Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,729 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! (927 Views)

How To Insert A Flash Intro Page In Dreamweaver-help Needed / Creating Complex / Advanced Search Forms With Sql Queries In Dreamweaver / Help! Implementing A Horizontal Looper With Dreamweaver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by Ceekay(m): 10:26pm On Feb 14, 2010
Hello. I'm new to web design, but like in every thing i try out, i always plan to excell.
I'm learning dreamweaver 8, and even though its new to me, its been in existence for a while and as such i'm sure we'll have pro's here.
I'll like to present my problems with dreamweaver here from time to time, and i trust you guys to help me out.
My question for today is. . .
When does one use TABLES and when does one use LAYERS?
Can one use only layers throughout the website without using tables?
Thanks
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by DualCore1: 11:14pm On Feb 14, 2010
My opinion, which may work for you!
To excel in this path you have chosen, you have to start from the ground and build your way to the top.
Start from the basics.
Here's a good place to start, www.w3schools.com

To answer your question. Frankly I cannot remember what Dreamweaver calls Layers but I'm hoping its DIVs.
If I'm correct about what dreamweaver calls Layers, read on! If not, end your reading here cuz all that will follow will be complete crap.

Tables are used to present data in Rows and Columns. That is what I know about tables. It is left to you and every other person to use their imagination and creativity to know what to put in rows and columns. Build facebook with tables if you want tongue. Build an airplane with Tables if you want. As long as its the solution to a problem, fine! You'll get paid smiley

Layers are layers. You lay things in a cascading pattern and position them with CSS. The question as to whether you can build an entire site with layers as against using any tables, I really cannot answer cuz I do not want to start a tables-are-outdated war. We've seen too many already. As far as I know and as of this writing the <table>, <td> and <tr> tags are not deprecated tags and are therefore to be used at the discretion of each web designer.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by Ceekay(m): 12:23pm On Feb 15, 2010
Well said dualcore, but first things first
I'd like to learn dreamweaver first.

Pls can anyone provide me links where i can download pdf files of tutorials on fireworks 8. i will appreciate greatly
Thanks
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by biggjoe(m): 1:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
Is it dreamweaver you want to learn or is it fireworks?
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by DualCore1: 1:23pm On Feb 15, 2010
There's nothing like learning dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver is a development environment. You don't learn how to use the development environment when you havnt learnt how things are developed in that environment.

Dreamweaver is not like Microsoft Word, Excel or even Fireworks.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by Ceekay(m): 6:55pm On Feb 15, 2010
@Dual core
There's an awful lot on the site you redirected me to, so which do i learn first and in what order?
I'm currently learning c++ and wanted to diversify into web based applications. I decided to experiment with dreamweaver before i learn whats behind it (the code)
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by DualCore1: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2010
Traditionally this is the order:

xHTML
CSS
Javascript

at this point you can branch into any serverside language like php, asp etc.
and MySQL
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by Ceekay(m): 12:46am On Feb 16, 2010
Cheese and Rice! grin
@Dual core,
Thanks for getting me going. I hope w3schools isnt oversimplifying html, cos if thats what it is, then its all cool. Learnt loads already! grin
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by askphantom(m): 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
@ceekay

Follow DualCore's advice. Dump dreamweaver start with notepad and w3school. Html and css for a start. That should be your foundation. dreamweaver will be like taking candy from a baby.

have fun learning and if you get hooked, always come here for help.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by StanIyke(m): 12:09pm On Feb 17, 2010
hey bro, the best Thing to do is 2 go 2 www.w3schools.com for Css Tutorials is very easy 2 learn and apply, Then wat ever thing u do not understand up dia cum down here 4 help. Stay bless.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by StanIyke(m): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2010
hey bro, the best Thing to do is 2 go 2 www.w3schools.com for Css Tutorials is very easy 2 learn and apply, Then wat ever thing u do not understand up dia cum down here 4 help. Stay bless.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by Ceekay(m): 2:00am On Feb 20, 2010
@Dual core,
I now see what you meant when you said i should learn html first,
he he! grin
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by stillgrds(m): 12:25pm On Feb 20, 2010
May I come in here. I wanted to start with dream weaver but I got daulcore's advice to go to www.3shools.com. I started HTML lessons. Also, www.functionx.com has got tutorials for web developers. will on the lessons, I wanted to see how dream weaver does these same things. I found out that dream weaver makes things easy but only if you know what HTML codes to use and what to do with them.

So, in simple terms, dualcore (If I get him right) wants wanabee web developers to know the "ingredients" (HTML,CSS,Java script) for "cooking up" a webpage before using suffisticated "kitchen utensils" (dream weaver) to do the "cooking" of the webpage.

I just hope I got it right. Anyway, webpage development is fun.
Re: Help: My Little Dreamweaver Headaches! by DualCore1: 12:41pm On Feb 20, 2010
stillgrds:

So, in simple terms, dualcore (If I get him right) wants wanabee web developers to know the "ingredients" (HTML,CSS,Java script) for "cooking up" a webpage before using suffisticated "kitchen utensils" (dream weaver) to do the "cooking" of the webpage.
Gbam!

Just know how its done, then you can use any tool to get it done.

(1) (Reply)

Utbags - Louis Vuitton Trevi Pm Bag / Gurus Diary|the Internet World / Tory Burch Flats Lead The Fashion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.