Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,877 members, 7,866,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 03:51 PM

Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. (19139 Views)

Explosives Abandoned During Civil War Recovered By Police / Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War / Soyinka Breaks Silence: BIAFRA (igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE During Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 3:11am On Feb 20, 2010
So ndu_chucks, we must lose all baggage to run the race of survival. Some of the baggage include things like morality and fairplay. We died because we wanted to escape mass murder. We were killed more.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 3:17am On Feb 20, 2010
Katsumoto:

I understand the point that you are trying to make but you seem to have forgotten the issues which led to the war. Gowon was head of state but he did nothing to prevent or stop the murder of Igbo citizens in the North. As Head of State, he should have afforded protection to all Nigerians. How was Ojukwu to know what would have happened to his people if he had surrendered early?

The war lasted three years and by the end, most combatants were tired. We don't know whether some of the soldiers would have still being blood-thirsty and gone on a killing rampage if Ojukwu had surrendered after one year. What if instead of 1.5m children and women starving to death, they were massacred by Nigerian soldiers. We all know what Murtala did at Asaba.

I am not saying he should or shouldn't have surrendered, I am only playing devil's advocate.

My friend, the decision did not require the mind of a brain surgeon.  Please read the time magazine article posted by the OP and find that commanders refused to surrender even after women and children were dying at the rate of 3000 per day, haba!  The dead women and children at that time were in the hundreds of thousands, sadly.  Why should the war continue until over a million more civilian deaths?  The reporter warned that the casaulties could reach 2 million and the reporter was right.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by henry101(m): 3:21am On Feb 20, 2010
@ ndu chucks
As usual u ve exibited ur cunning ways.
U ve refused 2 giv answers 2d questions raised.
Y did d FG led by Gowon n his team dciv Ojukwu at Aburi by accepting his terms n changed wen dey got 2nigeria.
Y didnt dey challenge him at Aburi? Rmbr Ojukwu was d only dat represented Biafra.
Answer d question n leave my person.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 3:29am On Feb 20, 2010
henry101:

@ ndu chucks
As usual u ve exibited your cunning ways.
U ve refused 2 giv answers 2d questions raised.
Y did d FG led by Gowon n his team dciv Ojukwu at Aburi by accepting his terms n changed wen dey got 2nigeria.
Y didnt dey challenge him at Aburi? Rmbr Ojukwu was d only dat represented Biafra.
Answer d question n leave my person.

oh boy, my real name no be Gowon and I  no follow dem go Aburi, so why I go sabi de reason wey Gowon take  renege?  Abeg send email to Gowon or write am letter, den him go fit tell you why.

Onlytruth:

So ndu_chucks, we must lose all baggage to run the race of survival. Some of the baggage include things like morality and fairplay.

War is an evil that must be avoided at all cost.  Wars never end without sad stories, may God heal us all. May you find ways to forgive ALL your adversaries - it takes a real man to forgive.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by doyin13(m): 3:31am On Feb 20, 2010
Katsumoto:

I understand the point that you are trying to make but you seem to have forgotten the issues which led to the war. Gowon was head of state but he did nothing to prevent or stop the murder of Igbo citizens in the North. As Head of State, he should have afforded protection to all Nigerians. How was Ojukwu to know what would have happened to his people if he had surrendered early?

Are we getting the chronology right. I read somewhere Gowon actually saved the lives of some of his Igbo colleagues by ordering their lockup when
Hausa soldiers went on rampage in Lagos. I might have read wrongly anyway.

About Ojukwu. What I still can't get my head around was the fact he surrendered anyway.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Katsumoto: 3:37am On Feb 20, 2010
doyin13:

Are we getting the chronology right. I read somewhere Gowon actually saved the lives of some of his Igbo colleagues by ordering their lockup when
Hausa soldiers went on rampage in Lagos. I might have read wrongly anyway.

About Ojukwu. What I still can't get my head around was the fact he surrendered anyway.

He may have saved some of his colleagues but what about the lives of ordinary Nigerians? The people who died in the pogroms needed more protection than soldiers who were trained to fight anyway.

Ojukwu did not surrender; he ran to Cote d'voire. Effiong was the person who surrendered.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by doyin13(m): 3:41am On Feb 20, 2010
Katsumoto:

He may have saved some of his colleagues but what about the lives of ordinary Nigerians? The people who died in the pogroms needed more protection than soldiers who were trained to fight anyway.

Ojukwu did not surrender; he ran to Cote d'voire. Effiong was the person who surrendered.

I doubt there was much Gowon could have done really to prevent the pogroms. I agree though
many of the perpetrators should have been punished. One could possibly infer tacit complicity
then I guess.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dede1(m): 1:32pm On Feb 20, 2010
ndu_chucks:

My friend, the decision did not require the mind of a brain surgeon. Please read the time magazine article posted by the OP and find that commanders refused to surrender even after women and children were dying at the rate of 3000 per day, haba! The dead women and children at that time were in the hundreds of thousands, sadly. Why should the war continue until over a million more civilian deaths? The reporter warned that the casaulties could reach 2 million and the reporter was right.

Why should you sacrifice the good nature of common sense on the altar of cheap and misguided political point? I guess you believe everything that is printed on a sheet of paper.

You believe that Biafran commanders at various sectors and battle theaters trying to fend off a determined enemy whose intensions were to massacre, rape and kill women, children and all people of Biafra would at the same time visiting the countless refugee camps scattered all over unoccupied territories of Biafra.

Anyway aftermath stories of war are filled with conjectural load of rubbish. As usual, most of the craps written after a war have never favored the loser.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by MrCrackles(m): 1:34pm On Feb 20, 2010
OJUKWU is a coward. . .
End off! cool
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 20, 2010
Katsumoto:

mama-gee:

I can't laugh but who didn't know Ojukwu used different
mischevious means to stop him from fighting in the war.
Katsumoto:

No sweat
Eventually, ignorant posters will either finally get an 'education' or they will leave this section for other sections such as the jokes, romance, etc.
MrCrackles:

OJUKWU is a coward. . .
End off! cool
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 1:46pm On Feb 20, 2010
Dede1:

Why should you sacrifice the good nature of common sense on the altar of cheap and misguided political point? I guess you believe everything that is printed on a sheet of paper.

You believe that Biafran commanders at various sectors and battle theaters trying to fend off a determined enemy whose intensions were to massacre, despoil and kill women, children and all people of Biafra would at the same time visiting the countless refugee camps scattered all over unoccupied territories of Biafra.

Anyway aftermath stories of war are filled with conjectural load of rubbish. As usual, most of craps written after a war have never favored the loser.

Dede1,  good try, but your excuse does not hold water.  The high rate of starvation was reported by various international organizations, including time magazine. The whole world knew about the disaster that was about to happen which Ojukwu and his commanders allowed to happen, reportedly to score a cheap propaganda point and get the world's pity.

If you are now claiming that Ojukwu and his commanders were busy fighting hence oblivious to the high rate of death of their people, then Ojukwu and his commanders must have been incompetent, completely irresponsible, and should have never gone to war in the first place. How can they claim that they were ignorant of the deaths of say, half a million women and children because they were busy fighting?  You mean to tell me that their scouts did not report these happenings to them? Your excuse is unreasonable to me, try another one.

Effiong eventually surrendered after the deaths of millions of women and children, while Ojukwu fled. I maintain that they should have surrendered much sooner because they had the information that these women and children were dying at the rate of 3000 per day!!!
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by RichyBlacK(m): 2:32pm On Feb 20, 2010
ndu_chucks:

As I said earlier, we must agree to strongly disagree on this issue.  If the 1.5million civilian casualties, is not credible, then some people have been spreading lies on Igbo based websites. Here is a sample entry form kwenu.com,  a google search will reveal other similar claims.  How many women and children do you believe died of starvation if you disagree with the 1.5million number?

“Mounting secessionist pressures from his fellow Igbo finally compelled Ojukwu on May 30, 1967, to declare the Eastern region an independent state under the name of the Republic of Biafra. Federal troops soon afterward invaded Biafra, and civil war broke out in July 1967.The resulting Nigerian Civil war that raged between secessionist Biafra and Nigeria from July1967 to January 1970, resulted in 100,000 military casualties, and between 2 and 3 million Biafran civilian deaths from starvation and disease.”

Find the complete article here: http://www.kwenu.com/publications/okoye/2008/generals_general.htm

ndu_chucks,

It seems you're trying to inflate the number of possible civilian death due to starvation to somehow show Ojukwu to be insensitive. The truth is that the actual civilian casualty is unknown, however, estimates range from half million (http://www1.american.edu/TED/ice/BIAFRA.HTM) to three million (your reference).

Since you think Ojukwu surrendered too late, how soon should he have surrendered? After the first shot or after the first bomb? When? If you have no meaningful answer to this question then you have no business second guessing the actions of Ojukwu. Most Biafrans do not blame Ojukwu for the casualties of the war and that is what matters. The opinion of non-Biafrans is irrelevant on this issue.

Finally, that Igbos have turned around the losses of the war and made considerable strides in every facet of human endeavor within just four decades is indeed remarkable.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by doyin13(m): 2:50pm On Feb 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

Find the complete article here: http://www.kwenu.com/publications/okoye/2008/generals_general.htm

ndu_chucks,

It seems you're trying to inflate the number of possible civilian death due to starvation to somehow show Ojukwu to be insensitive. The truth is that the actual civilian casualty is unknown, however, estimates range from half million (http://www1.american.edu/TED/ice/BIAFRA.HTM) to three million (your reference).

Since you think Ojukwu surrendered too late, how soon should he have surrendered? After the first shot or after the first bomb? When? If you have no meaningful answer to this question then you have no business second guessing the actions of Ojukwu. Most Biafrans do not blame Ojukwu for the casualties of the war and that is what matters. The opinion of non-Biafrans is irrelevant on this issue.

Finally, that Igbos have turned around the losses of the war and made considerable strides in every facet of human endeavor within just four decades is indeed remarkable.

True True. . .The Igbos are a most remarkable people as are many other tribes in Nigeria.

And certainly its their prerogative to view Ojukwu however they wish.

Its just sometimes I get the inkling many Igbos get paranoid and feel the rest of Nigeria
especially the South West are out to hold them down.

It is a shame really as many of the progressive elements in our country come
from these two regions
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by nduchucks: 3:00pm On Feb 20, 2010
RichyBlacK:

ndu_chucks,

It seems you're trying to inflate the number of possible civilian death due to starvation to somehow show Ojukwu to be insensitive. The truth is that the actual civilian casualty is unknown, however, estimates range from half million (http://www1.american.edu/TED/ice/BIAFRA.HTM) to three million (your reference)

If estimates of the number of women and children who died from starvation range from 500,000 to 3million, you can see that my 1.5milion number is at about in the middle of the range and for academic purposes, quite reasonable. If I was trying to inflate the number to somehow show that Ojukwu was insensitive, I would have simply stated that he was a coward by running away, as others have stated here. Being a coward is worse than being insensitive. I respect Ojukwu and my aim is to seek an understanding of why a commander can scarifise this many lives and then run away in the end.

I still maintain that a surrender at the point when it became clear that 3000 women and children were dying on a daily basis would have been more reasonable.  Again, we can agree to disagree on the issue.

I agree with you on the above point.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by ezeagu(m): 3:42pm On Feb 20, 2010
doyin13:

Its just sometimes I get the inkling many Igbos get paranoid and feel the rest of Nigeria
especially the South West are out to hold them down.

Not entirely true, don't use mekusxyz as a sample of the population. People in the east are more worried about Orji Uzor Kalu and the rest of the snakes that it would almost be deadly to start focusing on somebody who is not your problem.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Dede1(m): 3:52pm On Feb 20, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Dede1, good try, but your excuse does not hold water. The high rate of starvation was reported by various international organizations, including time magazine. The whole world knew about the disaster that was about to happen which Ojukwu and his commanders allowed to happen, reportedly to score a cheap propaganda point and get the world's pity.

If you are now claiming that Ojukwu and his commanders were busy fighting hence oblivious to the high rate of death of their people, then Ojukwu and his commanders must have been incompetent, completely irresponsible, and should have never gone to war in the first place. How can they claim that they were ignorant of the deaths of say, half a million women and children because they were busy fighting? You mean to tell me that their scouts did not report these happenings to them? Your excuse is unreasonable to me, try another one.

Effiong eventually surrendered after the deaths of millions of women and children, while Ojukwu fled. I maintain that they should have surrendered much sooner because they had the information that these women and children were dying at the rate of 3000 per day!!!

I had rather blame the blockade employed by the Nigeria for causing deaths in millions of women and children than blame Ojukwu for fighting without surrounding. War is not fun in the sun. However, my people say regardless of death war should be fought.

Granted that Biafra was defeated, I still appreciate the fact the Nigeria’s nose and those of her bloody allies were blooded by the tinny Biafra. If Ojukwu had surrounded, north and west regions of Nigeria would have been flexing for war since the end of civil war.

At least, Nigeria realized the weight of the burden of what it took to make tinny Biafra to capitulate.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Katsumoto: 4:01pm On Feb 20, 2010
Dede1:

I had rather blame the blockade employed by the Nigeria for causing deaths in millions of women and children than blame Ojukwu for fighting without surrounding. War is not fun in the sun. However, my people say regardless of death war should be fought.

Granted that Biafra was defeated, I still appreciate the fact the Nigeria’s nose and those of her bloody allies were blooded by the tinny Biafra. If Ojukwu had surrounded, north and west regions of Nigeria would have been flexing for war since the end of civil war.

At least, Nigeria realized the weight of the burden of what it took to make tinny Biafra to capitulate.

[b][/b]

War is always a tragedy; there are winners, losers, and victims. There is no need to derive some form of satisfaction from that tragedy. When you make statements like these, you invite snide remarks. Since Nigeria remained a nation, Nigeria was the loser for the war. The war was fought with Nigerian resources and lives. I include Biafra in my definition of Nigeria.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Katsumoto: 4:02pm On Feb 20, 2010
ezeagu:

Not entirely true, don't use mekusxyz as a sample of the population. People in the east are more worried about Orji Uzor Kalu and the rest of the snakes that it would almost be deadly to start focusing on somebody who is not your problem.

I find your comments refreshing.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 5:38pm On Feb 20, 2010
Dede1:

Bro Dede1, you have made my day with the above words. Thank you.  It is easy for revisionists masking as concerned fellow citizens to mock the cause and the memory of the dead in Biafra. We must never forget what really led to the deaths. Remember that Nigeria was fighting to unify the country, right? So why use a tactic meant for an outright foreign enemy? Assuming Ojukwu was "stubborn" as they always like to say and continued fighting, which Nigerian citizens will be left in the territory of Biafra if Nigeria continued blockading? Which means that Nigeria simply mounted pressure on Biafra hoping for Biafra to self-annihilate -a strategy meant to fight a foreign country like Cameroun. Why use if against fellow Nigerians? This only leads me to believe that Nigeria knew that Biafra was actually a foreign country then. So why not admit it  instead of pretending that we were one?

In the Second world war, the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin lost 22 million to its war of attrition against the invading Nazi Germany. I'm sure the same people blaming OJukwu would have wanted Stalin to surrender to Adolf Hitler to avoid the Soviet deaths.
ndu_chuks, you and I have had this conversation before and I remember asking you whether the war has ended; whether Ojukwu's death (because frankly that is what snakes like you would have wanted, stop trying to fo'ol yourself) would have saved or killed more Easterners. I put it to you that if Ojukwu had died as you planned, you would have since wiped out the easterners if not outrightly turning us into slaves in our own land. So, for the umpteenth time, Ojukwu served us well. Warts, mistakes, idiocy, or whatever his faults were in the war, we LOVE AND APPRECIATE all he did. We love him to death. So, go hang if you don't like that. cool
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by forbidden5(m): 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2010
Reporter and all the senseless chicken brains that never think. What kind of education do people have in this country?

Do we just draw conclusion on just any article or anything we hear or read? It was even said by samsung that if you believe everything you read on the internet, you would be a Nigerian millionare.

How can we read something and we are already calling Ojukwu names? Are you in any better Nigeria aside the civil war?

Please always make your findings before concluding serious matters like this. The civil war cannot be fully discussed and concluded till date, even though we have the soldiers alive.

Why would Gowon and Ojukwu not come on air to tell the story? Please lets let bygone be by gone and look for a way forward rather than saying senseless things.

Are the northerners not executing people till date and killing the southerners among them? How many have we executed?

Please people should become learned and use their head
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 5:55pm On Feb 20, 2010
There should be no argument about blockade being a legitimate weapon of the war. The issue in discourse is that since it is a strategic tool of the war and rightfully applied by the Nigerian side should not compel Ojukwu to surrender. Why is there no argument that Ojukwu should have simply surrendered at the sight of NNS Lokoja in the waters of Bight of Biafra?

For clarity sake, I must submit that Ojukwu never declared war on Nigeria. Anybody that fought against Biafra should be looked upon an indelible enemy to Biafrans. Yoruba as an ethnic nationality fought against Biafrans. The sons of Yoruba have flaunted pride and joy for being part of the enemy forces that fought and defeated Biafra. Few of them were worthy adversaries such as Alain Akirinenade, Alabi-Isama, Francies Shande and Olu Bajuwa

But the great part of the debates relating to that WAR has been about the legitimacy or not of employing "blockade". And I have witnessed such hot debates live for many decades now. Some say it is legit, some believe it isn't. I believe blockade is a legitimate weapon of war, it becomes illegal if civilians are refused relieves. And as I understand, the then FMG of Nigeria never refused relieve to the civilians. It only insisted that she be in charge. However as many people from the affected ethnic group have said themselves, they refused the offer on the pretense of the founded or unjustified fear that the FMG might have poisened the food items. On another account, it was confirmed the Biafrans were misusing the relieve agencies to smuggle weapon into Nigerian territory controlled by them. Even Ojukwu himself admitted that they realized the war was no more to be won after the fall of Enugu, which legitimize the questions being asked why he surrendered 2 years after he realized the war was already lost.

For clarity, any part of a sovereign country that unilaterally declare itself independent does in effect declare war on the mother nation. BTW, the Brits, Americans, Russians, Egyptians and a host of other nations did directly or indirectly fought against Biafra, so why are you people singling out the Yorubas? And mind you, one of yours is even in the ARMY of the United States that helped Nigeria defeat his Nation as he proudly stated. Your claim that Yorubas enjoy parading themselves of defeating Biafra is quite untrue. We know a few incidence and the few lots who have claimed such a things and they are quite right in their assertion. You people claim the black scorpion is a villain but you happily surrendered to him and not to Muritala; which means the man might not be all that bad after all.

One can liken that to the situation during world war II. The Germans at defeat were happy to surrender to the Americans rather than the Russian led Soviet red army because the Russians were reported to be less humane in their treatment of the conquered people. I wish your leaders had surrendered to the mollas.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 6:03pm On Feb 20, 2010
In the Second world war, the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin lost 22 million to its war of attrition against the invading Nazi Germany. I'm sure the same people blaming OJukwu would have wanted Stalin to surrender to Adolf Hitler to avoid the Soviet deaths.
ndu_chuks, you and I have had this conversation before and I remember asking you whether the war has ended; whether Ojukwu's death (because frankly that is what snakes like you would have wanted, stop trying to fo'ol yourself) would have saved or killed more Easterners. I put it to you that if Ojukwu had died as you planned, you would have since wiped out the easterners if not outrightly turning us into slaves in our own land. So, for the umpteenth time, Ojukwu served us well. Warts, mistakes, idiocy, or whatever his faults were in the war, we LOVE AND APPRECIATE all he did. We love him to death. So, go hang if you don't like that.

Onlytruth, please dont compare Stalin to Ojukwu. I think Ojukwu is beyond Stalin. Stalin was no better than Adolf Hitler. Do you know how many people died through the hands of Comrade Josif Stalin? Some might say Ojukwu is an animal, but Stalin is definitely a wild wild brutish animal.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:05pm On Feb 20, 2010
okooyinbo:

Onlytruth, please dont compare Stalin to Ojukwu. I think Ojukwu is beyond Stalin. Stalin was no better than Adolf Hitler. Do you know how many people died through the hands of Comrade Josif Stalin?

The comparison is not meant to be complete, but they fought the same type of enemies.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:08pm On Feb 20, 2010
The comparison is not meant to be complete, but they fought the same type of enemies. If Stalin never fought the way he did, there may be no Russia or even the free world today. Just like Nigeria is still backward because Biafra lost the war.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 6:10pm On Feb 20, 2010
No, the enemy were not the same. Nigeria was not as murderous as Hitler. Hitler wanted to completely annihilate the Soviet union whereby Nigeria wanted to keep herself ONE. And some in the Nigeria GOVT wanted to teach that "proud" Ojukwu a lesson.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:11pm On Feb 20, 2010
okooyinbo:

No, the enemy were not the same. Nigeria was not as murderous as Hitler. Hitler wanted to completely annihilate the Soviet union whereby Nigeria wanted to keep herself ONE. And some in the Nigeria GOVT wanted to teach that "proud" Ojukwu a lesson.

That is where I completely disagree with you. Please refer to my first quote about this. If Ojukwu had continued fighting and Nigeria continued blockading, which Nigerians would be left on the Biafran space at the end of the war?
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:13pm On Feb 20, 2010
The Biafran war brought a permanent change to the way wars are fought in Africa. There has not been another war in Africa where starvation was allowed ever since. The world have developed a conscience since Biafra.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 6:14pm On Feb 20, 2010
The comparison is not meant to be complete, but they fought the same type of enemies. If Stalin never fought the way he did, there [b]may [/b]be no Russia today.

Well it could be! But do you know that Stalin was actually the useless person that put the Soviet union on danger list in the first place? Did you know he killed the top brass of Russian Army to secure his power and wanted to buy time by signing a bogus "aburi" like agreement with Nazi Germany? Ojukwu is a finer person than Stalin.

Or are you suggesting that Ojukwu should have sacrificed more Igbo and Southeastern people lives by fighting harder? Josif Stalin got an enormous aid from the allied, else he would have defeated the Nazis. Besides, the cold winter in Russia aided him too. It is always warm in Biafra and there was no serious millitary aid to the too.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:18pm On Feb 20, 2010
okooyinbo:

Well it could be! But do you know that Stalin was actually the useless person that put the Soviet union on danger list in the first place? Did you know he killed the top brass of Russian Army to secure his power and wanted to buy time by signing a bogus "aburi" like agreement with Nazi Germany? Ojukwu is a finer person than Stalin.

Frankly I don't want this to degenerate to Ojukwu/Stalin or Biafra/USSR. The comparison is strictly limited to the enemies they fought. Their enemies wanted to win by all means and that led to millions of civilian deaths. Or can you tell me that Stalin killed more Soviets that Germany? undecided
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:22pm On Feb 20, 2010
okooyinbo:

Or are you suggesting that Ojukwu should have sacrificed more Igbo and Southeastern people lives by fighting harder? Josif Stalin got an enormous aid from the allied, else he would have defeated the Nazis. Besides, the cold winter in Russia aided him too. It is always warm in Biafra and there was no serious millitary aid to the too.

Ojukwu never sacrificed a sinlge Biafran life for the war. That is what revisionists have been busy trying to prove. And our response has been a resounding -NO IT IS NOT TRUE.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by okooyinbo(m): 6:25pm On Feb 20, 2010
The Biafran war brought a permanent change to the way wars are fought in Africa. There has not been another war in Africa where starvation was allowed ever since. The world have developed a conscience since Biafra.

My friend, where there have been war there have been blockade and its resulting devastation and human tragedies. Did you study the Sudan crisis very well? What about Ethiopia and Eritrea, they did employ blockage tactics in these conflicts. The difference is that in the case of Biafra, it was devastatingly efficient in breaking moral and killing and maiming. Something I am happy about though is that the Nigerian conflict parties (FMG and Biafra) did not make an extensive use of landmines as witnessed in Mocambique, Angola etc.
Re: Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. by Onlytruth(m): 6:28pm On Feb 20, 2010
okooyinbo:

My friend, where there have been war there have been blockade and its resulting devastation and human tragedies. Did you study the Sudan crisis very well? What about Ethiopia and Eritrea, they did employ blockage tactics in these conflicts. The difference is that in the case of Biafra, it was devastatingly efficient in breaking moral and killing and maiming. Something I am happy about though is that the Nigerian conflict parties (FMG and Biafra) did not make an extensive use of landmines as witnessed in Mocambique, Angola etc.

You are right about that but I still insist that the world developed a HUGE conscience after Biafra. Nothing similar has ever been allowed again in Africa. I have only started to understand why the west is quick these days to rush relief to troubled spots around the world and to charge leaders with war crimes like in Sudan.

The Congo war would have led to 20 million deaths if the world had allowed what happened in Biafra to continue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

DPR Issues 21 Licences For New Refineries- The National Mirror / Adesola Amosun Proposes Plea Bargain / Gbajabiamila, Nuhu Ribadu, Abike Dabiri-Erewa Visit Tinubu In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.