Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,064 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo (17558 Views)

White Man And His Friends Posed With Masquerade In Isua Akoko Ondo State..photos / Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups That Make Up Akoko Ondo / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 8:52am On Aug 18, 2017
EdoNation:

See Finishing ooo
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
grin grin grin
grin grin
cheesy grin
grin
cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Dem monkeys wan collect banana I give dem stone chop grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 8:58am On Aug 18, 2017
lx3as:

I even doubt it if KingOvoramwen1 is from Edo?

I even doubt it if you are sensible

Cry cry abandoned babies grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Osaze007: 9:22am On Aug 18, 2017
I think this thread is brainless
naturally members of any tribe that borders another tribe will sound a bit like the neighbouring tribe
same thing with edo near ibos
ishekiri sounds like edo and yoruba
yorubas from jebba sound like nupe

this thread is brainless
No benin man has time to be living off glory that was over 6000 years ago
the same KingOvoramwen if truly a benin man wont be gloating over this thread as without the same yoruba you will be speaking ibo language today.

to the brainless biafran saying dialect
can the anambra man understand native imo dialect
yeye osu

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 9:42am On Aug 18, 2017
[[s]quote author=Osaze007 post=59587417]I think this thread is brainless
naturally members of any tribe that borders another tribe will sound a bit like the neighbouring tribe

this thread is brainless
the same KingOvoramwen if truly a benin man wont be gloating over this thread as without the same yoruba you will be speaking ibo language today.

yeye osu [/quote][/s]

This one miss road ooo....... Gerrout out of here Yoruba boy trying to disguise but I can smell you miles away!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by pazienza(m): 9:44am On Aug 18, 2017
Just to point a few things.

Ifira And Ipesi first language is not Yoruboid, it's Edoid.

Odiani people have their Yoruboid language as first language, and then Enu ani( Igbo) as second language, it's only logical when they claim Yoruboid origin, no sensible Igbo will argue that.

Everything rooted in antiquity in Odi ani is Yoruboid.

In contrast, Akoko SE communities have Edoid languages as first language, only speak Yoruba as a second language. Everything rooted in antiquity in that part of Ondo is Edoid, right from words for things like King, Land, sky.

I don't need a soothsayer to know when someone is tampering with history for economic/political goals when I see one.

I say this not because I care about Edos, because they too play this same game with Igbo speaking, but Edo origin claiming Igbo towns.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by Osaze007: 9:48am On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:
[[s]quote author=Osaze007 post=59587417]I think this thread is brainless

this thread is brainless

yeye osu [/s]

This one miss road ooo....... Gerrout out of here Yoruba boy trying to disguise but I can smell you miles away!! angry

Just saying the truth

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 10:55am On Aug 18, 2017
pazienza:
Just to point a few things.

Ifira And Ipesi first language is not Yoruboid, it's Edoid.

Odiani people have their Yoruboid language as first language, and then Enu ani( Igbo) as second language, it's only logical when they claim Yoruboid origin, no sensible Igbo will argue that.

Everything rooted in antiquity in Odi ani is Yoruboid.

In contrast, Akoko SE communities have Edoid languages as first language, only speak Yoruba as a second language. Everything rooted in antiquity in that part of Ondo is Edoid, right from words for things like King, Land, sky.

I don't need a soothsayer to know when someone is tampering with history for economic/political goals when I see one.

I say this not because I care about Edos, because they too play this same game with Igbo speaking, but Edo origin claiming Igbo towns.

I have never heard of any kind of political clamor for inclusion in Edo from the people of ifira, Sosan Oke, Sosan Isale, Ishua or Ifira to be in Edo or to be anything Edo! They are proud to be Yorubas and are happy where they are. What I believe went over your head is that the fact that the language these people speak or spoke is classified as "Edoid" does not mean they see themselves as anything Edo-ish. Again you are forgetting the fact that there is no "Pan-Edo" ethnicity anywhere,

Go and worry about the current border clashes between Ette igalas/Idomas and Enugu state, the Olumbanasaa Igala communities in Anambra and their feelings of rejection, the Ebonyi non Igbos that came from Cross River and Benue, the Annang/Igbo clashes between Abia and Akwa Ibom and the Ukwuani/Isoko clashes instead of "chooking" your mouth into 100% peaceful border regions that are clearly mixing and enjoying the party of the advantage of their locations.

These are Palace dignitaries from Igarra, Edo state, tell me if they look like your Average Benin Palace setting of Today.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:10am On Aug 18, 2017
scholes0:

[s]I have never heard of any kind of political clamor for inclusion in Edo from the people of ifira, Sosan Oke, Sosan Isale, Ishua or Ifira to be in Edo or to be anything Edo! They are proud to be Yorubas and are happy where they are. What I believe went over your head is that the fact that the language these people speak or spoke is classified as "Edoid" does not mean they see themselves as anything Edo-ish. Again you are forgetting the fact that there is no "Pan-Edo" ethnicity anywhere,

Go and worry about the current border clashes between Ette igalas/Idomas and Enugu state, the Olumbanasaa Igala communities in Anambra and their feelings of rejection, the Ebonyi non Igbos that came from Cross River and Benue, the Annang/Igbo clashes between Abia and Akwa Ibom and the Ukwuani/Isoko clashes instead of "chooking" your mouth into 100% peaceful border regions that are clearly mixing and enjoying the party of the advantage of their locations.

These are Palace dignitaries from Igarra, Edo state, tell me if they look like your Average Benin Palace setting of Today.

[/s]

WTF is this one saying?......... Those pictures you posted are from an hamlet which are doubt are even up to 200 ppl grin grin grin we are talking ediod towns and cities this one dey bring up hamlets ..... Haha haha grin cheesy grin grin

And there is nothing like peacefully living we only tolorate the akokos at the border of Edo because the are the only ones that didn't betray their heritage the Great Benin Empire for awolowo freebies unlike the ones in Ondo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 11:14am On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

WTF is this one saying?......... Those pictures you posted are from an hamlet which are doubt are even up to 200 ppl grin grin grin we are talking ediod towns and cities this one dey bring up hamlets ..... Haha haha grin cheesy grin grin

Sure Igarra is a Hamlet. Leave it like that. The people there are proud of their "Hamlet".
Akoko Edo is the most populated local Government in All of Edo state outside Egor, Ikpoba Okha and Oredo (LGs in greater Benin area).

But of course, I don't expect you to know that since anything outside of Sakponba road falls outside your geoggraphic scope of Knowledge.

I pity your inferiority complex. grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:19am On Aug 18, 2017
[[s]quote author=scholes0 post=59591067]

Sure Igarra is an Hamlet. Leave it the people there are proud of their Hamlet.
Akoko Edo is the most populated local Government in All of Edo state outside Egor, Ikpoba Okha and Oredo (LGs in greater Benin area).

But of course, I don't expect you to know that since anything outside of Sakponba road falls outside your geoggraphic scope of Knowledge. [/quote]
[/s]
You are very dumb..... Igarra that the foolish wannabe Yoruba's there are not even up to 500 ppl .... Igarra a town populated by Afemias a bonafide Ediod group..... As a matter of fact the akoko at igarra are incosequetial and insignificant .... Infact they are not even 3rd or 4th fiddle to the Afemai....... They are just tolerated because they chose to remain in Bendel state and stay loyal to the Empire!!

So you better Shut Up!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 11:24am On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

You are very dumb..... Igarra that the foolish wannabe Yoruba's there are not even up to 500 ppl .... Igarra a town populated by Afemias a bonafide Ediod group..... As a matter of fact the akoko at igarra are incosequetial and insignificant .... Infact they are not even 3rd or 4th fiddle to the Afemai....... They are just tolerated because they chose to remain in Bendel state and stay loyal to the Empire!!

So you better Shut Up!!!

LOL.... see this one, he doesnt even have geographic knowledge of his state and he is arguing with me on Pan Akoko Identity. Shioor.
For your information Igarras are proud Ebira Etunos. That is why I keep saying this discussion is beyond your limited Benin knowledge scope.

Yes we know they are only Tolerated in Edo state and not actually wanted or embraced. They only reason why they are now in Bendel/Edo is that during the creation of the defunct bendel, their votes were all counted together with the one single Afemai region that includes various other people. same way the Itsekiris were counted in the entire old Warri division that was synonymous with all Delta South and Central today, comprised isokos, Urhobos, Western Ijaws and them)

Be rest assured that now they have their own local government, things are quite different from before when they were all lumped together under Afemai/Kukuruuku.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:28am On Aug 18, 2017
scholes0:

[s]
LOL.... see this one, he doesnt even have geographic knowledge of his state and he is arguing with me on Pan Akoko Identity. Shioor.
For your information Igarras are proud Ebira Etunos. That is why I keep saying this discussion is beyond your limited Benin knowledge scope.

Yes we know they are only Tolerated in Edo state and not actually wanted or embraced. They only reason why they are now in Bendel/Edo is that during the creation of the defunct bendel, their votes were all counted together with the one single Afemai region that includes various other people. same way the Itsekiris were counted in the entire Warri region that also comprised isokos, Urhobos and them)

Be rest assured that now they have their own local government, things are quite different from before when they were all lumped together under Afemai/Kukuruuku[/s].

They voted to remain in Bendel unlike their back stabbing brothers in Ondo!!.... So quit the lies you look stupid

Nothing is different ......They Shut the fvck up and Obey or get dealt with by the Afemai which in turn report back to the Oba in Benin..

The Truth is Bitter...... Kiss it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 11:33am On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

They voted to remain in Bendel unlike their back stabbing brothers in Ondo!!.... So quit the lies you look stupid

Nothing is different ......They Shut the fvck up and Obey or get dealt with by the Afemai which in turn report back to the Oba in Benin..

The Truth is Bitter...... Kiss it grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

lol you don't know anything. Most Etsakos don't really feel any deep level of kinship with Benin, other that the fact that you share states, and they speak Edoid languages (which in itself is not a signifier of ethnic attachment/loyalties).

Does the Otaru of Auchi here look like he reports anything to Benin to you?

I have told you before, any Edo community that does not have an Odionwere or Enogie, just FORGET about them in your landgrabbing crusade.

LMAO... keep masturbating over empire wey don die teeey tey, till reality slaps you in the face.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:42am On Aug 18, 2017
[quote author=scholes0 post=59591685]

l[s]ol you don't know anything. Most Etsakos don't really feel any deep level of kinship with Benin, other that the fact that you share states, and they speak Edoid languages (which in itself is not a signifier of ethnic attachment/loyalties).

Does the Otaru of Auchi here look like he reports anything to Benin to you?

I have told you before, any Edo community that does not have an Odion or Enogie, just FORGET about them in your landgrabbing crusade.

LMAO... keep masturbating over empire wey don die teeey tey. [/quote[/s]]

Ohh REALLY?........ YOU WERE SAYING?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

show us pictures of the Emir of Kwara reporting to your Dwarf ooni in ife

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 11:47am On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Otaru took a picture with the King of his designated state capital.... Clap for yourself... lol, what an achievement.
Even Sanusi Lamido Emir of kano took a picture with Oba of Benin, so what?
Here is Lamido of Yola/Adamawa picture with Oba of Benin too

Where s the Enogie of Auchi? kikiki

Auchi: Learning from the only emirate in Southern Nigeria (II)
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/philosofaith/15358-auchi-learning-from-the-only-emirate-in-southern-nigeria-i

It is on fact that the Otaru frolicks more with Northern Emirs and feels more comfortable among them than he does in your phantom Benin kingdom. grin

I pity your state of existence.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 11:59am On Aug 18, 2017
scholes0:

[s]Otaru took a picture with the King of his designated state capital.... Clap for yourself... lol, what an achievement.
Even Sanusi of Lamido took a picture with Oba of Benin, so what?
Here is Lamido of Yola/Adamawa picture with Oba os Benin too

Where s the Enogie of Auchi? kikiki

Auchi: Learning from the only emirate in Southern Nigeria (II)
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/philosofaith/153he-only-emirate-in-southern-nigeria-i

It is on fact that the Otaru frolicks more with Northern Emirs and feels more comfortable among them than he does in your phantom Benin kingdom. grin

I pity your state of existence[/s].

How Emir Of Ilorin, Kwara Governor And Saraki Have Oppressed Oba Of Jebba Since 2003

He may be a monarch, but Alhaji Abdulkabir Alabi Adebara, the Oba of Jebba in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State, is treated with contempt by the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Kolapo Sulu-Gambari.
BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUL 20, 2016

He may be a monarch, but Alhaji Abdulkabir Alabi Adebara, the Oba of Jebba in Moro Local Government Area of Kwara State, is treated with contempt by the Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Kolapo Sulu-Gambari.

The Emir, actively abetted by the state government of Governor Abdulfattah Ahmed and his godfather, Bukola Saraki, the Nigerian Senate President, has refused to recognise Adebara as the Oba of Jebba. And for 11 years, beginning from the time Saraki became governor, the state government did not pay Adebara his entitlements. The Emir continues to claim that Jebba is under the Ilorin Emirate despite a 1997 court ruling (in suit KWS/231/89) stating otherwise.

In October 2014, the Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG), a Yoruba socio-cultural group, drew attention to the ill-treatment of Adebara, notably marked by the state government's studious refusal to recognise him a third class traditional ruler even after two courts had affirmed his status.

“Six monarchs from Asa, Moro and Ilorin East Local Government Areas – Ohoro of Shao, Oba of Jebba, Alapado of Apado, Baale of Afon, Dado of Okeso, and Magaji Aare of Ilorin – submitted memoranda for the exercise, but none was deemed qualified even though they all met the criteria set out in the advertisement,” the organisation said.

At the Jebba Muslim praying ground on July 6, 2016, Oba Adebara was attacked after the Eid-el-Fitr prayers in a disturbance that resulted in the death of three persons and injuries to 12 others. The attack was reportedly sponsored by members of Okedare family, who want one of them to be Oba of the town. Among the Okedares, who are loyal to the state government and the Emir of Ilorin, are Matthew Okedare, Deputy Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly; Simon Okedare, Clerk of the Assembly; and Kayode Okedare, the Principal of Government Secondary School, Jebba.

Adebara's unfortunate situation persists despite the fact that suits filed by the state government in various courts against his claim to the Jebba stool have been decided in his favor.

Adebara became the Oba of Jebba in 2003 and was given a letter of appointment, which categorised him as a "Third Class" traditional ruler, by Governor Alhaji Mohammed Lawal (now late), whose tenure as governor was about ending and was later succeeded by Saraki.

Adebara's ordeal began a few months into Saraki's first term of office when the state government ordered that he should no longer be paid his entitlements because Jebba was yet to have a traditional ruler.

He was subsequently arrested and detained at Okekura Prison for 19 days on criminal charges. He was later released on bail.

Shortly after, the state government dragged Adebara before a Chief Magistrate's Court, alleging that he was parading himself illegally as Oba in violation of both the state and local government orders as well as well as giving evidence in a suit before a High Court as the traditional ruler of Jebba when he knew that his action contravened the "Chiefs Appointment Deposition Law and the Penal Code." Adebara, a retired civil servant, pleaded not guilty to the charges, affirming in his examination-in-chief that, "I am presently the Oba of Jebba and I became monarch since May 16th 2003, having succeeded the deceased Oba Ahmadu Adebara."

Adebara's counsel, Joseph Bamigboye, successfully contested the jurisdiction of the magistrate's court to entertain the matter, as it was criminal in nature.

The matter (Suit No. KWS/2c/2006, The State Vs Alhaji AbdulKadir) then moved to the state High Court, where, SaharaReporters learnt, two judges were forced to withdraw from the case on account of pressure from the Emir of Ilorin, supported by the state government.

Before the third judge, Justice Hannah Ajayi, the state counsel, Mrs. FB Ishola, called four witnesses, while Adebara called two. Ishola told the court that all the prosecution required was to prove that Adebara paraded himself as a monarch in violation of government order. She averred that Adebara kept on parading himself as such despite a letter from the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, dated November 3, 2003, instructing him to stop doing so and revert to the status quo. She further submitted that Adebara failed to prove that he was appointed by kingmakers, saying the town had no kingmakers as claimed by the four prosecution witnesses.

Ishola maintained that Adebara's refusal to revert to the status quo made him criminally liable for advertising himself as what he is not. Ishola similarly argued that the prosecution had successfully established a case of an "illegal parade" as a monarch against Adebara and urged the court convict him as charged.

In Adebara's defence, his counsel submitted that the letter the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs claimed to have written was not addressed to any person or stool in particularly, arguing that its content was imprecise.

For the prosecution to show that the letter was addressed to Adebara, the counsel added, it must prove, among other things, that his appointment as Oba of Jebba in 2003 did not comply with the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. He further submitted that no evidence had been tendered before the court showing the provision of the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963 that was breached by Adebara's traditional and governmental appointment. The counsel also told the court that the prosecution failed to adduce any evidence to suggest that Adebara did not take an oath of office upon his appointment as is required by law. Adebara's lawyer then proceeded to punch holes in the prosecution's claim that the Oba's appointment provoked huge protests in the town, arguing that the Jebba community, including 33 surrounding villages under it, expressed massive support for the appointment. "There was no challenge to the appointment of the accused within the ruling house and there was no acknowledged petition to the Governor over the appointment and that there was no lawsuit against the appointment," said Bamgboye.

The counsel further argued that government's appointment and grading under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law were strictly for the government recognition of the appointment, adding that "the purported government withdrawal of appointment and grading will only withdraw the recognition under the referred law, but cannot withdraw the traditional appointment.

"Where an Oba is not appointed by the government and is not graded, he is still an Oba within the Interpretation Act once he is accepted by his people and the kingmakers.

"Even where his appointment by government and grading are subsequently withdrawn, he remains an Oba under the Interpretation Act, but not under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law.

"In effect, the purported letter, including the two, which emanated from the local government, do not and cannot act as instruments of deposition. The Oba still remains an Oba by virtue of his traditional appointment and is competent to parade himself as such," Adebara's lawyer told the court.

In her judgment, delivered in January 2014, Justice Ajayi said there were contradictions in the testimonies of the four prosecution witnesses, while those given by defence witnesses were found to have been consistent.

The judge decided that the prosecution had failed to prove that Adebara's appointment in 2003 contravened the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. She subsequently pronounced a no-guilty verdict on Adebara, subsequently discharging and acquitting him of the two-count criminal charge and affirming his status as the legitimate traditional ruler of Jebba with third class status.

The court also ordered the state government to pay all the arrears of Adebara's entitlements for 11 years, which it has failed to comply with.

Dissatisfied, the state government headed to the Federal Appeal, which upheld the judgment of the lower court.

On Monday July 18 2016, the Kwara State Governor announced the elevation of a number of chiefs to "First Class" traditional rulers, one of those elevated includes the Olupako of Share who is Oba of the Governor's hometown. The Olupako of Share and the Oba of Jebba were both recognised as Third Class in 1983. The Governor still won't recognize and accord Oba Adebare of Jebba his entitlements and court ordered status.

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2017
How Emir Of Ilorin, Kwara Governor And Saraki Have Oppressed Oba Of Jebba Since 2003

BY SAHARAREPORTERS, NEW YORKJUL 20, 2016

The Emir, actively abetted by the state government of Governor Abdulfattah Ahmed and his godfather, Bukola Saraki, the Nigerian Senate President, has refused to recognise Adebara as the Oba of Jebba. And for 11 years, beginning from the time Saraki became governor, the state government did not pay Adebara his entitlements. The Emir continues to claim that Jebba is under the Ilorin Emirate despite a 1997 court ruling (in suit KWS/231/89) stating otherwise.

In October 2014, the Afenifere Renewal Group (ARG), a Yoruba socio-cultural group, drew attention to the ill-treatment of Adebara, notably marked by the state government's studious refusal to recognise him a third class traditional ruler even after two courts had affirmed his status.

“Six monarchs from Asa, Moro and Ilorin East Local Government Areas – Ohoro of Shao, Oba of Jebba, Alapado of Apado, Baale of Afon, Dado of Okeso, and Magaji Aare of Ilorin – submitted memoranda for the exercise, but none was deemed qualified even though they all met the criteria set out in the advertisement,” the organisation said.

At the Jebba Muslim praying ground on July 6, 2016, Oba Adebara was attacked after the Eid-el-Fitr prayers in a disturbance that resulted in the death of three persons and injuries to 12 others. The attack was reportedly sponsored by members of Okedare family, who want one of them to be Oba of the town. Among the Okedares, who are loyal to the state government and the Emir of Ilorin, are Matthew Okedare, Deputy Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly; Simon Okedare, Clerk of the Assembly; and Kayode Okedare, the Principal of Government Secondary School, Jebba.

Adebara's unfortunate situation persists despite the fact that suits filed by the state government in various courts against his claim to the Jebba stool have been decided in his favor.

Adebara became the Oba of Jebba in 2003 and was given a letter of appointment, which categorised him as a "Third Class" traditional ruler, by Governor Alhaji Mohammed Lawal (now late), whose tenure as governor was about ending and was later succeeded by Saraki.

Adebara's ordeal began a few months into Saraki's first term of office when the state government ordered that he should no longer be paid his entitlements because Jebba was yet to have a traditional ruler.

He was subsequently arrested and detained at Okekura Prison for 19 days on criminal charges. He was later released on bail.

Shortly after, the state government dragged Adebara before a Chief Magistrate's Court, alleging that he was parading himself illegally as Oba in violation of both the state and local government orders as well as well as giving evidence in a suit before a High Court as the traditional ruler of Jebba when he knew that his action contravened the "Chiefs Appointment Deposition Law and the Penal Code." Adebara, a retired civil servant, pleaded not guilty to the charges, affirming in his examination-in-chief that, "I am presently the Oba of Jebba and I became monarch since May 16th 2003, having succeeded the deceased Oba Ahmadu Adebara."

Adebara's counsel, Joseph Bamigboye, successfully contested the jurisdiction of the magistrate's court to entertain the matter, as it was criminal in nature.

The matter (Suit No. KWS/2c/2006, The State Vs Alhaji AbdulKadir) then moved to the state High Court, where, SaharaReporters learnt, two judges were forced to withdraw from the case on account of pressure from the Emir of Ilorin, supported by the state government.

Before the third judge, Justice Hannah Ajayi, the state counsel, Mrs. FB Ishola, called four witnesses, while Adebara called two. Ishola told the court that all the prosecution required was to prove that Adebara paraded himself as a monarch in violation of government order. She averred that Adebara kept on parading himself as such despite a letter from the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, dated November 3, 2003, instructing him to stop doing so and revert to the status quo. She further submitted that Adebara failed to prove that he was appointed by kingmakers, saying the town had no kingmakers as claimed by the four prosecution witnesses.

Ishola maintained that Adebara's refusal to revert to the status quo made him criminally liable for advertising himself as what he is not. Ishola similarly argued that the prosecution had successfully established a case of an "illegal parade" as a monarch against Adebara and urged the court convict him as charged.

In Adebara's defence, his counsel submitted that the letter the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs claimed to have written was not addressed to any person or stool in particularly, arguing that its content was imprecise.

For the prosecution to show that the letter was addressed to Adebara, the counsel added, it must prove, among other things, that his appointment as Oba of Jebba in 2003 did not comply with the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. He further submitted that no evidence had been tendered before the court showing the provision of the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963 that was breached by Adebara's traditional and governmental appointment. The counsel also told the court that the prosecution failed to adduce any evidence to suggest that Adebara did not take an oath of office upon his appointment as is required by law. Adebara's lawyer then proceeded to punch holes in the prosecution's claim that the Oba's appointment provoked huge protests in the town, arguing that the Jebba community, including 33 surrounding villages under it, expressed massive support for the appointment. "There was no challenge to the appointment of the accused within the ruling house and there was no acknowledged petition to the Governor over the appointment and that there was no lawsuit against the appointment," said Bamgboye.

The counsel further argued that government's appointment and grading under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law were strictly for the government recognition of the appointment, adding that "the purported government withdrawal of appointment and grading will only withdraw the recognition under the referred law, but cannot withdraw the traditional appointment.

"Where an Oba is not appointed by the government and is not graded, he is still an Oba within the Interpretation Act once he is accepted by his people and the kingmakers.

"Even where his appointment by government and grading are subsequently withdrawn, he remains an Oba under the Interpretation Act, but not under the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law.

"In effect, the purported letter, including the two, which emanated from the local government, do not and cannot act as instruments of deposition. The Oba still remains an Oba by virtue of his traditional appointment and is competent to parade himself as such," Adebara's lawyer told the court.

In her judgment, delivered in January 2014, Justice Ajayi said there were contradictions in the testimonies of the four prosecution witnesses, while those given by defence witnesses were found to have been consistent.

The judge decided that the prosecution had failed to prove that Adebara's appointment in 2003 contravened the Chiefs Appointment and Deposition Law of 1963. She subsequently pronounced a no-guilty verdict on Adebara, subsequently discharging and acquitting him of the two-count criminal charge and affirming his status as the legitimate traditional ruler of Jebba with third class status.

The court also ordered the state government to pay all the arrears of Adebara's entitlements for 11 years, which it has failed to comply with.

Dissatisfied, the state government headed to the Federal Appeal, which upheld the judgment of the lower court.

On Monday July 18 2016, the Kwara State Governor announced the elevation of a number of chiefs to "First Class" traditional rulers, one of those elevated includes the Olupako of Share who is Oba of the Governor's hometown. The Olupako of Share and the Oba of Jebba were both recognised as Third Class in 1983. The Governor still won't recognize and accord Oba Adebare of Jebba his entitlements and court ordered status.

Oya cry na cry cry cry hahaha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:02pm On Aug 18, 2017
Kwara a whole Yoruba state sucking Fulani Divck since 1100AD
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 12:04pm On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

WOOOOOW. Jebba deep in northern Kwara on very the banks of the Niger still maintains an Oba whereas Warrake deep in Owan can't even maintain their culture. lmao

Abu Mohamodu Oshimeh (Galadima 1) of Warrake Land in Owan East L.G.A of Edo State.

What is their excuse? smh
You no dey even shame.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:09pm On Aug 18, 2017
scholes0:

WOOOOOW. Jebba deep in northern Kwara on very the banks of the Niger still maintains an Oba whereas Warrake in Owan can't even maintain their culture. lmao

Abu Mohamodu Oshimeh (Galadima 1) of Warrake Land in Owan East L.G.A of Edo State.

What is their excuse? smh
You no dey eve shame.

Which Oba for jebba?? angry angry grin

You nor read say Oba nor dey jebba grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 12:14pm On Aug 18, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

Which Oba for jebba?? angry angry grin

You nor read say Oba nor dey jebba grin grin grin grin

lol this guy types like an Infant, Lmao.

I can post a link to the Oba of Jebba during Pan Oodua conference in Ibadan if you want to see it.
Now that I have shown how fragmented Edo state is as a whole, this mumu is trying to show which area is more islamic than which area.

From Yoruba forces to Emirs everywhere, to Ijaws in Edo south to Igbos in Ekpon in Esan land and Igbanke, to Igalas in Agenebode , Illushi and Esan southeast LG... Katakata just dey shele for "Edo Kingdom"

Edo muslims don't even bear Edo names anymore (no kidding to any neutral observers watching this thread) you will see someone whose name is Abbdullah Galadima and Muhammad Bello Dan Azumi claiming to be from Edo. Just go to Auchi, Okpella, Warrake, Ibie, Agenebode Etc them plenty for there.

To the extent that Northerners now see those areas as part of the North.
Look at what the Aboki in this picture is saying

It's a pity really.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
scholes0:

[s]lol this guy types like an Infant, Lmao.

I can post a link to the Oba of Jebba during Pan Oodua conference in Ibadan if you want to see it.
Now that I have shown how fragmented Edo state is as a whole, this mumu is trying to show which area is more islamic than which area.

From Yoruba forces to Emirs everywhere, to Ijaws in Edo south to Igbos in Ekpon in Esan land and Igbanke... Katakata just dey shele for "Edo Kingdom"

Edo muslims don't even ebar Edo names anymore (no kidding to any eutral observers watching this thread) you will see someone whose name is Abbdullah Galadima and Muhammad Bello Dan Azumi claiming to be from Edo. Just go to Auchi, Okpella, Warrake, Ibie, Agenebode Etc them plenty for there.

To the extent that Northerners now see those areas as part of the North.
Look at what the Aboki in this picture is saying

[img]http://c1.staticflickr359/35837569333_4ea0b1cac8_b.jpg[/img]

It's a pity really.
[/s]

Wooow such a pity and disgrace

Emir of auchi norbe Emir of Ilorin a whole state capital hahahahahahahahhaha

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 12:19pm On Aug 18, 2017
lol I can still bet for Ilorin to be 95% Yoruba in 100 years than I can bet that Auchi will remain same in the same time period.
These are towns supposedly in southern Nigeria for God's sake. At least Lugard made the error of demarcating Okun and parts of Kwara into North.

So called Southern traditional rulers tyeing turban everywhere and picking up Hausa titles like pure water.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:22pm On Aug 18, 2017
HRH Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari: 20 years on the Ilorin throne ON NOVEMBER 12, 201512:52 AMIN IS'HAQ MODIBBO KAWUCOMMENTS

By Is’haq Modibbo Kawu AT the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, twenty years ago, in 1995, Hon. Justice Ibrahim Gambari, was officially instituted as the eleventh Fulani Emir of Ilorin. His Royal Highness came to the throne eminently qualified and prepared for the position. He was already a highly educated achiever who had a very modernising perspective and a cosmopolitan world outlook, because of an education, which took him to the best schools at home and abroad. He was an accomplished jurist who presided at the Ibadan Division of the Court of Appeal and had become a very influential member of the Nigerian elite. Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu Gambari A man of many levels of friendship and interests, then Justice Gambari had been a member of the board of the Nigerian football federation and a lover of sports who played lawn tennis with a great deal of passion. He was for many years Ciroman Ilorin, and was clearly prepared for the next step to become Emir, which eventually came to him with the death of his Uncle, the tenth Emir. HRH Ibrahim Gambari ascended the throne at a point of very fast-paced changes in the world, in Nigeria and inside Ilorin town. The political situation in the country was very tense, against the backdrop of the annulment of the June 12, 1993 elections; the national resentment in the aftermath; return of military dictatorship and the years of the struggle for democracy with a rejection of the entire authoritarian baggage of military dictatorship. Military dictatorship Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari had to combine a modernising vision with a deft ability to preserve the very best elements of the fast eroding traditional values in a community that was similarly undergoing remarkable changes. And in the past twenty years, Ilorin has undergone tremendous changes: there is the incredible demographic revolution, as in all of Nigeria, where the community’s population has become very, very young. The educational campaigns of the past couple of decades have collectively led to an explosion in schools attendance in the Ilorin Emirate. This is an Emirate that combines an increasingly populated urban complexity with a rapidly decaying, often restive rural component, where there is also a growing consciousness of self. Return to Civil rule: The return to civil rule in 1999, led to the reopening of old fissures within the subsoil of Ilorin history, which tested very severely, the relationship between the new civilian government of the late Governor Muhammed Lawal, and the Emirate structure in the city. Two of the more resilient elements of the Ilorin identity won out in the long run; these were acceptance of the Emirate structure and fidelity to Islam, both of which were always interwoven in the Ilorin consciousness, and which have kept a community of multi-ethnic identities together, for over two hundred years. The community, including and especially its elites, rallied around the Emir and on a note of near finality, the long-standing Saraki political machinery was finally able to ride on the back of the aspirations of the Ilorin people, to impose a stranglehold on the political, economic and even the cultural affairs of the Ilorin community, since 2003. The past twelve years, since 2003, have been under the almost-total control of a family’s hegemony that has had a far more negative effect on the communal ethos of the Ilorin community, than at any other period in the past fifty-five years of Nigerian independence. At its heart, has been the institution of the Saraki personality cult, which reached even greater heights of absurdity, when the younger Saraki, Bukola, became the ultimate controller of politics; dispenser of fortune; the one that offers placements and sharply administers demotions within politics and the bureaucracy; and the ‘infallible godfather’ determining administration and application of state financial resources; and maybe, as people are now beginning to discover, the richest individual ever, in the community! The majority of the people in the community,are the young who have grown into adulthood over the past twelve years; they only know the arrested development; governance-as-a-lie; deceit; hypocrisy; sycophancy; groveling surrender; abuse and violence associated with the dictatorial hegemony in the state today. Within this ambience, it has not often been easy even for our highly revered Emir, His Royal Highness (HRH), Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari,to operate with effectiveness, as the father of all. Long before 2003, such outstanding sons of the community like the late General Abdulkareem Adisa, for example, gave a lot to the community, including the modern Eid praying ground; yet, even his name won’t be remembered in prayers in that praying ground today. The suffocating agendas of the hegemony have taken centre stage of community life, almost as if there was no community before the controlling political family came to Ilorin; and the hegemon’s pursuit of a personal political ambition today, suborns practically every institution of the Ilorin community, including even the values of the Emirate system. The overriding ambition of an individual portends great danger for future continuing cohesiveness in our community. Huge population of young: The huge population of young people in the community is unable to get meaningfully engaged in an economy that is barely functional. An entrepreneurial spirit has not flowered as much as could, because of the close control of finance within a narrow circle in the city and state. Politics is everything, since it seems to be the most ready way to find some amount of success, but not all can become commissioners; special advisers or assistants; there has therefore grown a huge reservoir of lumpen youth, employed as thugs and toughies, and are in the entourage of the political hegemony in the state. It is amongst these that come those used to snatch or stuff ballot boxes during elections or to administer violence against political opponents of the hegemony; and it is from amongst them that came those who went on a rampage of killings and destruction of property in Ilorin, a few months back. Hegemony’s mismanagement There is also a structure of deepening religious fundamentalism within a section of the youth in the community. And the fact that there is generalised deepening of poverty in the community, which is the direct result of the hegemony’s mismanagement of state resources, has also played into the manipulative, divisive and often violent politics of the period since 2003. The strongest current here has overwhelmingly been negative, yet those within the circles of the hegemony have built personal houses, petrol stations, hotels and guesthouses and event centres, as expressions of the crumbs they earned from groveling servitude to the hegemon. But the Emirate structure has over the past two hundred years provided an ambience of peace and general respect for diversity. Ilorin has therefore gained a lot of investments and an inflow of people fleeing more volatile areas of Nigeria. The Emir of Ilorin consistently speaks for the maintenance of that unique aspect of communal existence and even the bleak picture associated with hegemonic politics has, thankfully, been unable to destroy the welcoming and generally peaceful nature of the Ilorin community. And as a state capital, Ilorin has grown as a seat of administration, centre of culture and learning with universities, colleges of education, polytechnic, Islamiyyas and Madrasas; shopping complexes, even vehicular gridlock on roads and other associated examples of the modernity, that Emir Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari has always wanted in the community. Successes of sons and daughters: And the successes that many sons and daughters of the community have made in professions in many parts of the world are also a hallmark of the developments witnessed in the past twenty years in Ilorin. His Highness Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari has a lot to be happy about in his twenty years on our forefathers’ throne. Going forwards, balancing the dialectic of Ilorin’s traditional ethos and the complexities of modernity, will continue to engage Emir Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari’s leadership acumen. He will also have to return to the starting point of being the father of all in the community. His Highness should re-invigorate the structures of leadership to ensure that he re-connects firmly with all of our people and the aspirations of all our elites, not just the interests and political ambition of the leading politician in the community today. The people need him as a rallying point as much as he needs the people’s love and loyalty. That is our history! Happy Twentieth Anniversary! Allah ya ja zaminin Mai Martaba, Emir of Ilorin, Alhaji Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari! Amin.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/hrh-ibrahim-sulu-gambari-20-years-on-the-ilorin-throne/

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:27pm On Aug 18, 2017

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by scholes0(m): 12:29pm On Aug 18, 2017
lol

Reporting Live from Aviele!

Yet another town

3 Likes

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2017
[[s]quote author=scholes0 post=59593551]lol

Reporting Live from Aviele!

Yet another town[/quote][/s]

The people sef are not up to 30
Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah

1 Like

Re: Highlighting The Ethno-linguistic Groups that Make Up Akoko Ondo by KingOvoramwen1(m): 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2017

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Full List Of Past Olubadans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.