament, isn't it suppose to be obsolete. Nawa for xtrian
U re sick in d head.If d bible was compiled as OT&NT to make a whole,is it then appropriate to leave out a portion? U av koran+many hadiths that were written after mohammad had died,did u abolish any of them?
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2013
petres_007:

@woye77,

Err,  Try studying the new testament for your self and pay close attention. I promise it won't bite,  too much  grin grin grin grin grin
nice one broda..but do u pay tithe is dat no old testament,circumsision is old testament..u clam the blessings of the old testament yet u say Christ ablosihed the law..christ himself said I come not too ablishe but to fulfil the laws of the prophets..so we're do stand broda..bible is a longa way too go...if pple blive thers noting like the old testament y are they still using quotes from there ..it shld only be quotes from newtestaments nd tithe shld be involved too..lol..don't get confused broda
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Nadoson: 8:37pm On Dec 16, 2013
I wonda y som xtian are kickin agnst OLD TESTMNT dat it has been abolishd but im stil supriz dat same OLD TESTMNT hav not been discarded or deleted frm d bibl. Som pastors liks condemin OLD TESTMNT but they wil stil quote same OLD TESTMNT durin preachn.
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 16, 2013
Nadoson: I wonda y som xtian are kickin agnst OLD TESTMNT dat it has been abolishd but im stil supriz dat same OLD TESTMNT hav not been discarded or deleted frm d bibl. Som pastors liks condemin OLD TESTMNT but they wil stil quote same OLD TESTMNT durin preachn.
broda I don't argue abt dis..every body preaches wat suite dem so dey will get members ..in revelation its says any one who removes from his world same shall be done..so its a two way tin..u don't remove and u don't add..that's God for u..
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Wongtina: 4:20pm On Feb 04, 2017
Hi all, I am new here and I am not from Nigeria. I hope that won't be a problem but I have to say I don't know where people get this distinction between the old and the new testament. Christ came to fulfill the law. The new testament is extended version of the old testament. Its the same covenants in the new testament. Just the sacrificial system was nailed to the cross because Jesus's blood was enough for the atonement of sin and not the actual goats and lambs. He is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.... God is not a partial God, he change not. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. His law doesn't change. We are modern Israel( Israel was his people whom he took out of Egypt and made covenants with them) the bible says that "all scripture is suitable for doctrine" not some of it...
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by Auki: 5:22pm On Feb 04, 2017

U re sick in d head.If d bible was compiled as OT&NT to make a whole,is it then appropriate to leave out a portion? U av koran+many hadiths that were written after mohammad had died,did u abolish any of them?

We didnt abolish Quran or Ahadith but we used them both.

Christian believed in NT but don't used it either. They only talk not walks-hypocrite.

Christian believed OT belong to Israelity but cherry pick part of it only when it suit them.
Re: Should A Woman Attend Church Services During Her Monthly Period? by delishpot: 11:19pm On Feb 04, 2017
woye77:

Well, going by the Bible, it was talking about the Jewish Tabernacle/synagogue not the Christian church. The Bible is a mixture of Jewish beliefs and Christian beliefs too. Till today, the Jews follow that law. Their women don't go into their place of worship when on their periods.
When Christ came, he said the Jewish leaders are putting too much rules on people which are not necessary . Such as not doing work on sabath(Jesus and his disciples picked ears of corn on a sabath day cos they we're hungrycost he said sabath was made for man and not man for sabath) fasting when they should fast( Jesus mentioned that he and his disciples we're seen as gluttuns because they do not fast when the religion says to fast), Washing hands ritually before eating(Jesus said it's not what enters a man that defiles him, but what comes out of a man) Jesus was against the was men divorced their wives(he said the men were too stubborn hence abraham was forced to please them by okaying divorce when ever it pleases the men to do so but that God originals made only one Eve for Adam and God hates divorce for no just reason. He taught men to love and honour their wives while women should allow their husbands to lead the home with wisdom as the man takes wisdom from the teachings of God to lovingly run and guide his family and children to listen to the wisdom of their parents) Jesus did not agree with killing people for sins such as adultery because to him, all sin is sin none bigger than the other so if you sin as a thief, you deserve same punishment a fornicator gets, a cheat deserves same too so why judge thinking one sin is bigger than the other?( he said let jim who has not sin, cast the first stone)so, Christ did not make mention of denying women entrance to the gathering places when they are on their period. Back in that era, there was no church per se, only the jews had synagogues. The christians just gathered in homes or chosen locations. Church as a building is a new addition to Christianity after Christ and his apostles.

(1) (Reply)

Church Members Kissing Pastor's Feet In Front Of Congregation (Photos) / "I Just Increased My Tithe To 30 Percent, Satan Go And Die" - Apostle Suleman. / Pope’s New Guidelines On Love, Sex And Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.