Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? (3468 Views)

Facebook Founding President Sounds Alarm / Sounds,,,nfl,,helped,, / War Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by kuverah(f): 11:12pm On Aug 04, 2017
I don't have the time to read such the criticism and I don't care, but all I know is that 'War Room' is one of best movies I have watched that touched my soul deeply.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:07am On Aug 07, 2017
Jahblessme:
Buka buka

haven't watched it,don't intend to.
However ,the comment about young women being workers in the home clearly destroys any point that particular critic was making for me.
Will google the woman and see why the painment from critics.
Their words seem very strange and odd though-mysticism and co.
Maybe their own spirituality is the don't wear cotton and wool together sort(do not understand these stuff cos im not spiritual).
Will read on,looks interesting

I haven't watched it either, the negative reviews caught my attention since people declared it the elixir of good marriages.

I agree that their 'Faith' is 'different'. There are a host of bloggers who think women should never work outside the home...... even online businesses are just permissive. The binding of satan and prayer stuff; I am sure they will faint if they visit a church like Mountain of Fire or RCCG.

I have nothing against that type of prayer and some people disputing that God doesn't talk to people, they are on their own.

P.S: I apologize for the late responses and thanks to all contributors.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:11am On Aug 07, 2017
delishpot:
Before it was The other room now it is War room.

But the War Room came out before the Other Room. tongue grin

Nma27:
Worker at home? In this economy?

Well, they expect wives to be content with their husband's salary.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:32am On Aug 07, 2017
NoToPile:
I think the author was too "nitpicky and critical " grin

I really dont get it, I was thinking I would read something more , its more like the doctrinal beliefs of the writer didnt tally with what he saw in the movie

He is of the opinion that christain women shouldnt work outside the home except in some situations (like seriously) hes criticizing a movie that showed a working woman

Out of order :I just don't get how war room gives backsliders and assurance of salvation except its another movie he's talking about. Tony sinned against his wife and his bosses ans ultimately against God he repented , made restitution and fortunately his bosses didn't get him arrested but he did pay for what he stole, I watched when he said he would just pay back what he short changed the company.

Out of bounds : who said christains can't rebuke Satan? Get thee behind me Satan. I don't agree with him on this point? Just hearing that for the first time.
Now the prayer closet itself doesn't really mean you must have a special room dedicated for prayer only I feel it talks more about the prayer life of a christain and how battles can be won when you pray even if you do clean up a room to pray there's really nothing wrong with it. And yes prayer can change the atmosphere in a particular location, same way you know if you have walked into a wrong place as a christain its just about discernment.
Yes the name of Jesus does bring results , I didn't see any abracadabra lool.

Out of focus: There was a Godly sorrow over sin, tony was remorseful and bent down in his bedroom and prayed.

He simply has doctrinal issues with the movie jare and he's entitled to his opinion.

I was thinking what I would read is how people have made war room to be the general antidote to all marital problems. The war room principle has worked and will always work but its not for all situations I think.

All in all its a great movie just like most of the kendrik brothers film I have seen.

I think the critic really had time, but again, I believe he does this for a living.

I also do not agree with the points against 'contemplative prayer'.

Like you said, it is more of doctrinal issues.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:34am On Aug 07, 2017
LewsTherin:
I find this critic to be saying "this is not how I would have done it so it's crap"

The movie makers picked a point in Christianity and ran with it. The critic wants ALL of Christianity to be in every Christian movie. Even Jesus taught point by point.

While I can find points to criticize in the movie, I find this critic to be way too.......pharisee-ish

What did you think the movie got wrong?

@pharisee-ish: Hmmmmmm.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:40am On Aug 07, 2017
cococandy:
If I could talk face to face with this critic I'd tell him this:

"I can avoid working outside of the home without any financial difficulties but I have chosen to work outside of the home for my personal preference, do your worst tongue"
After I read that part, I refused to go on. Bullcrap.

On the other hand, that war room movie wasn't necessarily bad but I have a problem with folks prescribing it like it's paracetamol for headaches.

He will surely have a fit tongue grin

I find that there are the extreme/modern day/3rd wave etc. feminists who believe all women should do is focus on their careers/jobs without a home focus..... there are also the extreme christians/anti-feminists etc. who believe that all women should do is focus on their homes.

Would really like to discuss with both groups.

Abiagirl777:
there are so many approaches to diff issues on marriage which means there can't be one way out.but this war room movie that is Bern shoved up our throats each time one complains abt marriage is alarming.

Its a good movie though.

@Bold: Me too. The rate War Room took over Black pant & bra is alarming. shocked
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 9:58am On Aug 07, 2017
Pidgin2:

Both you and the original critic have the same line of thought if not why did you create this thread?

Imagine someone living in America saying women who work have committed a sin

I know that the devil and his accomplices will surely attack anything truth, so for the fact that the first point was even raised to criticize the lady, I already know where both of you are coming from

Give your life to Jesus, He is Lord!

We both know the bold doesn't make much sense. Not all treads are created because the OP agrees with the author. Infact, if you read the first post, you would understand that I wanted Nigerians' reviews of the movie.

If you are surprised that this American Critic said working wives are sinning, then you are in for a shocker. A number of Americans don't believe in working wives or women preachers. Some even advise women to stop teaching boys in church after 13; are against Choir Mistresses and any other position where women will have authority over men.

LOL! at the devil and his accomplices. Stop sounding like God can't defend Himself or His Word.

Fadamant:

I agree with your first paragraph, and I will go further. Bukatyne's assertion is that the movie is overhyped simply because it is a christian movie. Attack anything that supports the Bible. Pull down the church and Christianity. That is the construct.

If you got the post above from this thread then what can I say?

The Critic is a pastor who is saying the movie is not 'Christian enough'.

cococandy:
Lmao. You don't follow bukatyne.

Thanks. Those posts were funny.

1 Like

Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 10:01am On Aug 07, 2017
PaperLace:

Watch War Room tongue
I'm yet to watch it, for some very personal reasons.

Lol!

Too personal for this thread?
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 10:06am On Aug 07, 2017
MiddleDimension:
i think we men should be held to account for our behavious. The War Room just didn't do that, instead, it placed the success of the ome squarely on the woman, which in my opinion, is just not fair.

I just don't see tat movie as a model for my life.

Well, that is the danger in watching only one movie by a producer or listening to only one sermon by a pastor; you can't capture all their belief system.

The same producer did Fireproof where it was the husband who fought for the marriage and the success of the marriage was squarely on the husband's shoulders.

Watching both films will give a more holistic view to the mind of the producers on marriage.

CC: Benita27, PaperLace
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2017
DarkRebel69:
All these for a fictitious, murderous, and sickeningly partial "God" who already said that the "Jews" are his own "chosen people"? I wonder why Blacks, why Nigerians would lean over backwards for a "God" that doesn't give a rat-arse about them. SMH. Unthinking niggers.

Of course it's pure mysticism. Such an unimaginative yokel. That's why it's a movie, a mere work of fiction where banalities of everyday life are exaggerated for purpose of entertainment. I'm surprised the author did not suggest that the actors should have used their real names in the film. I'm surprised he didn't also argue that using a fake name – even if to play a role in a movie – is a form of deception and therefore qualifies as a sinful deed.

Honestly, this is quite distant from an objective criticism/review, and is really not worth reading. It seems more like the nitpickings of one with a dry, monochromic imagination.

I still don't know why the OP thought of posting this here. Is there some hidden meaning, some cryptic lesson to be discovered?

It goes without saying that relying on prayers or a "War Room" to get things done is as foolish as trudging the Artic Circle wried in scanty clothing. I can't speak for others, but I most certainly know that a "War Room" would not prevent "me" from screwing a woman other than my wife. If Fate would curse me with an hyper-fanatical Christian wife, then she had better know to take lessons from women like Cleopatra and Helen of Troy, because only sizzling, therapeutic sex served on a platter of regularity can keep my heart from wandering to the bed of another.

Hmmmmmmm................

Christians would be able to relate with the OP, sorry I can't going to the basics.

Interestingly, only sizzling, therapeutic sex served on a platter of regularity has never kept a man who wants to wander from wandering.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by freecocoa(f): 10:11am On Aug 07, 2017
This thing long o, but I've always known such movies are boring anyway. undecided
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 10:20am On Aug 07, 2017
TR1212:
Hmmmm.... Can't believe I read this whole epistle. Longest post I've had to read on nairaland.

Well constructed, although this critic has way too much time. In any case, take away his "out of home" criticism(which I believe to be arrant gibberish), he made some sense. I dont know what It is but when I watched the movie, I kinda felt my Nollywood brothers and sisters would've done better.

The rate at which the lead actress turned to a stunch spiri-koko, so much so that she was even commanding the devil... Plus a couple of other things.... Oh well, what do I know? Na feem... It is a good movie though.
Rating: 3.5

SO you also feel the lead actress became a staunch Christian too soon?

Likening it to Saul/Paul, he was blind for 3 days (during which he was praying and fasting), Ananias prayed for him & baptized him. After several days, he started preaching the gospel.

My point is that God can do anything with anyone.

The only reservation is not to give leadership positions to new converts so they don't become proud. 1 Tim 3:6
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2017
freecocoa:
This thing long o, but I've always known such movies are boring anyway. undecided

Wetin long? The review?

I don't think the movie is boring......
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by freecocoa(f): 11:38am On Aug 07, 2017
bukatyne:

Wetin long? The review?

I don't think the movie is boring......
Yea, the review.

You don watch am? grin
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by bukatyne(f): 11:43am On Aug 07, 2017
freecocoa:
Yea, the review.

You don watch am? grin

Nope, but the story has a line underneath the Christian lessons i.e. it has a life of its own.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by Afam4eva(m): 11:45am On Aug 07, 2017
MiddleDimension:
i think we men should be held to account for our behavious. The War Room just didn't do that, instead, it placed the success of the ome squarely on the woman, which in my opinion, is just not fair.

I just don't see tat movie as a model for my life.
No movie can be a model for life just like your Pastor's preaching can't be a model for marriages because both the movie producers and pastors interpret what they know or think the bible is saying. It's just that someone of us want to use our canal or worldly ideals to qualify the bible. If you must do that, do it on your own accord and don't try to somehow qualify it for what the bible says about it.

I personally believe that couples should live based on their own idiosyncrasies.

1 Like

Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by freecocoa(f): 11:56am On Aug 07, 2017
bukatyne:

Nope, but the story has a line underneath the Christian lessons i.e. it has a life of its own.
Yea yea, you know how I feel about religion but besides that, the fact that the writer's thought prayers, the solution to everything, including cheating, is ridiculous and boring, still, just my opinion. undecided
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by LewsTherin: 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2017
bukatyne:

What did you think the movie got wrong?

@pharisee-ish: Hmmmmmm.

My criticism were on the production. Little things. A shot taken one way where another may have been better. Stuff like that. But personally I watch Christian movies for the message not the production. Except where production is just bloody horrible like most Nollywood crap, I tend to ignore and just focus on tue message. Same with this movie
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by DarkRebel69: 11:30pm On Aug 07, 2017
bukatyne:

Hmmmmmmm................
Christians would be able to relate with the OP, sorry I can't going to the basics.

Interestingly, only sizzling, therapeutic sex served on a platter of regularity has never kept a man who wants to wander from wandering.

It's nearly biologically impossible for a man to pledge and unwaveringly uphold his troth to a single woman, likewise a woman to a single man. In essence, all married men want to "wander", and it's only the chiding thoughts of having to pay the piper on a later date that keeps most men in line.
Unless a man can come out and boldly say that all through his marriage he has never for once humoured the thought of swiving a lady other than his wife. I doubt we can find such a man, even the thoughts of priests occassionally walk through those corridors of sexual debauchery. The fact that such thoughts even exist vaguely hints that marriage, especially of the monogamous ilk, might all but be an illogical social construct, one that goes against the very grain of biology. But I digress;

Sex might not keep a man from wandering, but lack of sex will definitely make a man's infidelity a foregone conclusion. Excluding "money", many people marry mainly for these three reasons: Sex, love, and children. And it's usually only when one of these three, or two of these three, or all of it is lacking, that the curtains begin to close in on a marriage.

In conclusion, sex might not be a 100% fail-safe hedge against unfaithfulness, but hot, regular sex surely holds more sway than mere "prayers". Surely you would agree with that.
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by TR1212: 2:22am On Aug 08, 2017
bukatyne:

SO you also feel the lead actress became a staunch Christian too soon?

Likening it to Saul/Paul, he was blind for 3 days (during which he was praying and fasting), Ananias prayed for him & baptized him. After several days, he started preaching the gospel.

My point is that God can do anything with anyone.

The only reservation is not to give leadership positions to new converts so they don't become proud. 1 Tim 3:6

I do not know how to argue the bibile. To each his understanding according to the will of the Holy Spirit. So i'll let that slide. However, for someone who could barely say graces before meals, to suddenly start casting and binding demons, makes me kinda wonder why there are satanic influences and manipulations if it is that easy. The movie should probably have centered on God's graces and mercies upon us when we call on him, instead, it spoke more about some Instant power you receive to CHANGE THINGS as you wish upon being born again.

Don't know if i'm making sense, but somehow, I still think the message(s) in that movie didn't come out as strong as I'd have expected.

I'm inclined to agree with @Darkrebel69 and many other posters on this thread. A redeemed pastor I knew years back once told his church members during service that "marriage is 99% physical".

I don't know what it is exactly. Haven't been able to place hands on it, but I still maintain that the movie lacked in some aspects. Maybe it is because it is one of a kind and a great opportunity for the entire production crew to pass a wonderful message about marriage and its challenges. Maybe I have to watch it again and then come back and criticize better. But it is a good movie still. God be praised
Re: War Room Movie: Not As 'perfect' As It Sounds? by jokepearl(f): 2:36pm On Aug 08, 2017
I have seen the movie.... but most of the reviews point are more about doctrine and not really about the movie. I don't agree with many of his views not because the movie is 100% but because I don't agree with his doctrine.

BTW the movie is 1+ hr there is no time to show ALL the repentance process or everything involved with winning a backsliding person. You learn this process not from just a film. Learn something from the movie and move on.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Am In Love With My Kid Brother, I Feel Like Raping Him, Please Help / Lawyers In The House / I'm Interested In My Niece

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.