Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs (15890 Views)

12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 03, 2017
mrphysics:

Bros CV is for those that publicly announce their application. [b]Do you know that most companies that pay well don't announce vacancies? [/b]CV's matter less. I recently got a 6 digit paying Job, and I tell you, no one looked at how neat or organized my CV looked. They were more interested in harnessing my freelancing career, and improving their organization. They care most about what you can do
which companies?? The last time I checked many multinationals that pay well announce vacancies and yes, whilst referral is very important, I would say people still get jobs without referrals. CV matters, don't say it matters less. People have lost interviews because they didn't arrange the CV well. Let's advise and advocate what's right.

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by SoNature(m): 9:24am On Sep 03, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Is an application letter not a cover letter?

No. They differ
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Aquarius15(f): 9:27am On Sep 03, 2017
HRtechnique:
Who is making some sense out of this?.

I am, thanks for sharing.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:42am On Sep 03, 2017
SoNature:

No. They differ
What's the difference?
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 10:22am On Sep 03, 2017
mrphysics:

You are funny. You discard the right people because they don't follow application instruction? Or make a simple mistake? Ever wondered how you have sent the right candidates.

I titled this The fit nonsense by HR in one of the freelancing ebooks.

Thanks for your comment.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by AniwetaluEmma(m): 10:46am On Sep 03, 2017
In Nigeria today, companies recruit when there is need to do that. One has to built himself to the point of relevance. So when that opportunity comes up, you can possibly be the most qualified.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by JAWBONE(m): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2017
bizza45:
making it through an interview can b broken down in 3ways.
1. who u know
2. who send u
3 . who carry u come
and if your answer is nobody in d 3 question, then d interviewer will b like "that road u follow come, follow am go back oo "
�It's NOT a LIE�
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Afamed: 12:05pm On Sep 03, 2017
chinoxstock:
You are not getting called because there are no jobs in Nigeria...

BIAFRA is your escape...
Even America that's a developed country couldn't guaranty all her citizens the job opportunities talk less of the Biafra that's built on deceits.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Hollysaint: 12:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
nice
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
majekdom2:
which companies?? The last time I checked many multinationals that pay well announce vacancies and yes, whilst referral is very important, I would say people still get jobs without referrals. CV matters, don't say it matters less. People have lost interviews because they didn't arrange the CV well. Let's advise and advocate what's right.
yea bro, even if you want to be employed through the back door, a proper cv is still necessary
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by SoNature(m): 8:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
What's the difference?

1. Cover letters are letters that cover a CV (yes, they accompany ur CV), but application letters don't. Application letters are standalone documents.

2. If u want to apply for an Engineering position, the title of your cover letter will read: An Engineer

But for application letter, it goes: Application for the post of an Engineer.

There are many differences...I don't have d strength to explain all...just Google it
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by deb(m): 8:28am On Sep 04, 2017
bizza45:
making it through an interview can b broken down in 3ways.
1. who u know
2. who send u
3 . who carry u come
and if your answer is nobody in d 3 question, then d interviewer will b like "that road u follow come, follow am go back oo "

Not in all cases. So many people I know including myself have gotten employed by multinationals and we knew nobody or got any connections there.

My first advice to young applicants desiring to penetrate the big shots is to first develop Themselves land become too good to be ignored. It's already a competitive world. Corrupt politicians children and relatives all also want to work and they have their advantage, you now have to create your own advantage by developing and learning to be skillful at your trade.

Learn to volunteer or take jobs from smaller companies to get experience. No established industry will employ a rookie except they are planning to train from scratch, and even at that you still need some experience to be considered or get that edge that you need.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by laudate: 2:14am On Sep 05, 2017
majekdom2:
I was going to say the bolded. HR in Nigeria is the most unprofessional in most of department you find in an organisation. I am sorry to say this and I owe no apologies. I make my assertions based on my experience. Many HR team in Nigeria can't even tell who has got passion for the role and why. They simply want to have the best catch forgetting that intent and reason gives motivation. A candidate may just want to be in a multinational, or have a higher pay or change of roles, but will all these make him excel in that position. I have had experiences with few international recruiters and some good HR's in Nigeria, I can tell the difference clearly. The HR should be the first person to defend the selected candidate, why they were the ones called for an assessment or interview. Sadly, they leave the candidate in the hands of the Hiring manager. Many HR perceive most entry level- mid level job seeker as individuals with " No option", so they make their un professionalism obvious unconsciously. I loose interest in a company once I see a HR below my expectation no matter how interesting they may have made themselves
Oh, this must be the best post of the month! cheesy Biko, give me one hi-five there, jare. You hit the nail on the head! wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom State Civil Service Recruitment 2018 Thread (Photos) / Ikeja Electric Invite For Energy Sales Representative / First Bank Latest Job Recruitment (6 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.