Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki (27651 Views)

JUST IN: NASS Ready To Work For Nigerians – Lawan / Imagine If Atiku Heads The Executive, Saraki Heads Legislative While Onnoghen He / New Minimum Wage: FG Announces Decision On Workers’ Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by 989900: 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2017
Minimum wage increase is a double-edged sword.

We are in a catch-22 here.

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by eph12(m): 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2017
omenka:
These people just keep skirting around the real problems.

What a shame.

The problem isn't the minimum wage but you people's salaries in terms of percentage current minimum wage.

These thieves try as much as possible to maintain a yawning gap between themselves and the average citizen per resources, in order to keep the citizens subservient to them.

They understand without that gap, there would be no willing hands for them to hire to perpetrate their evil acts than their children, which isn't an option!

Watch them ask for a thousand percent rise in their own take home if this eventually gets the nod of the executive.
So in summary the minimum wage should not be reviewed?
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by bidex(m): 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2017
Hurry implement abeg. Cost of comodities has risen but wait oo. Why waiting for executives again? Make una take time ooo
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Pavarottii(m): 6:19pm On Aug 04, 2017
nextprince:
Abeg make dem approve & implement this thin na.

All these NASS members sef.

If na about some yeye allowance for una, within 3 days una don begin dey go bank.
did u even read d post?
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by eph12(m): 6:21pm On Aug 04, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
So in this particular bill, he is awaiting the consent of the FG? While he keeps telling everyone that the constitution amendment doesn't need the consent of the presidency; imagine the hypocrisy! He wants to give himself and his cronies at the senate immunity via constitution amendment without the consent of the FG but when it gets to minimum wage, he remembers FG needs to give consent.

Penny wise.
If you read that interview you will see that it was his own personal opinion on how it is supposed to be and not an interpretation of the law or Constitution. They are two different things.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Pavarottii(m): 6:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
codedguy1:
It has reached the one that would affect other people now they are waiting for executhieves that will not present it to them.

These guys just keep deceiving the people.

Minimum wage is presented by the executive anywhere in the world. And who told u it won't benefit dem. They might gupple 40million a month,(senator) pay. If it is increased. The minimum wage affects everybody under the fg payment role.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by eagleeye2: 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2017
Will it stop Rotimi Amaechi from learning on the job with $39 million?
Our mumu don ripe.
"why-lost-39-million-rivers" Rotimi Amaechi.
Look for this thread on politics section.
Since MODs have refused to push it to the front page, I take it upon myself (before my ban) to advertise it free of charge.
https://www.nairaland.com/3964080/why-lost-39-million-rivers/1#59149122

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Pavarottii(m): 6:26pm On Aug 04, 2017
dozymars:
I won't be suprise if they increase theirs as well.
Increase in all fg payroll is sacrosanct. So theirs will surely be increased. It cuts across.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Tonymegabush1(m): 6:26pm On Aug 04, 2017
18k per month shocked thatz too bad if only they care about us but in reality no body really cares.........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Meritocracy: 6:29pm On Aug 04, 2017
You're waiting cos it's executives that will carry the payments and not your business, this man always causing problems for executives to remain relevant as if he's a good man.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by omenka(m): 6:30pm On Aug 04, 2017
eph12:

So in summary the minimum wage should not be reviewed?
In summary, the insatiable crooks should also look at the downward review of their abominable take home and not use this as a reason to request a rise in the days ahead.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by ceejay80s(m): 6:34pm On Aug 04, 2017
from 18k to how much ? make dem tell us na
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by omohayek: 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2017
The economic illiteracy on display here is just staggering! I can understand why public sector workers would be jubilant at news like this, but why is everyone else celebrating the impending worsening of a problem that has already done so much damage to Nigeria's development? Do all of you really imagine that the primary purpose of government should be to hire huge numbers of workers to do very little, and then to spend most of its income paying salaries to them, even at the cost of taking loans abroad? Because that is what the situation currently is. Nigeria simply can't afford a uniform N18,000 minimum wage, let alone to raise it to N56,000.

If all you want or expect from government is handouts to hundreds of thousands of underemployed and under-qualified "workers", then by all means cheer on this bit of populist idiocy by Saraki and company. If you expect a government to actually be able to deliver amenities like decent roads, airports, hospitals, universities and so forth, then you have nothing to celebrate here, because there is already almost nothing left over for development at either the state or federal levels after the various governments are done settling their wage arrears: even Fashola's "huge" $1billion infrastructure budget last year was less than London spent refurbishing on a single underground station, and yet people are shocked that he wasn't able to repair every road with such a paltry amount, but guess what? That's what you have to make do with when recurrent expenditure in the form of salaries eats up 70% of your budget.

This measure will only guarantee the bankruptcy of both the federal and the state governments, most of the latter of which are already teetering on the edge of insolvency.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by xremmy(m): 6:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
LIST OF MINIMUM WAGES BY COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD.
1. Nigeria - $38 (N18,000).
2. Algeria - $175 (N83,000).
3. Belgium - $1,738 (N810,000).
4. Cameroun - 36, 270CFA ($75) N38,000.
5. Chad - $120 (N60,000).
6. Denmark - $1,820 (N900,000).
7. Libya - $430 (N190,000).
8. Japan - $1000 (N450,000).
9. Cote D'ivoire -36,607CFA $72.
10. New Zealand -$3,187 (N1.4m).
11. Luxemburg - $2,500 (N1.1m).
12. Spain - $760. (N300,000).
13. Switzerland - $5,620 - N2.5m.
14. USA - $11 per hour.
Ironically, Nigeria politicians earn the highest salaries the whole world. In Luxemburg where minimum wage is $2,500, their lawmakers are paid $7,400. In Libya where minimum wage is $430, law-makers earn $3000. In Nigeria where minimum wage is $38 (N18,000), law-makers earn $65,000 (N29m).
How long will this continue

1 Like

Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Raxxye(m): 6:43pm On Aug 04, 2017
You are waiting for the executive now that it's meant to directly affect the populace. If it was your bogus allowances in the National Assembly, it would long have been implemented. Nincompoo.p!
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Missonas(f): 6:54pm On Aug 04, 2017
Long story. Slash ur salaries, reduce the soul called representatives and unnecessary government portfolios then we can talk about minimum wage. Start decongesting from the top
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by altim8(m): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2017
In Seriake Dickson's voice..."useless people...come force us to pay... We are even paying one and a half month salary out of the six months from Paris fund...Try nonsense we will be paying 1/4th every 2 months... Recession is the best thing that has happened 2 Nigeria...bayelsa is in my pocket.''
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by codedguy1(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2017
Pavarottii:

Minimum wage is presented by the executive anywhere in the world. And who told u it won't benefit dem. They might gupple 40million a month,(senator) pay. If it is increased. The minimum wage affects everybody under the fg payment role.

Fair enough, my point is when something is to benefit the masses they foot drag about it. Both executhieves and legislooters.

They are already comfortable with what they earn, but the ordinary man out there that would be looking forward to the increasment will wait until he is almost dead before anything would be passed.

These guys already earn above a living wage while people are earning 18k that some senators use to polish their shoes weekly.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by nkemdi89(f): 7:10pm On Aug 04, 2017
Our big men won't lobby for that one now, but if it peace corps they will.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Napgang(m): 7:14pm On Aug 04, 2017
PiQi:
The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, said the National Assembly was ready to consider and pass a new Minimum Wage Bill whenever it was presented by the executive.

Saraki, who made this known when he featured in News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum in Abuja, said that the senate was aware of the need to review the current minimum wage.

He said that all the indices upon which the last minimum wage of N18, 000 was approved had changed and that there was, therefore, no need leaving the wage unchanged.

He acknowledged that the sufferings of Nigerians were glaring, and said that the national assembly was only waiting for the executive to present a bill for a wage review.

“We are in support; we are waiting for the executive. We have told them to go ahead with the idea.

“I have said it myself and the Speaker of House of Representatives said it the last time that we are fully in support. We are waiting for the executive to make a move on it.

“We are prodding the executive to do that; we have done that many times and we are still doing that.

“It is justifiable to have a new minimum wage. How will it not be if you look at the challenges the people are going through.

“More so, all the indices have changed since then, and should that be the only index that should stay the same? It is not possible,” he said.

On the inability of some state governments to pay the current minimum wage, Saraki expressed optimism that all state governors were responsible and would key into a new wage when approved.

“I am not in the state but I don’t think that any chief executive or any governor will be irresponsible not to want to provide succour for his people.

“But, we have to understand that maybe they have challenges of affordability,” he said.

On the recent request for the report of the 2014 National Conference to be sent to the senate, he said that although the move had been lauded, it should not be assumed that all Nigerians supported in.

The president of the senate said that the upper chamber had learned to approach sensitive issues at a slow pace so that all Nigerians could understand and be carried along.

According to him, the most important thing is to look at those things that unite us as Nigerians and focus on them rather that the things that divide us.

He allayed fears some of the rejected issues in the Constitution amendment process made not be redressed, saying “We will cross that bridge when we get there.

“As I said in my opening remarks when we were talking about devolution, I think we should not aggregate or rush to conclude where all Nigerians are on issues.

“I think that we should try and ensure that we get everybody’s buy-in on very major issues like this.

“I want to re-emphasise that we need to be very sensitive on how we go about addressing these issues.

“That somebody is not on my own page does not mean that the person is not somebody I can engage with or do things with,’’ Saraki said.

“As I said, I cannot kick you out of Nigeria; you cannot push me out of Nigeria; this Nigeria belongs to all of us, we have chosen, in spite of all our diversities, to be one.

“What is needed now is the political skill, in spite of those things that divide us, to be able to come together in the things that are important to make a modern country.

“There is no point having a country that will not give opportunities for its people. That is why I believe that certain powers to the state will ensure and create better opportunities for everybody.

“But, there are some that might think otherwise, and the answer is not to stampede them to say `look, this is where we are, what is wrong with you’. It is not going to bring the result; it will even set us back,” he added.

http://www.nan.ng/news/new-minimum-wage-nass-ready-waiting-executive-saraki/
grin
PiQi:
The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, said the National Assembly was ready to consider and pass a new Minimum Wage Bill whenever it was presented by the executive.

Saraki, who made this known when he featured in News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum in Abuja, said that the senate was aware of the need to review the current minimum wage.

He said that all the indices upon which the last minimum wage of N18, 000 was approved had changed and that there was, therefore, no need leaving the wage unchanged.

He acknowledged that the sufferings of Nigerians were glaring, and said that the national assembly was only waiting for the executive to present a bill for a wage review.

“We are in support; we are waiting for the executive. We have told them to go ahead with the idea.

“I have said it myself and the Speaker of House of Representatives said it the last time that we are fully in support. We are waiting for the executive to make a move on it.

“We are prodding the executive to do that; we have done that many times and we are still doing that.

“It is justifiable to have a new minimum wage. How will it not be if you look at the challenges the people are going through.

“More so, all the indices have changed since then, and should that be the only index that should stay the same? It is not possible,” he said.

On the inability of some state governments to pay the current minimum wage, Saraki expressed optimism that all state governors were responsible and would key into a new wage when approved.

“I am not in the state but I don’t think that any chief executive or any governor will be irresponsible not to want to provide succour for his people.

“But, we have to understand that maybe they have challenges of affordability,” he said.

On the recent request for the report of the 2014 National Conference to be sent to the senate, he said that although the move had been lauded, it should not be assumed that all Nigerians supported in.

The president of the senate said that the upper chamber had learned to approach sensitive issues at a slow pace so that all Nigerians could understand and be carried along.

According to him, the most important thing is to look at those things that unite us as Nigerians and focus on them rather that the things that divide us.

He allayed fears some of the rejected issues in the Constitution amendment process made not be redressed, saying “We will cross that bridge when we get there.

“As I said in my opening remarks when we were talking about devolution, I think we should not aggregate or rush to conclude where all Nigerians are on issues.

“I think that we should try and ensure that we get everybody’s buy-in on very major issues like this.

“I want to re-emphasise that we need to be very sensitive on how we go about addressing these issues.

“That somebody is not on my own page does not mean that the person is not somebody I can engage with or do things with,’’ Saraki said.

“As I said, I cannot kick you out of Nigeria; you cannot push me out of Nigeria; this Nigeria belongs to all of us, we have chosen, in spite of all our diversities, to be one.

“What is needed now is the political skill, in spite of those things that divide us, to be able to come together in the things that are important to make a modern country.

“There is no point having a country that will not give opportunities for its people. That is why I believe that certain powers to the state will ensure and create better opportunities for everybody.

“But, there are some that might think otherwise, and the answer is not to stampede them to say `look, this is where we are, what is wrong with you’. It is not going to bring the result; it will even set us back,” he added.

http://www.nan.ng/news/new-minimum-wage-nass-ready-waiting-executive-saraki/
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by codedguy1(m): 7:19pm On Aug 04, 2017
omohayek:
The economic illiteracy on display here is just staggering! I can understand why public sector workers would be jubilant at news like this, but why is everyone else celebrating the impending worsening of a problem that has already done so much damage to Nigeria's development? Do all of you really imagine that the primary purpose of government should be to hire huge numbers of workers to do very little, and then to spend most of its income paying salaries to them, even at the cost of taking loans abroad? Because that is what the situation currently is. Nigeria simply can't afford a uniform N18,000 minimum wage, let alone to raise it to N56,000.

If all you want or expect from government is handouts to hundreds of thousands of underemployed and under-qualified "workers", then by all means cheer on this bit of populist idiocy by Saraki and company. If you expect a government to actually be able to deliver amenities like decent roads, airports, hospitals, universities and so forth, then you have nothing to celebrate here, because there is already almost nothing left over for development at either the state or federal levels after the various governments are done settling their wage arrears: even Fashola's "huge" $1billion infrastructure budget last year was less than London spent refurbishing on a single underground station, and yet people are shocked that he wasn't able to repair every road with such a paltry amount, but guess what? That's what you have to make do with when recurrent expenditure in the form of salaries eats up 70% of your budget.

This measure will only guarantee the bankruptcy of both the federal and the state governments, most of the latter of which are already teetering on the edge of insolvency.

Agree with you. But let them demand for the increament and let the bankruptcy of the govt come.

Is that not why people are agitating for true federalism/resource control or regionalism so that regions grow at their own pace and minimum wage in one state or region would be different from some others and I dare say that if every region truly harnesses its potential that no region will pay 18k as minimum wage.

18k minimum wage is travesty while we have nass members earning humongous salaries and allowances and they Dont know that the country will be bankrupt but when minimum wage is asked to be increased that's when the economy will suffer.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by eph12(m): 7:36pm On Aug 04, 2017
omenka:
In summary, the insatiable crooks should also look at the downward review of their abominable take home and not use this as a reason to request a rise in the days ahead.
One step at a time. We have imbibed the culture of making scape goats out of the NASS. Let us deal with the minimum wage first. I'm surprised people are not putting as much energy into the criminal acts of governors. The kind of salary and allowances they receive as ex-governor is mind boggling. Why is the focus only on the senate, which makes us to reason or argue blindly
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 04, 2017
omenka:
These people just keep skirting around the real problems.

What a shame.

The problem isn't the minimum wage but you people's salaries in terms of percentage current minimum wage.

These thieves try as much as possible to maintain a yawning gap between themselves and the average citizen per resources, in order to keep the citizens subservient to them.

They understand without that gap, there would be no willing hands for them to hire to perpetrate their evil acts than their children, which isn't an option!

Watch them ask for a thousand percent rise in their own take home if this eventually gets the nod of the executive.
But in an economy, there will always be a gap between the rich and the poor.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by hibee4uall(m): 7:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
Good people of nairaland, pls help a brother to pay his law school fees.No amount is small, you can contact him on 08184941410 for more enquiries and verification . THANKS & GOD BLESS YOU

A big thanks to you people that are feeling concerned may God continue to bless you all
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by omenka(m): 7:49pm On Aug 04, 2017
Rorachy:
But in an economy, there will always be a gap between the rich and the poor.
I said "yawning" mr man.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Primenet(m): 7:50pm On Aug 04, 2017
Naija! I hail o!
But for how long and how much is the new minimum wage?
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Mekanus(m): 8:01pm On Aug 04, 2017
New minimum wage when some states like Ebonyi have not even paid the 18k for once.
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by ukandi1(m): 8:20pm On Aug 04, 2017
Agimor:
Implementation is the issue here. Most states governors can't even pay the 18k minimum wage up to date let alone 56k which they would see as an herculean task.

They are indirectly contributing to unemployment cos most states would sack their workers to be able to raise money and pay others. However I believe its overdue to have a new minimum wage.
That should not even be d real issue. D real deal is for national assembly to accept paycut , slash their pay to 1m a month. If u don't like it, go back home; ur people will send another to represent them.
They are d ones sucking d nation to poverty , creating unrest and implementing policies that further divide d nation and agitation for cessation
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by bigpicture001: 8:24pm On Aug 04, 2017
...it is not necessary inflation data shows that inflation rate is coming down
Re: New Minimum Wage: NASS Ready, Waiting For Executive – Saraki by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 04, 2017
Foolish country.....spits

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Old Picture Of Obasanjo With Bicycle / MEND: Nnamdi Kanu Accepted To Renounce Biafra In Secret / Nigerian Lawmakers Could Override Buhari If He Vetoes Peace Corps Bill – Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.