Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery (5763 Views)

INNOSON IKENGA: Innoson To Unveil New Car Named After Dr Dozie Ikedife / 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed / 5 Signs That Indicates You Need Your Tyre Replaced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by mokoshalb(m): 6:32am On Aug 14, 2017
Getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead car battery is every motorist's worst nightmare. The ordeal gets even worse when the power cannot be restored with jumper cables. A truly dead battery will almost certainly require roadside assistance and possible even a towing service. When all is said and done, the breakdown could end up costing you hundreds of dollars, as well as several hours of your day. Here are five signs that you may need to take preventative action soon.

1. Engine Is Slow To Crank

When you try to start the engine and it's slow to turn over, the problem is almost certainly electrical. Although the culprit could very well be a poor connection in the starter or starting circuit, the issue often comes does to a charging system shortfall. There's also a chance something could be draining the power when the vehicle is parked. Either way, you should schedule an inspection with your mechanic ASAP.

2. Check Engine Light Appears

There are dozens of reasons why the dreaded check engine light might illuminate on your dashboard. One fairly common culprit, especially in older vehicles, is inadequate electrical power. When a low charge puts the vehicle in danger of breaking down, the engine light will come on. Once again, the charge should be tested by a qualified mechanic to ensure adequate electrical output.

3. Damaged Case

When a battery's casing looks bloated or swollen, it's often a sign it has been exposed to excessive heat. These high engine temps have been known to greatly reduce the life of the unit. As such, drivers should check the case from time to time to make sure it's in good shape.

4. Leaking or Low Fluid

When the unit leaks fluid, it can easily cause corrosion around the posts, which prevents the electrical system from making a strong connection. In other words, the gunk may prevent your vehicle from starting. It is also true that when the battery fluid falls below the lead plates that conduct electricity, the unit may not work. As such, the charge should always be tested when it looks like the fluid level has fallen too low.

5. Old Age

Contrary to popular belief, the average car battery won't last for the life of your vehicle. In most cases, modern units are tested at around three years. After that point, they should be inspected on an annual basis. We should also mention that your driving habits could shorten or extend the period between replacements.

Because the unit will not have enough time to fully recharge, short trips (less than 20 minutes) have been shown to decrease lifespan. And, as we mentioned, extreme temperatures can also reduce the longevity considerably. This is true of both extreme heat and extreme cold. Drivers should also avoid things that may drain their batteries (leaving the lights, fan, and radio on), since constant recharging can negatively affect longevity.

If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, have your car battery tested as soon as possible.

More: https://www.mokoshalb.com/
mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by mokoshalb(m): 6:33am On Aug 14, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Austindark(m): 7:16am On Aug 14, 2017
Nice one sir

But Please, help us also with "5 signs that is time to change the president "

5 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by rbd79(m): 7:17am On Aug 14, 2017
GOOD
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Gizer: 7:20am On Aug 14, 2017
Also drains quickly in the morning especially during cold weather.
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by nairayouthcom(m): 7:21am On Aug 14, 2017
in other new checkout
50 THINGS LADIES MUST KNOW ABOUT MEN
http://9naija.com.ng/top-stories/50-things-ladies-must-know-men
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by SilverG33k(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2017
Ok
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by EagleScribes: 7:50am On Aug 14, 2017
If the battery requires often recharging from battery charger more often than not, start saving for a new battery
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Benjom(m): 8:15am On Aug 14, 2017
Informative

Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Feranchek(m): 8:18am On Aug 14, 2017
nairayouthcom:
in other new checkout
50 THINGS LADIES MUST KNOW ABOUT MEN
http://9naija.com.ng/top-stories/50-things-ladies-must-know-men
50 things ncha!!! Na so we complex reash??!!
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by donqx: 9:16am On Aug 14, 2017
check the hole if it doesn't shows green
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Gourdoinc(m): 9:19am On Aug 14, 2017
please people I have bought 5batteries in a span of 4months. I always thought something in the car is draining or damaging them. but my alternator is sound as have been checked numerous times. could it simply be that I have been unfortunate with buying fake batteries. could anyone recommend a high grade battery in could depend on? all batteries I have bought which have failed me were all in the range of 26k. my car is abandoned now because the most recent one, has failed to start it and even after I jump start it retains no charge after I drive it around for 30mins. thanks

mind you, all Dem batteries are green at their holes. thanks
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by madgoat(m): 12:25pm On Aug 14, 2017
Gourdoinc:
please people I have bought 5batteries in a span of 4months. I always thought something in the car is draining or damaging them. but my alternator is sound as have been checked numerous times. could it simply be that I have been unfortunate with buying fake batteries. could anyone recommend a high grade battery in could depend on? all batteries I have bought which have failed me were all in the range of 26k. my car is abandoned now because the most recent one, has failed to start it and even after I jump start it retains no charge after I drive it around for 30mins. thanks

mind you, all Dem batteries are green at their holes. thanks

Please give me one of the batteries to use. God will bless you.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Experience4u(m): 2:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
I want to buy battery but I need recommendation on quality product and how to note an original battery, any one with useful information should Pls oblige me. Thanks
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by Gourdoinc(m): 2:59pm On Aug 14, 2017
madgoat:

Please give me one of the batteries to use. God will bless you.
what will u be using them for. I just said its bad
Re: 5 Signs That It's Time For A New Car Battery by madgoat(m): 5:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
Gourdoinc:
what will u be using them for. I just said its bad

Well i am sure it will power my car

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Honda Accord 2008-2011 Sold Cheaply??? / Samples Of Vehicle History Report Types You Should Know Of ....Donot Be Deceived / Are You Always Conscious Of The Value Of Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.