Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) (63330 Views)

Armed Robber Execution In 1972 At Bar Beach Lagos (Disturbing Throwback Video) / Abike: Out Of 21 Drug Dealers Waiting Execution In Indonesia, 20 From Anambra / Murderer Will Eat Last Supper Before Execution By Electric Chair In U.S.(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by HenryWilliams(m): 5:06pm On Aug 02, 2017
I can vividly recollect watching this execution on channel 8 back in the day..
The way the Black Maria brought them to the execution ground..the condemned singing praise and worship songs..
Then the soldiers rolled in..I saw their faces.. Northerners the lot of them
I remember them tied up..the one in white..kept smiling maniacally..
The robed priest.. Giving last prayers.. Then the shooting started..
Three salvos...one after the other.
White lace guy broke free of his restraints..attempting to kick the bullets away while screaming.."Ade! Warn your men o!"
The shooting stopped.. Doctor went over to confirm death.. Got rattled by a twitching body..
Another round of shots however ended the journey..
The people charged with removal of the corpses had a grim look in their faces
It wasn't a nice scene fixed in the mind of a 17 year old.

13 Likes

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by kingthreatz: 6:52pm On Aug 02, 2017
Evans deserves this

1 Like

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Abbeybailey(m): 6:53pm On Aug 02, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

This is what we should do all our stealing politicians..

Line them up with their families and shoot like its WWIII
I rarely agree with you but on that one, you hit a home run

2 Likes

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by kenoz(m): 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
Hmm. !
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by martineverest(m): 6:54pm On Aug 02, 2017
But ppl - mind o... Watching ppl die ìs barbaric
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by noscarn91(m): 6:58pm On Aug 02, 2017
777philosopher:
see your tiny breasts. I wish I can suck it. and I will f-u-c-k you hard
I swear my bro , the girl na fine girl
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Jobabori(m): 6:58pm On Aug 02, 2017
Please who can tell us their whole story. Who are they?. What are their names?. Which offence do they committed? Which year was the execution? and more
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by iamtardey: 6:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
when is Evans Own so we can all go and see? angry
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by BeSafeOnline: 6:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

wow!

what joy will be in thier minds! nothing is as good as dying for what you believe in!

now they died martyrs!

brave men!
shocked

#DEEP
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by mmsen: 7:00pm On Aug 02, 2017
emaxjey:
crime don't pay..d end is suffering and death...but still dey won't hear...an adage says the dog that will get lost won't hear the whistle of the hunter ..kudos to all legitimate hustlers out there...baba God go pick awa call oo

What nonsense are you talking - has George Bush for waging war for cheap minerals in the Middle East?
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Danelo(m): 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2017
I hope dey gave their lives to Christ bfo execution?
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by BeSafeOnline: 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2017
decatalyst:

Show us your own undecided

You saw "Getty image" watermarked on pics and you don't know the pictures must have some degree of high quality before it is admitted into archive by Getty image?

undecided

Lol...

Easy on him bro
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by logica(m): 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2017
HenryWilliams:
Hmm. Abacha took us back to the Dark Ages.

1 Like

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by naptu2: 7:03pm On Aug 02, 2017
Convicted Armed Robbers Are Put to Death in Nigeria : Africa: A crowd of 1,000 looks on as army firing squad executes convicts to crack down on recent upsurge of violent crime.

July 23, 1995|TUNDE OBADINA | REUTERS

LAGOS, Nigeria
— A firing squad of Nigerian soldiers in camouflage executed 43 convicted armed robbers Saturday before a hushed crowd of 1,000 people at a Lagos prison execution ground, witnesses said.

Violent crime has increased dramatically in Lagos and other urban centers in Nigeria in recent months as the economic and political life in the country has deteriorated.

It was the largest number of prisoners executed in one day in Nigeria in decades and was certain to draw more international attention to Nigeria's military rulers, widely criticized for a secret coup trial which convicted a former head of state and 39 others.

Saturday's executions, which the government said were intended to crack down on a recent upsurge in violent crime, were carried out in batches at the Kirikiri maximum security prison.

Soldiers dressed in camouflage and with black shoe polish on their faces fired semi-automatic weapons to execute the convicts who were tied to stakes in three groups of 12 and one of seven.

The executions, which lasted 90 minutes, were witnessed by three doctors, who certified the deaths, an Irish Roman Catholic priest and a Muslim imam.

The government had said 53 would be executed, but Lagos Controller of Prisons C.O. Odikpo said that 10 had been granted stays of execution.

Campaign for Democracy, an alliance of human rights groups, said in a statement that the 43 bodies were taken away in a Lagos State government waste disposal van.

"The men who carried out such barbaric acts are unfit to live in human society," Campaign for Democracy added.

Abdul Oroh, executive director of Civil Liberties Organization said the executions would not curb violent crime.

"We have been executing robbers since the early 1970s and we are still having armed robbery," he said. "Executions will make the robbers harder and more violent."

An official statement released Friday said robbery had recently escalated to crisis proportions in Africa's most populous country and the convicts slated for execution included "those terrorizing innocent citizens of the state."

Oroh said the rise in robberies was due to the poor state of the economy and influx of weapons into Nigeria from the Nigerian-led ECOMOG peace-keeping operation in Liberia.

The number executed was one more than the 42 coup plotters shot secretly in 1990 for a bloody rebellion against then-military President Ibrahim Babangida.

The possibility that some of the 40 people convicted in the latest coup plot trial may face the firing squad has made capital punishment a topic of public debate in Nigeria.

It has also raised international concern about the fate of the alleged plotters, including ex-ruler Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo.

Three former British prime ministers and several African leaders have urged Gen. Sani Abacha's government to show clemency, and Washington has said it has not ruled out economic sanctions to pressure Nigeria to return to civilian rule.

Many homes in Lagos, a city of 6 million people, have been attacked by robbers who sometimes kill, maim or rape their victims in addition to carting away their property.

Robbers also have become more daring. In a June 29 incident, 10 people, including police, an army officer and civilians, were killed in shootouts with robbers that spanned different parts of the city and lasted several hours.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-07-23/news/mn-27074_1_firing-squad-executes-convicts

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2017
StarBukola:
Op,u sure say this ur pix na 1995
You are beautiful
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by luluman: 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2017
iMUMUweh:
shocked

wow!

what joy will be in thier minds! nothing is as good as dying for what you believe in!

now they died martyrs!

brave men!
shocked

1 Like

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by LordAdam16: 7:05pm On Aug 02, 2017
777philosopher:

What if a gay person says this (or a variant) to you on a public forum, how'd you feel?

Use your brain.

-Lord

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 02, 2017
Nwamaaikpe wannabe undecided
iMUMUweh:
shocked

wow!

now they died martyrs!

brave men!
shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by NaijaNaWaa: 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
There was no public execution in Nigeria from 1990 upwards. The execution of Orkar & co for coup against IBB wasn't public. Check you date.
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
decatalyst:
I wish it can be brought back...,............in order to instill a bit of fear into the young ones who might want to engage in unscrupulous practices undecided

It doesn't deter them.

Capital punishment doesn't work. I support doing it just because of an eye for an eye but not because it deters.

1 Like

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by MrCork: 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
Fabulocity:
Nwamaaikpe wannabe undecided

...ok then..kindly describe yorrr sef & confirm if u hav nyansh...what size? undecided
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Freelancer007(m): 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by luluman: 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2017
decatalyst:

I guess your teacher never took time to explain to you, who a child is or who is called a child.

You need attention...now swerve please!
A true adult would ignore these attacks & forge on.
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Alitair(m): 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2017
decatalyst:

Nah me be child, right?

Hmmm...commonsense should have provided you 'wisdom' to decipher when not to talk like a slowpoke on a faceless forum or not to regard everyone as your peer. Well, commonsense isn't common after all undecided

I don't expect you to be sound upstairs cuz I can see...you may be worse than a certain bobrisky.

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by frank2075: 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2017
I wish it can be brought back...,............in order to instill a bit of fear into the politicians that have kidnapped and held us captives for over 50 years
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Kokaine(m): 7:09pm On Aug 02, 2017
dominique:
Scary. I wonder what was going through the minds of those men that very moment.
even the soldiers firing.
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by dckng16(m): 7:10pm On Aug 02, 2017
logica:
Hmm. Abacha took us back to the Dark Ages.
he was a dictator and brutal killer. He shows no mercy
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by odedinigbin(m): 7:11pm On Aug 02, 2017
777philosopher:

Oboi,u re naughty,dirty and senseless
How can you be so loose and indecent on social media
Guess u re a bus conductor

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 02, 2017
What was their crime?

viviangist:
@VIVIANGIST

Throwback Pictures : Public Execution (by firing squad) in Lagos July 1 1995 : A crowd of 1,000 people watched.

Source : http://www.viviangist.com.ng/throwback-pictures-public-execution-by-firing-squad-in-lagos-july-1-1995
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by decatalyst(m): 7:13pm On Aug 02, 2017
luluman:
A true adult would ignore these attacks & forge on.

Sometimes, you just have to put up a good riddance to a bad rubbish.
Re: Public Execution By Firing Squad In Lagos, July 1, 1995 (Throwback Photos) by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 02, 2017
LordAdam16:

What if a gay person says this (or a variant) to you on a public forum, how'd you feel?

Use your brain.

-Lord
you are a Fool for those ignorant words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

EFCC Declares Elfreda Lolo-Sekibo Wanted (Photo) / 18-Year-Old Boy Kills His Mother In Edo, Has sex with Corpse for money ritual / Sowunmi Ayodeji Kayode Wanted By NDLEA (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.