Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them (15936 Views)

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life / This Lady Was Fired For Being Too Pretty In London (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by insidifyguru: 4:54pm On Aug 14, 2017
In an ideal world, you wouldn’t have to guess whether or not you’re failing to hit the mark at work. Your boss would meet with you regularly to supply open and honest feedback, and you could nip any emerging problems in the bud as soon as they flag them to you. But human beings are complex characters–whether your colleagues and superiors are afraid of confronting you with negative feedback, too busy to check in with you, or simply aren’t good at communicating, workplace grievances against you may pile up until eventually, they land you in hot water.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, sometimes we tend to simply judge ourselves too harshly. Perfectionists out there will often perceive harmless actions or poorly phrased comments from coworkers to be slights on their performance, causing them to work themselves up over nothing.

So between managers whose communication skills need improvement and your own self-doubt, how can you really tell if you need to get your act together at work? Here’s a few pointers to identify five issues that indicate you’re faltering at work, as well as advice on how to get back on track.

1. Your boss is noticeably blunter with you

When your manager is disappointed in your performance, it’s often hard for them to conceal it–usually. Their behavior or tone will shift in a noticeable way. A few indicators might be if your formerly friendly boss is getting agitated with you or is being more short or cold with you, or if they have become more aloof or seem to be avoiding any conversation with you except for essential communication. Sometimes this sign isn’t as clear depending on how your initial relationship with your boss was, but if you notice that they seem to avoid you, are sharp and short when answering your questions, and don’t engage in conversation with you outside of strictly business, it could be a sign they are getting ready to get rid of you or that an awkward conversation in a negative performance review is imminent.

The confrontation averse may be tempted to ignore these signs, but addressing the problem is essential if you want to get back in your manager’s good graces. You could say, ‘I notice that lately you seem less happy with my work. What can I do to change that?’ Then, listen as non-defensively as you can and take notes on what they want you to do.

Be up front and sit down with management to address any issues and see if it can be resolved before you get a negative review. If they have noticed that your performance isn’t what it used to be, you could explain yourself. If you’ve been unhappy or feeling unfulfilled, a simple conversation could lead to a promotion that could give you more responsibility and a sense of purpose again. It can be hard to sit down with management in these situations, but most likely you have nothing to lose, and it could be the opportunity for a major positive change.”

2. Your boss seems to trust you less with important work

You might be secretly rejoicing if your boss moves a few things off your plate, but beware: Rather than just giving you a break, this could be a sign that they don’t think you’re capable of managing your tasks. Employees who perform well are typically rewarded with more responsibility and more complex tasks, leading to career growth and paving the way for future. So if you suddenly notice your manager consistently passing you up and giving coveted assignments to your coworkers, or if your manager assigns you tasks that feel like a step backward, it may be an indication that you’ve lost their trust.

Before you confront your manager, think back and identify whether you made a recent error. Perhaps you missed a deadline without appropriate notification, didn’t take action when a problem occurred, or reacted in a non-constructive way in a tense situation. Then, do some damage control and own up to the mistake. Let your manager know you recognize what you did wrong, what you learned, and what you will do going forward. Taking ownership and bringing up the issue first helps with rebuilding trust.

3. You keep hearing the same negative feedback

No matter how hard you work, you’re bound to get some negative feedback. From to time–after all, there’s always room for improvement. So if you get the occasional reminder from your manager about something you could be doing better, you don’t need to sweat it. But if you consistently hear them bringing up the same issue over and over, it may be cause for concern.

Once your boss has talked to you about it a few times, if they don’t see the change they want to see, you can expect that a warning is on the way.

If you find yourself on the receiving end of repeated feedback, “Be sure you are very clear in your mind on what expected changes they are looking for or what goals/metrics they [want] you to hit before you get further warnings. Even if you are taking the right steps to address the issue at hand, make sure that you’re communicating that with your manager so they know that you are taking their feedback seriously and are working on overcoming challenges.

4. You can’t seem to get anything done

Everyone deals with bottlenecks at work–maybe your manager is dragging their heels on reviewing an essential document, or your department head shuts down your budget proposal. It’s perfectly normal for things like these to happen every once in a while, but if they become an everyday (or more) occurrence, you may want to examine things a little more closely.

Is it getting harder to arrange a time to meet with your boss? Are your requests constantly getting denied? Are you being given the most tedious tasks to complete? If so, this may be a sign that your supervisor is encouraging you to quit and avoiding the task of giving you constructive feedback.

If this sounds familiar, it’s time to get proactive about preventing roadblocks before they pop up. Take and set a regular step to check in with your boss and establish mutual expectations on how you engage. Ask for feedback and do so often . . . Focus on adding value, stay aware of the changing environment at work, and adapt to changing circumstances,” Gardner recommends. “While getting assigned more difficult, complex tasks over time is a good sign, feeling blocked at every turn is a definite red flag.”

https://discovery.insidify.com/4-signs-youre-going-to-get-fired-and-how-to-fix-them

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Narldon: 6:23pm On Aug 14, 2017

shocked

NwaAmaikpe

Come and see oo!!

It seems he wrote this for you

grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Divay22(f): 6:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
Sometimes it better you just leave with your head high up than for you to be told....
Just take it that, it's time to leave and move to the next level.
Don't worry God is preparing a better place for you......

From OAP to a BOSS
He took the bold step to resign before he was sacked...
And today that man is the owner of Crown FM and Kpoko FM..
Talking about The biggest boss...(if you reside in Delta state, warri precisely and you haven't heard of him,you wee soon be transferred to Sambisa forest angry)

12 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by 9jvirgin(m): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
I have been there.

My boss called the hotels I slept anytime I am out of station in Aba, Calabar, Bayelsa and Akwa-Ibom. The hotel managers called me to inform me that someone from our Lagos office had called them if I actually lodged with them. The hatred and onslaught was too much just because I stood up for the truth that my 400 workers in South-South deserves better wages and working tools.

I was so frustrated and bitter; I had to resign to pursue my dream. I am now 100 steps ahead today.

27 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by maxiuc(m): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
I try very hard to be the master in anything I plan to do

Where I work am not afraid of sack because I have proven to be the last bet

Holding my employer on hostage with ability to manage the little given to me

Work hard to the extent ur employers will scared of losing you

2 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by KayDEAN(m): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
3 good reasons are
1. you're attractive and don't give the boss some sugar

2. you are ugly, dress badly, smelly/bad mouth/english, disgracing the company

3. Your village people dabbing with your picture

See signature to connect your self internationally

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by OZAA(m): 6:24pm On Aug 14, 2017
5. KayDEAN: Quote Post
F
4. maxiuc(m): Quote Post
3. 9jvirgin(m): Quote Post
I have been thgere
2. Divay22(f): Quote Post
Ok
1. Narldon(f): Quote Post
Ok
SEE THEM SPACE BOOKERS

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Penalty82(m): 6:25pm On Aug 14, 2017
But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 14, 2017
ook
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Divay22(f): 6:27pm On Aug 14, 2017
OZAA:
2. Divay22(f): Quote Post
Ok
1. Narldon(f): Quote Post
Ok
SEE DEM
That's how we roll...but I'll modify thou

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by MhizzAJ(f): 6:27pm On Aug 14, 2017
okay
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by MVLOX(m): 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2017
So true
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by dakeskese(m): 6:30pm On Aug 14, 2017

hahahahahahahHHHahhaha

I laugh at this post.

I'll only read it if it reads:"four signs you are going to fire your workers and reasons to have mercy on them."

Am the boss here. I own this biz...
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Nobody: 6:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
That's why i say be a BOSS of your own, nobody can fire you.

SelfMade
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Sleyanya1(m): 6:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
sad angry
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by NwaAmaikpe: 6:32pm On Aug 14, 2017
Narldon:

shocked

NwaAmaikpe

Come and see oo!!

It seems he wrote this for you

grin

shocked

What's the fuss about being fired?

As long as you are not the owner of the company, you are just a mere passenger in a bus and someday when it gets to your bus-stop you'd come down.

The aim of everyone should be to be the boss and fire others.
There's no better joy than firing a staff and watching them look totally helpless without the job they never appreciated. That's unless its a Bini or Akwa-Ibom person oo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by iphi(m): 6:33pm On Aug 14, 2017
Its quite hard to resolve these issues. What if your own close pal or direct boss backlash you to the top boss and this pal is actually doing a fine job or the boss is looking for a way to bring in he's own person? My brother even if u wash plate for them they will still delete you...
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by ominilongest(m): 6:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
Fired..u mean get burned grin tongue
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Narldon: 6:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
Divay22:

That's how we roll...but I'll modify thou

Are you a PISCES??

smiley
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by tokrizy: 6:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
Fireflies may be our most beloved insects, but we know surprisingly little about them. Fortunately, what we do know about fireflies is fascinating. Here are 10 cool facts about fireflies.
1. FIREFLIES, ALSO CALLED LIGHTNING BUGS, ARE NEITHER FLIES NOR BUGS.
Fireflies are actually beetles. Like all other beetles, they have hardened forewings called elytra, which meet in a straight line down the back when at rest.
In flight, fireflies hold the elytra out for balance, and rely on their membranous hindwings for movement. These traits place fireflies squarely in the order Coleoptera.
2. FIREFLIES ARE THE WORLD'S MOST EFFICIENT LIGHT PRODUCERS.
Have you ever touched a light bulb that's been on for a while? If you did, you probably burned your finger! An average electric light bulb gives off 90% of its energy as heat, and only 10% as light. If fireflies produced that much heat when they lit up, they'd probably incinerate themselves. Fireflies produce light through an efficient chemical reaction that allows them to glow without wasting heat energy. All 100% of the energy goes into making light.
3. FIREFLIES "TALK" TO EACH OTHER USING LIGHT SIGNALS.
Fireflies don't put on those spectacular summer displays just to entertain us. You're actually eavesdropping on the firefly singles bar. Male fireflies cruising for mates flash a species-specific pattern to announce their availability to receptive females.
An interested female will reply, helping the male locate her where she's perched, often on low vegetation.
4. FIREFLIES ARE BIOLUMINESCENT THROUGHOUT THEIR LIFE CYCLES.
We don't often see fireflies before they reach adulthood, so you may not know that all stages of the firefly glow. Bioluminescence begins with the egg, and is present throughout the entire life cycle.
In fact, all firefly eggs, larvae, and pupae known to science are capable of producing light. Scientists believe that larvae use the light to warn predators away, but we don't know this for certain. Some firefly eggs will emit a faint glow when disturbed.
5. NOT ALL ADULT FIREFLIES FLASH.
Fireflies are known for their blinking light signals, but not all fireflies flash. Some adult fireflies, most notably those that inhabit the western areas of North America, don't use light signals to communicate. Many people falsely believe that fireflies don't exist west of the Rockies, since flashing populations are rarely seen there.
6. FIREFLY LARVAE FEED ON SNAILS.
Firefly larvae are carnivorous predators, and their favorite food is escargot. Most firefly species inhabit moist, terrestrial environments, where they feed on snails or worms in the soil. But a few Asian species use gills to breathe underwater, where they feed on aquatic snails. Some species are arboreal, with larvae that hunt tree snails.
7. SOME FIREFLIES ARE CANNIBALS.
We don't know much about what adult fireflies eat. Most don't seem to feed at all, while some are believed to eat mites or pollen. We do know what Photuris fireflies eat, though – other fireflies!
Photuris females enjoy munching on males of other genera. How do they catch their lightning bug cousins? See fact #8.
8. FEMALE FIREFLIES SOMETIMES MIMIC THE FLASHES OF OTHER SPECIES.
The well-known femme fatales in the genus
Photuris use a trick called aggressive mimicry to make meals of other fireflies. When a male firefly of another genus flashes its light signal, the female Photuris firefly replies with the male's flash pattern, suggesting she is a receptive mate of his own species. She continues luring him in, closer and closer, until he's within her reach. Then she eats him!
9. FIREFLY LUCIFERASE IS USED IN ALL KINDS OF MEDICAL RESEARCH.
Scientists have developed remarkable uses for firefly luciferase in the research lab. Luciferase can be used as markers to detect blood clots, to tag tuberculosis virus cells, and to monitor hydrogen peroxide levels in living organisms (hydrogen peroxide is believed to play a role in the progression of some diseases, like cancer and diabetes).
Learn Something New Every Day
Discover surprising insights and little-known facts about politics, literature, science, and the marvels of the natural world.
Fortunately, scientists can now use a synthetic form of luciferase for these research purposes, as the commercial harvest of fireflies could put our native species at risk for population decline.
10. SOME FIREFLIES SYNCHRONIZE THEIR FLASH SIGNALS.
Synchronous fireflies are one of the seven wonders of the insect world, in my opinion. Imagine thousands of fireflies lighting up at precisely the same time, over and over, from dusk to dark. This simultaneous bioluminescence, as its called by scientists, occurs in just two places in the world: southeast Asia and Great Smoky Mountains National Park, right here in the U.S.A. North America's lone synchronous species,
Photinus carolinus, puts on its light show in late spring each year.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Narldon: 6:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

As long as you are not the owner of the company, you are just a mere passenger in a bus

The aim of everyone should be to be the boss and fire others.

SAVAGERY!! shocked

grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by KinzyeWriter(m): 6:42pm On Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Nihilist: 6:44pm On Aug 14, 2017
grin
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Divay22(f): 6:45pm On Aug 14, 2017
Narldon:

Are you a PISCES??

smiley
TAURUS, guess you are?
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Narldon: 6:46pm On Aug 14, 2017
Divay22:

TAURUS, guess you are?

PISCES
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Divay22(f): 6:47pm On Aug 14, 2017
Narldon:

PISCES
Wow... cheesy cheesy
So is it true? Because mine is
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Viking007(m): 6:48pm On Aug 14, 2017
Divay22:
Sometimes it better you just leave with your head high up than for you to be told....
Just take it that, it's time to leave and move to the next level.
Don't worry God is preparing a place for you...
smiley
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Divay22(f): 6:49pm On Aug 14, 2017
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Viking007(m): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2017
9jvirgin:
I have been there.

My boss called the hotels I slept anytime I am out of station in Aba, Calabar, Bayelsa and Akwa-Ibom. The hotel managers called me to inform me that someone from our Lagos office had called them if I actually lodged with them. The hatred and onslaught was too much just because I stood up for the truth that my 400 workers in South-South deserves better wages and working tools.

I was so frustrated and bitter; I had to resign to pursue my dream. I am now 100 steps ahead today.
The fear of the unknown is what makes some people remain, even if they are being treated like sh1t. I admire Your courage sire.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by Narldon: 6:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
Divay22:

Wow... cheesy cheesy
So is it true? Because mine is

LOL!!

Yea, it's correct!

cheesy
Re: 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them by 9jvirgin(m): 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Viking007:
The fear of the unknown is that makes some people remain, even if they are being treated like sh1t. I admire Your courage sire.

Thank you for this truth. I thank God I made that decision.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army, Navy, Air Force Promote 235 Generals, Rear Admirals, AVM, Others / Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Police To Give Junior Officers With University Degrees Instant Promotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.