Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? (24758 Views)

Free Seminar On Study Without Ielts, Gre Or Gmat In Canada / Toefl, Ielts, Gre Or Gmat? / Do You Need A Tutor For Ielts, Sat, Gre Or Toefl In Warri And Its Evirons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by stacyadams: 8:48am On Jul 29, 2017
who don write toefl for enugu state..need a reputable center ..no fake oo grin grin
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by NwaAmaikpe: 8:51am On Jul 29, 2017
wristbangle:

Thanks bro. How would one get a past question and how much does it cost to write the IELTS exam?

Also can IELTS be accepted in USA or Canada schools?

shocked

I guess there are a few IELTS study centres where preparatory classes are held.
You can also buy them from the British Council.

However once you've registered, you qualify for some minutes of online classes.

Sorry, I'm not giving in depth info on this,
I didn't explore any of these.

IELTS is required in most schools in the USA and Canada as a proof of English proficiency.
Also for skilled immigrant programs in some countries.

Kindly visit the IELTS website.

otswag:
not one day of study huh? Wehdonesir : cheesy grin

shocked

Not one sir.

2 Likes

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by victree007(m): 8:51am On Jul 29, 2017
dwilliams:

I am interested in Schools domiciled in Europe, which one is PTE is it widely or at least fairly recognized, where can I apply and how much does it costs? thank you ma for your swift response

If you want to school in Europe you may not necessarily need any of those tests. Most European countries will require you to provide a Language of Instruction document from your school which confirms and certifies that your tertiary education was entirely in English. So what I always do when I want to apply to a European school is to first mail them and explain Nigeria being an English speaking country and my education being conducted in English. Then I ask if it's mandatory for me to still take a language test. From their response you will know your next line of action.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Ishilove: 8:51am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

Ishilove please what's your advice on this?

Nah, Overall is 9. (Expert User)
8 is (Very Good User)

But the essence of all lessons is for you to score at least 5 or 6(Modest and Competent User respectively)
That's what most schools/immigration bodies demand.
Let him stick with IELTS

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DoubbleD: 8:57am On Jul 29, 2017
To register for IELTS, you can register online on www.takeielts.britishcouncil.org, select the type of exam that applies to your situation, academic or general, academic is for university admission purpose, while General is for immigration purposes.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by pansophist(m): 8:57am On Jul 29, 2017
I prefer IELTS, and I have done it twice.

IELTS certificate comes as a stand-alone document. Unlike TOEFL, you do not need to request for your result to be transferred directly to the receiving institution. It is cheaper too, and as a Nigerian, I am more familiar with British English.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:
Those exams are for different purposes. You cannot compare them.

GRE(Graduate Record Exam): is for people who are applying into graduate school in the United States. This exam can only be taken for admission into Graduate School. Even Americans take it, and the GRE is of different types. The general GRE and the GRE subject tests. Sometimes schools will demand a combination of GRE and the TOEFL for international stations.

TOEFL(Test of English As a Foreign Language): is for international students, both undergraduate and graduate applicants into schools in the US.

Schools in the US rarely accept or ask for IELTS.

IELTS: is used by countries like Canada, UK, and Australia and it's used for both educational and also immigrational purposes.

I think TOEFL is used for visa screen certificate for the purpose of immigration, H1b visa.
TOEFL and GRE is not used for immigration all purposes.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by lonelydora: 9:03am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
I got an Overall Band Score of 8 with no lessons...
Not even a day of study.

This is for all those who call me a jobless illiterate fool.

And for my mentor, my alter-ego who believes a true Biafran must have an Igbotic accent.

You don't disappoint Nwa chineke. grin
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by osunkoya(m): 9:06am On Jul 29, 2017
I stand to be corrected, TOEFL is American standard and IELTS is British standard. So schools in America will tilt towards TOEFL and Canada and most Commonwealth schools will tilt towards IELTS but one thing is for sure, there is a conversion ratio used to convert TOEFL to IELTS and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

what is your profile. Do u have 2.1 in your BSc. Mail me for scholarship opportunities if u have 2.1 above 3.75/5
What if i have 3.16cgpa?? What are my chances of getting scholarship??
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Tobycharles: 9:12am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
Not even a day of study.

And for my mentor, my alter-ego who believes a true Biafran must have an Igbotic accent.
Pls how do u go about it, cos am about writing mine sooner, pls let's discuss
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by DMainMan: 9:17am On Jul 29, 2017
Fm4real06:

What if i have 3.16cgpa?? What are my chances of getting scholarship??
There is still a chance if u score very high in GRE.

Numerical: 160

Verbal: 160

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Deem: 9:25am On Jul 29, 2017
GRE based on experience. Just completed my masters program in Houston TX. You can use it to secure admissions for your PhD. The result could last for 5 years. If you need schools that offers scholarship email me on bobodee2@yahoo.com.I can only do admissions for serious minded inquiries.consultation is not free. Thx

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

Really? So how does this GRE work and hw can i partake in the exam. Please pardon my shallow knowledge about it.

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by akokaite(m): 9:42am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
Not even a day of study.

Congrats on ur academic excellent. This is bold nd cool

I wouldn't mind if u can mail me all steps nd materials u actually use for this success lasu20032004@gmail.com

Thanks. Congrats once again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

What is the total score?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by akokaite(m): 9:47am On Jul 29, 2017
I think it actually depends on ur area of specialization. For Engineering field I will advice u go for IELT. For Mgt I think TOEFL and GRE is okay.

Regards
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 29, 2017
Deem:
GRE based on experience. Just completed my masters program in Houston TX. You can use it to secure admissions for your PhD. The result could last for 5 years. If you need schools that offers scholarship email me on bobodee2@yahoo.com.I can only do admissions for serious minded inquiries.consultation is not free. Thx
Check your mail sir
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by NwaAmaikpe: 9:55am On Jul 29, 2017
akokaite:

Congrats on ur academic excellent. This is bold nd cool

I wouldn't mind if u can mail me all steps nd materials u actually use for this success lasu20032004@gmail.com

Thanks. Congrats once again

shocked

Thanks a million,

Unfortunately, like I said before, I used no materials.
I just enrolled for the exam.
When the date came, I took a casual leave from work...strolled in like a boss and did my thing.

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by intrepidToju: 10:13am On Jul 29, 2017
DMainMan:

Do you have recent materials on GRE...if yes pls email me @ intrepidjayson@gmail.com
Am a fresh graduate (still awaiting project completion) and the tutorials I get from KhanAcademy.com are 2005. I need latest materials.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by sanerugwei: 10:14am On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:

shocked

Thanks a million,

Unfortunately, like I said before, I used no materials.
I just enrolled for the exam.
When the date came, I took a casual leave from work...strolled in like a boss and did my thing.

Not even a day of study indeed..
Take small dey lie naa..
So you paid about 200 dollars for exam without researching or studying for it abi.. Say you be Wole Soyinka abi..
E remain make you go church on Sunday go give testimony say na Oluwa do am... Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by kindredspirit(m): 10:49am On Jul 29, 2017
ziego:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COng2U1SRXA

How did he get in there in the first place

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by Wayaring(m): 10:53am On Jul 29, 2017
PTE is the best and it cost 70.000 and the result comes out within 5 working days. It's acceptable everywhere in Europe.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by MamaOO: 10:57am On Jul 29, 2017
papijulah:

You are very wrong about "US rarely ask for IELTS" keep ur ignorance at home
Dumbass I live in the US and went through the education system.
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by LanrayMasters: 11:32am On Jul 29, 2017
Hello,please I need names and addresses of Gre and GMAT registration centers
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by papijulah: 11:33am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:

Dumbass I live in the US and went through the education system.

Stfu!! You dudderhead....you know next to nothing. Its what I do sit ur lame ass down and learn
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by prinx25(m): 11:35am On Jul 29, 2017
Ielts is simply the best at least for me, There are lots of sites for self studies, youtube videos etc.... I actually wrote mine january 2017 and i got a score inline with my intended program.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by barajo1(m): 11:51am On Jul 29, 2017
I also need a scholarship. What are the prerequisite for getting a scholarship in Europe? What do I need to have apart from my first degree certificate?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by whiten: 11:52am On Jul 29, 2017
Wayaring:
PTE is the best and it cost 70.000 and the result comes out within 5 working days. It's acceptable everywhere in Europe.

how much is for TOEFL and ielts?
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by jeebz: 11:52am On Jul 29, 2017
MamaOO:
Those exams are for different purposes. You cannot compare them.

GRE(Graduate Record Exam): is for people who are applying into graduate school in the United States. This exam can only be taken for admission into Graduate School. Even Americans take it, and the GRE is of different types. The general GRE and the GRE subject tests. Sometimes schools will demand a combination of GRE and the TOEFL for international stations.

TOEFL(Test of English As a Foreign Language): is for international students, both undergraduate and graduate applicants into schools in the US.

Schools in the US rarely accept or ask for IELTS.

IELTS: is used by counties like Canada, UK and Australia and it's used for both educational and also immigrational puposes.

TOEFL and GRE is not used for immigration all purposes.

IELTS is gaining traction in the US, many universities accept it as we speak.
https://www.ielts.org/usa

1 Like

Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by shogee(m): 11:58am On Jul 29, 2017
Thanks bro. How would one get a past question and how much does it cost to write the IELTS exam?

Also can IELTS be accepted in USA or Canada schools?

Follow this link if you want to study for IELTS online www.edx.org
Re: IELTS,GRE Or TOEFL, Which Is Better? by oshotemi19: 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

IELTS for me.

You won't blame me...
Not even a day of study.

that's a high score. I intend taking the same exams soon and prefer to studying on my own. I would appreciate if you can provide me with any material and vital information to ensure a high band score.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DELSU Final Year Students Write Exam At Night With No Light / Protesting UNIBEN Students Shut Down Main Gate, Highway / MAPOLY Students Protest Delay In Semester Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.