Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,136 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine (13452 Views)

Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by obafemee80(m): 6:17am On Aug 14, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/8461/gEmZAa.jpg[/img]
[img]http:///a/img924/6321/0D7prm.jpg[/img]

Most cars are parked near footpaths or in basement parkings that are close to drains/gutters.Drains harbor entire rat colonies and in the rains,or when it’s breeding time,rats prefer warm and cozy spots like the engine bay of a car to a damp drain.

Rodents are everywhere,and some are likely to invade your vehicle and do some damages.They can find your car,decide it is a safe place to make a nest and a handy site to store food.If you can discourage them,you may win the battle.

How do rats enter the engine bay and cabin?
One point of access is from the wheel well along the axles and into the engine bay. Favorite hiding spots for rats in the engine bay are behind the battery,under the engine cover, between the headlamps,radiator and so on.

Getting into the cabin is actually a matter of luck,even for the rat.Most cabins are well-insulated,but there are spots like the fresh-air vent of the AC or the rubber grommets on floor-mounted pedals that can let rats in. Sometimes a rat will simply walk in when you’re not looking and have your door open.

What damage can rats do?
Rats can do a lot of damage.They love chewing things and cars with plenty of wires offer a lot to chew on.In the engine bay,they bite hoses,belts,wires,bulb holders,rubber inserts,felt linings,fasteners and the like. Some rats,once inside,can’t get out,as the AC fresh air vent from which it entered may have closed.
Some of these parts can’t be replaced individually and would involve changing a whole unit.Cut wirings can result in blown fuses and short circuits,and the damage can be very expensive.They also urinate and defecate in their hideouts,which can also add to the foul smell in the car.
Here are some successful measures rat damage victims have tried,especially in combination.Multiple lines of defense seem to work best.
1)Do not let the car sit unused.
Drive it once in a while.The sound and heat from the engine can scare the rats away from the engine bay.

2)Block small entrances to the engine compartment with wire screen.Some car owners place traps around the vehicle or on top of the wheels,since rats climb wheels to get into the engine.

3)Remove food sources and clear all foodstuffs near and also from your car so the rats won’t be tempted to turn your car into a warehouse.

4)Remove or seal off rat hiding places near the car.
If you have a garage,block rat-sized entrances to the building,or spray them with substances or solutions that rats hate.

5)Stroll around the vehicle with your dog or cat.Rats dislike their smell.Cats can be released in the evening time to scare away the rats.

6)Tobacco leaf can be placed inside the bonnet where ever possible.You may have to change them every 20 days or so.

6)Hot pepper can be put around the area where the rats are living or near the wires you find they are chewing up wiring.

7)Get some wire mesh to seal off fresh-air vents to the cabin,if your car does not have it.

8 )Avoid putting rat poison inside car,as most probably the rats in their agony will get into the various tubes(mostly AC ducts)and might die inside,causing lots of problems.You will detect them only after you have a very bad smell of their dead body.

Tackling a rat attack
Rats leave their marks,like most animals,by urinating at many places,specifically those which are difficult to clean.Scrub every hose, every wire,every inch of your engine bay squeaky clean.Else,their urine,which is neutral to human nose,will keep on attracting them,in bigger and bigger numbers.

Change your parking spot,at least for a week and completely disinfect your parking spot.

What other ways do you suggest?

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Mice-in-Your-Motor
https://autojosh.com/ways-getting-rid-rats-mice-car-engine/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by nairayouthcom(m): 6:19am On Aug 14, 2017
love this article

in other new checkout

50 THINGS LADIES MUST KNOW ABOUT MEN

http://9naija.com.ng/top-stories/50-things-ladies-must-know-men
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by potent5(m): 6:27am On Aug 14, 2017
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Aldebaran(m): 6:29am On Aug 14, 2017
Nice..
Thanks OP kiss
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Akiak: 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
Ok
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Rexphobia(m): 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
Na so

I don get rid of rat from my house first?

Not applicable to us

2 Likes

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by helphelp: 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
Charcoal has done wonders for me

2 Likes

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by nony43(m): 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
I will just keep my Cat behind of my tires.
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by ameri9ja: 7:18am On Aug 14, 2017
I
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Nobody: 7:18am On Aug 14, 2017
Found a snake in my dad's car once upon a time... I killed it.

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Witlee(m): 7:20am On Aug 14, 2017
Warm your car morning and night
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 14, 2017
Good one.......
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by millhouse: 7:21am On Aug 14, 2017
Rat Again? Of what use are these creatures to mother earth sef
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by ivolt: 7:21am On Aug 14, 2017
Nma27:

As if you can kill a cockroach ?

3 Likes

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by GabrielYulaw(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
Nma27:

you a girl killed a snake? na Lala you use kill am?

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by SilverG33k(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2017
Nma27:
Lies, lies everywhere
Wehdone ma, the cochroach that will scare the hell outta you tonight is still eating breakfast...

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Tunndeh(m): 7:26am On Aug 14, 2017
Thank for this
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 14, 2017
GabrielYulaw:

you a girl killed a snake? na Lala you use kill am?
So a girl cannot kill a snake huh? Well, I took it by the tail and flung it hard on the ground...God's must be crazy style wink
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by labanji(m): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2017
My distasteful Rat experience.
Lol,
Considering my first car as a case study.
I travelled out of lagos for days, On getting back, I fixed the battery(Charged), rolled the ignition but it didn't start.
I called my mechanic, called one rewire but still to no avail.
After several attempts, I was advised to get a good rewire. On getting to fix the car, he did some mechanic and electric testing, Somehow, he started removing the inner dashboard, brought it down and to our greatest surprise rats have voraciously fed on virtually all the wires in my car.
It was a tough one but eventually the ingenuity of the rewire really helped.
Several wires were changed, some were patched and hours of time was spent on fixing.
All in all, it was rectified. Since then, I've been extra cautious in keeping my car near gutters, bin areas or keeping it stationary for days.

Beware of this nauseating creatures.

2 Likes

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Nobody: 7:33am On Aug 14, 2017
A cat turned my neighbors Parked four runner to its crib o. Dem try rat poison e no die
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by xchrisss90(m): 7:34am On Aug 14, 2017
just go to a place the the sell original foriegn parts, look for humidri(silica jel). drop it anywhere that you dont need to see a rat. thats the only one way of killing and scaring rats away without smelling or coming back again.
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by diportivo: 7:34am On Aug 14, 2017
Most cars are parked near footpaths or in basement parkings that are close to drains/gutters.Drains harbor entire rat colonies and in the rains,or when it’s breeding time,rats prefer warm and cozy spots like the engine bay of a car to a damp drain.

oyinbo article angry

na main road we dey park for oshodi undecided
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Goddygee(m): 7:42am On Aug 14, 2017
Lol, Evil Rats, of all place na engine he see to take shelter...;: (

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by xreal: 7:42am On Aug 14, 2017
I need this.

It's so embarrassing.
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by wrench: 7:43am On Aug 14, 2017
helphelp:
Please How?

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by okwyee(m): 7:45am On Aug 14, 2017
how can rats be in a car engine, if they weren't sent from your village people?
end time rats. Hercules mouse rat catcher always to the rescue anytime any day..
If you don't know it and you have rats disturbing you in you house, you're missing something big. grin grin
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Nigeriadondie: 7:46am On Aug 14, 2017
wink Wetin rat they find for motor. If them send am the rat miss road and the heat of the engine go burn am or d cat of God go chop am grin
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by Zeroid105: 7:50am On Aug 14, 2017
helphelp:
Really?
Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by anytexy: 8:02am On Aug 14, 2017
helphelp:
You want me to ask you how before you expatiate abi? Okay. How? LOLs

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by freebreezeyz(m): 8:03am On Aug 14, 2017
Please guys any more ideas? its as if this topic was meant for me as they are seriously bombarding my engine.

The guy that says Charcoal, please do explain further. I have always heard of pepper but not to sure of which pepper.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine by IBreakRules: 8:24am On Aug 14, 2017
helphelp:
How? Pls enlighten me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help: My Peugeot 206 is having a BSI issue. / Why Are Nigerian Car Dealers So Greedy?! / Difference Between 4 And 6 Cylinder Engines?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.