Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,341 members, 7,829,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? (2847 Views)

A Few Things Have Been Confirmed From The Events Of Yesterday At Onitsha. / Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai / Things Have Fallen Apart In Nigeria - Maitama-sule (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Afam4eva(m): 5:51pm On Feb 09, 2010
I've always thought that one of the reasons for the woes in Nigeria is the fact that we have 3 Major ethnic groups who never agree on anything. I can't remember any country on the surface of the earth that have several major ethnic groups that are very close in terms of population like Nigeria. Maybe if we had one of Igbo(IBO), Hausa or Yoruba and other smaller ethnic group nigeria won't be in the sutuation it is today.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by cheaphost: 6:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
The three ethnic groups are our problem in Nigeria.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 7:10pm On Feb 09, 2010
afam4eva:

I've always thought that one of the reasons for the woes in Nigeria is the fact that we have 3 Major ethnic groups who never agree on anything. I can't remember any country on the surface of the earth that have several major ethnic groups that are very close in terms of population like Nigeria. Maybe if we had one of Igbo(IBO), Hausa or Yoruba and other smaller ethnic group nigeria won't be in the sutuation it is today.

Several ethnic group is not the problem. The problem is rivalry envy, jealousy and bad belle. We pretend to like each other- because of oil money- when in actual fact we don't. If the oil dries out tomorrow the North will quit Nigeria in speed of light. Midbelters will tell you they are not Hausa-Fulani. Or tell me do Ibos like the Yorubas if not because of Lagos?
Yoruba is not nationalistic in nature and culture (except those in NPN and now PDP) the reason other tribes see them as too tribalistic. However, this shouldn't has caused problem if the bastard political jobbers with inferiority complex had allowed each ethnic group to manage its own affairs.

And on principal ethnic group, people can take it or leave- Yoruba is the PRINCIPAL ethnic group in Nigeria. The Yoruba of Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi, Lagos, Ekiti, Osun, plus the Yoruba in Delta and Edo; and the fact that over 60% of Nigerians speak Yoruba make us the principal ethnic group but other tribe don't like us out of jealousy. If Yoruba is given chance and opportunity to rule the country, we would transform it like the English single handededly transformed Great Britain (UK). BUT WOULD THEY ALLOW US? I DON'T THINK SO.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Afam4eva(m): 7:16pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

Or tell me do Ibos like the Yorubas if not because of Lagos?

Do yorubas exclusively own lagos? Man you're living in the past. It's just like saying American indians own america. Pls be careful when choosing your words.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Onlytruth(m): 7:18pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

Several ethnic group is not the problem. The problem is rivalry envy, jealousy and bad belle. We pretend to like each other- because of oil money- when in actual fact we don't. If the oil dries out tomorrow the North will quit Nigeria in speed of light. Midbelters will tell you they are not Hausa-Fulani. Or tell me do Ibos like the Yorubas if not because of Lagos?
Yoruba is not nationalistic in nature and culture (except those in NPN and now PDP) the reason other tribes see them as too tribalistic. However, this shouldn't has caused problem if the naughty person political jobbers with inferiority complex had allowed each ethnic group to manage its own affairs.

[b]And on principal ethnic group, people can take it or leave- Yoruba is the PRINCIPAL ethnic group in Nigeria. [/b]The Yoruba of Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi, Lagos, Ekiti, Osun, plus the Yoruba in Delta and Edo; and the fact that over 60% of Nigerians speak Yoruba make us the principal ethnic group but other tribe don't like us out of jealousy. If Yoruba is given chance and opportunity to rule the country, we would transform it like the English single handededly transformed Great Britain (UK). BUT WOULD THEY ALLOW US? I DON'T THINK SO.

Your brother Obasanjo was too afraid to allow the last census to carry tribal data because of what he might find. I won't say anything except that our census should confirm your claim, else it is mere claims based on the figment of your imagination.

I believe in regional parties because the PDP and all Nigerian national parties have been fake parties based on "come and eat".
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Afam4eva(m): 7:22pm On Feb 09, 2010
Is it in the Nigerian constitution that an ethnic group can own a city? An ethnic group can only wade more influence if there population is overwhelmingly greater which is not the case with lagos. Lagos is the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria. Every citizen in Nigeria have equal right irrespective of where they live.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by vangogh: 7:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

Yoruba is not nationalistic in nature and culture (except those in NPN and now PDP) the reason other tribes see them as too tribalistic. However, this shouldn't has caused problem if the naughty person political jobbers with inferiority complex had allowed each ethnic group to manage its own affairs.

And on principal ethnic group, people can take it or leave- Yoruba is the PRINCIPAL ethnic group in Nigeria. The Yoruba of Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi, Lagos, Ekiti, Osun, plus the Yoruba in Delta and Edo; and the fact that over 60% of Nigerians speak Yoruba make us the principal ethnic group but other tribe don't like us out of jealousy. If Yoruba is given chance and opportunity to rule the country, we would transform it like the English single handededly transformed Great Britain (UK). BUT WOULD THEY ALLOW US? I DON'T THINK SO.

I have to disagree with you that Yorubas (I am one) are the primary ethnic group in Nigeria.  In the absence of reliable data to verify your claim, 
no tribe Nigeria can lay claim to be the primary ethnic group. If anything, I would say the combination of Hausa/Fulani is probably more like it.

In any event,  the problem of Nigeria is far deeper than having a primary group that can take charge of the affairs of the nation.
Our fundamental problems are deep-seated corruption in high places and the progressive meltdown of our judiciary system
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 7:49pm On Feb 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

Your brother Obasanjo was too afraid to allow the last census to carry tribal data because of what he might find. I won't say anything except that our census should confirm your claim, else it is mere claims based on the figment of your imagination.

I believe in regional parties because the PDP and all Nigerian national parties have been fake parties based on "come and eat".

cheesy grin  shocked
Which census did Obasanjo not allow to carry tribal data? And what has that got to do with the fact that Yoruba of Ogun, Ondo, Kwara, Kogi, Osun, Ekiti, Lagos and Oyo put together has the highest population of ethnic groups in Nigeria.  What is the population of the Ibos. Are Delta Ibos Ibos? What is the population of Hausas, the population of Fulanis (who claim not to be Hausa), the population of the Midbelter who although being called Hausas but claimed not to be known as Hausa-Fulani. Babangida is not Hausa, Gowon is not Hausa, the Tivs are not Hausa.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Beaf: 7:56pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

And on principal ethnic group, people can take it or leave- Yoruba is the PRINCIPAL ethnic group in Nigeria. The Yoruba of Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Kwara, Kogi, Lagos, Ekiti, Osun, [size=14pt]plus the Yoruba in Delta and Edo[/size]; and the fact that over 60% of Nigerians speak Yoruba make us the principal ethnic group but other tribe don't like us out of jealousy. If Yoruba is given chance and opportunity to rule the country, we would transform it like the English single handededly transformed Great Britain (UK). BUT WOULD THEY ALLOW US? I DON'T THINK SO.

Rubbish!

There are no Yoruba in Delta and Edo. Yoruba land stops at Ore.
Some people are bloody ignorant liers. angry
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by onyengbu1(m): 7:58pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

If Yoruba is given chance and opportunity to rule the country, we would transform it like the English single handededly transformed Great Britain (UK). BUT WOULD THEY ALLOW US? I DON'T THINK SO.

Are you from Mars?!!! So Obasanjo is Ibibio?

OPCman:

cheesy grin shocked
Which census did Obasanjo not allow to carry tribal data?

The last census. cool
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by onyengbu1(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2010
Beaf:

I agree that guy is sooo ignorant.
Or perhaps, he is referring to the itsekiris.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 8:01pm On Feb 09, 2010
afam4eva:

Is it in the Nigerian constitution that an ethnic group can own a city? An ethnic group can only wade more influence if there population is overwhelmingly greater which is not the case with lagos. Lagos is the most cosmopolitan city in Nigeria. Every citizen in Nigeria have equal right irrespective of where they live.

Constitution doesn't' determine who owns a city. The majority settlers determines the owner of the city. Edinbragh and Glasgow belongs to the Scottish. Cardiff belongs to Welsh people, London- although a comopolitan city- belongs to the English. Quebec belongs to French Canadians while other part of Canada belongs to English speaking Canadians.
South-Western part of Nigeria including Lagos belongs to Yoruba. Whether you guys like it or not, Lagos is belongs to the Yoruba.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 8:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
onye_ngbu:

cheesy grin
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 8:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
onye_ngbu:

[b]Are you from Mars?!!! So Obasanjo is Ibibio?[b]

Do you have mobile phone? If yes, that is part of Obasanjo transformation of Nigeria

The last census. cool

Can't understand what you are trying to drive out. Are you implying that your tribe {?} has the highest population in Nigeria, hence Obasanjo did not allow tribal data grin
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Onlytruth(m): 8:37pm On Feb 09, 2010
OPCman:

Do you have mobile phone? If yes, that is part of Obasanjo transformation of Nigeria

Can't understand what you are trying to drive out. Are you implying that your tribe {?} has the highest population in Nigeria, hence Obasanjo did not allow tribal data grin

I think Obasanjo was simply too afraid (the coward! angry) to allow a fair census, complete with tribal data. Ohanaeze Ndigbo campaigned hard for tribal data to be collected, Obasanjo refused. You didn't know this? Na wa for you o!  shocked
So until we have that fair census, keep that your claim low.  cool
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Beaf: 8:55pm On Feb 09, 2010
onye_ngbu:

Oma Iwere de'de' mo ki an. Me' ma' gi'n aja' itsekiri we'.

He is daft. Itsekiri's aren't Yoruba and they certainly can't be found in Edo state.

Itsekiri is an ethnicity from Delta state only (our current gov is an Itsekiri man). They are a minority (about 4% of Delta states population), yet they have been able to produce a governor; because despite our issue's, Delta state is the freest and fairest state. Compare that with the wretchedness and marginalisation of the minority Egun and Ilaje in OPCMan's state.

There are no Yoruba people in Delta state. We reject una.

Oritse mo bie! cool
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by udezue(m): 9:07pm On Feb 09, 2010
Beaf:

Rubbish!

There are no Yoruba in Delta and Edo. Yoruba land stops at Ore.

LMFAOOOO!!! GBAM!!!!

Olodo rapata. Be like say he needs to go back to geography class
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 10:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
Beaf:

Oma Iwere de'de' mo ki an. Me' ma' gi'n aja' itsekiri we'.

Itsekiri is an ethnicity from Delta state only (our current gov is an Itsekiri man). They are a minority (about 4% of Delta states population), yet they have been able to produce a governor; because despite our issue's, Delta state is the freest and fairest state. Compare that with the wretchedness and marginalisation of the minority Egun and Ilaje in OPCMan's state.

There are no Yoruba people in Delta state. We reject una.
Oritse mo bie! cool

You don't need to say that. WE Yoruba don't wan't una either. So go with Biafran and get perish.

And let me re-phrase it: I meant to say Yoruba wannabes who bear Yoruba names and speak diluted or perfect Yoruba language in Edo and Delta.
, are you happy ?
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Beaf: 10:45pm On Feb 09, 2010
^
Just Bleep off.
We don't have any wannabe's; go and take care of your Ilaje and Egun minorities before you cast your eye outside your area. Ode.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by AndreUweh(m): 11:29pm On Feb 09, 2010
@OPC man
Yoruba states are:Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ekiti.
States where Yoruba and others are found are: Lagos-Yoruba70% and Egun; Ondo-Yoruba80% and Izon; Kwara-Yoruba 50%; Kogi-Yoruba 15%.
Since the fall of Oyo empire about 300 years ago, The Yorubas have not be annexing territories. It will be destructive for any person or persons to continue from the where the Old Oyo empire stopped. Hence, do not march towards Delta and Edo states, they are NO-GO-AREAS.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by diobi: 3:41am On Feb 10, 2010
Andre Uweh:

@OPC man
Yoruba states are:Oyo, Osun, Ogun, Ekiti.
States where Yoruba and others are found are: Lagos-Yoruba70% and Egun; Ondo-Yoruba80% and Izon; Kwara-Yoruba 50%; Kogi-Yoruba 15%.
Since the fall of Oyo empire about 300 years ago, The Yorubas have not be annexing territories. It will be destructive for any person or persons to continue from the where the Old Oyo empire stopped. Hence, do not march towards Delta and Edo states, they are NO-GO-AREAS.

more like Lagos -Yoruba 55%, other nigerians 45% cool
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by SEFAGO(m): 4:21am On Feb 10, 2010
^ You guys want to claim lagos by force, while threatening anyone who suggests otherwise undecided
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by becomricch: 4:46am On Feb 10, 2010
the advantage of a clear majority is clear. It reduce tribalist. in the case of Ghana, the minority have aLway rule. The president of Ghana is not an ashanti.This really HAVE not worry must ashanti people. they have majority in the national assembly, so they do not care. you cant win all the time. And beaf itsekiri are yorubas. go to ondo state.

Do you know what lokili is?  or what kiwiwi is.?   To a average yorubaman, the first lokili, they may know. because sunny Ade music. but the second word. they do not know. but that word is only knew by people from ondo state.  Aother word is lodogbo?  Only people from ondo state would tell you the meaning.

In ondo state, they do not say Oda, wish means, it is good. They say, osan. which is the same in itsekiri.

if you take some word in Okun from kogi state. you would never understand. I have study yoruba from different group. it is very different. even ijebu and egba are different.

in ilorin, they would say Oko pa wa po.   which could mean several thing in yoruba. The vehicle killed them.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by OPCman: 4:58am On Feb 10, 2010
Beaf:

^
Just Bleep off. We don't have any wannabe's; go and take care of your Ilaje and Egun minorities before you cast your eye outside your area. Ode.

grin  grin Why do you want to cry?
I mistakenly grouped your ancestors to the most civilzed tribe in Nigeria you said no, you don't want to be civilized and I say OK, you can carry your stupidity go with the people who will punish you more and you wanted to carry?. Don't cry boy, so P*** off!

And what happens to Ilaje and Eguns? did they come to you to complain that they are not happy being a Yoruba abi what nonsense are you talking about? fool!
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by SEFAGO(m): 5:08am On Feb 10, 2010
^ You want to make terrorists part of the yoruba subgroup? undecided
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by becomricch: 5:15am On Feb 10, 2010
They do not blow pipline. Why would they want to blow up pipeline , they get job in the oil sector. most of them would loss thier job. I think some igbos are the only bombing the place. . i think it is mossob. . they asking for ralph release, so you know it is mossob.

they are ok people.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Beaf: 6:12am On Feb 10, 2010
OPCman:

grin  grin Why do you want to cry?
I mistakenly grouped your ancestors to the most civilzed tribe in Nigeria you said no, you don't want to be civilized and I say OK, you can carry your stupidity go with the people who will punish you more and you wanted to carry?. Don't cry boy, so P*** off!

And what happens to Ilaje and Eguns? did they come to you to complain that they are not happy being a Yoruba abi what nonsense are you talking about? fool!

[size=14pt]Are you deaf? Delta and Edo people do not want to be Yoruba, today, yesterday and tomorrow.[/size]

We reject you and your "civilisation". We are minorities who do not need any foolish ethnic chauvinists claiming us as part of them for their criminal and selfish political calculations.
See how much you have "civilised" your Ilaje minorities. Ua zagha! grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e

<-- Photo deleted -->
<-- Photo deleted -->
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by SEFAGO(m): 6:13am On Feb 10, 2010
^ That looks like pics from the delta
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by THEAMAKA(f): 6:15am On Feb 10, 2010
afam4eva:

I've always thought that one of the reasons for the woes in Nigeria is the fact that we have 3 Major ethnic groups who never agree on anything. I can't remember any country on the surface of the earth that have several major ethnic groups that are very close in terms of population like Nigeria. Maybe if we had one of [size=20pt]Igbo(IBO)[/size], Hausa or Yoruba and other smaller ethnic group nigeria won't be in the sutuation it is today.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Beaf: 6:29am On Feb 10, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ That looks like pics from the delta

Fail.
If you look carefully, you will see that they are your wretchedly treated minorities. In fact one of those pics is in the middle of town (you can make that out if you look carefully).
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by EzeUche(m): 7:13am On Feb 10, 2010
These Yorubas make me laugh. They have the audacity to consider themselves as the "principal" group? angry

NO, ethnic group in Nigeria is the "principal" ethnic group in the entire nation. Now there are principal groups in their respective regions, but not the whole nation.

This is why we need regional parties and an accurate census.
Re: Would Things Have Been Different in Nigeria if We Had A Principal Ethnic Group? by Ibime(m): 7:20am On Feb 10, 2010
Only if they respect the rights of the minority.

There are many nations where you have conflict between the principle ethnic group and the minorities, such as the Turks and Kurds in Turkey, the Han and Ughurs in China, the Sinhalese and Tamils in Sri Lanka etc etc etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo State Guber Debate: Gov Ikedi Ohakim Booed / The Kogi State Pdp Primary Election / Financial Times Lagos Report - At Last, Some Balanced Coverage Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.