Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,037 members, 7,953,126 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:05 AM

Positive Tribalism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Positive Tribalism (1778 Views)

Of Respect & Tribalism And Floggings In A Palace / Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation / Tribalism On Nairaland ... Hilarious Screen Shots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 9:49am On Feb 09, 2010
I have noticed that nigeria is not only deterred, but driven by a perpetual tribalism.

the same force that unites us in recent times has proven to be the force that is taking us to the top.
We all know that every nigerian believes their tribe is the greatest in africa, talkless of africa. there's nothing that pains me more then to see
another tribe dominating in something my tribe is second place in.

For every yoruba movie i see do well i want to see a bigger and better igbo one, and the rule applies for students, athletes, business,
media, and all other competitive aspect of a capitalist society.
not that i hate the yoruba or other tribes, or im jealous, but we all know we like to see our people, more importantly ppl from out specific areas and towns, at the top of everything.

i think this very nigerian frame of mind has driven a lot of positive development especially with the younger generation with music and movies.
That's why i welcome tribalism. Only in desperate times does it become dangerous, otherwise it's healthy and fuels ego based growth and who's ego can drive more growth then a nigerian?

after all, europe was built under the same mindframe. The French developed to other do the british, the british developed to out do the dutch, the germans developed to out do them all, and so forth.

ps igbos are currently winning at everything. grin (except music, i'll admit yoruba's are the best at it right now)
Re: Positive Tribalism by asha80(m): 9:50am On Feb 09, 2010
My friend go and sit down.Always chatting shit
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 9:54am On Feb 09, 2010
asha can your father type
Re: Positive Tribalism by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 09, 2010
Ikengawo:

I have noticed that nigeria is not only deterred, but driven by a perpetual tribalism.

the same force that unites us in recent times has proven to be the force that is taking us to the top.
We all know that every nigerian believes their tribe is the greatest in africa, talkless of africa. there's nothing that pains me more then to see

For every yoruba movie i see do well i want to see a bigger and better igbo one, and the rule applies for students, athletes, business,
not that i hate the yoruba or other tribes, or im jealous, but we all know we like to see our people, more importantly ppl from out specific areas and towns, at the top of everything.

i think this very nigerian frame of mind has driven a lot of positive development especially with the younger generation with music and movies.
That's why i welcome tribalism. Only in desperate times does it become dangerous, otherwise it's healthy and fuels ego based growth and who's ego can drive more growth then a nigerian?

after all, europe was built under the same mindframe. The French developed to other do the british, the british developed to out do the dutch, the germans developed to out do them all, and so forth.

ps igbos are currently winning at everything. grin (except music, i'll admit yoruba's are the best at it right now)
what is your point?
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 11:17am On Feb 09, 2010
look at someone who calls himself bluetooth asking me my point.
when your father left school to hawk plantain did he have a point?
Re: Positive Tribalism by bilms(m): 11:35am On Feb 09, 2010
Ikengawo:

look at someone who calls himself bluetooth asking me my point.
when your father left school to hawk plantain did he have a point?

Ikengawo:

asha can your father type

u lack manner for insulting someone else father,

and it shows out stupid igbo or what u call it are,
Re: Positive Tribalism by SEFAGO(m): 11:40am On Feb 09, 2010
Why do some people like insulting other people's father's? grin

Wetin someone's papa do all of una undecided
Re: Positive Tribalism by Shoot2Kill: 11:42am On Feb 09, 2010
Ikengawo:

Tribalism is a colonial weapon which has been used to divide Africans. Nothing good comes from tribalism because instead of working together to make Nigeria better we are calling for a split.

The united states is made up of different people from all over the world but you see how every one who has US citizenship stands up to defend the USA. Take a look at the US army you will find arabs ,Africans, Europeans , Australians fighting in the US army and defending their country. Why is this so? Because the United States is built on unity and love of one another.

If we can be Nigerians first before being Yoruba, Igbo ,hausa ,Niger delta ,our country will be better off. It is because of tribalism that hausas in power do not want to relinquish power.

It is tribalism that led to the civil war, so nothing good come out of tribalism ,only violence and hatred.

I would rather see Nigerians compete against the world instead of amongst each other.
Re: Positive Tribalism by asha80(m): 11:49am On Feb 09, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Tribalism is a colonial weapon which has been used to divide Africans. Nothing good comes from tribalism because instead of working together to make Nigeria better we are calling for a split.

The united states is made up of different people from all over the world but you see how every one who has US citizenship stands up to defend the USA. Take a look at the US army you will find arabs ,Africans, Europeans , Australians fighting in the US army and defending their country. Why is this so? Because the United States is built on unity and love of one another.

If we can be Nigerians first before being Yoruba, Igbo ,hausa ,Niger delta ,our country will be better off. It is because of tribalism that hausas in power do not want to relinquish power.

It is tribalism that led to the civil war, so nothing good come out of tribalism ,only violence and hatred.

I would rather see Nigerians compete against the world instead of amongst each other.

Though the poster is talkin rubbish the USA is not a good example to compare with nigeria
Re: Positive Tribalism by edoyad(m): 12:05pm On Feb 09, 2010
Ikengawo does have a point a guys. Even though the issue is more complex than how He's presented it, nothing pushes a man to do more(save for a few people ofcourse) than when He's compared to his peers.
That is why we have something called the peer review system, simply put it is just a method of measuring how well one is performing in comparison to people in the same circumstance, and subject to similar factors and limitations.
@Ikengawo i disagree on the music issue, Tuface, Dbanj, P Square and M I are the kings of our music market and we Know Tu baba and M I are middle belt products. Even P square are jos boys who happen to have igbo parents.
Re: Positive Tribalism by SEFAGO(m): 12:09pm On Feb 09, 2010
ps igbos are currently winning at everything. Grin (except music, i'll admit yoruba's are the best at it right now)

In what? And who is competing with you?
Re: Positive Tribalism by ChinenyeN(m): 12:53pm On Feb 09, 2010
I don't know about anyone else, but I think that tribal/ethnic competition would be good at a healthy level. . . but we're talking about Naija, the land where people just seem to want to overdo things nowadays.
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 10:52am On Feb 10, 2010
hmmm, all the igbos seem to think its good at a healthy level.
everyone else is mad because of the internet and typing in poor grammar.

u lack manner for insulting someone else father,

and it shows out silly igbo or what u call it are,
like this guy.

edoyad, everyone tells me the yoruba are the ones controlling the music industry. i feel it's pretty evenly balanced everywhere.
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 10:57am On Feb 10, 2010

come get out with this nonsense
im an igbo man. my ancestors were igbo spoke igbo and died igbo before nigeria existed.
being nigerian doesn't mean sweeping your identity under the rug. Nigeria is a combination of ethnic groups, not an erase of them.

the US wasn't built on no damn unity, black ppl were just allowed to vote a little over 60 years ago.
America was built on the fact that if they slacked superior nations like britain and france would manipulate conquer or colonize them so they knew from the get go they had to build a strong nation that can COMPETE WITH OTHER PEER GROUPS.
this is how every nation in europe was built. nobody 'came together'. they are developed out of fear that the next man will kill them. europe has had 2000 years of constant war and the rest of the world only started catching up with them once they united and stopped competing with each other.

unity can be nice, but disunity can be inspirational
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 10:59am On Feb 10, 2010
also nigerian tribes hated and fought with each other before colonialism.
colonialism actually united them, not divided them.
Re: Positive Tribalism by citizenY(m): 12:05pm On Feb 10, 2010
I know the feeling especially when all that i have is a few broken pots, a big mouth,
a false sense of satisfaction and hatred that is not tempered by any creed.
Re: Positive Tribalism by chosen04(f): 12:11pm On Feb 10, 2010
Ikengawo:

unity can be nice, but disunity can be inspirational

In other words,
United we stand and divided we fail is now old skool?
Re: Positive Tribalism by mekusxxx: 1:12pm On Feb 10, 2010
SEFAGO:

Why do some people like insulting other people's father's? grin

Wetin someone's papa do all of una undecided
Fo-olish hypocrite, Ojukwu that you insult with ease is somebody's father too.
Re: Positive Tribalism by Dede1(m): 1:54pm On Feb 10, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

I agree that tribalism is a colonial weapon used to create internal division among Africans by lumping them together so that there will be no unified front or cohesive arrangement to fight colonialism. The colonial act of lumping nation states into one country in Africa had engulfed the continent with perpetual backwardness. 

Please be informed that using USA as analogical reference point on the thread by Ikengawo is historically wrong. The British was the dominate ethnicity in building of USA. Other Europeans that settled in the New World had to tow along with British mandate or be wiped out.

When Swedish prime minister visited Maine in 1882, he was shocked to his bones that his country men could not speak or understand a word of Swedish any longer. The Native Indians were almost killed to extinction by the British descendants in order to ascertain that British culture and way of life are entrenched in the psychic of the people.

Europe and Asia continent saw more ethnical wars that shaped and usher rapid development of countries than Africa. 

Nigeria must disintegrate along strict ethnic lines or agree to treaties among certain ethnical groups based on close affinity.
Re: Positive Tribalism by edoyad(m): 2:00pm On Feb 10, 2010
@ really rich material you posted there.
Re: Positive Tribalism by Ikengawo: 4:16am On Feb 20, 2010
nigeria disintegrating as a 'good idea' is stupid.

africans didn't draw maps. if nigeria disintegrates who will decide what tribes gets where? it will be 250 wars for land and resources

most ppl dont know this but onitsha for example is an edo founded city but full of igbo ppl and has been igbo for years, who's land will this be and who will willingly give it up?

there are thousands of similar examples in nigeria.

england and sweden that you listed didn't begin as england and sweden, but several tribes speaking several languages. what your seeing today is the language and culture of the tribes that won the constant war and dominated their respective countries.

(1) (Reply)

Gej New Cabinet: Select Your Team. / . / U.S Behind Boko Haram Activities In Nigeria- Sheikh Gumi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.