Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,916 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Inec Disqualifies Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec Disqualifies Atiku (1935 Views)

Re-run Polls: INEC Disqualifies Fresh Candidates / INEC Disqualifies APC From Cross River LG Polls / APGA Disqualifies Soludo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inec Disqualifies Atiku by azorjiu(m): 12:41am On Feb 09, 2007
The last is yet to be heard in the feud between obj and atiku.
At last atiku is disqualified.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=70129

"The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday went against its earlier position that it would not disqualify any candidate by declaring the Vice President and presidential candidate of the Action Congress (AC), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar ineligible for the April polls.
INEC, according to a top official last night, has disqualified Atiku and five other presidential candidates for their inability to scale through the screening to qualify them for the April 21 polls.
Three other parties would also not participate in the election. The Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), Peoples Redemption Party (PRP), and the Peoples Mandate Party (PMP) are barred for failing to field running mates while the vice presidential candidate of the Masses Movement of Nigeria (MMN) was disqualified because he was 32 years old.
Other candidates who did not secure INEC nod alongside Atiku are Lawrence Famakinde Adedoyin of the African Political System (APS); Ambrose Owuru of the Hope Democratic Party (HDP); Issa Odidi of the New Democrats (ND) Aminu Abubakar and Prof. Kingsley Ibe (National Unity Party, NUP).
But where Atiku failed, Abia State Governor Orji Kalu, presidential candidate of the Progressive Peoples Alliance (PPA) who is listed in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) list of indicted candidates, scaled the INEC hurdle alongside 17 others, including Maj-Gen. Muhammad Buhari of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP).
THISDAY checks revealed last night that Atiku’s failure to pass the verification exercise was due mainly to petitions against his candidacy and on-going litigations surrounding his indictment by a Federal Government Admini-strative Panel of Inquiry based on the EFCC report which accused him of corruption and abuse of office in the Petroleum Technology Deve-lopment Fund (PTDF) affair.
A senior INEC official told THISDAY last night that the Commission had no option but to stay action on clearing the vice president “for now” pending the determination of the court cases and resolution of the investigations against his candidature.
The source added that the non-qualification of Atiku to contest the presidential polls was the high-point of deliberations over findings of the Commission from the verification of candidates’ credentials and claims embarked upon last month.
Atiku and Kalu were prominent on a recent list compiled by the EFCC as candidates of parties who are unfit to hold public office on account of alleged corruption.
Though the anti-corruption agency said the list was advisory, the Federal Government constituted a panel of inquiry for those accused on the list to defend themselves.
Kalu, however, made the INEC list of those cleared to contest the election. The others are Buhari of the ANPP, Pat Utomi of the African Democratic Congress, Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, and Chief Emmanuel Okereke, All Peoples Liberation Party.
Others are Adebayo Adefarati, Alliance for Democracy; Godswill Nazi, Better Nigeria Progressive Party; Maxi Okwu, Citizens Popular Party; Attahiru Bafarawa, Democratic Peoples Party; Chris Okotie, Fresh Democratic Party; Umaru Yar’Adua, Peoples Democratic Party; and Habu Fari, National Democratic Party, NDP.
Also cleared are Osagie Obayuwana, National Conscience Party; Princess Vivien Ijoma, Nigeria Peoples Congress; Dr Akpore Solomon, National Majority Democratic Party; and Sunny Okogwu of the Republican Party of Nigeria (RPN).
The INEC had insisted on screening the candidates in spite of an outcry of opposition, based on the argument that it needed to verify the credentials and claims against the provisions of the constitution on criteria for qualification and disqualification.
The Commission had however, clarified that it was not embarking on the exercise to disqualify any candidate but to call attention of sponsoring parties where discrepancies existed.
But with the latest decision, it would seem the vice president has another legal hurdle to cross for him to realise his ambition to rule Nigeria after President Olusegun Obasanjo."
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 12:58am On Feb 09, 2007
A senior INEC official told THISDAY last night that the Commission had no option but to stay action on clearing the vice president “for now” pending the determination of the court cases and resolution of the investigations against his candidature

That does not seem to me as disqualification, another irresponsible headline.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by azorjiu(m): 5:50am On Feb 09, 2007
McKren:

That does not seem to me as disqualification, another irresponsible headline.

What seems to you like disqualification? Unless the content of the article is false, which is not unlikely in nigeria, you don't have any bases for the comment you made above.

"The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday went against its earlier position that it would not disqualify any candidate by declaring the Vice President and presidential candidate of the Action Congress (AC), Alhaji Atiku Abubakar ineligible for the April polls.
INEC, according to a top official last night, has disqualified Atiku and five other presidential candidates for their inability to scale through the screening to qualify them for the April 21 polls.

Does the above statement seem to you as disqualification?
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 8:43am On Feb 09, 2007
Read the article properly, your excerpts are conclusion drawn by thisday, but the excerpt I posted is a qoute from an INEC official.

Ok if INEC was conclusive on the issue how come only thisday heard it??/ Atiku has not been cleared owing to ongoing legal proceedings on the matter that does not mean he has been disqualified.
Dont get me wrong, I am waiting to see Atiku disqualified. But some times members of Turaki Vanguard ovrshoots issues so as to blackmail the process before hand and I dont want INEC to make such mistakes. They have enough tool to disqualify Atiku but that can only work if due process is observed.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by dejoski: 6:49pm On Feb 09, 2007
[flash=200,200]http://sha shocked this is niger d land of possibilities but if it's true that INEC has disqualified my own atiku then there is therefore no election then since is just goin to be a passin of baton from one obasanjo to another but still i doubt if Alhaji Atiku Abubarka will allow such a miscreet joke to jeopardice is fruitfull and excellent ambition[/flash]
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by toshmann(m): 7:17pm On Feb 09, 2007
why is PDP afraid of Atiku? Atiku will not be president b/c PDP will rig the election anyway, so why all this wahala heating up the polity?

just b/c he started his campaign in Kano with such massive crowd that the presidency was shaken into something drastic.

Look i dont give a shit about Atiku or PDP. they are all the same to me, but I care for peace in the country b/c when the bubble bursts these people will run the foreign countries with their families while poor people will remain in nigeria to suffer angry

1 Like

Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 7:34pm On Feb 09, 2007
toshmann:

why is PDP afraid of Atiku? Atiku will not be president b/c PDP will rig the election anyway, so why all this wahala heating up the polity?

just b/c he started his campaign in Kano with such massive crowd that the presidency was shaken into something drastic.

Look i don't give a shit about Atiku or PDP. they are all the same to me, but I care for peace in the country b/c when the bubble bursts these people will run the foreign countries with their families while poor people will remain in nigeria to suffer angry

As if the plot to disqualify Atiku started this week, why all this talk of Kano massive crowd grin grin grin, did the EFCC and Presidential Panel of Enquiry indict him this week After that indictment it was obvious he was not going to take part in elections. The truth is that I suspect Garba Shehu has some strong ties with the media otherwise I don't understand why the Nigerian media keeps reporting news from an Atiku point of view.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by azorjiu(m): 8:20pm On Feb 09, 2007
Atiku, as a traitor, should be made to face serious charges after his disqualification (or losing out in the pools). The posibility of a president atiku is bleak. He should stop whinning.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by lewa(m): 8:47pm On Feb 09, 2007
Leave Turaki alone!OBJ has spent the past 8 years of his mis-rule disobeying court orders, fanning embers of strife in the N/D, Anambra, Plateau and Oyo States;enriching himself and employing double standards whilst dealing with foes!He cast the first stone,momentarily forgetting that he lives in a glass house and now the ricochet is killing him!EFCC is now his bulwark to deal with Atiku!He has dared EFCC to expose what they have and i'm waiting for them to expose OBJ'S source of collateral for his school. college and farms., Let EFCC probe OBJ and tell us what they have on Atiku. We all know this is a plan to stop Atiku and OBJ forgets history- Gowon, IBB,Abacha eventually paid the lifetime price of ignominy and derision for wanting to perpetuate themselves in power. OBJ perhaps should borrow a page or two from history,how is he going to be remembered when push comes to shove one day?
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by otokx(m): 8:58pm On Feb 09, 2007
This is getting all the more interesting.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by BigB11(m): 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2007
Imagine Atiku as the next Nigerian president; what will happen to OTA farm? what will happen to all those Trans. stocks and what will happen to OBJ, himself?

This fight is not for us, Nigerians. It is OBJ's personal fight, may be the biggest one of his life.

OBJ is very paranoid and scared of any revenge coming his way from ATiku.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 9:20pm On Feb 09, 2007
Dreams!!!!!!!!!! Dreamsssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!! Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmsssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The leftists have come to stay and will rule for a very long time.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by debosky(m): 9:25pm On Feb 09, 2007
that is an alarmist headline, Thisday disappointed me on that one. INEC has withheld decision on Atiku pendng the resolution of the myriad of court cases he is involved in. this is the guardian's take on the matter, much more balanced and less sensational.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article01
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by Mamajama(m): 10:33pm On Feb 09, 2007
Next thing ATIKU will escape like all the other governors be on the look out for that.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by azorjiu(m): 11:42pm On Feb 09, 2007
Turaki is the 'best president nigeria will never have'.

He now epitomises the long awaited Moses under whose regime nigeria will leave her Egypt.
Absolute nonesense! His main strenght now is the unfortunate situation in the niger-delta. His desparation to secure the aso-seat is both suspicious and questionable. This is the man who 'knew' so much that was going wrong, but chose not to tell nigerians. His recent 'mouth erosion' is not impressing anybody. He should go back to Adamawa to enjoy his booty. hmmm.

The following is an excerpt from the speech of His excellency, 'President-to-be', Turaki Abubakar as reported in http://www.tribune.com.ng/10022007/news/news1.html

Abubakar said that if elected, the AC would develop the Niger Delta the way the Federal Government had developed Abuja by establishing a Ministry of Niger Delta Development with an indigene of the region as Minister.

He said his administration would also review the present oil revenue allocation formula in favour of oil-bearing states and communities.

Abubakar, who paid tribute to indegenes of the area such as Isaac Adaka Boro and Ken Saro Wiwa, assured the people that if elected as president, one of his first actions in office would be to release Dokubo.

Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 12:01am On Feb 10, 2007
ATIKU'S ELECTION MANIFESTO, I WILL RELEASE DOKUBO.

God dey sha
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by debosky(m): 12:15am On Feb 10, 2007
Release him and then what? in the next month the man will cause more trouble than anyone could imagine.

simply playing to the gallery is Atiku's forte. nothing to offer, NOTHING
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by McKren(m): 12:23am On Feb 10, 2007
Guys don't worry the hatchet man will soon pull the trigger, there is just one person that Atiku and his PR have no clue how to deal with its Prof. Maurice Iwu.
Atiku's ambition will soon come to an end.
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by lewa(m): 2:56am On Feb 10, 2007
Politics involves spin!Atiku's just playing on a not to level field!But to think of it the people of the N/D have been shortchanged by their leaders and with OBJ as regards their share of the mineral wealth, Atiku might remedy the situation they face-and before anyone swallows me, just my take
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by quickberry(m): 9:25am On Dec 31, 2018
Akara tu sepo.....this was when he was V.P oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by Corrinthians(m): 9:30am On Dec 31, 2018
quickberry:
Akara tu sepo.....this was when he was V.P oo
That was democracy pdp style for you. Imagine Buhari did something close to this today!

Pdp is indeed a curse to this country, and so is anyone who supports them. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by quickberry(m): 9:32am On Dec 31, 2018
Corrinthians:
That was democracy pdp style for you. Imagine Buhari did something close to this today!

Pdp is indeed a curse to this country, and so is anyone who supports them. angry

Had it been it happened under Buhari, wawa dan wahalas would have been shouting up and down
Re: Inec Disqualifies Atiku by quickberry(m): 10:15am On Dec 31, 2018
I know that wawa dan wahalas will avoid this thread

(1) (Reply)

Guo Okeke: Abductors Demand N500m Ransom / Massive Fire In Peckham (Check on your loved ones) / NNO Official Statement On The Kano Suicide Bombing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.