Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,063 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon (21602 Views)

Buhari's Reaction To Biafra Agitation: A History Of Hate Against Ndigbo / Fani-kayode’s Intellectual Fraud Against Ndigbo / Protest: Ndigbo Tells Britain To Help Stop Another Genocide Against Ndigbo. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by Sonofpeace(m): 7:26am On Feb 23, 2010
ODI_BABA:

@JPROSPERO you're a great.
You have spoken so well and eloquent! Yours is proving that truth is the hallmark of intellectualism.

However, NdiIgbo most stick to self determination. The home truth is Nigeria as structured today is doomed, it’s infecting designed to fail by the colonial masters. Putting politics aside, every student of contemporary African history acknowledges that a restructure of Nigeria means rejuvenation of the whole continent.

Nigeria most be restructured in a manner that will be beneficial, not only for it's citizens but as an articulated plan for African renaissance. A lose federation, or even confederation as previously agreed by the erstwhile leaders at Aburi conference before Gowon's renegade, allow each group to contrive it's pace or form of development. Determine its system of education, and application of overall governance. For example, the North might opt for monarchial as practiced in countries like Saudi Arabia or even sharia rule, I do not see any wrong in that as far as it's accepted by the majority of their people and enshrined in their constitution, and the rights of its citizens is not violated. The East might opt for republican constitution as it's self evident that the people abhor any form of imposed government. If every nation that consist of what is today Nigeria will have the right to chose, it will automatically bring in a healthy and progressive competition and pave way for eventual unification. The European Union may as well work as point of reference. I actually live in Canada, and what I find here is each region is autonomous as it's is Canadian; it's practically fiscal federation and may as well serve as a model for Nigeria's restructuring.

I hate to hear that NdiIgbo owns properties in every part of Nigeria without any guarantee of the safety of those properties, or even the life its owners in our present day Nigeria. My advice to every onye Igbo is to invest at home for your own safety. Those other Nigerians who has no dime in Igbo land are not silly if you really look at it. The truth is that they do not believe in one Nigeria, and may never believe for ever. I see no sense in developing their villages while Igbo land laid in waste with lack of real infrastructure that can galvanize and drive real economic activities. I rest my case.

Fenk you brother.
Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by daylight03: 3:31pm On Feb 24, 2010
I keep reading about how Igbo's have more property in Nigeria than any other ethnic group.
I have a question. Why, when it is possible for Igbo's to buy land wherever they want in the country, is it impossible to buy property in Igbo regions?

I know someone who wanted to settle in Enugu after serving there, he wanted to buy a property but was told that non Igbo cannot own land over there. This has been confirmed by other people even though I can't say I’ve seen any official declaration about this.
If we are all misinformed about the real events then maybe someone should write a book, not something biased though. There must be people out there willing to tell the real truth.

Based on what I’ve read at this stage I know the unfortunate killings of Igbo people after the first coup stemmed directly from the fact that the coup was (not without foundation) perceived to be an Igbo coup. it was carried out by mostly Igbo soldiers and resulted in an Igbo man as the head of state. The fact that one Igbo Lieutenant Colonel was also killed will never convince anyone that the coup that led to the death of Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa balewa, Ladoke Akintola, Okotie Eboh, Col Shodeinde etc. was not an Igbo coup especially when you consider the fact that Nnamdi Azikiwe was safely out of the country and Micheal Okpara was spared. That is enough to raise suspicion.

I think it would have been foolhardy to expect the North not to respond to the fact that they had much more casualties during that 'Igbo led coup' their response on July 29th was a reaction that should have been expected. How many non eastern Nigerians rejoiced at the results of the first coup? How many non eastern Nigerians were satisfied at the results? Was it the whole nation that thought that something glorious had been achieved? I don't think so, Therefore July 29th was inevitable.

Everything that happened after that was inevitable. Of course faced with the killings the Igbo seceded. Of course Nigeria would not accept the secession and of course there was war. The Igbo’s were not prepared, so they lost. The Igbo are not rich in agriculture, so they starved and their children died. The object of a war is to win it and that is what the Nigerian soldiers were doing. Soldiers are brutal, the fact that they kill, maim and destroy has nothing to do with their tribe, I’m sure presently in Nigeria Igbo police men are as brutal as those from any other tribe. It’s very unfortunate that the Igbo’s suffered so much during the war but what can be done about that now.
Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 21, 2010
I cant recall how many public holidays Nigeria witnesses in a year. But most of the public holidays are nothing but a waste of time especially for a nation like Nigeria. Sad enough, the very event that is at the core of our nationhood is not given even a minute to serve as remebrance. I am talking about the Nigerian Civil WAR.

The winners of that war [especially Gowon as the Headman] in declaring no "victor no vanquised" have wickedly chosen to erase history. For failing to honour and remember the thousands(if not millions) that died on both sides is the greatest injustice of all times.

Naija cannot find it's feet until a true reconciliation is pursued, and certainly this cannot be achieved by sweeping the war under the carpet.
Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by Obiobi8(m): 7:05pm On Jun 18, 2016
Against ghosts abi??
Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by vicadex07(m): 12:06am On Jun 19, 2016
Obiobi8:
Against ghosts abi??

Guy why you go resurrect this 6year old thread na
Re: Civil war not against Ndigbo — Gowon by megama: 5:11am On Jun 19, 2016
mekusxxx:
Gowon is a bloody unrepentant liar

12 February, 2010 02:55:00 ATIM IKPEME

FORTY years after the Nigerian Civil War former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has said the war was not  against  Ndigbo but against those that wanted to destroy the country.

Gowon made the claim on Tuesday at the special presentation of the TV series entitled,  “Nigeria: The Series” held at Terra Kulture, Victoria Island, Lagos.

He said, since the series is about telling the Nigerian story as it should be told it was pertinent to clear the air concerning the Nigerian civil war.
Gowon said the  war was not to fight Ndigbo but to find a better way to settle the rift in the country then.

“Nigeria as a country would have been a failure if the Igbo race had been allowed to leave the country Nigeria because they have contributed immensely to the growth and development of this country,” he said.

Gowon said it was high time Nigerians believed in their country and supported its project.     

Also speaking at the event, former Vice-President, Alex Ekwueme described “Nigeria: The Series as an attempt by the producers to look at Nigeria from inside out.

He urged all to support and sponsor the project as it was telling the Nigerian story by Nigerians and with Nigerians in full participation.
Obi Asika, CEO Storm 360, executive producers of the series, said it would be tracking the development of Nigeria from 1860-1960, a time in the life of this country that many do not know about.

The series, when on air, will be run on the local television stations, international stations in America, Europe and Africa as the Nigerian story is a global one that connects a lot of people, places and continent.

Lloyd Weaver,  TV series producer from Serengeti Network said that, the series is essentially the victorious struggle for independence and how Nigerians found a singular unity of purpose to be where we are today as a country.”

The 13-episode series will take viewers on a journey through the lives, events, stories ad controversies that shaped the birth of Nigeria and enlighten, inform, uplift and entertain Nigerians both at home and in diaspora.

Representing the Minister of Information and Communication, Prof Dora Akunyili, CEO Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON), Alhaji Garba Bello said the project was timely especially as the ministry is leading the rebrand Nigeria project.

She said for too long Nigerians have left others to tell our stories and that it is time to tell our story ourselves while commending Storm 360 and Serengeti Network for taking the lead in that area.

http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=27941
Nigeria cannot progress without IGBOS. Period. A great leader have spoken. Those that have ear let them hear

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

MASSOB Protests In Anambra, Seeks Jega’s Removal / Simple Agenda: Ize-Iyamu Plagiarising My Intellectual Property ― Pedro Obaseki / Rep Emeka Chinedu Martins Wants To Criminalize Protesting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.