Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car (13740 Views)

9 Places Car VIN (vehicle Identification Number) Is Located (Photos) / 9 Facts You Need To Know About Your Car VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) / 7 Unethical Things Vulcanizers Do That Car Users Don't Like (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by AutoJoshNG: 7:03am On Aug 16, 2017
One of the most important checks you should carry out when buying your tokunbo or some Nigerian used cars is a VIN check. The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a 17 character alpha-numeric code that is unique for each vehicle.. and it can be used to check the entire history record that has been reported on each car.

Some of the information you can get through VIN checks are:

1. To check if the car has been involved in an accident
2. To check nature and extent of any accident that may have occured
3. To check if it is a flooded car
4. To ascertain the last reported mileage and determine if the odometer has been rolled back
5. To know if the car has been recalled and the type of recall
6. It shows the number of owners. I am sure you won't want to buy a 2010 car that has been used by 10 people.
7. It would be nice to know if the airbags of the car you are buying ever deployed especially if the deployed just before exporting it to Nigeria.
8. The VIN tells the type of title document the car had before export. If it had a clean title, salvage title, rebuilt title, parts only title (dismantled title), non-repairable title etc.
9. Are you buying a car that was stolen before export! The VIN report can help you clarify.
10. It tells the location the car was used. Whether USA, Canada, European countries etc.. as well as the state or province.
11. It tells you the year of purchase and if it was used as a personal or business vehicle.
12. It gives the service history of the car e.g oil change, tyre replacement, brake check etc..

Note: The importance of VIN checks cannot be overemphasized but to not rely solely on it as some VINs may have been altered and some records may have been omitted or not reported.

https://autojosh.com/12-reasons-car-vin-check-buy-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

10 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by eezeribe(m): 7:04am On Aug 16, 2017
VIN check is very important... the one that annoys me most is when I discover a rolled back mileage,which most of our dealers engage in.
There is also the issue of 'refurbished' Salvage vehicles,sold as 'clean' tokunbo.
MAY GOD BLESS EVERYBODY.... NOTHING BEATS BRAND NEW.

1 Like

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by harmony940(m): 7:38am On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for this lovely information,but Bro how do we check it,I will really appreciate that...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 16, 2017
AutoJosh is back
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 16, 2017
angry
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Dottore: 8:05am On Aug 16, 2017
Well-done op. Part of the reason why there are too too many scammers in the "autos" section of Nairaland.

They will post photos of a car for sale then:
They want you to call a certain number before you can know the price of the car.

When you demand to know the VIN or mileage of the car they will end the conversation or tell you that the car is not immediately within their reach so they will get back to you and they never will. When you call them back to remind or follow up they will avoid your call like a plague.

When you wish to come over for physical inspection or to send someone then you are told it has suddenly been driven to be inspected by another buyer in a far away location.

They will request you to send some money for a driver to bring it to you so you inspect and pay.

They usually start with small sums like 20k telling you it's part payment for the driver. That you'd pay the balance when he arrives when you eventually pays they call u in a few hours begging you to part with additional sum so they could change the oil that when they arrive you can deduct your money from the payment you are supposed to make.

They re-advertise a car that someone has posted somewhere and even declared sold

When you point out perceived inconsistencies in their communication they become aggressive and abusive.

My friend and new Nairalander has lost close to 90k to them. I suggest the mods should find a way of regulating the activities of this clowns as its now very hard to know the genuine dealers.

God save us all

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Sojebrand(m): 8:05am On Aug 16, 2017
K
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Dandsome: 8:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Oboy, forget VIN and take a look at the pix OP inserted here. Imagine the kind accident that will be. Just imagine how the person that will be brought out of the car will look. OP suppose write "Graphic Pix"

Nice info OP

2 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Engrobiorah(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2017
How can the check be done

3 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by hnsoncon(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2017
nice one OP, very informative
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by strawb(f): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2017
That's good
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Hez143(m): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks man!!good info
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by MemphisRaynes: 8:09am On Aug 16, 2017
Pls provide link where we can search VIN and get vehicle history

3 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by mescan(m): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2017
How do I check it and where will i see the vin number on the vehicle, i mean on which part of the vehicle
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Trustme2(m): 8:12am On Aug 16, 2017
Engrobiorah:
How can the check be done
There's this 17 digit right in front on the windscreen by the dash board. Copy the numbers and send to someone who can help you check the history using that number at a fee. I think here, its about 3-4k

1 Like

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by honestivo(m): 8:12am On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks ,but pls how can we go about the checking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by TopGunFighter: 8:15am On Aug 16, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
One of the most important checks you should carry out when buying your tokunbo or some Nigerian used cars is a VIN check. The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a 17 character alpha-numeric code that is unique for each vehicle.. and it can be used to check the entire history record that has been reported on each car.

4. To ascertain the last reported mileage and determine if the odometer has been rolled back
6. It shows the number of owners. I am sure you won't want to buy a 2010 car that has been used by 10 people.
7. It would be nice to know if the airbags of the car you are buying ever deployed especially if the deployed just before exporting it to Nigeria.
8. The VIN tells the type of title document the car had before export. If it had a clean title, salvage title, rebuilt title, parts only title (dismantled title), non-repairable title etc.
9. Are you buying a car that was stolen before export! The VIN report can help you clarify.
10. It tells the location the car was used. Whether USA, Canada, European countries etc.. as well as the state or province.
11. It tells you the year of purchase and if it was used as a personal or business vehicle.
12. It gives the service history of the car e.g oil change, tyre replacement, brake check etc..

Note: The importance of VIN checks cannot be overemphasized but to not rely solely on it as some VINs may have been altered and some records may have been omitted or not reported.

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun
how can one check the VIN number because that's what many dealers do this days buy salvaged vehicles and sell them for the price of new. I was opportune to meet a dealer and when he told me how much he both his cars and how he sold them with 'abeg' he was practically making twice the amount
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by SkenolProp(m): 8:16am On Aug 16, 2017
Nigerians no get time for due diligence when it comes to cars.They just want to be seen cruising around in it. grin grin grin #MY PROFILE!!!
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Demms(f): 8:17am On Aug 16, 2017
I will like to buy a car, should I go for tokunbo or Nigeria use and please how is VIN used to check. thanks
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Praktikals(m): 8:21am On Aug 16, 2017
Trustme2:

There's this 17 digit right in front on the windscreen by the dash board. Copy the numbers and send to someone who can help you check the history using that number at a fee. I think here, its about 3-4k
If you believe this will work in Nigeria, my dear, you are on a very long thing. Nigeria that does not know the number of its citizens.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Trustme2(m): 8:22am On Aug 16, 2017
Sharing part of the Press Release recently released by VinCheck.Info

Las Vegas, Nevada (PRWEB) July 30, 2017

VinCheck.Info, a new online vehicle research service, will be officially launched on August 1, 2017 to provide free vehicle history reports as an alternative to paid services from Carfax and its competitors. Both buyers and sellers can easily use the service to check records associated with a vehicle identification number (VIN), such as title records (including mileage), accident records, and potential title brands.

A vehicle history report provides information about a used car's history in key areas relevant to a buyer's purchase decision. Sellers may also offer it to boost their prospective customers’ confidence and to prove their commitment to giving full disclosure about a car's history. The key to a car's past is the VIN which identifies a particular car in registration documents, insurance records, sales records, and other transactions within the country. These events leave a paper trail that may indicate issues with the car's value and safety.

Traditional vehicle history services are offering VIN reports for a price ranging from just under $10 to $40 for a single report. Carfax's reports are the most popular, but they are also the most expensive. VinCheck.Info is breaking this traditional paywall around vehicle history by giving away the report with advertisers covering the cost.

You can read the complete release here http://www.prweb.com/releases/vincheck/freevehiclehistoryreport/prweb14544598.htm

2 Likes

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Trustme2(m): 8:27am On Aug 16, 2017
Praktikals:

If you believe this will work in Nigeria, my dear, you are on a very long thing. Nigeria that does not know the number of its citizens.
Vin Checks is not done for Nigerian used vehicles. Its only done for used vehicle used abroad before shipment to Nigeria. Oversees, they keep good records of these vehicles and u can assess the state of the cars using the VIN before shipment of the cars to Nigeria. VINs practically provides you with vital information's about the car pre-shipment and guides your decision whether to buy or not based on the information gathered through the VIN

1 Like

Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by afamaustin(m): 8:27am On Aug 16, 2017
Demms:
I will like to buy a car, should I go for tokunbo or Nigeria use and please how is VIN used to check. thanks
bring the money let invest it in business after u buy it and if u ar still single better for us
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by donqx: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2017
hmmm
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Oxenomy: 8:36am On Aug 16, 2017
vincheckup.cm or vincheckpro.cm
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by chibecan: 8:53am On Aug 16, 2017
Demms:
You can conveniently get comprehensive VIN history report for any car from USA and Canada in less than one hour for a small fee.
Check out here:https://www.nairaland.com/2462445/full-autocheck-vehicle-history-reports
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by chibecan: 8:54am On Aug 16, 2017
TopGunFighter:
how can one check the VIN number because that's what many dealers do this days buy salvaged vehicles and sell them for the price of new. I was opportune to meet a dealer and when he told me how much he both his cars and how he sold them with 'abeg' he was practically making twice the amount
You can conveniently get comprehensive VIN history report for any car from USA and Canada in less than one hour for a small fee.
Check out here: https://www.nairaland.com/2462445/full-autocheck-vehicle-history-reports
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by tk4rd: 9:07am On Aug 16, 2017
Please, How is the VIN check done please.?
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Praktikals(m): 9:09am On Aug 16, 2017
Trustme2:
Vin Checks is not done for Nigerian used vehicles. Its only done for used vehicle used abroad before shipment to Nigeria. Oversees, they keep good records of these vehicles and u can assess the state of the cars using the VIN before shipment of the cars to Nigeria. VINs practically provides you with vital information's about the car pre-shipment and guides your decision whether to buy or not based on the information gathered through the VIN
I See. Thanks for the info.
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by three: 9:18am On Aug 16, 2017
It is cheaper to clear a car without airbags than one with!

99% of the tokunboh cars are accidented.

Many are missing airbags (including recent models)
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by Segibambo(m): 9:25am On Aug 16, 2017
We’ll be diving head first to creating our first video. In the first part, we looked at a detailed description of the user interface of our choice software, VideoScribe. The basic elements of a whiteboard video being a script/storyboard, voice over and post production process.

Writing your first Script and Story Board

Script

We’ll be making a short script and storyboard for a hypothetical company called Blue-Hyphen, a security solution company that prevents cyber attacks and other related security issues....

Read more... https://www.nairaland.com/3991553/learn-how-create-whiteboard-video
Re: 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car by RuggedSniper: 9:27am On Aug 16, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

^^
Great! grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have Kids Ever Written Crazy Stuffs On Your Car ? / 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria / Please Can A Kia Picanto Transit Between Lagos And Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.