Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:45 PM

Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS (1271 Views)

Top 10 Best Linux OS For Penetration Testing, Security Or Hacking / Jealous Of Linux And Tired Of WINDOWS OS, Setup Your Windows To Work Like Linux / 5 Reasons Why Real Hackers Prefer Linux OS To Windows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 12, 2017
I realized most programmers and developers prefer the Linux operating system I.e ubuntu and the likes over the windows operating system Any reasons for these, if you use Linus you can educate on the advantages as well

Cc pcguru1
Desyner
Olyboy1
Javanian
badthinds
Seun
Larisoft
Cryptocoinr
Danielthegeek
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 13, 2017
bjhaid:
I realized most programmers and developers prefer the Linux operating system I.e ubuntu and the likes over the windows operating system Any reasons for these, if you use Linus you can educate on the advantages as well

Cc pcguru1
Desyner
Olyboy1
Javanian
badthinds
Seun
Larisoft
Cryptocoinr
Danielthegeek

Let's just say am used to Linux and its closer to the server am gonna deploy to, but that advantage is gone as Windows 10 has an Ubuntu subsystem

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Desyner: 12:32am On Aug 13, 2017
I am a windows person for now. I just settled with it cos it was 'cheap' and available when I started.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Nobody: 12:34am On Aug 13, 2017
Desyner:
I am a windows person for now. I just settled with it cos it was 'cheap' and available when I started.

Cheap ke Linux is free
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Desyner: 12:39am On Aug 13, 2017
pcguru1:

Cheap ke Linux is free
When you buy windows of N30k for N200 in 2010 it will feel like free. That's why I put the cheap in quote.
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by CryptoCoinr(f): 1:31am On Aug 13, 2017
Desyner:

Strange. I've never had to buy an OS in and of itself.
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by CryptoCoinr(f): 1:33am On Aug 13, 2017
bjhaid:

Cc pcguru1
Desyner
Olyboy1
Javanian
badthinds
Seun
Larisoft
Cryptocoinr
Danielthegeek

I'm a Windows guy. As far as web dev goes, it's MacOS not Linux that the tutors prefer. You can spend hours trying to set up your system just to match a tutorial, I know I have.
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by seunny4lif(m): 5:05am On Aug 13, 2017
With Linux, I don't need to update antivirus
Most Java developers uses Linux
Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by badthinds: 10:14am On Aug 13, 2017
That was those days. These days, apart from the cross-platform of 'everything' you can even mimic any operating system on another.

But, why programmers (some) prefer linux to windows.
1. Individual differences
2. The fact that linux was originally closer to the Mr. Developer unlike the windows 0S.
3. Shell-scripting (windows too...kind of)
4. Some other minors

Summary:
The fact is that linux is closer to the Mr. Dev. (having used the two - some may not be able to explain, but they know it).
Then you may agree with me that linux is more secure.

If i'm to choose for someone (a programmer) I'll choose linux...he/she may thank me later.
Linux is better jorr. (my opinion). I'm a fan of linux.

4 Likes

Re: Advantages Of The Linux OS Over The Windows OS by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 13, 2017
In fact I can say for the past 4 years on my system I've only logged in to Windows like 15 times but at the office I have no choice. Every box at work or remote I connect too is via ssh and its always a Unix box. Those doing shared hosting might not get but sometimes you need to install stuff like redis, and some tools that assist with PHP frameworks like Symfony and Laravel would require lot of Unix especially if you doing that vagrant stuff or docker.

(1) (Reply)

Just Launched My Android Game On Google Play / #icodeinwarri / Help With CSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.