Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,769 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car (18553 Views)

7 Top Reasons Why You Should Frequently Service Your Car / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful / 7 Things That Need To Be In Place Before Self-driving Cars Come To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Opinionated: 10:49am On Jul 28, 2017
A car is just like our body. We do not really care about it until we have a headache or something happens. That is when we remember the doctor or hospital. This is not supposed to be the case but many of us do it. Perhaps we are scared of hospitals. It is the same with our cars. Some people just jump in their cars without checking or doing anything and zoom off. This is very risky. It is better to take precautions before you start your car so as to avoid stories that touch. Accordingly, we share the things you must check in your car before you turn on the ignition.

Check the brakes

Before you set out on your journey, make sure to check the brakes and see if they have the needed stopping power. If you feel the brakes are not effective enough, head immediately to your mechanic or add more brake oil.

Check your tyres

Tyres are a very important car accessory. Never joke with it because you do not want it bursting while driving. Hence, check if you have a flat tyre and also make sure that it contains the required pressure. Importantly, always carry a spare.

Your fluids level

You don’t need to check the fluid levels on a daily basis but do so once every 15 days or at least on a monthly basis. Some of the fluids include engine oil, brake oil, power steering oil. Do not forget the water level.

Adjust the rear view mirrors

Adjust the rear view mirrors to the point you would be able to see a small portion of the rear end of your car along with the lane next to it on your outside rear view mirrors (ORVM).

Adjust your seat

You should do this frequently if you are not the only driver. As a rule, do not commence your journey unless you are comfortable in the driver’s seat. You should be able to reach up to the pedals without having to stretch your legs.

Fasten your seatbelt

If your car has a reminder to fasten your seatbelt, it is good. But if it does not, make a habit. In fact, today you may be risking arrest in Lagos if you fail to fasten or use your seatbelt.

Check the gears

Do a check to see if the gears are working properly to know if they are getting stuck or jamming up. This could mean it needs servicing. Don’t forget to put the gear back in neutral before starting the car.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/7-things-every-day-start-car/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by nurey(m): 6:31am On Jul 29, 2017
Funny guy, how do you want to check brakes before you start your car? You check brakes after starting the car especially if the car isn't yours

So you adjust your rear view mirror everyday? You must be depreciating and appreciating in height every seconds of the day grin

Everyday you check gear whether he dey work, all the gears grin how convenient so I have to make sure P then press the throttle if car revs good, next R, press throttle car moves back good, then N, D, D2,L haaa my boss for don tender query later by the time I finish with my tests. grin

63 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by dabwan123(m): 7:10am On Jul 29, 2017
Ok
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Buking1: 7:10am On Jul 29, 2017
grin
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by KayDEAN(m): 7:11am On Jul 29, 2017
nurey:
Funny guy, how do you want to check brakes before you start your car? You check brakes after starting the car especially if the car isn't yours

So you adjust your rear view mirror everyday? You must be depreciating and appreciating in height every seconds of the day grin

Everyday you check gear whether he dey work, all the gears grin how convenient so I have to make sure P then press the throttle if car revs good, next R, press throttle car moves back good, then N, D, D2,L haaa my boss for don tender query later by the time I finish with my tests. grin
U know how he means. It's your type that will start blaming devil or the neighbors when engine and brakes start misbehaving

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by M2dX(m): 7:12am On Jul 29, 2017
What if na keke i got? undecided

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by crownedprinz(m): 7:12am On Jul 29, 2017
Are you prophesying into my life to own a car of my own..Anyways i receive it so lemme learn what i need to do

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by seunny4lif(m): 7:13am On Jul 29, 2017
As in for this condition
How I wan check brake for 4am moving from Lekki to Ketu cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by seunny4lif(m): 7:14am On Jul 29, 2017
grin grin
All na motor grin grin
M2dX:
What if na keke i got? undecided

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by sakalisis(m): 7:14am On Jul 29, 2017
grin
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Sagay212: 7:15am On Jul 29, 2017
nurey:

Lol...no mind the op. You go comot house 5:00am dey check all these things? Where the time dey?

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by elmagnifico411(m): 7:16am On Jul 29, 2017
U try small. But how possible can u check your brakes with the ignition not turned on?

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by unite4real: 7:17am On Jul 29, 2017
This post should be in commedy section

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by snaiper: 7:18am On Jul 29, 2017
Check brake before starting a car??

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by hisgrace090: 7:18am On Jul 29, 2017
Though not all, but its important to do some check before starting the car.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by don33310(m): 7:19am On Jul 29, 2017
Most importantly, u check ur engine oil n water in ur radiator

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by apesinola001: 7:24am On Jul 29, 2017
true talk
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by M2dX(m): 7:26am On Jul 29, 2017
seunny4lif:
grin grin
All na motor grin grin
no oh, that one no be motor .you can'tcompare an elephant with a cat

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by d33types: 7:29am On Jul 29, 2017
KayDEAN:
U know how he means. It's your type that will start blaming devil or the neighbors when engine and brakes start misbehaving

you must be a joker..tell me how you'll check brakes, gear before starting the car.I doubt if you've ever driven a car

5 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by nurey(m): 7:31am On Jul 29, 2017
KayDEAN:

Come on, stop commenting like someone who doesn't own a car, all cars have different brake settings, the amount of pressure needed is different, you should check this in less than 5secs of car moving at 5km/h or less this will enable you know how to apply pressure on the brake pedals of the car.
You have checked fluid and tires and see no leak next is to test it in motion as the pads are sometimes not easily accessible.

A vehicle is a machine and not 100% perfect, a well maintained car can breakdown along the road due to a #50 naira worth EFI fuse (talking from experience)

7 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by OkoYibo: 7:33am On Jul 29, 2017
This is the problem with copy and paste. The OP can't answer questions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by erico2k2(m): 7:39am On Jul 29, 2017
nurey:

I don't know how OP is meant to check gears b4 he starts his car

4 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by joeyztime(m): 7:41am On Jul 29, 2017
nurey:

cheesy bro, you made me laugh so hard this morning, the Op made some points though, especially about checking tyres

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by erico2k2(m): 7:50am On Jul 29, 2017
joeyztime:
cheesy bro, you made me laugh so hard this morning. the Op made some points though, especially about tyres.
for this July heavy rain shay U go chk tyre grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by God2man(m): 7:53am On Jul 29, 2017
Check
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by bsideboii(m): 7:54am On Jul 29, 2017
Opinionated:
A car is just like our body. We do not really care about it until we have a headache or something happens. That is when we remember the doctor or hospital. This is not supposed to be the case but many of us do it. Perhaps we are scared of hospitals. It is the same with our cars. Some people just jump in their cars without checking or doing anything and zoom off. This is very risky. It is better to take precautions before you start your car so as to avoid stories that touch. Accordingly, we share the things you must check in your car before you turn on the ignition.

Check the brakes

Before you set out on your journey, make sure to check the brakes and see if they have the needed stopping power. If you feel the brakes are not effective enough, head immediately to your mechanic or add more brake oil.

Check your tyres

Tyres are a very important car accessory. Never joke with it because you do not want it bursting while driving. Hence, check if you have a flat tyre and also make sure that it contains the required pressure. Importantly, always carry a spare.

Your fluids level

You don’t need to check the fluid levels on a daily basis but do so once every 15 days or at least on a monthly basis. Some of the fluids include engine oil, brake oil, power steering oil. Do not forget the water level.

Adjust the rear view mirrors to the point you would be able to see a small portion of the rear end of your car along with the lane next to it on your outside rear view mirrors (ORVM).

Adjust your seat

You should do this frequently if you are not the only driver. As a rule, do not commence your journey unless you are comfortable in the driver’s seat. You should be able to reach up to the pedals without having to stretch your legs.

Fasten your seatbelt

If your car has a reminder to fasten your seatbelt, it is good. But if it does not, make a habit. In fact, today you may be risking arrest in Lagos if you fail to fasten or use your seatbelt.

Check the gears

Do a check to see if the gears are working properly to know if they are getting stuck or jamming up. This could mean it needs servicing. Don’t forget to put the gear back in neutral before starting the car.

Whoever approved this article tho.All these fluid checking etc. is done when your car is old AF. Who checks d gears tho.I weep for Car talk grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by joeyztime(m): 8:01am On Jul 29, 2017
erico2k2:

for this July heavy rain shay U go chk tyre grin
lol, well if umbrella dey or the rain no too heavy, why not. rainfall done reduce recently na,
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by budusky05(m): 8:02am On Jul 29, 2017
If u check the motor, no go buy better car
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Joshmedia1: 8:15am On Jul 29, 2017
Opinionated:

Check the brakes

Check your tyres

Your fluids level

Adjust your seat

Fasten your seatbelt

Check the gears

wink wink smiley

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by seunny4lif(m): 8:15am On Jul 29, 2017
M2dX:
no oh, that one no be motor .you can'tcompare an elephant with a cat
All na Animal joooor

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Joshmedia1: 8:16am On Jul 29, 2017
Adura no koko cool grin
Re: 7 Things You Should Do Every Day Before You Start Your Car by Nedfed(m): 8:21am On Jul 29, 2017
The moment you give advice but it turn to blame.
Op look right now.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch A Land Rover Discovery Turbodiesel Tow A 121-Ton,Seven-Trailer Semi Truck / All New Infiniti QX80 SUV Revealed Ahead Of New York Auto Show. / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.