Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,306 members, 7,954,232 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:02 PM

Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? (859 Views)

Fact Check: Did Our Ancestors Live Longer Than Us? / Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? / Could Eating Chili Peppers Help You Live Longer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by Idyrich: 12:34pm On Aug 02, 2017
I love modernization but I think we are fast throwing away our tradition and culture and embracing modernization fully. Our ancestors lived healthier and longer than us because:
1. They ate better food
2. They drank better water
3. They used herbal medicine
4. They had less stress
5. They had minimal exposure to toxins
6. They spent a lot of time outside
7. They practised preventive medicine
8. They wore cotton clothing
9. Their daily consumables were natural and organic
10. They loved wholeheartedly

Now I ask: can we still do these? Can we at least combine modern technology with these tested and proven healthy living style?
Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by mrbillz(m): 12:48pm On Aug 02, 2017
The reasons are aforementioned already.
Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by oglalasioux(m): 1:23pm On Aug 02, 2017
No. People in the past didn't live longer. Infant deaths were higher in the past. No one understood diseases back then and they claimed a lot of people.

What is the reason behind world exploding population? We weren't this many in the past even though families were having 10 to 12 children with some men marrying multiple wives and having even more children back then. The average families these days have 4 children but there are more people in the world because less people die at infancy and modern medicine makes us live longer.

While it's true that diets of the past were healthier compared to now, remember that they ate those foods year in year out without balancing up with nutrients the body needs. This alone exposed them to disease immune deficiency.

And who says they drank better water? Where did they get the better water?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by Idyrich: 1:31pm On Aug 02, 2017
oglalasioux:
No. People in the past didn't live longer. Infant deaths were higher in the past. No one understood diseases back then and they claimed a lot of people.

What is the reason behind world exploding population? We weren't this many in the past even though families were having 10 to 12 children with some men marrying multiple wives and having even more children back then. The average families these days have 4 children but there are more people in the world because less people die at infancy and modern medicine makes us live longer.

While it's true that diets of the past were healthier compared to now, remember that they ate those foods year in year out without balancing up with nutrients the body needs. This alone exposed them to disease immune deficiency.

And who says they drank better water? Where did they get the better water?

I completely disagree. Any pharmaceutical invention today is based on the intuition of our forefathers. Yes they did trial and error and when they get it right. They stood by it. They ate balanced meals and even more nutritive meals compared with what we have today. Yes they drank better water. The spring water was alkaline, full if natural energy and had negative oxygen potential. The clay pot was porous and alkaline too. What we drink today is a far cry from what they drank: overly treated acidic water in poisonous packaging.

Yes modernization has helped with infant mortality rate via immunizations but this singe act doesn't mean we should throw away the good parts from our ancestors lifestyle. My suggestion is we pick what worked then and merge with what works now.

Don't forget modern diagnostic techniques are also not perfect! I don't even want to go into the effects of irradiation etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by oglalasioux(m): 2:15pm On Aug 02, 2017
Idyrich:

I completely disagree. Any pharmaceutical invention today is based on the intuition of our forefathers. Yes they did trial and error and when they get it right. They stood by it. They ate balanced meals and even more nutritive meals compared with what we have today. Yes they drank better water. The spring water was alkaline, full if natural energy and had negative oxygen potential. The clay pot was porous and alkaline too. What we drink today is a far cry from what they drank: overly treated acidic water in poisonous packaging.

Yes modernization has helped with infant mortality rate via immunizations but this singe act doesn't mean we should throw away the good parts from our ancestors lifestyle. My suggestion is we pick what worked then and merge with what works now.

Don't forget modern diagnostic techniques are also not perfect! I don't even want to go into the effects of irradiation etc.

There's nowhere in your post that suggested the bolded. There are however very little that worked back then that we can use now.

Have you ever heard of guinea worm? It came from the water our ancestors drank. The earthenware pots didn't stop the disease. I know a village where it disfigured many people. The disease was able to be brought under control in 1987. How?

The government built a water treatment plant and everyone had good clean water. The disease now lives in the archives of history.

You hardly hear of cholera outbreak. It was a yearly epidemic during the times of our ancestors because they drank the same water they defecate into.

No. Life is much better now. Our ancestors' lives can be summarised in one word; BRUTAL. Please don't advise that we return to those dark times.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by Idyrich: 4:18pm On Aug 02, 2017
oglalasioux:

There's nowhere in your post that suggested the bolded. There are however very little that worked back then that we can use now.

Have you ever heard of guinea worm? It came from the water our ancestors drank. The earthenware pots didn't stop the disease. I know a village where it disfigured many people. The disease was able to be brought under control in 1987. How?

The government built a water treatment plant and everyone had good clean water. The disease now lives in the archives of history.

You hardly hear of cholera outbreak. It was a yearly epidemic during the times of our ancestors because they drank the same water they defecate into.

No. Life is much better now. Our ancestors' lives can be summarised in one word; BRUTAL. Please don't advise that we return to those dark times.

Please check the last part of my first post. I asked if we could combine modern technology with these traditional technology. Meaning combining what works now with what worked then?

I wouldn't describe it as brutal. What is brutal is girls of 25 years dying of cervical cancer. What is brutal is the rate of diabetes, hypertension and even effects of excessive oxidation caused by free radicals. These are all effects of modernization. It can be curbed. We shouldn't throw away the earthen pot yet. We can have it modernized. We can stop drinking acidic water and focus on neutral or alkaline water in a modernized way. That's my point!
Re: Why Did Our Ancestors Live Longer? by brownemmanuel43(m): 1:00am On Mar 16, 2023
Idyrich:

Please check the last part of my first post. I asked if we could combine modern technology with these traditional technology. Meaning combining what works now with what worked then?

I wouldn't describe it as brutal. What is brutal is girls of 25 years dying of cervical cancer. What is brutal is the rate of diabetes, hypertension and even effects of excessive oxidation caused by free radicals. These are all effects of modernization. It can be curbed. We shouldn't throw away the earthen pot yet. We can have it modernized. We can stop drinking acidic water and focus on neutral or alkaline water in a modernized way. That's my point!
U are absolutely correct sir. Ever since we dumped some certain things in our culture and way of living, that's d beginning of some strange ailments. It should be a combination of what worked for our ancestors and what is working for us not throwing d former away

(1) (Reply)

Causes Of Lagos Water Odour And The Best Treatment Methodology- 08143352493 / What You Should Know About ASTHMA / 10 Foods That Increase Sperm Count Naturally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.