Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. (29072 Views)

Covid-19: Microbiology And Biochemistry Lecturers And Students Are Useless / Halloween Costumes Of FUNAAB Microbiology Final Year Students (Photos) / Why You Should Study Estate Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by VivaLaFrans: 7:53am On Aug 05, 2017
tachphils:
ADMISSION IS GOING ON FOR 2017/2018 ACADEMIC SESSION

STUDY IN THE PHILIPPINES WITH LOW TUITIONFEES NO JAMB, NO UTME.Seriously,why kill yourself over jamb while your mates got this information and are now studying in universities with international recognitions.Lots of countries in the world will invite you to study abroad which will be quite expensive and in most cases you've ignored,but have you ever considered the Philippines? Do you know atleast 1 out of 10 doctors in the US studied in the Philippines? Do you know south Korea sends not less than a thousand students every month to study in Philippines?Aside from the international standard of teaching,the tuition fees in the Philippines is one of the cheapest you can find around the world. Most students in Philippines pay less than$400(#125,000)per session,which means with$1600(#500,000)you can complete a 4 years degree course. Instalmental payment is allowed for tuition. The amazing part of this is you don't need to hustle for admission all you need is your secondary school statement of result(WAEC).With your WAEC result or neco resultyou can gain admission to any school and course of your choice
OFFICE ADDRESS- 14 road 2nd avenue gwarinpa, fct abuja
Abi o
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Jman06(m): 7:53am On Aug 05, 2017
MrTeymee:
Lol OP , me and you know the real story na.

The vastness of microbiology therein lies its weakness.
You're like a jack of trade, master of none. You have basic knowledge of everything but core knowledge of nothing.

In food industries, food science and tech would be favored over you
In labs, med lab scientists are above you
and d list goes on...

I'll rather you studied biochemistry than microbiology Gan sef
Like microbiology like biochemistry!

1 Like

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Toks2008(m): 7:53am On Aug 05, 2017
I studied microbiology for freaking 4years but today I am an e-commerce consultant..that's life for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by kimewills(f): 7:55am On Aug 05, 2017
MrTeymee:
Lol OP , me and you know the real story na.

The vastness of microbiology therein lies its weakness.
You're like a jack of trade, master of none. You have basic knowledge of everything but core knowledge of nothing

In food industries, food science and tech would be favored over you
In labs, med lab scientists are above you
and d list goes on...

I'll rather you studied biochemistry than microbiology Gan sef

This is really true..
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Oladipo1166(m): 8:00am On Aug 05, 2017
Bleep micro biology,

Bleep any course

#proudly chemist# #proudly educationist#
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 05, 2017
Toks2008:
I studied microbiology for freaking 4years but today I am an e-commerce consultant..that's life for you.

You took professional courses for d switch.
Because I feel that's what I really need now . switch to something else from my field
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by bennybaba(m): 8:03am On Aug 05, 2017
[ good one sirquote author=oluwamitomisin post=59164815]For example, a Microbiology student who wants to understand fully the works of Gram Christian on staining techniques will first of all understand through the study of Physics that unlike charges attract each other while like charges attract.

What's this rubbish you wrote here. Abeg ehn, you guys giving course advice should educate yourself properly first, and stop dishing out myopic thoughts around.

Don't tell me it's typographical error. No, it isn't! [/quote]
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by ogawisdom(m): 8:06am On Aug 05, 2017
Micro nonsense angry angry angry

They are second fiddle in everything even the man dt studied Zoology, Botany or pure Biology is preferred than microbiology when it comes to teaching Biology in secondary schools.

Medical laboratory scientists and food scientists/technologist plus environmental scientists ve made those that studied microbiology irrelevant
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by micflo28(m): 8:16am On Aug 05, 2017
I will give you 10,000 reasons you should economics/ accountancy. Proudly Economist.
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Arccangel(f): 8:24am On Aug 05, 2017
So you think 33k annually is pay? Haba..
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 05, 2017
Schoolguy9:

It is not surprising to find a microbiology student with vast knowledge in Biochemistry, Zoology or Parasitology. This is because most of the courses are related. For example, a Microbiology student who wants to understand fully the works of Gram Christian on staining techniques will first of all understand through the study of Physics that [s]unlike charges attract each other while like charges attract[/s] .

A microbiologist don't have vast knowledge of biochemistry.

Unlike charges attract and like charges repels.

1 Like

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by marvelling(m): 8:37am On Aug 05, 2017
I will never allow any of my children study microbiology! angry
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by arinzos(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2017
microbiology is good but Nigeria labour market is congested.my own piece of advice is to try and get some skills while in school in order to avoid stories.most of my friends in MCB and BCH are not really hoping to kill themselves in MCB/BCH fields that cannot absorb up to 5% of her graduates.they are acquiring other skills to fit in anywhere opportunity arises.

1 Like

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 05, 2017
Microbiologists don't get jobs in this country. I studied microbiology, I don't know whether I should regret it or not.

But I believe I can get job any where with my skills in social media, computer/internet and real estate consultancy.

For now I make money online.
Graduated since 2013 and I have never submitted CV to search for jobs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Xantosdamy(m): 10:08am On Aug 05, 2017
mcb in Nigeria has no future, let be factual
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by enomakos(m): 10:30am On Aug 05, 2017
man and microbe
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 05, 2017
Toks2008:
hope it's fulfilling, how did you divert?
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 05, 2017
mazinoweb:
Microbiologists don't get jobs in this country. I studied microbiology, I don't know whether I should regret it or not.

But I believe I can get job any where with my skills in social media, computer/internet and real estate consultancy.

For now I make money online.
Graduated since 2013 and I have never submitted CV to search for jobs.

how do you make money online bro ?
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by bamdexfarms(m): 10:47am On Aug 05, 2017
You mean MCB where schools don't even have electron microscopes? Half of my MCB friends now work in Banks!!!
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Toks2008(m): 11:02am On Aug 05, 2017
AceIDE:
hope it's fulfilling, how did you divert?

It was a case of square peg in a round hole.

I realized I had passion for entrepreneurship during my NYSC days as I just hated the sight of a microscope but would jump on anything I could market...so I never really switched but a case of wrong choice of course but it's a great course though as you can delve into many areas and easily set up a great medical diagnostic center.
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Adeebiwa09(m): 11:19am On Aug 05, 2017
Schoolguy9:

Microbiology is an emerging broad discipline that not so many people have regarded relevant due to the the little knowledge that we have of it. Microbiology is a rapidly evolving field with new discoveries being made everyday, researches whose results help to better the lots of mankind are also being carried out. Here are the top ten reasons why a student should study Microbiology in the university.
To Gain Knowledge
Microbiology is an emerging broad field of study. Though it is seen as just the study of microorganisms and their impart on the environment, it also finds wide applications in major areas as human health, industries, food management, water treatment, soil and agriculture, bioremediation etc. Gaining the knowledge of Microbiology is a huge asset that can translate into monetary gain in the future if properly applied.

For satisfaction.
One of the main reasons why people establish businesses is to make profit. Another is to earn satisfaction. They study of Microbiology is not, to an extent, too different from these. There are a lot of people who yearn for knowledge irrespective of monetary gain though we know that that would come in too. If gaining knowledge of the effects and the applicable uses of most if not all of the invisible organisms that have impart on man and his environment is what you seek, then Microbiology will satisfy you.
Recognition.
Some courses studied in the universities are not widely recognized. This is because some of them are begun by a particular department in a particular university somewhere without them being globally recognized. Take for example, if a university in Hong Kong decides to carve out a discipline from the body of existing ones in order to meet a particular need or supplement an existing one, such a course may be vibrant and existing there but when you move out of the region and say, come to Nigeria, you may be surprised not to hear anything about such a course here. In essence, there are some courses that are not yet widely recognized but they are in existence. Microbiology today is evolving. Go to Japan or China you will get to know the same thing.
Relatedness of Microbiology to other courses.
Microbiology is not an isolated course in the world of science. It is not surprising to find a microbiology student with vast knowledge in Biochemistry, Zoology or Parasitology. This is because most of the courses are related. For example, a Microbiology student who wants to understand fully the works of Gram Christian on staining techniques will first of all understand through the study of Physics that unlike charges attract each other while like charges attract. This is the basic principle of Gram staining technique which is an indispensable procedure that tends classify organisms into either Gram positive or Gram negative depending on the reaction between a dye and the nature of the microorganism's cell wall. Microbiology is also interchangeable with other related courses where it is absolutely necessary.

Specialization.
Microbiology is an emerging broad field. Though it is mainly seen as the study of microorganism which have an impart on man and his environment, Microbiology finds wide application in major areas that has to do with man and the environment. Some of these areas include Agriculture, Recycling, bioremediation, industrial, food, medical microbiology etc. All of these fields create areas of specialization for professionals and Doctorate degree holders in the field of Microbiology. One can study Microbiology and be good in what one does but finding a particular field to specialize in avails one the opportunity to dig deeper into the knowledge that can be applied to more specific situations.
Accreditation.
Microbiology, as it's widely recognized is accredited in most universities in Nigeria and it is even offered as an option in Science Laboratory Technology (ie, SLT) in most polytechnics. The field of Microbiology does not require such requirements as 77 Doctors of Philosophy, 68 post graduate lecturers or Professors before it can be accreditated for study in the university. All it asks for is a conducive environment and the right tutors. Microbiology is widely accredited in the universities and most polytechnics e.g Nnamdi Azikiwe University, NAU, Awka and Federal Polytechnic, Oko.

Competitiveness.
Due to its wide accreditation, Microbiology finds a lower entrance competition compared to other science courses. An applicant who wants to study of Microbiology in the university must have good grades to facilitate his or her admission. Though Microbiology is not hugely competitive, it is the best thing to stay on the safer side by having good grades such as JAMB score and West African Examination Council (WAEC) grade in relevant subjects.

Job Availability.
Job openings in the field of Microbiology are enormous. One who studied Microbiology can find career options in environmental microbiology, quality control personnel, water and sewage treatment, medical microbiology, research assistance, teaching, sales representative of science related companies and as well as agricultural procedures. A degree in Microbiology can qualify one for of these job opportunities.

Innovative.
Microbiology is evolving, so are its uses. The study of Microbiology avails one the opportunity to 'think out of the box' and come up with reasonable theories that can be tested, experimented on and research analysis given with the sole aim of solving one of our numerous problems. The study of Microbiology is an opportunity as well as an invitation for one to step into the endless possibilities of discoveries. Microorganism for many of their beneficial uses are engineered to produce desirable traits and results. Care has to be taken to make sure the right results are obtained. You can think of anything you can do with a degree in Microbiology.
Pay.
According to Payscale.com, Microbiologists earn up to 33,000 USD annually in the United States of America. A Microbiologist's salary depends largely on the area of specialization and the area of work the person is partaking in. Top paying areas are mostly industrial productions, quality controls and administrative purposes. You can find out how much they earn in Nigeria by doing a little research online.

Bonus.
Course Duration.
The minimum duration of the study of Microbiology in the university is just 4 years. This is largely preferable compared to other courses as engineering which takes up to 5 years.

Source: http://schoolpulse..co.ke/2017/08/see-top-10-reasons-why-you-shiuld-study.html?m
and come up with reasonable theories that can be tested, experimented on and research analysis given with the sole aim of solving one of our numerous problems. The study of Microbiology is an opportunity as well as an invitation for one to step into the endless possibilities of discoveries. Microorganism for many of their beneficial uses are engineered to produce desirable traits and results. Care has to be taken to make sure the right results are obtained. You can think of anything you can do with a degree in Microbiology.
Pay.
According to Payscale.com, Microbiologists earn up to 33,000 USD annually in the United States of America. A Microbiologist

Oga wehdon but that 4 is not true especially for microbiologist they don't even know much not to talk of vast knowledge. However I love the course, didn't study though prefer my BCH
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by cornel9297: 11:20am On Aug 05, 2017
I usually advise students to seek mentorship of great entrepreneurs while in Schools because many Nigerian graduates are either jobless or lack job satisfaction.

1 Like

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by komols856: 11:42am On Aug 05, 2017
[quote author=FakoMaybach1 post=59164783][/quote]
come to federal institute of industrial research oshodi in lagos to join association of industrial microbiologist of Nigeria. ask of Dr joy in biotechnology section
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by kissval1388: 11:52am On Aug 05, 2017
proudly microbiologist.....

we are different from others cus we are well cultured.....

Ain't regretting any shit .. all you need in life is grace to succeed...

I know microbiologist dat are billionaires in there field.
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by davidmason(m): 12:51pm On Aug 05, 2017
Jman06:
The truth is that there are no jobs for microbiologists in Nigeria.

[color=#990000][/color] SECONDED.. what a facking country

1 Like

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by tomtech12(m): 12:56pm On Aug 05, 2017
I chose to study microbiology for Direct Entry... u guys are discouraging me... what should I do now.... na WA ooo.. God pls favour me...
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by Papadoh(m): 1:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
KendrickAyomide:
Why not give me 10 reasons why i should play Football?
You only need one...

2 Likes

Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by younglord11: 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2017
dnt b discouraged bro
... Microbiology is always d best, those pple saying shit most of dem still dey secondary skul.... proudly a microbiologist
Re: See The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Study Microbiology In The University. by gabe: 1:13pm On Aug 05, 2017
Whatever you do, please don't listen to the OP's advice. Microbiology=joblessness in Nigeria. Better to learn tailoring,baking, mechanic etc than study microbiology in Nigeria. You can relocate to the US , study and work there tho.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nans President:we Are Ready To Shut Down Federal Roads / Disclaimer! The Miraculous FUTO Owerri Water Actually Came From Broken Pipeline! / Imo State University Imsu Admission First List Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.