Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 AM

‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ (848 Views)

Child 'surrendered' To Camera Pointed At Her She Assume Was Gun Gon Viral Twiter / The Financial Meltdown Wasn’t A Mistake — It Was A Con / The Joke’s On Us - The Pantybomber Wasn’t The Big Joke. We Are. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by 4Play(m): 1:32pm On Feb 14, 2010
Today’s Fox News Sunday panel looked at Attorney General Eric Holder’s decision to hold terrorist trials in federal courts rather than military commissions. The discussion quickly shifted to Holder himself, and whether he should be fired. NPR’s Juan Williams argued that Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol and Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer were lobbing “unjustified” attacks on Holder since the Bush administration repeatedly tried terrorists in civilian courts.

Krauthammer then cited the case of the failed Christmas Day bombing by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, saying that the Obama administration should have assumed that he “has people who are working with him” because he’s Nigerian:

KRAUTHAMMER: You arrest a guy who’s got a bomb in his underpants. You know, it’s likely he didn’t do it at home in his kitchen. … The guy is Nigerian. You’ve got to assume — you have to assume that he has people who are working with him.

WILLIAMS: Because he’s a Nigerian?

KRAUTHAMMER: Why do you assume otherwise? It makes no sense at all. You capture a terrorist and in almost all of our plots there are groups of terrorists. [, ]

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/31/krauthammer-abdul-mutallab/
Re: ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by Beaf: 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2010
Everyone knows he didn't act alone. In fact two other Nigerians were rumoured to be involved and indeed two Nigerians were arrested recently in Asia. But all of that is conjecture and no better than the ignorant attempts of the Fox News; they are a very thinly valed racist channel anyway.
Re: ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by JeSoul(f): 6:52pm On Feb 16, 2010
4 Play:

Today’s Fox News Sunday panel looked at Attorney General Eric Holder’s decision to hold terrorist trials in federal courts rather than military commissions. The discussion quickly shifted to Holder himself, and whether he should be fired. NPR’s Juan Williams argued that Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol and Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer were lobbing “unjustified” attacks on Holder since the Bush administration repeatedly tried terrorists in civilian courts.

Krauthammer then cited the case of the failed Christmas Day bombing by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, saying that the Obama administration should have assumed that he “has people who are working with him” because he’s Nigerian:

KRAUTHAMMER: You arrest a guy who’s got a bomb in his underpants. You know, it’s likely he didn’t do it at home in his kitchen. … The guy is Nigerian. You’ve got to assume — you have to assume that he has people who are working with him.

WILLIAMS: Because he’s a Nigerian?

KRAUTHAMMER: Why do you assume otherwise? It makes no sense at all. You capture a terrorist and in almost all of our plots there are groups of terrorists. [, ]

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/31/krauthammer-abdul-mutallab/

Hmmm . . . . something fishy

I don't like the way this story was presented . . . Krau may not actually be saying "he wasn't acting alone because he's Nigerian" but more like "he wasn't acting alone because they usually act in groups".

I say so for 2 reasons:
1. because transcripts don't always capture properly what a person said and his quote has been edited - that is it's incomplete in the format shown in the story as evidenced by the ". . . " here -
4 Play:
KRAUTHAMMER: You arrest a guy who’s got a bomb in his underpants. You know, it’s likely he didn’t do it at home in his kitchen. [size=20pt]…[/size] The guy is Nigerian. You’ve got to assume — you have to assume that he has people who are working with him.

2. I followed the link to the website and they conveniently did not provide the video for us to watch, but for the other quotes below the video is available. This spells easily to me that they are taking his statement out of context and don't want us to watch the video for ourselves. I'll see if I can find the full video anywhere on youtube.
Re: ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by 4Play(m): 9:46pm On Feb 16, 2010
@JeSoul

I watched it on the night he said it and he was clearly implying that Muttalab was part of a conspiracy because he's a Nigerian. Kraut is a very bright man but he goofed here.
Re: ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by JeSoul(f): 10:08pm On Feb 16, 2010
4 Play:

@JeSoul

I watched it on the night he said it and he was clearly implying that Muttalab was part of a conspiracy because he's a Nigerian. Kraut is a very bright man but he goofed here.

Wow okay, if 4Play says it, I believe it. Yeah that would def be a goof and not cool  angry. But not entirely suprising anyways . . . almost everytime I hear a story on mutallab, the statement is usually tagged with "The Nigerian Terrorist" . . . I don't recall other terrorists nationalities being constantly attached to their names like his is.
Re: ‘The Guy Is Nigerian,’ So You ‘have To Assume’ He Wasn’t ‘Acting Alone’ by coldhearts(f): 4:24am On Feb 18, 2010
JeSoul:

Wow okay, if 4Play says it, I believe it. Yeah that would def be a goof and not cool  angry. But not entirely suprising anyways . . . almost everytime I hear a story on mutallab, the statement is usually tagged with "The Nigerian Terrorist" . . .  I don't recall other terrorists nationalities being constantly attached to their names like his is.

Because the world can never see us as terrorist like some  media desperately tries to portray us as. It's can be compared to a beautiful woman, men see her as the best among all women no matter how vile/evil other women says she is smiley.

Also it was very strange that u.s was quick to label us as terrorist, many nations have common sense and still question that.

(1) (Reply)

U.s. Navy Captures 5 Pirates After [s]gun Battle[/s] Ass Kicking In Indian Ocea / Princess Diana Docu-film Bannned In The Uk / Wolrd Most Poweful Women "ever" Over Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.