Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,432 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie (485 Views)

These 15 Things Will Matter A Lot Less To You In The Future / Education/ Statistics Graduate And Ican / What's The Worst Lie Someone Has Ever Told You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie by beyondbasicsng: 11:16am On Aug 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

I believe that this is a place where we can air our opinion and since the government has decided that tyranny is the new order of the day and that SM is there for them to use condemn people who tend to question their way of governance, then, here I go. From my moniker, you can deduce that I am an advocate for the provision of basic needs of life (shelter, food, job, education, security, electricity, healthcare, good transportation system etc) and beyond that. International bodies such as UN and OECD suggests that the components of basic needs include:

a) United Nations (1954) 1. Health, including demographic conditions; 2. food and nutrition; 3. Education, including literacy and skills; 4. Conditions of work; 5. The employment situation; 6. Aggregate consumption and savings; 7. Transportation; a. Clothing; 9. Recreation and entertainment; 10. Social security; and 11. Human freedoms

b) United Nations (1961) 1. Health, including demographic conditions; 2. Food consumption and nutrition; 3. Education, including literacy and skills; 4. Employment and conditions of work; 5. Housing, including household facilities; 6. social security; 7. Recreation and entertainment; 8. Clothing; and 9. Human freedoms

c) OECD (1976) 1. Health; 2. Individual development through learning; 3. Employment and quality of working life; 4. Time and leisure; 5. Personal economic situation; 6. Physical environment; 7. Personal safety and administration of justice; and 8. Social opportunity and participation. (See http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/14967/8/08_chapter%202.pdf).

If these bodies suggests the above as the basic need components back in 1954, can you please make me understand why in 2017, we still struggle to have this. Example, in the first quarter of the year, there were evidence to suggest that more than 50 women died during childbirth. How come we are not doing anything to help solve the issues we have with our health system? I suppose one of the comments during campaign/election was that everyone would use the health system here and would not travel first class? Why is this now different?

Are you aware that the basic needs in modern day now includes fast internet connection? Not just fast but every household needs to be connected to the WWW.

I understand when people go abroad to seek better medical attention, however what happens to those who cannot afford it? Please do something and sort this issue out. A lot of people have died due to awful security. BH according to this government was meant to have been wiped out by now but, hey ho! we still await when all will be well.

When people speak against the government or stand for the truth, what do they do to them? Lock up people in jail, spray protesters with whatever they want. Is this even sane? There are loads of questions that are being asked with little or no response. In fact, Lauretta Onoche comes with responses that even a 2 year old shouldn't give. Imagine her saying we do not need to know what is wrong with Buhari. I get it, you get paid to make him look good but do you believe what you spew out? Do you really think Nigeria is developed? Look at the real facts - statistics don't lie! People are suffering, you might be rich but majority of Nigerians are not doing well? Education system is awful, transport networks - this is 2017!!!!

So I ask, what is wrong with the president? The country is now a joke! When similar thing happened in Yaraduas administration, it was bad.. But for this repeating itself again, come on people! come on!!!! You owe it to the people who voted you in and those who didn't to be transparent. What happened to government for the people and by the people? You owe us a lot and not just your childish explanation using America in 1919 as an example. BTW you do remember this is 2017!!!!! Over a century ago. I cant even believe you just took Nigeria backwards - back to 1919! Good Job lauretta, good job!!!

Yes they promised a change, indeed there is so much change but not a positive one. Next time, Nigerians do not vote for sentiment and stupidity, do not sell your votes, vote because you truly believe that the person would make a difference, let people be accountable.

What is democracy to you? Stop ruling in such a way that people are not allowed to speak freely or to question your strategies. Lead in a way that people would remember you for good and not the opposite.

So you'll know, I want the good for Nigeria. I want a Nigeria where all the development plans that we keep tossing to the sides are actually met. I want a country that people would be proud of. My expertise are in macroeconomics, economic development, international trade, FDI and international development. I have been researching on economic development plans since 1999 and I have written papers that offer policy suggestions, however I don't want to sit with academics discussing what to do anymore, I prefer telling those concerned i.e. policymakers the strategies that have been tried and tested and that would work perfectly in our own economy.

PS:
When things happen in developed countries: e.g London Grenfell fire tragedy, people asked questions, people got out to help others, communities rose up to cloth people and provide food for the people affected. Inquiries are up on the way and guess what, there is no sentiments towards getting answers. Imagine if this were Nigeria?
Stop getting rich for your own sake. Stop being hypocritical for nothing sake. Find a way to move the country forward and not backwards.

I can't believe we celebrate things that are meant to be provided for us without a question. E.g. the 'whitewashing' of a new road by layering it with just gravels and coal tar, e.g the building of a shopping mall (shoprite, which we sometimes call ultramodern - really?) Look at the disruption of the airport in Abuja - runway built to last a couple of years was used for 20 years or more with no maintenance. When will this stop?

Nigerians, are you aware of the charges that is paid just to keep the presidential jet parked in London? Are you aware they had even asked if they could park for free? Response was no ... lol. That is some money that could have been used for the good of the country.

Anyway, I am not here to dismiss the government, I am here to let you know that basic fundamental needs of the people should be the priority of the government. Stop taking us 100 years back, move forward. Stop recycling the people in government and those who have stolen cash give it up to help build a better future.

PPS:

In the 80s, we had the songs like Nigeria go survive, Africa go survive ---I like am, me I like my country (tell me how many people can actually say todays Nigeria is better than that of when we only just started?) When most of us were kids, they said Nigeria would be better, now We are all having kids and our kids are hearing the same thing - Shame, just shame on you all!

I want a better Nigeria where all policymakers are doing the right thing and not just being greedy. Where the interest of the poor is at heart and wealth disparity isn't that bad. Where rich are taxed accordingly and the poor accordingly. Where people can afford to pay rent, buy house, pay tuition fees, buy clothes, afford food, health system is good and education system is good. Where electricity is constant - stop celebrating 24/7 electricity in neighbouring countries. Rise and do something now and stop holding the country to ransom. Stop the godfathersim/cabal or whatever. Start doing what the good people who fought for independence did.

To all those who are honest in governance, thank you. To all those who keep making poor decisions at the detriment of the populace, good job.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie by hngprincess: 4:21pm On Aug 10, 2017
Re: When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie by beyondbasicsng: 7:50pm On Aug 10, 2017
hngprincess:
Further news on shoprite https://hotels.ng/guides/destinations/shoprite-nigeria-locations-contact/ <- here

Sorry, but I am unsure why this is posted here? There is no correlation.
Re: When Our Opinions Don't Matter And Statistics Don't Lie by beyondbasicsng: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2020
Funny how 3 years ago I was moaning about the Nigeria I want, today, after over 1 week of ENDSARS movement ... I hope we will remember to continue to demand the basic needs for our survival
1. Good housing
2. Good roads, proper infrastructure which includes rail, seaport, telecommunications and proper electricity
3. Security for everyone
4. Quality education
5. Good health services

This now includes
Stable Internet connection.

May God help us and keep those who have gone out to protest in order to achieve a better Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Check And Try This If You Need And Wants To Make Money With Your Phone! / Asigidi- Occultic Group Threaten Mother Of Two, Forces Son Into Exile. / Snipers Positioned At NNPC Over $26B Contract Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.