Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? (2018 Views)

9-Year-Old Homeless Girl Feeds Feaces To Baby Of Lady That Rescued Her / Who Is To Be Blamed, Husband Or Wife? ( Picture) / Indecency Among Today's Youth : Who Is To Be Blamed ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Feb 15, 2010
There are so many homeless in USA, Canada, UK and others, meanwhile, they have access to Shelters, social welfare and all that, so whose fault is it that some are still sleeping on the street.
I could understand the one in Nigeria, cos no job, no money.
Please, discuss this, who is to be blamed?
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Feb 15, 2010
man, its all down to them (in most cases). . . . . . . . . . i know many who take the money that they get and go and get drunk/high with the money they were suppose to pay the rent with.

also many prefer the life on the street (as hard as it may seem) and cant really conform to 9 to 5 lifestyle.

the problem we also have to understand is that not all landlords want to rent to people living on welfare so it may be difficult to find cheap decent housing and the street might be better than shelters or rat infested homes. . . . . . . to some.

and last but not least, some of them living on the street make damn good money begging (sometimes up to 100$/day)
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Feb 15, 2010
I do agree with that they make good money, but cant they rent in a separate part of the city and the peddle on other side of the street.
I think it is just sad to see people go thru all that kinda life.
Some landlord dont wanna rent to them, and that is why there are shelters
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 15, 2010
but why should they travel all across the city when they can just put a clothe on the floor and sleep there so that they can just wake up and continue their "trade"?

laziness is also part of it but they only have themselves to blame because any man/woman who has 2good hands/feet and a brain can find a job. it might not be the funky sexy job that everyone desires but its a J O B anyway.

I know many people in the UK who would prefer to go and sign on their DHSS rather than to bust their a$$es working from 9 to 5 to get exactly the same money they would have gotten from the DHSS.
the problem is that they dont really see the implication of that action.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by madlady(f): 7:04pm On Feb 15, 2010
^^ Sadly what you say is the truth in most cases.

Of course you do have the few who slip threw the net due to no fault of their own but I believe any job is better than not working.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Fhemmmy: 7:05pm On Feb 15, 2010
Yeah, any job is better than no job at all, but the environment they live is what bothers me.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
i remember once, back in San Francisco, i was surprised how many beggars they had over there and how ALL of them where "Vietnam vet".
anyway so one guy asked me for some change so i looked in my pocket and gave him all the coins that i had. lo and behold the guy looked at the money and threw it back at me, I WAS SO SHOCKED!!!!!
in Europe we rarely give notes because the smallest note is either 5€ or 5pounds while the smallest in the states is 1$ which is the minimum that these guys "demand or expect".
i asked him what was wrong and the guy's reply was:"what am i gonna do with this?"
i felt insulted and picked up my coins on the floor and walked away, if 75cents is too small for them then the street is definitely not the right place to be at!
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by madlady(f): 7:20pm On Feb 15, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Yeah, any job is better than no job at all, but the environment they live is what bothers me.

It makes my heart bleed when I see them on the streets.

I am one of those ppls who cannot pass them without giving, even if I am short I tell myself, better to give them than buy the thing I
    intended to get for myself, I can live without it.

MRbrownjay is correct in that some make a living begging, the chap at my local train station goes straight from his begging spot to the
    OFF LICENCE. To show you how proficient he his at it, when he see's me coming he starts this big line on how wonderful I look today,
    if he put his sharp mind to it, I bet he could get a better job than I.

Wops I need to set my laptop up!
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by agabaI23(m): 7:24pm On Feb 15, 2010
madlady:

It makes my heart bleed when I see them on the streets.

I am one of those ppls who cannot pass them without giving, even if I am short I tell myself, better to give them than buy the thing I
intended to get for myself, I can live without it.

MRbrownjay is correct in that some make a living begging, the chap at my local train station goes straight from his begging spot to the
OFF LICENCE. To show you how proficient he his at it, when he see's me coming he starts this big line on how wonderful I look today,
if he put his sharp mind to it, I bet he could get a better job than I.
Aww, I knew it.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by agabaI23(m): 7:25pm On Feb 15, 2010
I don't give 1k anymore to anybody that can work but chose to beg. I don't condemn them either becuase it is their choice
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Feb 15, 2010
I thought I was the only one who notice this, seriously the thing is pathetic, I mean countries like USA London, Austrialia etc helping
other people in need why their own people are suffering it just beat my imagination. There is something seriously wrong on a global level too, because there is enough food in those developed countries , so why ain't the hungry people able to get it.? those are questions that hunt
my mind, and I really need answers, this thread is indeed very important.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by madlady(f): 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2010
agabaI23:

I don't give 1k anymore to anybody that can work but chose to beg. I don't condemn them either becuase it is their choice

I am trying to harden my heart to street beggars, they seem to have turned it into a career

But I will always give to RED CROSS
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by agabaI23(m): 8:25pm On Feb 15, 2010
madlady:

I am trying to harden my heart to street beggars, they seem to have turned it into career

But I will always give to RED CROSS
Red cross is OK. But seeing a guy who possibly goes to the gym asking me for money is ridiculous. A pregnant woman begger in front of a club was asked for who impregnated her, she said he was at home. Doing what, sleeping while the wife was outside begging.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 15, 2010
the ones i hate the most (and the new trend) are the ones sitting next to the cash machine/ATMs!!!!!!
what do they expect from us?! LOL!!!

they must be thinking:" well he just came out of the bank so he most definitely has spare change for me".
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by madlady(f): 9:21pm On Feb 15, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

the ones i hate the most (and the new trend) are the ones sitting next to the cash machine/ATMs!!!!!!

they must be thinking:" well he just came out of the bank so he most definitely has spare change for me".

Oh gosh now those bunch of criminals really do not move me, they ask before you even start to tap your pin number in, they think you will get an extra tenner out for them shhhhhhhhhhhh.

Really we should not give to street beggars but sadly what if it were someone in real need undecided.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by dominique(f): 11:23pm On Feb 15, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

now thats what i call day light robbery!
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Outstrip(f): 12:00am On Feb 16, 2010
Many of the homeless people actually have some other issue like mental illness, drug addiction, alchoholism etc. There are still some that have just fallen on hard times. The ones who just don't want to do anything with their lives and roam the streets when they are not mentally unstable are very few
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Pittbaby(f): 9:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
Many of the homeless people actually have some other issue like mental illness, drug addiction, alchoholism etc. There are still some that have just fallen on hard times. The ones who just don't want to do anything with their lives and roam the streets when they are not mentally unstable are very few

my thoughts exactly , also add to the fact that homeless people are not neccesarily only those that look like hobos and live in card bord boxes most of those are actually addicts or mentally ill. A home less person may be sleeping in their car or even moving frm shelter to shelter. You must note that there a more people who have fallen on hard times than shelters can accomodate in most cases , especially with the recession and high rate of unemployment
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Outstrip(f): 9:38pm On Feb 16, 2010
You are right
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Ndipe(m): 10:49pm On Feb 16, 2010
Personally, homelessness is a cause that is dear to my heart and when I moved to the USA newly, I was shocked by the high rate of homeless people in the country. I sometimes wonder why this country would spend billions of dollars in aid while neglecting their own citizens. I wont judge them, but there are some who I think have made a career out of it. In San Francisco, there are some corners that are staked out by some homeless people, where, even new comers cant even approach the angles without being attacked. I dont know, could it be the bad economy or mental illness? One could fall on hardtimes which could drain out your own savings. But I have to tell you a particular case that struck me.

In downtown, there is this panhandler who's been begging for money. I have been touched by his plight so you can imagine my suprise when I walked into my bank this very year and I saw this homeless man. Upon inquiry, the teller told me that he probably came to deposit some money into his account. I relayed my findings to him and he told me that some homeless people do have accounts and a former co-worker of mine had told me of finding a homeless fellow/fellows dining on christmas cookies at a hotel in San Francisco. Best bet, either buy them a meal or donate to an agency that supports them.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Outstrip(f): 11:25pm On Feb 16, 2010
There was a guy that held up a sign saying that he was a Vet so I gave him money at the traffic light. He actually had one of those temporary cast thing on his leg. Do you know like a few days later I saw the man on my to church with the same kind of cast thing on his arm. Obviously he wears different things to gain sympathy. I am aware though that many vets are actually homeless so I don't feel bad that I gave him money. He might really be a vet but has to resort to lying to get help
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 12:17am On Feb 17, 2010
see this scammer busted!!!!

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krg5r6n0kr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 17, 2010
part 2 of this scam:

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47sOYT4_9lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 17, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

i remember once, back in San Francisco, i was surprised how many beggars they had over there and how ALL of them where "Vietnam vet".
anyway so one guy asked me for some change so i looked in my pocket and gave him all the coins that i had. lo and behold the guy looked at the money and threw it back at me, I WAS SO SHOCKED!!!!!
in Europe we rarely give notes because the smallest note is either 5€ or 5pounds while the smallest in the states is 1$ which is the minimum that these guys "demand or expect".
[b]i asked him what was wrong and the guy's reply was:"what am i gonna do with this?"
[/b]i felt insulted and picked up my coins on the floor and walked away, if 75cents is too small for them then the street is definitely not the right place to be at!

looooooooool
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Outstrip(f): 2:35am On Feb 17, 2010
I remember my college counselor told me one time that she always offers to buy them lunch because she does not want them to use her money to buy drugs. She said she offered to buy one of them McDonalds and he said he prefers chinese. I still think about it an laugh but it does not stop me from helping when I can
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by vivaladiva(f): 6:55am On Feb 17, 2010
we cnt n we wnt all live in houses even if it is free----some pips jst like the fresh cold air---natural wanderers they r called
in economics there is somin called the natural rate of unemployment, which simply means that at each and every wage rate i.e the min wage there will always be a certain nos of people unwilling to work, but people must survive some how, so they r given state benefits 4 two main reasons
1 to stop them frm stealing n there fore becoming a burden on society
2 to encourage consumption, because thru somin called a multiplier every one pound u spend might generate ten pounds, depending on the size of the multiplier
i know i have diverged a lil, in a nutshell people will hardly ever say no to money but u cnt choose wat they spend it on
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by ima1(f): 7:56am On Feb 17, 2010
there are some people who are homeless and can't help it, but its those who are pretending to be homeless that are annoying, sometimes you see people who could work for money but decide to beg.

i remember watching a show on tv about homeless kids that run away from their homes, some of them were from rich families, but there was a statement on of the kids made that stuck to me and made me think twice. he said "he didn't want to get a job because he didn't want to get stuck under the man (work)" and would rather prefer to beg.
it got me thinking. do you expect me to work and be under the man 40hrs a week and then give my sweat and labor to you.

i feel bad for those who are really homeless and try to help when i can, but if i see someone who can work but chooses not to, then i think twice.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On Feb 17, 2010
ima1:

there are some people who are homeless and can't help it, but its those who are pretending to be homeless that are annoying, sometimes you see people who could work for money but decide to beg.

i remember watching a show on tv about homeless kids that run away from their homes, some of them were from rich families, but there was a statement on of the kids made that stuck to me and made me think twice. he said "he didn't want to get a job because he didn't want to get stuck under the man (work)" and would rather prefer to beg.
it got me thinking. do you expect me to work and be under the man 40hrs a week and then give my sweat and labor to you.

i feel bad for those who are really homeless and try to help when i can, but if i see someone who can work but chooses not to, then i think twice.

Explain that to me, i beg
Cos i see no reason why they shd be homeless in western world, there are so many assistance and all that.
help me understand
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Outstrip(f): 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Explain that to me, i beg
Cos i see no reason why they shd be homeless in western world, there are so many assistance and all that.
help me understand

A man loses his job and cannot find another especially in times like this. They might have to live out of their cars. Shelters are great but can be dangerous especially when you have kids. Some people might have their child sleep at a friends for the night and they thmselves sleep outside. People live like this until they get back on their feet. Some are on drugs and never get back on their feet. The west is not Utopia.
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by Fhemmmy: 7:48pm On Feb 22, 2010
Outstrip:

A man loses his job and cannot find another especially in times like this. They might have to live out of their cars. Shelters are great but can be dangerous especially when you have kids. Some people might have their child sleep at a friends for the night and they thmselves sleep outside. People live like this until they get back on their feet. Some are on drugs and never get back on their feet. The west is not Utopia.

Shelters are dangerous and yet, same man might wanna live in his car, which one is better?
Besides, there is social allowances that will take care of the rents and basic needs for the month.
So i am yet to understand why they have to be homeless
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by agathamari(f): 9:56pm On Feb 22, 2010
@poster.  you have 4 types of homeless people regardless of west or not
you have the drug addicts/drunks who drink/snort/shootup/smoke away what money they get from pan handeling
you have the mentaly damaged- these could be anything from schitzophrenics off thier meds to ex-military with PTSD
you have the ones who do so by choice (yes they exist, one lived in my town where i went to hs, he gave up a college professor job because he couldnt deal with the materialistic ideas of society and lived in the woods behind blockbuster, he later froze to death)
the last group is those who find them selves homless due to misfortune (lost thier jobs because of the economy or medical reasons)

yes there are shelters, but these shelters do not have enough beds for the homeless people, many times you actualy have to "reserve" a bed (one day at a time) and if you are lucky enough to get a bed you must abide by the rules of the shelter (dictate whether or not you can bring personal belongins, pets, whatnot) and are extremly dangerous.  at times if you have young children they report you to child welfare.

yes there is a social welfare system but it isnt perfect.  unemployment is not garunteed, you have to have a previous job that lasted atleast 6 month, ther are only certain reasons as to why you could lose that job and qualify and your previos employer can protest you recieving unemployment (walmart is notorious for this).  other systems like foodstamps, welfare, wic, medicare are difficult to get.  thusands of people fall through the cracks every year. 

an old coworker of mine was diagnosed with ms.  she lost her job later her apartment and car because she couldnt work due to her condition.  she qualified only for food stamps nothing else.  she lived with people from her church to keep from living on the streets.  she eventualy found someone who was willing to let her live on her couch  (still there).  its not as easy to get help as you think.   the system is broken
Re: Homeless In Western World - Who Is To Be Blamed ? by mamagee3(f): 1:43am On Feb 23, 2010
The Government should be blamed. . .
Cause they are the cause of homelessness in the Country
Although Nigeria's government are bunch of criminals
!

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Nigerian Bro Charged 4 Kidnapping & Sexually Assaulting A 15yrs Old Girl In Us / Eight-year-old Boy Marries 61-year-old Woman / A Bro/friend/son Seriously Needs Your Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.