Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,403 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year (515 Views)

Take A Look At Kano State Isolation Centre That Was Built With 20 Billion Naira / FG Releases ₦20 Billion For The East-West Road Project / Kwara Muslim Youths Protest Against The Renewal Of License Cigarettes Production (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by phosky(m): 6:58am On Aug 02, 2017
NIGERIANS SMOKE 20 BILLION CIGARETTES EVERY YEAR
source : http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/08/nigerians-smoke-20-billion-cigarettes.html

The Federal Government through the Ministry of Health has lamented the high consumption rate of tobacco in the country, saying that about 4.5 million Nigerians consumed 20 billion cigarettes yearly.

The Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said this on Monday at a sensitisation workshop for law enforcement agencies and mass media on the implementation of the National Tobacco Control Act 2015 in Abuja.

The minister said preventive measures to be taken by the government through the Tobacco Control Act would include prohibition of smoking for persons under 18 years of age as well as the ban on smoking in parks, markets, restaurants and other public places.

Eyes Of Lagos gathered that, Adewole, whose speech was read by the Head of Department, Public Health, Dr. Evelyn Ngige, said, “According to Nigeria’s adult tobacco survey, over 20 billion sticks of cigarettes are consumed in the country by 4.5 million adults. This is 5.6 per cent of our population annually. The survey shows that 4.1 million men and 500,000 women smoke in Nigeria, while 6.4 million adults are exposed to smokers. We have to fight this looming epidemic now.

“In May 2017, the World Health Organisation reported that tobacco presently kills more than seven million people each year. Six million deaths are from direct use while others are due to exposure to tobacco smoking.

“Low and middle-income countries such as Nigeria account for 80 per cent tobacco-related morbidity and mortality. This is an increased strain on our already weak and fragile health system.”

The minister called on security agencies including the Nigeria Customs Service to bring stringent conditions on tobacco companies and sellers so as to discourage the culture of smoking.

“Tobacco is the only drug that has been linked to many cancers. It also contributes to many other health conditions. The government will begin the prohibition of the sale of tobacco to anyone below the age of 18 years. Secondly, the buying and sale of cigarettes will be sold in only a pack of 20 sticks. We will also ban the sale of tobacco through mails and other online devices. Smoking anywhere in the premises of a childcare, educational and healthcare facility shall also be prohibited.”

Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sorextee(m): 6:59am On Aug 02, 2017
Last last, we will all die. Either a smoker or not.
Cigar dey calm person down.
If u go to the toilet, without a stick of cigarette, the poo wont come out well.
If u dnt take a cigarette, after eating a heavy meal, the food wont digest well. grin

For those of us who wanna quit, may God help us achieve that feat.

Katsina peeps are the highest smokers in the whole country. Their men, women, children. All of dem Na smokers..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by daewoorazer(m): 6:59am On Aug 02, 2017

How about fishbone Stat?

#zanga

Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by xxgig(m): 7:01am On Aug 02, 2017
Our people up north, wehdone Sir/Ma
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by nextprince: 7:02am On Aug 02, 2017
That's too much an amount.
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Otradearena: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2017
.... and North has the highest smokers grin
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sarrki(m): 7:05am On Aug 02, 2017
I think its far above if Bat does 14.5 billions sticks, JTI Japan tobacco does 5.5billions sticks, And others does within 7.5 billions sticks

Something must definitely kill a man
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by LifeIsGuhd(f): 7:06am On Aug 02, 2017
Alhaji kwumbula that will be smoking under sokoto sun angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sarrki(m): 7:07am On Aug 02, 2017
xxgig:
Our people up north, wehdone Sir/Ma

East and southwest are the premium smokers

The north is not doing bahd though

The north smokes 55% of that amount

I stand to be corrected
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by LifeIsGuhd(f): 7:08am On Aug 02, 2017
sarrki:

East and southwest are the premium smokers

The north is not doing bahd though

The north smokes 55% of that amount

I stand to be corrected

For cigarette? The north is leading by 75%.
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sarrki(m): 7:10am On Aug 02, 2017
LifeIsGuhd:

For cigarette? The north is leading by 75%.

I know how it works sis

I know it very well
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by emaxjey(m): 7:10am On Aug 02, 2017
who are the smokers,the smoker,the sellers ..give the full list b4 I can believe that lie up there
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Young03(m): 7:11am On Aug 02, 2017
It's a lie

if na Tm n weed I go believe
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by LifeIsGuhd(f): 7:12am On Aug 02, 2017
sarrki:

I know how it works sis

I know it very well

Good good
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sarrki(m): 7:13am On Aug 02, 2017
Young03:
It's a lie

if na Tm n weed I go believe

That's the reality bro

Bat as at 2012 /2013 does 12.5 to 13.88 billion sticks
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Young03(m): 7:14am On Aug 02, 2017
sarrki:

That's the reality bro
Bat as at 2012 /2013 does 12.5 to 13.88 billion sticks
well I hate cigarettes
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by sarrki(m): 7:15am On Aug 02, 2017
Young03:

well I hate cigarettes

Yeah bro

Its addictive

It kills
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Dunamiz(m): 7:16am On Aug 02, 2017
Hmmmmmmmmmm. That's interesting.
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by medolab90(m): 7:22am On Aug 02, 2017
20 billion if Nigeria should be smoking that only God knows what US will be smoking
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by greatiyk4u(m): 7:27am On Aug 02, 2017
Paullo my guy alone smokes atleast 200k cigarette yearly
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:28am On Aug 02, 2017
That's a lot of pain for a people. The lung cancer, the acute pericarditis, the failures. While we are begging some to use their pain others are killing themselves more. You can't burn away pain or your problems. You will only burn yourself away. http://www.mortalpoet.com/dont-waste-your-pain/
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by OnowuOra(m): 7:30am On Aug 02, 2017
Hmmm that's huge
On the Average a sticke of cigarettes is sold for # 20
Multiply 20bil by #20= 400bil

Smokers are really doing a great investment
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by Marcelo290(m): 9:34am On Aug 02, 2017
while others smoke for the fun of it, Majority people in the North smoke to forget their sorrows and keep life going...
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by reallest(f): 9:59am On Aug 02, 2017
sorextee:
Last last, we will all die. Either a smoker or not.
Cigar dey calm person down.
If u go to the toilet, without a stick of cigarette, the poo wont come out well.
If u dnt take a cigarette, after eating a heavy meal, the food wont digest well. grin

For those of us who wanna quit, may God help us achieve that feat.

Katsina peeps are the highest smokers in the whole country. Their men, women, children. All of dem Na smokers..

S'oro niyen
Re: Nigerians Smoke 20 Billion Cigarettes Every Year by seunny4lif(m): 10:06am On Aug 02, 2017
Blood of Satan

(1) (Reply)

Melaye Asks Acting President To Declare State Of Emergency In Kogi / Buhari Not As Healthy As Being Portrayed- Sahara Reporters / Why Buhari Can Cancel FEC Meeting At Will – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.