Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection (5985 Views)

Why Bini And Isan Can't Just Settle Their Differences. / So You Think Ika Is Bini And Not Igbo? Checkout One To Ten In Ika / Addressing The Jewish - Igbo Connection (my Opinion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by ModsWillKillNL: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

LOL
Na you go stop am ?

It has already stopped!
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by totit: 2:16pm On Aug 16, 2017
markfemisgay:
The binis and igbos own lagos that is the simple truth.

Just like yoruba and bini people own the whole of SE. That's facts nobody can dispute bro take a look at the crown of oba of onitcha

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Omofunaab2: 2:18pm On Aug 16, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

The last LG elections have shown us that the aberration won't happen again.

2019 will soon be here.

All these guys you are quoting don't reside in lagos, they stay in abakaliki

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 16, 2017
markfemisgay:
The binis and igbos own lagos that is the simple truth.
Peace be upon you for saying the truth.

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2017
ModsWillKillNL:

It has already stopped!
you are confusing Lagos LG elections with Lagos-House-of-Reps election
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by markfemisgay: 2:21pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

Peace be upon you for saying the truth.
cheesy
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2017
Alariwo2:
Igbos are well known land grabbers.. so this story might just be true.

Hope the Ijaws, Ikweres and co. in Niger Delta gets to see this. Igbos will take their Oil and dislodge them if they ever get the chance
We the south-south crew have arrived grin grin grin
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Alariwo2: 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2017
totit:

Just like yoruba and bini people own the whole of SE. That's facts nobody can dispute bro take a look at the crown of oba of onitcha

But wait o.. Igbos call their rulers Igwe, Eze etc.

They had to change "Oba" to "Obi" and even Onitcha to Onitsha to suit their agenda.. See craftiness o

Choi!.. Binis must wake up and reclaim their territory
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by christopher123(m): 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2017
Do Benin man bear eze chima ?

Can anyone tell us the traces of Benin language in Onitsha

People should stop this Benin....thing

Is it not the small Benin I know
mesoprogress:

Exactly my point. Bini was small but had a united kingdom. They could have sent Eze Chima to rule Onitsha. But then Onitsha already had indigenous population. In fact the Eze Chima might be Igbo who absconded from Bini. All Igbo languages and market days in Bini were borrowed from larger Igbo ethnic group

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Diademk07: 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

The OP does not realize the import of the logic he/she is spinning.

If Onitsha belongs to the Bini, then the case can be pushed that Bini land is part of Igbo 'diaspora' grin grin grin

3 Ibo candidates indeed beacuse oghene egbor is Ibo? Osu and stupidity, quite synonymous!

Anyway, Ibo's chest beating and nuisance has made every Yoruba to become wiser as you've seen in the last LG chairman election. Those aforementioned 2 Ibos will be the last Ibos in any of SW government. You can carry your 2x2 shops and leaders back to your landlocked redmud region!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by totit: 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2017
Alariwo2:

But wait o.. Igbos call their rulers Igwe, Eze etc.

They had to change "Oba" to "Obi" and even Onitcha to Onitsha to suit their agenda.. See craftiness o

Choi!.. Binis must wake up and reclaim their territory

Exactly.
I wish bini can read this eye opening info. We must spread the message shocked

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 16, 2017
christopher123:
Do Benin man bear eze chima ?

Can anyone tell us the traces of Benin language in Onitsha

People should stop this Benin....thing

Is it not the small Benin I know
If Chima already had the title of "Eze" (king) while in Bini Kingdom, then we need to investigate which part of Bini kingdom that Chima ruled over

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2017
Diademk07:

3 Ibo candidates indeed beacuse oghene egbor is Ibo? Osu and stupidity, quite synonymous!

Anyway, Ibo's chest beating and nuisance has made every Yoruba to become wiser as you've seen in the last LG chairman election. Those aforementioned 2 Ibos will be the last Ibos in any of SW government. You can carry your 2x2 shops and leaders back to your landlocked redmud region!
LOL . . .sophistication
Again, stop confusing LG elections with house-of-reps elections
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Diademk07: 2:42pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

LOL . . .sophistication
Again, stop confusing LG elections with house-of-reps elections

Lmao.. As if your brothers didn't contest in the last LG elections..

Like I already stated, take your leaders back to your landlocked redmud region 'cos we don't need noisy nuisance in the SW.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by ModsWillKillNL: 2:49pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

you are confusing Lagos LG elections with Lagos-House-of-Reps election

We shall see!
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2017
Diademk07:

Lmao.. As if your brothers didn't contest in the last LG elections..

Like I already stated, take your leaders back to your landlocked redmud region 'cos we don't need noisy nuisance in the SW.
Igbo amaka
We must enjoy the dividends of this our One Naijeriya together oh grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Sanchez01: 3:51pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

If Chima already had the title of "Eze" (king) while in Bini Kingdom, then we need to investigate which part of Bini kingdom that Chima ruled over
You don't seem to get it; Chima never ruled. He was only aggrieved over some conspiracies in the ancient Bini Kingdom. Sadly, he was never crowned as he left in the company of some persons to birth the present day Onitsha. It is safe to note that he didn't cross the Niger without the help of the Igala people before arriving at Onitsha.

I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima, a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior, Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.
- Philip Emeagwali.

The word 'Obi' is a perverted word 'Oba', which is the term Yorubas use in reference to their kings. There are several theories about the name 'Onitsha', but one of them is 'Orisha', a Yoruba word meaning 'god' or 'demi-god' or 'deity'.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 16, 2017
Sanchez01:

You don't seem to get it; Chima never ruled. He was only aggrieved over some conspiracies in the ancient Bini Kingdom. Sadly, he was never crowned as he left in the company of some persons to birth the present day Onitsha. It is safe to note that he didn't cross the Niger without the help of the Igala people before arriving at Onitsha.
This kind of rumor mongering makes you happy grin grin

Sanchez01:

The word 'Obi' is a perverted word 'Oba', which is the term Yorubas use in reference to their kings. There are several theories about the name 'Onitsha', but one of them is 'Orisha', a Yoruba word meaning 'god' or 'demi-god' or 'deity'.
Obi is not a perverted word for Oba.

Come down to Imo/Abia and the word Obi means the house where the father of a polygamous family lives, usually alone.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Sanchez01: 4:17pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

This kind of rumor mongering makes you happy grin grin

Obi is not a perverted word for Oba.

Come down to Imo/Abia and the word Obi means the house where the father of a polygamous family lives, usually alone.
Tell me, please. What is the meaning of the word 'Obi' in Igbo and how does it refer to Royalty??
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by christopher123(m): 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2017
zenmaster:

Mind you, it was not stated that Chima had a title EZE in Benin, who gave him the title, who coronated him and where was this taken place

Eze is a common igbo name and also a title

In this case, Eze in CHima's case is a first name while Chima is the surname

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by SlayerForever: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2017
Obdk:
everybody come from benin. but benin no get population.....

Nnaa God bless you.
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by SlayerForever: 8:43pm On Aug 16, 2017
Osaze007:
yes onitsha belongs to the benin people im happy others are taking note

*In Don Jazzy's voice* "Egbon,come and take it".
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by SlayerForever: 8:45pm On Aug 16, 2017
[s]
Sanchez01:

The history of Onitsha is said to have begun with the migration of its people from the Benin Empire towards the end of early part of the 16th century as a result of a wave of unrest, war and displacement unleashed by the Islamic movement from North Africa. One version said that it was during their passage through the outskirts of Ile-Ife that they acquired the name Onitsha, a corruption of Orisha Udo.

Another version has it that their migration to East of the Niger has to do with a misunderstanding that arose between the Onitsha family and Oba Esigie (1404-1550), following the slighting of their shrine, Udo, by the Oba. According to the legend, it was customary for newly installed Oba to pay homage to all important shrines in the Benin Kingdom by slaughtering a cow in the shrines enclave. But Oba Esigie is said to have refused to do this at the Onitsha people’s Udo-Shrine, hence the quarrel and the migration down towards the River Niger area and across it.

Ukpabi disagrees with the Oba Esigie angle and posits that the misunderstanding and migration was rather as a result of “a fight over a farmland. These other people fighting over farmland with the others and interest started coming. And because of interest, bitterness ensued and the two brothers decided to go their separate ways. One said, no, ‘I will now leave you, I’m going to Ado N’Idu.’ ‘Ado’ means border. ‘I will leave you and go and settle down on my own. I’m no longer going to be with you.’ That’s the issue. So, the two brothers had to separate.”
http://www.edoworld.net/History_of_Onitsha.html
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by SlayerForever: 8:46pm On Aug 16, 2017
Obdk:

small benin wil fight all d way to onitsha cross river Niger to conquer residents...

abeg tell us another story....

they claim Onitsha monarch dress like benin monarch.. but they wont tell u its the same whites who buy slaves from them supply the wears. they will likely be similar...
u can't rule out culture sharing...

non of our ancient Nnewi story mentioned benin kingdom. dont forget Nnewi is 20 mins from Onitsha...

My place is even closer. Cock_and bull stories is all they spew here. Edo bakwa oku.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by Viktor1983(m): 9:13pm On Sep 16, 2017
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by NairaHercules24: 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2020
Sanchez01:

Are you just being funny or something? Did you say 'small Benin' just so you could exalt the then Onitsha

We are talking about an event that dates back to the 16th century and the then Bini kingdom was far ahead, civilization-wise. It is no brainer how they conquered territories easily.

Besides, you don't view history over walking or driving distance. The question you should have asked is; which is older between Onitsha and Nnewi? That way, it would be easier to figure or note when each came into existence and how it did. Nnewi's history might not have the record of Onitsha probably because the 16th century birthing of Onitsha far precedes the existence of Nnewi.

About the crossing of the river... Well, I think the piece below suffices.

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topics/yoruba-igbo-benin-historical-conection

Conquers territories easily? shocked I laugh in Spanish.

Stop overrating your tiny kingdom. Benin kingdom was nothing more than farm land and mud huts. There was no education, no religion no nothing.

You guys may have conquered other kingdoms because you had guns that the Portuguese taught you guys how to create, but not Igbo kingdoms. The igbos had very strong warriors.

How was tiny agbor kingdom able to hault the “almighty” bini progression to the East (Igbo land)

Does eze chima even sound like a bini name to you?
It has already been proven that eze chima was an aro priest that migrated to Benin to preach the Odinani gospel.

Nri kingdom was way more advanced than the bini kingdom, yet we don’t brag about it. Ask me if you want me to explain how.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by NairaHercules24: 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2020
totit:

Are you dumb?

How does his crown look like a bini crown?

Lagos will forever remain Igbo-bini land, and there’s nothing you come gears can do about it.
You better stick with your open defecation brown roof enclaves, namely:

Ekiti
Ogun
Oyo
Osun

Any attempt to annex lagos (bini-Igbo land) and Ondo (ijaw land) will be met with serious resistance. We will give you cone heads Fagba treatment angry

https://dailypost.ng/2017/05/03/lagos-not-belong-yorubas-oba-akiolu/

This is how the eze nris dressed based on archeological evidence and pictures.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by totit: 11:17pm On Oct 31, 2020
[s]
NairaHercules24:

Are you dumb?

Lagos will forever remain Igbo-bini land, and there’s nothing you come gears can do about it.

Ekiti
Ogun
Oyo
Osun

Any attempt to annex lagos (bini-Igbo land) and Ondo (ijaw land) will be met with serious resistance. We will give you cone heads Fagba treatment angry

[/s]

What a bunch of delusions and ignorant in one post. Well, you sure reason like someone out of place, more like someone whose sanity is nowhere in sight, out of sight, and not in sight for usage nor what's realistically obtainable.

I am sorry, it is what it is, showing up out of the blue and conjuring up your imaginary beliefs won't change a thing.

This reminds me of ' Sound like a loser on the loose. : grin cheesy

The west and edo owns the whole of ibo land especially anambra, they are not indigenous to ibo people. Now, take that to the bank. grin

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by NairaHercules(m): 1:03am On Nov 01, 2020
totit:
[s][/s]

What a bunch of delusions and ignorant in one post. Well, you sure reason like someone out of place, more like someone whose sanity is nowhere in sight, out of sight, and not in sight for usage nor what's realistically obtainable.

I am sorry, it is what it is, showing up out of the blue and conjuring up your imaginary beliefs won't change a thing.

This reminds me of ' Sound like a loser on the loose. : grin cheesy

The west and edo owns the whole of ibo land especially anambra, they are not indigenous to ibo people. Now, take that to the bank. grin

Lol ediat.

You have no proof of that but we all have proof that all yeruba land is owned by the bini.

Odudufraud was a bini prince that founded the whole yeruba tribe.

You people are children of binis grin

Heediats!
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by totit: 1:15am On Nov 01, 2020
NairaHercules:

Lol ediat.

You have no proof of that but we all have proof that all yeruba land is owned by the bini.

Odudufraud was a bini prince that founded the whole yeruba tribe.

You people are children of binis grin

Heediats!

The doctor that discharged you without establishing your sanity is MAD! grin
Re: Onitsha: The Bini And Igbo Connection by NairaHercules(m): 1:25am On Nov 01, 2020
NairaHercules24:

Are you dumb?

Lagos will forever remain Igbo-bini land, and there’s nothing you cone head can do about it.

Ekiti
Ogun
Oyo
Osun

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Foolishness Of Igbos And The Yorubas / Frank Talk About Race And Racism / Re-branding: N’assembly Seeks Source Of Funding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.