Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

African Proverbs You Dont Know - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Proverbs You Dont Know (721 Views)

Proverbs From The Streets Of Warri / African Proverbs / Some Hilarious Pidgin English Proverbs To Crack You Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

African Proverbs You Dont Know by poundsanddollars(f): 9:13am On Aug 14, 2017
Akan or Twi proverbs are more than wise sayings.

They have a wide range of uses and show, principally, that the user is wise and well-educated in the customs of the Akan people. The ability to use language enriched by proverbs is considered sage and is the hallmark of great public speaking.

I present fifty important Akan proverbs. I have adjudged them important for being popular, versatile, and particularly demonstrative of Akan philosophy and thought. As this is just my opinion, it is completely fair for others to compile a different list.

Also, the meanings and remarks are from my own learning and experience so the scope of some of the discussions is limited to a few use cases.

Each proverb appears under a heading. Unfortunately, it appears better to make the anglicised spellings of the proverbs rather than the correct Twi spellings the headings. This is because most people are unwilling or unable to type the letters er and or with their keyboards when searching for Akan proverbs on the web.

Below are the fifty sayings with their literal meanings and some remarks in English. Watch.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=762306490624213&id=516541005200764

(1) (Reply)

Anyone Bored And Up For Chatting? / Our HIDDEN Culture-food And Colour / Alaafin Of Oyo Shows He Is Still Strong As He Displays Acrobatic Skill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.