Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,803 members, 7,813,639 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? (3049 Views)

Oliseh Advises Siasia: “Egypt Not As Good As They Were Years Ago" / FIFA Remembers Enyimba's Spectacular CAF Triumph 10 Years After / Chelsea Fan Tattoos Mikel Obi's Name On His Butt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by akinalabi(m): 12:48am On Feb 11, 2007
Hi all,

I visited Nigeria not too long ago and I popped into the
football viewing center where I used to watch the English
premiership.

To my surprise, I saw loads of Chelsea fans, many of them
with the blue jersey, speaking passionately about their
team.

I cast my mind back to about a decade ago and I can't
remember knowing any Chelsea fan.

I remeber when Glen Hoddle was their manager, before
Ruud Gullit took over. I also remeber the glorious moments
Gianfranco Zola gave them.

I then cast my mind to 1998 when Marc Overmar's goal at
Old Trafford won the league for Arsenal over Manchester
United. I remember heated arguments between me (I'm
a die hard Man Utd fan) and Arsenal fans.

There was no Chelsea fan.

What could be the reason for the turn around? Is it because
of Roman Abramovich's millions and the Jose Mourhino's
glorius era?

If it is, then that means they are not true fans.

What do you guys think? Especially the Chelsea "fans" here.

Cheers,

Akin Alabi
http://talkpremiership..com

=
=
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by SMC(f): 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2007
Yes. I knew a fan in Nigeria back in those days, but u are right, chelsea fans were few and far between in Nigeria. But not here in London.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by lalaboi(m): 11:17pm On Feb 11, 2007
all fans on nairaland,

did u join ur current team when they were struggling?

atleast most manutd fans joined cos of der treble, cos dy wer d best team in d 90's in england

arsenal fans joined cos of kanu (arsenal at dat time was a good team ridin high in prem) and cos of der unbeaten run.

liverpool cos dy won d champ league,

1 Like

Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 11:50pm On Feb 11, 2007
@Akinlabi

That you dont know any Chelsea fans then does not necessary mean there's none.

I have friends who still support Crystal palace, Forest and Grays athletic.

Can youn imagine the one that support G.A used to support arsenal.

How is Milton Keynes? Probably the best design town in UK.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by akinalabi(m): 6:03am On Feb 12, 2007
Hi,

I know there are a few genuine Chelsea fans in Naija but I
don't understand the current "craze".

You don't have to support a team simply because they are
winning. My brother is a die hard Fulham fan.

I fell in love with Shooting Stars of Ibadan in 1986 ( I was 9 then)
when they got relegated so it shouldn't be about the reigning
team.

I started supporting Man Utd when Blackburn swept them
aside in the premiership in 1995.

I don't usually respect "current craze" football fans.

Or am I just in the Old School?

Akolawole. Milton Keynes best design town? Forget it. Na
so so round about we dey see  cheesy.

Cheers,

Akin Alabi

=
=
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by danniecool(m): 8:53am On Feb 12, 2007
See them, they have started again.

I will come back later for grin grin grin undecided
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by manu4laif: 9:49am On Feb 12, 2007
@akinalabi,
I think I agree with you that at least in Naija there were not many Chelsea fans(I actually only knew of one 10 years ago and he was more a Hoddle fan than anything else,he now supports Wolves).

Truth is people will support clubs for different reasons and you can't deny that they have less passion simply because they started supporting yesterday or 10 years ago.I agree however that time may be an indicator of how true that passion is.
I have this theory which generally describes the categories of football supporters.It's my view you may have yours

1.The Fan:Likes football generally and  tends to lean toward a particular team or teams because of their football,players,manager,success,etc.While someone can be a fan of football for life most club fans usually support for 1-5 years.The fan is also more likely to shift allegiance to other teams when the going gets tough.If you ask me many Chelsea fans today were probably supporting either Man U or Arsenal prior to that( or at least definitely not Chelsea).Else where were they then.

2.The Supporter:Loves football. Significantly leans towards a particular team or teams beacuse of passion built over time usually longer than the fan.This passion comes from their past successes,their football,players,etc.The difference between a supporter and a fan really is in the number of years which would give room for ups and downs(to mellow the successes),or exits(if specific players or managers was the reason for the initial support)Many Arsenal supporters got on board because of Kanu but some still remained even after he left(they have moved from being fans to supporters)
Many Man U fans came on board during the glory years of the 90s .The fans have left to other clubs(names witheld)while the supporters remain.

3.The Loyalists:In love with football,their football.They know of only one team and they will die for their team.A lot of Man U and Arsenal guys claim to be this but you may never truly know until your team has a perenial drought of trophies,begin to play very badly or maybe even move to a lower division.People who support the Nottingham Forests ,West Hams etc of this world may fall into this category.You can only be a loyalist after so many years of support usually not less than 20 for one particular team.It has nothing to do with whether you support a club that has not won a trophy(so a Bolton supporter of 5 years cannot claim to be a loyalist ) I have a friend here in Nigeria who has supported West Ham for 20 years and still does(they've only won 1 trophy in that period,been to lower rungs and back a few times)I knew of the Haywoods and Gabbidons well before they got to the prem through him. It's just love for a team which only time can build.

I think it's good to have this healthy passion.Only thing is a lot of Chelsea fans need to relax and learn their history to be more rounded supporters.There's really nothing bad in supporting a team only yesterday only thing is to try to learn some of their illustrous history even if only the very recent ones to better appreciate their team(bought for 1 pound by Ken Bates,the fantastic players over the years(wise,gullit,vialli,desailly,zola,hughes,dorigo,etc)the search for the then elusive league trophies(won FA Cups and Cup winners cup in the 90s),their continental style football even in England,etc).Then their passion will not be seen as too hollow by opposition supporters.Presently,except for a few Chelsea fans many of them just blow hot air.

WAN UNITED!
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 12:58pm On Feb 12, 2007
@All

There is no current craze in Chelsea.

Up till now, United and Arsenals fans are still by far well-rooted and many than Chelsea even in Nairaland.

@Akinlabi

I think MK is.
Beside roundabout, look at the construction allowance between the main road and the buildings. Its amazing.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by akinalabi(m): 8:22pm On Feb 12, 2007
Hello again,

Manu4life, your post was brilliant. Although I disagree with some points
you made, I cannot take anything away from it's brilliance.

I like this thread. We've been seeing only knowledgeable people and hope
it remains that way.

Have you all noticed that the so called Chelsea fans have not
responded?

Akolawole, you sure have a point as regards the construction allowance
between the main road and the buildings. I really marvel at it's concept.

But don't be decieved. That's probably where it ends.

What do you think?

Akin Alabi

=
=
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 8:36pm On Feb 12, 2007
Chelsea is jst a yesterday club and their fans can not be as dedicated as some of us.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 8:54pm On Feb 12, 2007
akinalabi:

responded?

9ja4eva:

Chelsea is jst a yesterday club and their fans can not be as dedicated as some of us.

We(Chelsea fans) may not be FANATICS but we are happy with our club.

Gentility is not stupidity, please watch your statements.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 10:27pm On Feb 12, 2007
Akolawole:

We(Chelsea fans) may not be FANATICS but we are happy with our club.

Gentility is not stupidity, please watch your statements.

I didnt mean it that way.I jst meant they are not as commitd as other supporters
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 12:12pm On Feb 13, 2007
9ja4eva:

I didnt mean it that way.I jst meant they are not as commitd as other supporters

What is your definition of commitment?
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by mukina2: 2:10pm On Feb 13, 2007
akola chelsea fans are not fanatic shocked

say the ones you know grin grin
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 4Play(m): 2:25pm On Feb 13, 2007
If a person in his infancy adopts a team simply because they are on top,that is tolerable

I ,like Akinlabi,started supporting Man Utd in the 94/95 season partly because they had won the league in the previous 2 seasons and partly because they seemed to be the only team at the time that kept the ball on the ground in the Premiership,when most teams were playing the long ball.

At the time,I was about 13 years of age.

At around that age u are free to adopt any team u want and then most people my age supported AC Milan/Ajax .

What i think annoys most people is when full grown adults,who have been supporting a particular team for years,suddenly change and adopt another team .Someone I know,in his early 30s was a long time Arsenal supporter,now a die hard Blues fan.

Like I said,I can't begrudge a little kid who adopts Chelsea now,but a grown man,,,,,,,,
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Vieira(m): 2:41pm On Feb 13, 2007
Milton Keynes is horrible.

It is a soulless town and so is Basildon.

You are the first person to say they like the place, trying living there and you'll change your tune.

MK is the only place I know that can give directions by counting the number of roundabouts!!
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Vieira(m): 2:44pm On Feb 13, 2007
commintment is staying by your team after many years of doing nothing and playing crap.

Not one minute saying Arsenal till i die and then next Chelsea till I die. angry
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by wormedup(m): 4:12pm On Feb 13, 2007
akinalabi:

responded?

that's childishness in the maximum exhibition possible !
stop talking like a kid unless u r one.

now that u've taken it upon urself to break ur neck over fans and the clubs they support, i know a very easy way to make u snap ur neck.
try jumpin off the petronas, head first !

i keep saying it, what is ur biz with when whoever started supporting whatever club
ok. u fell in love with shooting stars at age 9. so u didn't know about football and clubs until u were 9 ! ?

there's an adage in igbo, translates thus "whenever someone wakes up from sleep becomes the persons' morning".
did u expect everybody to join a footie fan base the same time with u?

man u's fan base was below what it is now last season; and i might decide to be adamant and stick to the fact that u became a man u fan last year !
anyone can say what they want, what's ur prob with that ?

abeg, make we leave this issue, it's totally a ludicrous point on argument !
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 5:21pm On Feb 13, 2007
@ Vieria

I want the guy to define it for me.

Lets leave the issue of MK for now.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 7:37pm On Feb 13, 2007
Akolawole:

What is your definition of commitment?

Commitment in the sense that they are not heart,body or soul to Chelsea.They jst love it cos dey are winning now not the history or the likes other fans love about their club.I dont know if u get dis bt feel d direction am going.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:44pm On Feb 13, 2007
There are many Chelski bandwagon riders out there. Enough said !
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 7:54pm On Feb 13, 2007
Good
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by akinalabi(m): 2:47am On Feb 14, 2007
Howdy all,

wormedup, that was totally unnecessary. "Jumping off the
petronas to break my neck?" My goodness!!!

Well, I won't join issues,

To everyone else that has contributed thus far.

I took this up because of what I observed during my last visit. What
I wonder is those Chelsea fans have been football supporters
for years and they surely had team they were supporting.

I've used Chelsea as the case study because they are the
English champions and they are the rave. I would have asked
the same thing if it was Wigan or Watford.

I agree with 4play as regards infants supporting the "current"
club. They can grow to become life long supporters.

What about those who were supporting other teams in the past
but now support another. That means they will support
another team tomorrow.

Are they true fans? That's the question and the purpose
of this thread. Not to trade insults.

Fine we can have a dig at each other occassionaly but it should
be done in a matured fashion.

We all can't support the same team, and I respect other people's
positions and actions even if we disagree in principle.

Akolawole is a Chelsea fan I reckon, and his views are that
of a sound mind. So this is not a personal issue.

Back to the crux of the matter.

Such people (that criss cross due to success) are they true
fans? Are they the ones that form the base of Chelsea fans in
Nigeria?

Sond minds please?

Akin Alabi

=
=
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by wormedup(m): 7:25pm On Feb 14, 2007
akinalabi:

I took this up because of what I observed during my last visit. What
I wonder is those Chelsea fans have been football supporters
for years and they surely had team they were supporting.

piece of advise man; speak for urself and urself only.

the only football team i supported before becoming a chelsea fan are the NIGERIAN NATIONAL TEAMS !

an i started supporting chelsea yesterday ! so what u goin do now this is becoming really annoying now angry

really, u didn't have to take anything up. why didn't u just do a research on ur team and find out why the fan base is so huge in 9ja now ??
somethings are meant to be left to die off.
during last year's UCL finals, a bunch of arsenal fans jumped on my car; i said it once and i let it fly !
i still have enough reasons to be mad at them - i see the dent on the hood everyday - but it's the variations u get from footie ! talk about something else abeg .

i guess u are really getting something out of this - ok, grin enjoy cool
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 10:10pm On Feb 14, 2007
Chelsea's fan base is nt huge compared to Manchester United and Arsenal fans in Nigeria.Really sha when we stand your people shld try and respect cos we have been dere ever since.Most Chelsea fans left dese clubs cos Chelsea started winning and dts d most reason i dont see them as supporters you know.
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Mustay(m): 12:40pm On Feb 15, 2007
@akola stop wastin your time. I dunno when some people want to grow up. DOES d guy need a statistic of chelsea fans 10 years ago;@ least ROTHMAN's LEAGUE used 2 show on NTA then even if DSTV was HIGH! Akola, just let the topic 'drown', remain blue!
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by kaydee(m): 4:35pm On Feb 15, 2007
Yeah!Most people joined Man Utd coz of da trebble.Most People joined Arsenal coz of KanU and some left when he left. Bolton got fans in Nigeria coz of Jay-Jay and they disappered when he left, People just love catching in on a good thing. Chelsea got fans coz everybody loves a winner.

[size=16pt]Just Bury this ish and i hope this be the last post.If u post anything here again,i go vex oh![/size]
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by 9ja4eva: 9:12pm On Feb 15, 2007
kaydee:

Yeah!Most people joined Man Utd because of da trebble.Most People joined Arsenal because of KanU and some left when he left. Bolton got fans in Nigeria because of Jay-Jay and they disappered when he left, People just love catching in on a good thing. Chelsea got fans because everybody loves a winner.

[size=16pt]Just Bury this ish and i hope this be the last post.If u post anything here again,i go vex oh![/size]

Hmm.So Chelsea fans think they are with winners.Kaydee yu wan vex abi?
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Abdblues(m): 7:52am On Feb 16, 2007
Man U fans often apply a diffrent rule when it comes to thier clubs! It is a fact that most people support the winning team!and thre are so many many Man U fans that fall into this category. I know Many 'Man U till i die' fans that started supporting the club after the treble!
@ Akinlabi, if you really want to know that Man U is no different, you can do a researh to find out Man U's fan base Pre 93 and and after 1999, You will be surprised at your findings
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by akinalabi(m): 1:12pm On Feb 16, 2007
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the contribution.

I susupected the thread would hurt the Chelse "fans", and it did.

No mailice. But I've found out what I wanted to know.

Cheers,

Akin Alabi

=
=
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Akolawole(m): 1:50pm On Feb 16, 2007
akinalabi:

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the contribution.

I susupected the thread would hurt the Chelse "fans", and it did.

No mailice. But I've found out what I wanted to know.

What did you want to know?

I will send one of my girls to deal with you now?
Re: Did You Know Any Chelsea Fan 10 Years Ago? by Razorr(f): 2:02pm On Feb 16, 2007
Oga Akola, please send him that your hot girl that looks like Lara Croft! grin grin

She go deal with am well well. . . cheesy

LMAO

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shut The Fu, Okocha / Ronaldo Gone Fat / Female Referee Runs For Safety As Angry Players Chase To Hand Her Serious Beatin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.