Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,385 members, 7,815,816 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation (3252 Views)

Abu Ali’s Death: "Why Boko Haram Is Killing More Nigerian Soldiers" - Premium T / I Repent From All Forms Of Tribalism And Bigotry Today / Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 11:10am On Oct 02, 2015
Nigeria was meant to be great.
That was the dreams of our forefathers

But sadly the Nigeria we have today is anything but the dreams of our forefathers. This is not the Nigeria our fathers had in mind when the lay down their lives for the Good and unity our this nation. When our fathers pressured the colonial masters for independence the plans they have for this country was of unity and greatness. Sadly 55 years later we are still struggling to be united talk more of being great. How can we be great when u are not united?.

Those of us born in the late 20th century will agree and understand with me when a say as a child in those days we belong to nobody but we belong to everybody. We were not trained by our parents alone, the whole community trained us. (In some cases more than our parents) it doesn't matter your tribe or religion if u misbehave any elderly person around there have the right and moral responsibility to correct you and even discipline you. And our parents will thank them. But today the case is very much different.

In my growing up days in jos. I spent more time in the houses of my hausa Muslim friends. We eat, play and at times spend the night at each others house and our parents saw nothing wrong in it.. nobody gives a them if u are hausa, yoruba or igbo or that your religion is different from theirs. But sadly the case is different today.

How did we as a nation come to be in this pathetic state?

When and why did we allowed tribalism and religion sentiments clouds our judgement as a people and nation?

The level of tribal hate and religious fanaticism I see in this forum alone is enough to give a man of 25 years high level stroke. It bleeds my heart when I see the level of tribal and religious hate displayed on this forum alone by our supposed leaders of tomorrow .

Even with the high level of intermarriages and Co existence between the igbos and Yorubas over the years, the level of hate and miss trust between this two tribes is a course of concern to any well meaning person.

Instead of us blaming each other for the problems we face as a nation is it not better we forgo our prides and come together. Put our houses in order and look for how to make this nation great again.

Are you not tired of the blame Games?

Are you not tired of judging people base on their tribe or religion rather than their character and personality?

Are you not tired of calling an entire tribe of more than 35 millions people drug dealers and 419 simply because 200 out of 35 millions of them are into illegal activities?

Are u not tired of condemning an entire tribe and religion. Calling them blood suckers simply because a very few of them are fanatics ?

Are you not tired of calling an entire tribe cowards simply because they are highly respectful and accommodating to all that comes their way?

Are u not tired of being use and dump by our politicians, traditional rulers and religious leaders to promote hate and violence just for their selfish interest ?

Are you not tired of the high level of tribal hate and religious fanaticism in this great nation of ours? Are u not tired?

Are u not tired of hating your fellow human simply because he/she is from another tribe or religion? And not because that particular person have offended u in anyway. Are u not tired.

As for me am tired. Even my unborn children are tired.

I so much long for the day I can visit my hausa brothers in the northern part of my country . Sleep in their houses, eat their food without being afraid of anything.

I look forward for the day my yoruba brothers will see the beauty in me as an igbo man and not judge me base on the sins of my brothers

I look forward to the day when the Respect and kindness shown to me by my brothers from the west will not be missinterpreted as a weakness .

Please let us lean to love and respect each other inrespective of their tribe or religion.
We owe it to ourselves but most importantly we owe it to our children and the future of this great nation.

God Bless Nigeria

God Bless our president and elected officials.

God Bless the youths

God Bless our Elders.

May the sacrifice made by our fathers for the Good and Unity of this Nation be not in vain

And may the souls of All our forgotten heros rest in peace. Amen.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by adedayourt(m): 11:10am On Oct 02, 2015
sad
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by donTbone(m): 11:11am On Oct 02, 2015
angry

#sighs...

That truth hurts!

Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by truefact: 11:13am On Oct 02, 2015
The nation called zoo is better off dead..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Blakjewelry(m): 11:13am On Oct 02, 2015
You couldn't have said it better
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by badnature: 11:15am On Oct 02, 2015
were are you referring as a Nation, is it the ZOO ?

6 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by divinehand2003(m): 11:19am On Oct 02, 2015
THERE IS UNITY IN DIVERSITY, a popular quote indeed but based on the Nigerian situation, it's a fallacy. We see ourselves as different people who were forced to join Nigeria. But truth be said, we are already Nigerians, let's have the UNITY OF PURPOSE to make our nation great for all her peoples and generations to come.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by BALLOSKI: 11:20am On Oct 02, 2015
We once lived as one before those people came with their agitation or secessionistic idea.

That civil war and hatered that originated from it is root cause of our national problems and, the hate we have against each others along tribal , regional and religious line.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 02, 2015
Op God bless you for this.
The level of hate and tribalism in this forum alone is alarming.

And the worst is that those making such hate comments are below 30 years.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by eleko1: 11:25am On Oct 02, 2015
I'm IGBO from Nsukka.It is useless talk like dis make them pipu kal us Igbos/Yeyebos,red head lizards.U kal the same country u live in a Zoo?That mean U bi animal too.
truefact:

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by PointB: 11:28am On Oct 02, 2015
eleko1:
I'm IGBO from Nsukka.It is useless talk like dis make them pipu kal us Igbos/Yeyebos,red head lizards.U kal the same country u live in a Zoo?That mean U bi animal too.

They'll call you whatever they will nonetheless. But that should not stop you from saying your mind.

Personally, Nigeria is either a zoo or a jungle; it's clearly not a nation. Those hoping to see Nigeria great are justing wasting their time. Nigeria is a failed state.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
BALLOSKI:
We once lived as one before those people came with their agitation or secessionistic idea.

That civil war and hatered that originated from it is root cause of our national problems and, the hate we have against each others along tribal , regional and religious line.

And the blame Game continues.

Yes there was a civil war but what have we done since then to make them feel among? Nothing.

Looking at things now can we as a nation say we learned our lessons from the mistakes that brought about the war ? Judging from the look of things is it not save to say that history Is about to repeat it self?

1 Like

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Nobody: 11:37am On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
eleko1:

God bless you my brother.

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 02, 2015
Mods and super mods abeg make Una do the needful.

Let's kick tribalism out of nairaland.

Seun and lala abeg we need Una o
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 11:45am On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
truefact:

U see? It's people like u and that kalu of a guy that are giving we igbos bad name.

How can u call ur country a zoo?

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 11:48am On Oct 02, 2015
[/color]
Assassins:
[color=#000099]

Yes there was a civil war but what have we done since then to make them feel among? Nothing.

Looking at things now can we as a nation say we learned our lessons from the mistakes that brought about the war ? Judging from the look of things is it not save to sat history I about to repeat it self?

That's what I keep saying.
We have a problem as a nation instead of us coming together and look for a lasting solutions, we prefer to blame ourselves
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 11:50am On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
Assassins:
Mods and super mods abeg make Una do the needful.

Let's kick tribalism out of nairaland.

Seun and lala abeg we need Una o

Guy don't stress ur self things like this don't make front page.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by BALLOSKI: 11:51am On Oct 02, 2015
Assassins:
[color=#000099][/color]

Looking at things now can we as a nation say we learned our lessons from the mistakes that brought about the war ? Judging from the look of things is it not save to sat history I about to repeat it self?
I want you to read this article and get back to me. You'd definitely learn how people put their past behind them.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by razid: 11:51am On Oct 02, 2015
Can someone tell me the race, tribe, sex, and social status of these people?

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Gbawe: 11:52am On Oct 02, 2015
@OP.

Good message and perception. Sadly, a lot of what we are facing is to do with evolutionary development. My take is that Nigerians are not as emotionally evolved as others are worldwide. We are as educated as others but not as emotionally mature as they are. Being educated to a high level does not mean you are optimally evolved. When you have Nigerian Professors still peddling prejudice against others, on account of their ethnicity, then you know we have a long way to go before we see and accept what matters most in life.

What matters the most in life is for every man, woman and child, wherever they are from, to have as happy and fulfilled a life as possible. When we get this simple notion then Nigeria will make progress. If we continue to think exclusively of the happiness and progress of our own ethnic group/community/religion and sectional group alone then we will continue to have problems as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by razid: 11:59am On Oct 02, 2015
@OP, thanks for this beautiful thought of yours. I actually wanted to do this yesterday, but I was let down by my emotions. I watched a documentary of Nigeria's independence and how our forefathers fought for it as if their lives depended on it. I listened to Pa Awolowo, Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe. They were quite awesome to listen to. You could feel their passions, their dedications, their visions, and their patriotism from their speech. They had one common goal and in spite of their outward differences, they had that elusive UNITY OF PURPOSE. I encouraged all of us to search for some of those pre-independence footage to get a glimpse.

To be candid, I always laugh whenever I hear or read about the fact that we are forced together. Nobody forced us together, if Lord Lugard didn't do it, one way or the other, the force of nature would have brought us together even without firing a single bullet. A child does not choose the circumstance of his/her birth. There are some countries that could be termed "accidents of nature" just like ours, viz: United States of America, Australia, Liberia et al. Their circumstances of birth were not palatable, but they have moved on beyond that and none of them is dwelling any longer on their dark beginnings. The earlier we realise this the better.

Just like you, in the early 80's, I remember my good friends Godwin and Victor of Igbo tribe and Muttalib of Hausa. We were very fond of each other then because all our parents are friends. Nobody bothered about religion or tribe. Even the Christians among us would tell their parents not to cook pork because of some Muslims among us and the parents would oblige. Such was the love among us in those days. As it is now, if perchance all of us have the chance to come together once again, I'm not sure such love would ever exist among us. That is the consequence of bad politicking by our politicians. They have succeeded in turning all of us to pawns to further their own interests.

Are we not even thinking at all? The politicians will use us as foot soldiers whenever they are not pleased with the establishment and immediately they get what they want, the narrative changes. Imagine some of them that were shouting about "salary jamboree" before the election, do you hear from them again? I don't blame them, I can only blame a poor fellow who has been conditioned to hate another poor fellow like himself due to circumstances of his birth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by eleko1: 12:21pm On Oct 02, 2015
Ise,Amin,AMEN
Assassins:
[color=#000099][/color]

God bless you my brother.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by truefact: 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Achilies:
[color=#000099][/color]

U see? It's people like u and that kalu of a guy that are giving we igbos bad name.

How can u call ur country a zoo?
Why are you afraid of Nigeria dieing? Why don't you like your ethnic nation stand on their own?
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
razid:
@OP, thanks for this beautiful thought of yours. I actually wanted to do this yesterday, but I was let down by my emotions. I watched a documentary of Nigeria's independence and how our forefathers fought for it as if their lives depended on it. I listened to Pa Awolowo, Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe. They were quite awesome to listen to. You could feel their passions, their dedications, their visions, and their patriotism from their speech. They had one common goal and in spite of their outward differences, they had that elusive UNITY OF PURPOSE. I encouraged all of us to search for some of those pre-independence footage to get a glimpse.

To be candid, I always laugh whenever I hear or read about the fact that we are forced together. Nobody forced us together, if Lord Lugard didn't do it, one way or the other, the force of nature would have brought us together even without firing a single bullet. A child does not choose the circumstance of his/her birth. There are some countries that could be termed "accidents of nature" just like ours, viz: United States of America, Australia, Liberia et al. Their circumstances of birth were not palatable, but they have moved on beyond that and none of them is dwelling any longer on their dark beginnings. The earlier we realise this the better.

Just like you, in the early 80's, I remember my good friends Godwin and Victor of Igbo tribe and Muttalib of Hausa. We were very fond of each other then because all our parents are friends. Nobody bothered about religion or tribe. Even the Christians among us would tell their parents not to cook pork because of some Muslims among us and the parents would oblige. Such was the love among us in those days. As it is now, if perchance all of us have the chance to come together once again, I'm not sure such love would ever exist among us. That is the consequence of bad politicking by our politicians. They have succeeded in turning all of us to pawns to further their own interests.

Are we not even thinking at all? The politicians will use us as foot soldiers whenever they are not pleased with the establishment and immediately they get what they want, the narrative changes. Imagine some of them that were shouting about "salary jamboree" before the election, do you hear from them again? I don't blame them, I can only blame a poor fellow who has been conditioned to hate another poor fellow like himself due to circumstances of his birth.

Guy u too much.
Having people like you around means there's still hope for this nation.

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by badnature: 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2015
eleko1 your no longer yolooba? it's funny igbo people don't claim yoruba,but yoruba are claiming igbo,Niger delta,awusa, the are no longer confident of their self

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by badnature: 1:05pm On Oct 02, 2015
@razid you talk of unity of purpose? were is the unity of purpose when ahmedu bello said he will not give an igbo man a job?

3 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by razid: 1:14pm On Oct 02, 2015
badnature:
@razid you talk of unity of purpose? were is the unity of purpose when ahmedu bello said he will not give an igbo man a job?
Are you willing to engage me or you just wanted to bash me for my opinion? This thread is about solving a problem and not fanning ember of disunity.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by knowledgeable: 1:21pm On Oct 02, 2015
razid:

Absolutely nonsense. Africans lack critical and analytical mind and therefore are inferior/slaves to other worldly races. You are a typical representation of that period. No body can connect the dots for your sub human existence anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by ozoebuka1(m): 1:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
BALLOSKI:

if any issue isn't handled properly, it is bound to resuscitate.. you lived in harmony before becos those you did wrong decided to keep quiet hoping that u will address ur mistakes but u ignored them, now they have resorted back to the last option that they can solace from... tnks .

1 Like

Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 1:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
ozoebuka1:
if any issue isn't handled properly, it is bound to resuscitate.. you lived in harmony before becos those you did wrong decided to keep quiet hoping that u will address ur mistakes but u ignored them, now they have resorted back to the last option that they can solace from... tnks .

True talk.
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 1:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
badnature:
eleko1 your no longer yolooba? it's funny igbo people don't claim yoruba,but yoruba are claiming igbo,Niger delta,awusa, the are no longer confident of their self

Bros abeg no start another tribal thing here
Re: Tribalism And Religion Fanaticism Is Killing This Nation by Achilies(m): 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
truefact:

Why are you afraid of Nigeria dieing? Why don't you like your ethnic nation stand on their own?

Am not afraid of Nigeria dieing because nigeria will not die.

Am just tired of all the tribal hate and sentiments.

Why don't we look for a way to make the east greater than it already is instead of us jumping from pillar to post screaming biafra?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With The 2014 Confab Report? Why Did The North Reject It? / Why I Appoint More Northerners - President Buhari / Mock Election Ongoing On Twitter: Buhari Vs Opponent Result In Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.