Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. (40032 Views)

Using ATM: 3 Lessons I Learned At The ATM Spot This Morning / Lady Shares Her Experience At The ATM Which Had More Than 20 Guys / Two Men Pose With The Money They Are About To Cash Out At The ATM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dodoyemi: 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
I work as an ATM Technician in Toronto and some of your points are flawed.
dingbang:
there is a word "might"...

You failed to see that

And also in point number 2, you failed to see the "some ATM's are manufactured to hold cards that have insufficient balance.. Benita.. What's wrong?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2017
KINGTELLER:

I don't think they loose much... such occurance (overpayment) happens one in a million transactions

Hmmmm I guess you're right. Since you mentioned that this is your domain.
However in this case, I think they probably lost more than the $50 dollars bill the ATM gave me as extra.
Cos when I got home and tried to check out the money. They were kinda stuck to each other. So I was thinking the $50 bill came out with another.

Also, I overheard the guy asking another person to meet the team in charge to check how much was lost for that day. (I guess just to be sure that money was lost in the first place) And with that, I guess it would be something that often occurs. Maybe not all the time like you mentioned, but once in a while.

Also the lady on Twitter handle told me that this often happens and whenever it does, the ATM does it's daily calculation itself and when it checks that it lost an amount it goes back to revealuate and charges the account that was over credited. I was like yinmu grin (I'm guessing she said this so I dont change my mind about it. lol) But after waiting 3 days and no charges, I just went in to return it.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2017
gradeA:

hehehe oya aunty tell me the truth, it's just us, did you really return that money?

lol. Uncle I did. What would I benefit from lying?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 5:54pm On Aug 06, 2017
dodoyemi:
I work as an ATM Technician in Toronto and some of your points are flawed.
typical.. I thought I spelt it out clear for those who are professionals in the industry to give us reasons why ATM cards can be swallowed so that we can learn....

You forgot to read that part?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 6:00pm On Aug 06, 2017
Peacefullove:

I must commend your honesty. Few people do that, no amount of cash can buy the RESPECT and DIGNITY you have won yourself in the eyes of all those who saw you when you returned it . Nothing beats that, Cos we humans are water, we just dont know where we are. going to meet again

Thank you smiley
Hmmmmm! You're right about that. We are indeed like water.
I dint even want it pronounced, but when the guys kept saying Thank you for your Honesty and all. Everyone noticed, and I felt embarassed. lol.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by poseidon12: 6:10pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:
Let me share.

2 weeks ago, ATM overpaid me. grin I chatted their Twitter team up, and the lady was surprised. So according to her advise, I waited for about 3 days to see if I was going to be debited. (I knew I wasn't gonna be debited, cos it's possible the bills came out stuck to each other)

So I went back to the bank to return the money, and the guy was just looking at me like this shocked shocked He was like, this is rare. He had to go call someone to help him out, on how to handle the return. I was just laughing cheesy cheesy In my mind, I said "Mi kin je nkan, oni nkan, molu temi"

Very nice of you. Way to go. God will reward you for your honesty.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 6:17pm On Aug 06, 2017
IdeyFindWife:

Wow, beautiful chick with a beautiful soul.
Many would have spent the money and given testimony later.

Can't make much of the Yoruba but I get the drift.

lol. Thank you.
I meant "I dont eat/take someone's stuff to be a part of mine. No matter how little.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 6:19pm On Aug 06, 2017
poseidon12:

Very nice of you. Way to go. God will reward you for your honesty.

Amen!!! Thank you!
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dodoyemi: 6:38pm On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
typical.. I thought I spelt it out clear for those who are professionals in the industry to give us reasons why ATM cards can be swallowed so that we can learn....

You forgot to read that part?

Relax, don't come at me guns blazing. Next time do a thorough research before you post information like these especially if youre not versed in the subject matter.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Peacefullove: 8:51pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:

Thank you smiley
Hmmmmm! You're right about that. We are indeed like water.
I dint even want it pronounced, but when the guys kept saying Thank you for your Honesty and all. Everyone noticed, and I felt embarassed. lol.

He was both shocked and surprised. Imagine coming across diamond in the least expected places, It would be a total suprise . that is what it means to meet honest people in the deeply corrupted society we are living.

keep it up, I admire people like You

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by IdeyFindWife: 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:

lol. Thank you.
I meant "I dont eat/take someone's stuff to be a part of mine. No matter how little.
Ohhh, nice one! And it's really much needed in today's world and even in this Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by KINGTELLER: 10:05pm On Aug 06, 2017
VickyRotex:

Hmmmm I guess you're right. Since you mentioned that this is your domain.
However in this case, I think they probably lost more than the $50 dollars bill the ATM gave me as extra.
Cos when I got home and tried to check out the money. They were kinda stuck to each other. So I was thinking the $50 bill came out with another.

Also, I overheard the guy asking another person to meet the team in charge to check how much was lost for that day. (I guess just to be sure that money was lost in the first place) And with that, I guess it would be something that often occurs. Maybe not all the time like you mentioned, but once in a while.

Also the lady on Twitter handle told me that this often happens and whenever it does, the ATM does it's daily calculation itself and when it checks that it lost an amount it goes back to revealuate and charges the account that was over credited. I was like yinmu grin (I'm guessing she said this so I dont change my mind about it. lol) But after waiting 3 days and no charges, I just went in to return it.

Lol... ATM doesn't do auto debit of account for overpayment except if the ATM does the overpayment calculation itself during payment.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by poweredcom(m): 10:09pm On Aug 06, 2017
AYM swallow machine I go break d machine
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Tinyemeka(m): 10:51pm On Aug 06, 2017
dingbang:
A handful of us have been victims of our ATM cards being seized by the Automated Teller machine and when this happens, it leaves us devastated. Have we been curious to really know the reason why this is so? This thread will try to give us highlights of some possible causes and enlighten us to properly use the ATM when next we visit.

(I highlighted some words for those who are ITKs. They won't read in between lines but jump into conclusion).

I would also call on Professionals in the banking sector to add to these points being highlighted so that we too can learn. Before I will start, let's have a brief Introduction about the ATM. Some of the points were culled from blogs.

An ATM (Automated Teller Machine) which is also called by some other names like ABM (Automated Banking Machine), Cash Machine or Cash Point is a self-help electronic banking device which is networked with financial institutions and performs financial transactions for clients. Modern ATMs can perform a variety of functions including cash withdrawal, cash transfer, cash deposit, utility bills payment, balance inquiry, obtaining the bank statement etc. Despite of all the advantages, ATM cards, Debit cards or Credit cards which are used at ATMs may get swallowed by the machine. There could be several possible reasons for this trouble which I have discussed below.

1- Inserting the card wrongly

There is a way to insert the card in ATM. You can find an arrow on one side of the card which indicates in which direction you have to push it into the card inlet of ATM. But if you do not do that way, ATM might fail to read your card and swallow it instead of returning it.

2- Having no balance or insufficient balance in account

Some ATMs are configured to hold your debit card or ATM card if you have no balance or insufficient balance in your bank account. That is an unfair policy to hold your card for that reason but it’s happening.

3- Using a faulty or broken card

Every card has the name of account holder written on it in plus a magnetic strip on the back which carries necessary details which is machine readable only. If for some reason the name or magnetic strip fades away, the ATM will not be able to read the card and might hold it. Same is true in case of using broken or bent card. It might get stuck inside.

4- Using a card in wrong ATM

An ATM is configured to support certain services like Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Maestro, American Express etc. If you insert a card into such an ATM which does not display the logo of your service, your card might be eaten by the machine.

5- Using an expired card

This is a big issue about which people do not care. If the card has crossed the expiry date, the card becomes useless. Putting that into the cash machine might get swallowed by it.

6- Using the blocked card

If you lost your card, blocked it and later recovered it but didn’t unblock it or your card was blocked by the provider due to the violation of any term, using such blocked card will alert the ATM and it will simply eat up your card.

7- Use of reported card

A stolen card must be reported immediately. Such cards become useless even if you recover them. Using such cards will result into alerting the cash machine and holding your card.

8- Out of order ATM

This is one of the biggest issue which can create troubles for users. An out of order machine can swallow your card instead of returning it. The major cause for this problem could be the failure of any mechanical or electronic part inside the machine.

9- Entering PIN erroneously several times

When you use your card at an ATM, you have to enter the PIN before proceeding to services menu page. If you have forgotten the actual PIN and enter it erroneously several times, ATM will hold your card considering it a stolen card or a theft attempt. Sometimes, mistakenly entering wrong PIN more than once can result into the same.

From your list, only points 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 are possible reasons for the card to be retained. As for the other points, the card'll be ejected.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by intrepidjay1(m): 11:23pm On Aug 06, 2017
let us not be surprised if Benita27 ends up marrying Nwaaikpe
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by intrepidjay1(m): 11:24pm On Aug 06, 2017
Benita27:
I think points 1&2 isn't true.

1. The card is supposed to be inserted from the side that has the black arrow but when one mistakenly try the other side the machine rejects the card instantly.

2. I've used machines where I had insufficient balance but rather I was notified I couldn't carry on the transaction, and my card was rejected. The only reason I know the ATM holds back the card is when the password is entered wrongly more than once.

let us not be surprised if Benita27 ends up marrying Nwaaikpe
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by intrepidjay1(m): 11:27pm On Aug 06, 2017
Martin0:

Eh eh ok ooo,grin
As u dey attend to make sure say u dey register me into any goodies ooogrin

sense fall on you
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 2:24am On Aug 07, 2017
Peacefullove:

He was both shocked and surprised. Imagine coming across diamond in the least expected places, It would be a total suprise . that is what it means to meet honest people in the deeply corrupted society we are living.

keep it up, I admire people like You

Awwwnnn! Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated! smiley May God grant us more grace to continually make a difference. Amen!
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 2:25am On Aug 07, 2017
IdeyFindWife:

Ohhh, nice one! And it's really much needed in today's world and even in this Nigeria!

Yes, it is! Thank you! smiley
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 2:27am On Aug 07, 2017
KINGTELLER:

Lol... ATM doesn't do auto debit of account for overpayment except if the ATM does the overpayment calculation itself during payment.

Hahahaha abi! I thought as much!
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Trillyonaire: 4:00am On Aug 07, 2017
It Swallows because it's hungry
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Martin0(m): 5:04am On Aug 07, 2017
intrepidjay1:

sense fall on you
M.Y.B
I wonder what might have intrested you into quoting me..
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Ramaa(m): 6:06am On Aug 07, 2017
11. Delaying taking your card from that hole......

Am a victim of these scenarios.....
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by snowblaq(f): 8:25am On Aug 07, 2017
StRichard:
Don't you know there are faulty automated teller machines that swallow card without any reason.

Refer back to number 8.
Its good to read before commenting so you don't seem weird.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by OfficialSam(m): 4:34pm On Aug 08, 2017
Op, nice article. But u have to modify ur caption to '9 reasons why ATM cards get trapped in ATM machines'. ATM machines are nt humans or animals and so cnt swallow. Don't personify it.
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by Peacefullove: 9:59am On Aug 09, 2017
VickyRotex:

Awwwnnn! Thank you for the kind words. Very much appreciated! smiley May God grant us more grace to continually make a difference. Amen!

the Almighty God own all thanks, I like that point
" continually make a difference " . more like don't follow the crowd to Do something unethical

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by VickyRotex(f): 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2017
Peacefullove:

the Almighty God own all thanks, I like that point
" continually make a difference " . more like don't follow the crowd to Do something unethical

Thank you! cool
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by remi1444: 11:54am On Aug 11, 2017
dingbang, i went for reactivation of my dormant account , how do i know if the account has become active?
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by dingbang(m): 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2017
remi1444:
dingbang, i went for reactivation of my dormant account , how do i know if the account has become active?
pay in money to your account...

What bank please
Re: 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. by remi1444: 10:02pm On Aug 11, 2017
dingbang:
pay in money to your account...

What bank please
i did, the account has fund, FIRST BANK savings account.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Price Of A Young Calf? And More Info About Cattle Farming In Nigeria please / Why Naira Will Continue To Appreciate / Coke, Fanta Prices To Increase As FG Imposes N10/litre Excise Duty On Carbonated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.