Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,918 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 (537 Views)

For Atheist Doubting God , How Do You Explain This / My Advice For Atheist / For Atheist: Come And Tell Us How Man Came Into Existence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by mordsith: 9:15am On Aug 04, 2017
The Brain Behind The Trap

Humans who set traps or hunt usually engage in a series of processes. We don't just set a trap without first studying the animals in question; what it eats and where it lives.

Back in the village at Oyede Kingdom in Delta state I usually hunt rabbits as a kid.
1. I found out that they ate carrots
2. I knew that they live in holes.

I built a trap that closes when the rabbit entered to eat the carrots.

ALL THESE WERE POSSIBLE BECAUSE I AM HUMAN AND I OBSERVE, READ, ASK QUESTIONS AND ABOVE ALL ELSE I THINK.

We humans are not the only living things that set traps.... animals also set traps too. When this occurs we believe that these animals have observed their prey

However when we learn of plants that build traps we begin to wonder on certain aspects.

let's see an example

A giant plant that can gobble up bugs and even rodents has been discovered in Southeast Asia.
The carnivorous plant ( nepenthes attenboroughii ) was found by researchers atop Mt. Victoria, a remote mountain in Palawan, Philippines. The research team, led by Stewart McPherson of Red Fern Natural History Productions, had learned of the plant in 2000 after a group of Christian missionaries stumbled upon it while trekking up a remote mountain and reported it to a local newspaper.
The discovery, announced last week, was detailed in the Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society.
The pitcher plant is the world's second largest and can grow to more than 4 feet tall, with a pitcher-shaped structure filled with liquid. The plant secretes nectar around its mouth to lure rats, insects and other prey into its trap. Once an animal has fallen in, enzymes and acids in the fluid break down the carcass of the drowned victim.
The world's largest pitcher plant ( nepenthes rajah ) was discovered in 1858 by British naturalist Hugh Low in Borneo. The plant's rat-eating habit was confirmed four years later when his colleague Spenser St. John found a drowned rat inside one of the specimens.
Though some have approached McPherson to ask about the likelihood of cultivating the monster plants as mouse traps for rodent-infested regions like New York City, the botanist (who also happens to specialize in pitcher plants) says he finds the idea "a bit far-fetched."
"Mice and rats are attracted to the sweet nectar of the plant, but it only catches them occasionally," says McPherson. "It just isn't practical. There will be too many mice for the plant to catch anyways."

https://www.livescience.com/10561-giant-plant-eats-rodents.html

Here are the quiz for the atheist week 1

How did a plant with no eyes, ears or brain (only has trigger mechanism) do the following.

1. Know of the existence of rodents (rats), rodents and small mammals?

2. How did it discover the diets of the said animals (as I did for rabbits), and hence use such knowledge for trap building?

3 . Efficient design of trap(please feel free to ignore this question if you can't answer 1 and 2)?

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by mordsith: 9:19am On Aug 04, 2017
Rules:

1. No name calling or digressions

2. No use of runaround logic such as ("Other plants also have this traps setting capacity"; Its being clever by quarter not even half).

3. Try not to bring sick logic..... there are intelligent persons on Nairaland that get disgusted at lies.

cc: Seun and crew please come in

picture shows rat in a plant trap

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by onetrack(m): 9:27am On Aug 04, 2017
The theory of evolution explains this and other adaptive phenomena perfectly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by mordsith: 9:36am On Aug 04, 2017
onetrack:
The theory of evolution explains this and other adaptive phenomena perfectly.
jj
Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by Niflheim(m): 2:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
@op,

You made a lot of erroneous assumptions in your original post!!!

ERROR NUMBER 1: You are addressing a scientific question to atheists, when you are supposed to address it to a botanist, a biologist or zoologist!!!

ERROR NUMBER 2: A rat inside a plant is not evidence of a god(unless you worship rats and pitcher plants)!!!

ERROR NUMBER 3: Who told you that the pitcher plant only has a "trigger mechanism"? Where is your evidence for this nonsense?

ERROR NUMBER 4: You claim that the design of the trap is efficient, and yet the expert that you quoted(Mc Pherson), has just explained that it can only catch some of them!!! Why would you do this?

ERROR NUMBER 5: Plants have "photoreceptors"(the same way that humans have photorceptors), and photoreceptors are a sense organ used to detect light!!! So in other words, just because plants may not be able to see in the exact same way that humans do, does not necessarily mean that they cannot see!!!

ERROR NUMBER 6: Plants may not have ears, but that does not mean that they cannot detect different vibrations, and these differences in vibration will allow them to determine the size of their prey!!!

ERROR NUMBER 7: How do plants detect("see"wink infra-red light? Have you never heard of the "phytochromes"?

ERROR NUMBER 8: So you feel that a plant needs a brain to communicte? PURE RUBBISH!!! Trees can communicate with each other by passing messages through their roots and also along underground webs of fungal growth!!!

ERROR NUMBER 9: What do you mean by the "plant knowing the diet of the rats? Is the plant a Chef at Federal Palace Hotel? It is written boldly in the article that the rodents are attracted to the sweet nectar!!! So if I suddenly shit in the cassava field and the flies gather, you will ask me, "EGBON!!! BUT HOW YOU TAKE KNOW SAY FLY LIKE SH*T PASS?!!!"

ERROR NUMBER 10: I will summarize your entire post with one single sentence:...................................................."I NEVER KNEW THAT PLANTS HAD SENSORY ORGANS"!!!

cc: oloruntobi4382, teensway, Seun, johnydon22, adepeter26, otemanduno, hahn, thehomer, JackBizzle, lepasharon, cloudgodess, frecocoa, CatFishBilly, Kay17, joseph1013, frank317, HardMirror, wiegraf, EvilBrain, teempakguy, Lennycool, akintom, SirWere, obinna58, jonbellion, onetrack, plaetton, ifenes, hopefulLandlord, phuckjesus666, OtemAtum,Martinez19, CAPSLOCKED, chemystery, branham paul, folykaze, pagan9ja, hanabian,plaetton, babalawos

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by hahn(m): 9:03pm On Aug 04, 2017
Let me sit back and enjoy smiley
Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by chemystery: 10:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
Niflheim:

ERROR NUMBER 9: What do you mean by the "plant knowing the diet of the rats? Is the plant a Chef at Federal Palace Hotel? It is written boldly in the article that the rodents are attracted to the sweet nectar!!! So if I suddenly shit in the cassava field and the flies gather, you will ask me, "EGBON!!! BUT HOW YOU TAKE KNOW SAY FLY LIKE SH*T PASS?!!!"

ERROR NUMBER 10: I will summarize your entire post with one single sentence:...................................................."I NEVER KNEW THAT PLANTS HAD SENSORY ORGANS"!!!

bwahahahaha.... You cracked me up with ERROR 9.

I like eating corn.

No one should tell me there is no god, else how did corn plant ffcuking knows that I love corn so much? It knows my diet mehn! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by keenn: 10:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
Niflheim:
@op,

You made a lot of erroneous assumptions in your original post!!!

ERROR NUMBER 1: You are addressing a scientific question to atheists, when you are supposed to address it to a botanist, a biologist or zoologist!!!

ERROR NUMBER 2: A rat inside a plant is not evidence of a god(unless you worship rats and pitcher plants)!!!

ERROR NUMBER 3: Who told you that the pitcher plant only has a "trigger mechanism"? Where is your evidence for this nonsense?

ERROR NUMBER 4: You claim that the design of the trap is efficient, and yet the expert that you quoted(Mc Pherson), has just explained that it can only catch some of them!!! Why would you do this?

ERROR NUMBER 5: Plants have "photoreceptors"(the same way that humans have photorceptors), and photoreceptors are a sense organ used to detect light!!! So in other words, just because plants may not be able to see in the exact same way that humans do, does not necessarily mean that they cannot see!!!

ERROR NUMBER 6: Plants may not have ears, but that does not mean that they cannot detect different vibrations, and these differences in vibration will allow them to determine the size of their prey!!!

ERROR NUMBER 7: How do plants detect("see"wink infra-red light? Have you never heard of the "phytochromes"?

ERROR NUMBER 8: So you feel that a plant needs a brain to communicte? PURE RUBBISH!!! Trees can communicate with each other by passing messages through their roots and also along underground webs of fungal growth!!!

cc: oloruntobi4382, teensway, Seun, johnydon22, adepeter26, otemanduno, hahn, thehomer, JackBizzle, lepasharon, cloudgodess, frecocoa, CatFishBilly, Kay17, joseph1013, frank317, HardMirror
, wiegraf, EvilBrain, teempakguy, Lennycool, akintom, SirWere, obinna58, jonbellion, onetrack, plaetton, ifenes, hopefulLandlord, phuckjesus666, OtemAtum,Martinez19, CAPSLOCKED, chemystery, branham paul, folykaze, pagan9ja, hanabian,plaetton, babalawos

u spoilt the fun by neutralizing a cold with a nuclear bomb.

u killed it bro, and I hate u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by Deicide: 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
hahn:
Let me sit back and enjoy smiley
Abi o us way no know Biology grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Weekly Quiz For Atheist: Week 1 by adepeter2027(m): 10:56pm On Aug 04, 2017
Person don finish the thread analytically above

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ozubulu: How Innocent Were Those Masscred?? / The Teaching Of One Man, One Wife; I Dont Understand This Portion (quotation) / Is God Easily Offended?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.