Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,987 members, 7,814,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Http://todak/read-this-if-you-are-still-in-school/ - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Http://todak/read-this-if-you-are-still-in-school/ (319 Views)

South African Schoolgirls Smoking In School. See Reactions (Photos) / Help....i Have Lost Interest In School (pls Hear My Story) / My Mum Wants Me To Stop Psychology In School Due To Fear Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Http://todak/read-this-if-you-are-still-in-school/ by dankol: 6:54am On Jul 28, 2017
There is this innate confidence in an average undergraduate about getting a well paying job after graduation. Well, some actually already have a job waiting patiently for them to graduate with any thing- just bring the certificate; due to some influences (in the Nigerian way- long leg), while some are hoping, praying and fasting to land that Mobil or Shell or Chevron job that will turn their lives around 360 degrees. While others are ready to work hard to land that same job. Ultimately, everyone wants a dream job either by hardwork, softwork, spiritual-work or no-work. I used to have such mentality when I gained admission into school until i did my Internship, that was the game changer, that was where my mindset changed. Permit me to list out what I realized:

1. Nobody really cares about your certificate except the Academic. Maybe because, it is their hand-work anyway. So they have to promote it. Now do not get me wrong. i am not trying to rubbish the certificate, but i you to understand the underlying trick behind this whole thing. When companies call for lets say, minimum of 2.1. It is not because they believe someone with 2.1 can do the job. No! they only want to reduce the number of applicants. Simple. Infact! the CEO or the HR manager and some top shots have their candidates with third class and pass who will eventually get the job. But for official purposes. The advert must be made and some money must be expended. That does not mean there is no merit anyway. Meritocracy in Nigeria is like a blue moon which comes once in a lifetime.

2. Companies/Firms/Employers are more interested in your soft skills- What can you do without your certificate. Are you a computer literate? Are you a Website designer or developer? Are you a fashion designer? Just be handy. But something relevant to their mission and vision. Certificate is just to get you an Audience with the Employer, it does not give you the job. Your ability to convince your employer does, and you can do that by showing the stuffs you are made of.

CONTINUE HERE: http://todak/read-this-if-you-are-still-in-school/

(1) (Reply)

Workers Restless Over Coming Of Maustech And Ogun State Poly / Rush Now For Cambridge International Scholarship | Undergraduate & Postgraduate / Unconditioan Scholarships In China Univercities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.