Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,353 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs (15883 Views)

12 Possible Reasons You’re Not Getting Job Offers (Even Though You’re Qualified) / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 10:39am On Aug 15, 2017
Its not the fault of any HR or recruiter when you apply for jobs and you dont get called.
When you are tasked as a recruiter to get candidates for a role you will understand the pressure these folks go through to:

a Deliver the best candidate.
b Ensure its someone that won't quit after a month.
c Recruit someone with the right values and attitude. etc

Remember, HR folks have KPIs too and their reliability is constantly put to test whenever they are asked to recruit.

Hence, the need to use the right assessment tools and judge candidates using the right methods.

To make this interesting, I shall share just a tip and throw open the floor for questions.

The foundation for all and any tip is one (1) and that is To Follow Instructions
The first method I personally use to discard candidates is to scan for those who did not follow instructions.
This is one red flag for me that this person is not attentive, not detailed, not teachable and would likely create more problems.

# If you are asked to make the subject a certain way then please do.
# If you are asked to attach certain files please do.
# If you are asked to write your letter in the body of the mail then dont attach.

So once we learn the importance of instructions, we are half-half-way towards having a better chance of being called or invited.

Some of these HR software's have the possibility of discarding applications and CVs that do not match the job profile or did not follow the instructions as specified.
Its just a matter of commands.

Practically something like;

<Reject> Male "26 years" above
<Reject> Unidentified subject
<Accept> HR Manager subject

That's just an example.
So for any organization that has a robust HR platform, your CV gets discarded once it fails the instruction test.

For me at work, I use "labels" etc because we are not that sophisticated.

We can read more about this here:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/08/how-to-ensure-hr-administrators-get.html

So we are clear on why that's important.
Next time you want to apply for that job, dont rush. Spend 5 minutes looking through for specific instructions.
Bind and cast the adrenaline pushing you to forward your CV from your past sent items.

Next thing you want to do is having the right qualifications and experience.

If its a graduate trainee role, then you need the right CV and the right application letter.
You need to be able to convey passion via your letters
I will give an example;

Dear Hiring Manager,

My name is Linda and I am excited to know that you are currently recruiting for the role of a human resource officer.

I recently graduated with a second class lower division from the University of Lagos and I am passionate about human resources.

To further buttress my passion for human resources, I have just registered for CIPM and I will be writing my examination in August.

I look forward to speaking with you to discuss the many things I believe I can do differently if given the opportunity to join your company.

Regards,
Linda

What this letter conveys is someone who is not experienced but of someone who is passionate and that is taking steps to become one.
It shows that you are not expecting the job to be a gift but that you are also ready to prove your worth.

Trust me, if I see such a letter, I would want to speak with this candidate.
What does s/he want to do differently if given the opportunity? Im interested.

For your CVs and resumes ;

There is no best format.
There is no "one size fits all".
But a good CV for me must have the following:

1. The first words after your name should be something catchy. That's the first part HR folks look at. That first paragraph
2. There must be clarity of purpose and that's why its important to always tweak CVs for different roles.
Some CVs have accountant, welder, teacher all together in one CV.
3. CV must be clear and neatly arranged.
4. More importantly, it must have a list of achievements or tasks completed, project done, leadership roles taken as the case may be.

Sample of a graduate trainee CV:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2017/03/example-of-graduate-trainee-cv-resume.html

Hope its useful.

Source: www.hrtechnique.com

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 15, 2017
Man know Man is the order of the day in this part of the world.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by bizza45: 11:00am On Aug 15, 2017
making it through an interview can b broken down in 3ways.
1. who u know
2. who send u
3 . who carry u come
and if your answer is nobody in d 3 question, then d interviewer will b like "that road u follow come, follow am go back oo "

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by BiafranBushBoy: 1:33pm On Aug 15, 2017
While you are throwing CV's up and down the whole place praying to get a job, I am attending conferences, meeting people, discussing with influential people, getting contacts and making progress.

After 5 months you don't get a job (You blame Buhari and Jonathan)

After three months, I get a job with my I.C.T skills. (You call it connection)

lol... choose ye this day which one is better for you.

15 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 1:43pm On Aug 15, 2017
Hi,

I am happy to inform you that you can now have a simple CV that will guarantee you (the job?? thats a lie) a 6 seconds look at your CV when you send it.

Yes! Research (Conducted by Job landers) says that recruiters only look at your CV for 6 seconds and either toss it away or save it.

The problem is some CVs do not even go into this HR systems due to; word ''clogging'', lack of keywords, wrong arrangements and that is what we want to do for you.

To start is easy, reach us at contacthrtechnique@gmaildotcom to begin.

Regards,
Adetunji
For HRtechnique

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by SoNature(m): 5:05pm On Aug 15, 2017
Informative piece.

I suppose what OP shared was application Letter not a cover letter because there are differences.

Thing is, application letters don't go with CVs...even many HR personnel don't know this...sadly, OP is one of them.

Also, ensure you end the letter with your Full Names. Eg, Linda Abimbola, making space between 'Regards' and the name for signature...that's what makes it a formal letter.

Finally, indicate that a doc is attached just below your name.

For example:

Yours faithfully,

Linda Abimbola
Enclosed (CV)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 4:58am On Aug 16, 2017
SoNature:
Informative piece.

I suppose what OP shared was application Letter not a cover letter because there are differences.

Thing is, application letters don't go with CVs...even many HR personnel don't know this...sadly, OP is one of them.

Also, ensure you end the letter with your Full Names. Eg, Linda Abimbola, making space between 'Regards' and the name for signature...that's what makes it a formal letter.

For example:

Yours faithfully,

Linda Abimbola
Enclosed (CV)

Hello,

Oh I did not know I mentioned that its a cover letter.
Probably an error. Could you please point it to me?.

What I shared is equally not an application letter. Personally, its a waste of time but professionally could be useful.

That piece is something you can throw in the body of your email when you are asked to applying by sending your CV as is common.

Hope you find this useful.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 4:05pm On Aug 20, 2017
Happy Sunday guys.
As we enter into a new week, I ask that we all put in the best work to get the best result.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by HRtechnique: 6:00am On Aug 29, 2017
There are other contents on our site that you may find interesting.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by younglleo: 7:33am On Sep 03, 2017
nice one, but SEUN shud atleast mind creating anoda FP section titled LONG STORY FP: tanks for ur concern..!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by kandyj(f): 7:34am On Sep 03, 2017
are there really jobs? the idea of good CV shouldn't be an excuse.

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by chinoxstock: 7:35am On Sep 03, 2017
You are not getting called because there are no jobs in Nigeria...

BIAFRA is your escape...
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:35am On Sep 03, 2017
SoNature:
Informative piece.

For example:

Yours faithfully,

Linda Abimbola
Enclosed (CV)

Is an application letter not a cover letter?
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Webman007: 7:37am On Sep 03, 2017
It's not just about the CV, your experience counts as well. But then it goes above CV, you can stand yourself apart by having your own portfolio website, which grows with you as your career grows.

Find out here http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-portfolio-website

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by yjgm(m): 7:38am On Sep 03, 2017
Nice one
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by mrphysics(m): 7:38am On Sep 03, 2017
HRtechnique:
Who is making some sense out of this?.
You are funny. You discard the right people because they don't follow application instruction? Or make a simple mistake? Ever wondered how you have sent the right candidates.

I titled this The fit nonsense by HR in one of the freelancing ebooks.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by mrphysics(m): 7:40am On Sep 03, 2017
Webman007:
It's not just about the CV, your experience counts as well. But then it goes above CV, you can stand yourself apart by having your own portfolio website, which grows with you as your career grows.

Find out here http://doerstechnologies.com.ng/10-reasons-why-you-need-a-portfolio-website
Bros CV is for those that publicly announce their application. Do you know that most companies that pay well don't announce vacancies? CV's matter less. I recently got a 6 digit paying Job, and I tell you, no one looked at how neat or organized my CV looked. They were more interested in harnessing my freelancing career, and improving their organization. They care most about what you can do

3 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by mrphysics(m): 7:42am On Sep 03, 2017
chinoxstock:
You are not getting called because there are no jobs in Nigeria...

BIAFRA is your escape...
Not through bro. It depends on your location and strategy.
There are limited jobs, yes, but you can still create it.

Biafra won't give everyone one jobs brother. Its not going to be a perfect country.

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Magma012: 7:50am On Sep 03, 2017
When submitting a CV to a company how do one present it Biko.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by ecclize: 8:02am On Sep 03, 2017
As far as this issue is concern on nairaland u gave the best and most useful clue Nigerians can easy relate with in a clear and concise term more grease to ur elbow op
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nedsnow(m): 8:07am On Sep 03, 2017
Personally I believe most HR in Nigeria have one way or the other rejected a very good candidate because of one stupid CV and cover letter error. Apart from that, most HR invite or employ you because you can write a good CV or cover letter and also because you can meet their own personal expectation. Most of them don't even choose the right candidate. I have seen this happen where I work twice. Even if not thrice.

Can you believe some HR also choose a candidate just because of his or her tribe. And that's not even supposed to be allowed in the first place. I know HRs have KPIs but still, so many of them pokenose and do duties not related to their work so they can gain favours from their bosses. And also, most HRs practise a whole lot of office politics. With that, how can they choose the right candidate either to interview or to give the job.
If they can just stick to their role, it will really help the company's growth. If they can also look for talent and not interview question experts, it will all be cool.

What am saying may not be related to this topic in a way but still. I know some of us here will understand what am trying to say. HAPPY SUNDAY

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by tunjijones(m): 8:13am On Sep 03, 2017
You are not getting the job because you dnt know anybody at the top. This is Nigeria, if you dnt knw pple its always difficult to get jobs. That's the simple truth.

CV or no CV is not important. I got my first job without summiting any CV. We were like 15 that came for interview. I already knew the job was mine weather I pass the interview or not. That's the case in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by sweetgala(m): 8:15am On Sep 03, 2017
Love Machine:
Man know Man is the order of the day in this part of the world.

In every part of the world , there is a level where exceptions plays a role but you want your foot in the door
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Allwility: 8:31am On Sep 03, 2017

Believe me, the difficult part isn't getting rejected. It's not being notified by the HR Dept. that you've been dropped.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Webman007: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2017
mrphysics:

Bros CV is for those that publicly announce their application. Do you know that most companies that pay well don't announce vacancies? CV's matter less. I recently got a 6 digit paying Job, and I tell you, no one looked at how neat or organized my CV looked. They were more interested in harnessing my freelancing career, and improving their organization. They care most about what you can do

Exactly bro....just show what you can do and that's settles the rest.....
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 8:44am On Sep 03, 2017
Nedsnow:
Personally I believe most HR in Nigeria have one way or the other rejected a very good candidate because of one stupid CV and cover letter error. Apart from that, most HR invite or employ you because you can write a good CV or cover letter and also because you can meet their own personal expectation. Most of them don't even choose the right candidate. I have seen this happen where I work twice. Even if not thrice.

Can you believe some HR also choose a candidate just because of his or her tribe. And that's not even supposed to be allowed in the first place. I know HRs have KPIs but still, so many of them pokenose and do duties not related to their work so they can gain favours from their bosses. And also, most HRs practise a whole lot of office politics. With that, how can they choose the right candidate either to interview or to give the job.
If they can just stick to their role, it will really help the company's growth. If they can also look for talent and not interview question experts, it will all be cool.

What am saying may not be related to this topic in a way but still. I know some of us here will understand what am trying to say. HAPPY SUNDAY
I was going to say the bolded. Most HR in Nigeria are the least professional in most of department you find in an organisation. I owe no apologies. I make my assertions based on my experience. Many HR team in Nigeria can't even tell who has got passion for the role and why. They simply want to have the best catch forgetting that intent and reason gives motivation. A candidate may just want to be in a multinational, or have a higher pay or change of roles but will all these make him excel in that position. I have had experiences with few international recruiters and some good HR's in Nigeria, I can tell the difference clearly. The HR should be the first person to defend the selected candidate why they were the ones called for an assessment or interview. Sadly, they leave the candidate in the hands of the Hiring manager. Many HR perceive most entry level- mid level job seeker as individuals with " No option", so they make their un professionalism obvious unconsciously. I loose interest in a company once I see a HR below my expectation no matter how interesting they may have made themselves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by MVLOX(m): 8:48am On Sep 03, 2017
Hmmm anoda 1
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by ActionsShure: 8:52am On Sep 03, 2017
Fuc the cv's
I ain't into failure, and I don't even know what to tell you
I ain't got no work to sell you
I got hope to sell you, got me a boat to sail in
Im my own boss
Controlling my spending.
Always on top
My money na non-ending
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by KingBish(f): 8:52am On Sep 03, 2017
You mean village people are innocent?
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 03, 2017
tunjijones:
You are not getting the job because you dnt know anybody at the top. This is Nigeria, if you dnt knw pple its always difficult to get jobs. That's the simple truth.

CV or no CV is not important. I got my first job without summiting any CV. We were like 15 that came for interview. I already knew the job was mine weather I pass the interview or not. That's the case in Nigeria.
whilst this may be true and referral important. I got my first job without knowing anybody. I submitted CV and it worked for me. So what works for you may not work for others that's not to say what works for you is not good same with others.
Re: Why You Are Not Getting Called After Applying For Jobs by omoikea(m): 9:00am On Sep 03, 2017
Are you Unemployed?
Do u hv skills in CUSTOMER RELATIONS, with a minimum of 4 years work Experience
If yes:

NO Vex, Help me Beg NEPA to bring Light.

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Bank Latest Job Recruitment (6 Positions) / Should I Stay In Nigeria Or Travel To Ghana My In-law Place In Search Of Job / PHCN Employed No Engineer For 16 Years – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.