Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,222 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki (27640 Views)

JUST IN: NASS Ready To Work For Nigerians – Lawan / Imagine If Atiku Heads The Executive, Saraki Heads Legislative While Onnoghen He / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by PiQi: 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, said the National Assembly was ready to consider and pass a new Minimum Wage Bill whenever it was presented by the executive.

Saraki, who made this known when he featured in News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum in Abuja, said that the senate was aware of the need to review the current minimum wage.

He said that all the indices upon which the last minimum wage of N18, 000 was approved had changed and that there was, therefore, no need leaving the wage unchanged.

He acknowledged that the sufferings of Nigerians were glaring, and said that the national assembly was only waiting for the executive to present a bill for a wage review.

“We are in support; we are waiting for the executive. We have told them to go ahead with the idea.

“I have said it myself and the Speaker of House of Representatives said it the last time that we are fully in support. We are waiting for the executive to make a move on it.

“We are prodding the executive to do that; we have done that many times and we are still doing that.

“It is justifiable to have a new minimum wage. How will it not be if you look at the challenges the people are going through.

“More so, all the indices have changed since then, and should that be the only index that should stay the same? It is not possible,” he said.

On the inability of some state governments to pay the current minimum wage, Saraki expressed optimism that all state governors were responsible and would key into a new wage when approved.

“I am not in the state but I don’t think that any chief executive or any governor will be irresponsible not to want to provide succour for his people.

“But, we have to understand that maybe they have challenges of affordability,” he said.

On the recent request for the report of the 2014 National Conference to be sent to the senate, he said that although the move had been lauded, it should not be assumed that all Nigerians supported in.

The president of the senate said that the upper chamber had learned to approach sensitive issues at a slow pace so that all Nigerians could understand and be carried along.

According to him, the most important thing is to look at those things that unite us as Nigerians and focus on them rather that the things that divide us.

He allayed fears some of the rejected issues in the Constitution amendment process made not be redressed, saying “We will cross that bridge when we get there.

“As I said in my opening remarks when we were talking about devolution, I think we should not aggregate or rush to conclude where all Nigerians are on issues.

“I think that we should try and ensure that we get everybody’s buy-in on very major issues like this.

“I want to re-emphasise that we need to be very sensitive on how we go about addressing these issues.

“That somebody is not on my own page does not mean that the person is not somebody I can engage with or do things with,’’ Saraki said.

“As I said, I cannot kick you out of Nigeria; you cannot push me out of Nigeria; this Nigeria belongs to all of us, we have chosen, in spite of all our diversities, to be one.

“What is needed now is the political skill, in spite of those things that divide us, to be able to come together in the things that are important to make a modern country.

“There is no point having a country that will not give opportunities for its people. That is why I believe that certain powers to the state will ensure and create better opportunities for everybody.

“But, there are some that might think otherwise, and the answer is not to stampede them to say `look, this is where we are, what is wrong with you’. It is not going to bring the result; it will even set us back,” he added.

http://www.nan.ng/news/new-minimum-wage-nass-ready-waiting-executive-saraki/

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by hocalawafe: 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
lolz
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by BossOluwendy(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
This is long over due ! embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by starboy86(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
One thing is clear, both the sin-ate and the executhieves don't have Nigerians at heart, if it were to be a bill that'll benefit them now, the sin-ate will not wait for the executhieves to sign before it is passed ooo. Well God dey sha.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by dannytoe(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2017
Tell us you are waiting for the ghost to return from london.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by dlondonbadboy: 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2017
Osinbajo, howfa?

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by nextprince: 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2017
Abeg make dem approve & implement this thin na.

All these NASS members sef.

If na about some yeye allowance for una, within 3 days una don begin dey go bank.

3 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Warship: 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2017
What is Osibanjo waiting for.?

Or has he lost his voice.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by djevino(m): 3:29pm On Aug 04, 2017
trash
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by codedguy1(m): 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2017
It has reached the one that would affect other people now they are waiting for executhieves that will not present it to them.

These guys just keep deceiving the people.

nextprince:

If na about some yeye allowance for una, within 3 days una don begin dey go bank.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by nextprince: 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2017
codedguy1:
It has reached the one that would affect other people now they are waiting for executhieves that will not present it to them.

These guys just keep deceiving the people.

I dey tell you o!

They are all bunch of thieves playing on their fathers' intelligence.

9 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Agimor(m): 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
Implementation is the issue here. Most states governors can't even pay the 18k minimum wage up to date let alone 56k which they would see as an herculean task.

9 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by MaziOmenuko: 4:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
So in this particular bill, he is awaiting the consent of the FG? While he keeps telling everyone that the constitution amendment doesn't need the consent of the presidency; imagine the hypocrisy! He wants to give himself and his cronies at the senate immunity via constitution amendment without the consent of the FG but when it gets to minimum wage, he remembers FG needs to give consent.

Penny wise.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Integrityfarms(m): 4:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
So where is Buhari to listen to this
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by BlackMbakara1(m): 4:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
He should go ahead, he doesn't need the executive to handle this after-all they are representing the people...

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Maydfourth: 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
Ok
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Rick9(m): 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
No comments
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Data75: 6:07pm On Aug 04, 2017
don't mind him jare
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Travelking: 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2017
This country need GOD at this time
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by rozayx5(m): 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
lipsrsealed

long over due

the way 50k disappears from me within days, i wonder what salary earners have to pass through

shocked

2 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by omenka(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2017
These people just keep skirting around the real problems.

What a shame.

The problem isn't the minimum wage but you people's salaries in terms of percentage current minimum wage.

These thieves try as much as possible to maintain a yawning gap between themselves and the average citizen per resources, in order to keep the citizens subservient to them.

They understand without that gap, there would be no willing hands for them to hire to perpetrate their evil acts than their children, which isn't an option!

Watch them ask for a thousand percent rise in their own take home if this eventually gets the nod of the executive.

3 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by TunnyOgunnowo(m): 6:11pm On Aug 04, 2017

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by dozymars(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2017
I won't be suprise if they increase theirs as well.

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by nairaman66(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2017
THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE OF N56,000 SHOULD APPLY TO NASS!! LETS SEE IF NIGERIA WOULD NOT MOVE FORWARD IN ALL ITS GOALS!! NASS ARE THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA..

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Abfinest007(m): 6:14pm On Aug 04, 2017
will d Senate still renew their own salary bcus they are collecting huge salaries
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by amoduganja: 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
its time
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by ifeanyija(m): 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
Agimor:
Implementation is the issue here. Most states governors can't even pay the 18k minimum wage up to date let alone 56k which they would see as an herculean task.
who told you there is no money in nigeria, do u knw hw much those governors steal?
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by TaiwoOlaniyi(m): 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2017
Sàràkí always finds an excuse.... grin
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 6:16pm On Aug 04, 2017
new minimum wage... do we hv new means of revenue ? states are still owning 9 months salary...

3 Likes

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by seunny4lif(m): 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
Make dem do am fast fast ooooooh
We need it now
18K too small now
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by eph12(m): 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
nextprince:
Abeg make dem approve & implement this thin na.

All these NASS members sef.

This guy ehn! Has the FG sent it to NASS?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Killed As Herdsmen Attack Amotekun Corps, Vigilantes In Oyo / We Will Kill More Voters - Unknown Gunmen Send New Threat Message / 40% Universities IGR : Onoh Lauds Obi Over Comment On Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.