Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" (868 Views)

Militants Give Condition To Stop Bombings In N’delta / Deplorable State Of Roads In The Oil City Of Warri (pictures) / Fulani Nomads, Soldiers Kill Four In N’delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Enjoyment1(f): 6:03pm On Feb 16, 2010
Institute proposes bill for another FCT in N’Delta
TUESDAY, 16 FEBRUARY 2010 00:00 NIGERIAN COMPASS

PATRIOTIC Legislative Institute (PLI) in collaboration with the Niger Delta Peoples’ Assembly has proposed a bill for the creation of a Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in the Niger Delta to be called the “Federal Territory for Oil City (FTO) Act”.

Addressing newsmen in Owerri, the Imo State capital, the group described the proposed bill as the needed panacea for the lingering Niger Delta debacle.

The Chairman of PLI, Dr Philip Njemanze and the President of the NDPA, Dr Mike Adams, said on the Niger Delta problem is creating undesirable turbulence in the oil market.

Describing the proposed bill as an “agitational menu for an oil city (Federal Territory for Oil City - FTO)” to complement the ongoing amnesty initiative by the Federal Government and the Niger Delta development plans by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Njemanze said the bill, if passed into law, would be a permanent solution to the Niger Delta logjam.

He further clarified that the FTO would have a constitutional legal status similar to that of the FCT Abuja, and Lagos in the past, adding that the constitutional amendment should reflect the changes in boundaries and local governments.

“After the law is promulgated, the President would appoint a Development Authority to administer the FTO,” said Njemanze.

He also noted that there would be no federal take-over of existing oil wells that has been already allotted to affected states within the FTO.

http://www.compassnews.net/Ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41296:institute-proposes-bill-for-another-fct-in-ndelta&catid=43:news&Itemid=799
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Enjoyment1(f): 6:08pm On Feb 16, 2010
Enjoyment1:

He further clarified that the FTO would have a constitutional legal status similar to that of the FCT Abuja, and Lagos in the past, adding that the constitutional amendment should reflect the changes in boundaries and local governments.

“After the law is promulgated, the President would appoint a Development Authority to administer the FTO,” said Njemanze.

He also noted that there would be no federal take-over of existing oil wells that has been already allotted to affected states within the FTO.

Could this be the beginning of another trouble for Nigeria? This might be another seed, that will soon germinate in Nigeria someday!. Federal Territory for Oil City.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Hardtalk: 6:15pm On Feb 16, 2010
Federal Territory for Oil City grin grin grin. Na wah oh!.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by citizenY(m): 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
There are many countries thst created new capitals - Dodoma, Brasilia and  Germany which moved to
Bonn in 1945 only to return to Berlin a few years ago .

There is no law making it compulsory to develop Abuja so rapidly at the expense of other national
development programmes. This has cost this country a lot not only in monetary terms but also socially
and politically.

More distressing is the rise in corruption across the board. Everything in Abuja is false:-

- False and inflated contracts and corrupt contractors
- Land allocation and bogus property rates
-_Greedy/Inept /Corrupt civil service
- The worst civil service/legislative environment/legislators/judiciary
- a bottomless pit for all that money , people and all that is abhorrent.

AND YOU WANT TO ESTABLISH ANOTHER ONE?

ND people, collect your dues and spend it at home, some dupes are about to commence bizness. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Shoot2Kill: 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2010
Personally i think Abuja was just a move by IBB to secure himself after the Orji failed coup. The same paranoia led him to build his Niger mansion on a hill top far away from other people. I think it is important for the capital city of Nigeria to be located by the sea. Seaside capitals become more industrialized at a faster rate than land locked capitals.

I will support a new capital in Niger delta as long as corruption is not involved.

If they approve the new capital, they must ensure that they create a beautiful city. Nigeria has enough cash to replicate a city like Dubai easily. I really don't know why we have not done that yet. Niger delta has a lot of vacant land on the peninsula that can develop into ultra modern cities.

Who knows maybe Jonathan is secretly behind this move. I support the idea (it is way better than creation of new states)

They should build a new ultra modern stylishly designed airport in the new city and an ultra modern seaport. This will boost Nigeria’s economy and create jobs for the indigenes of the ND.

Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Hardtalk: 7:35pm On Feb 16, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Personally i think Abuja was just a move by IBB to secure himself after the Orji failed coup. The same paranoia led him to build his Niger mansion on a hill top far away from other people. I think it is important for the capital city of Nigeria to be located by the sea. Seaside capitals become more industrialized at a faster rate than land locked capitals.

I will support a new capital in Niger delta as long as corruption is not involved.

If they approve the new capital, they must ensure that they create a beautiful city. Nigeria has enough cash to replicate a city like Dubai easily. I really don't know why we have not done that yet. Niger delta has a lot of vacant land on the peninsula that can develop into ultra modern cities.

Who knows maybe Jonathan is secretly behind this move. I support the idea (it is way better than creation of new states)

They should build a new ultra modern stylishly designed airport in the new city and an ultra modern seaport. This will boost Nigeria’s economy and create jobs for the indigenes of the ND.

I will support the call too to have multiple Capitals, if indeed, it will not involve corruption.
The benefits will be too numerous:

1. It will create employment.
2. It will lead to rapid development.
3. It will create a sense of belonging.
4. Tax payers money will at least for ones, be judiciously used, compared to over blotted Abuja contracts.
5. It [b]may serve [/b]as capital for the whole of Niger Delta. Port-harcourt, is totally out of it.
6. It will bring government closer to the people.
7. Another capital in Niger Delta, may serve as check and balance, and make government more accountable.

These are just the few, amongst the numerous benefits. South Africa has about four capitals, and there is relative peace, except for crime, AIDS, and cry for help by locals, for employment.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Tsiya(m): 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2010
Hardtalk:

I will support the call too to have multiple Capitals, if indeed, it will not involve corruption.
The benefits will be too numerous:

1. It will create employment.
2. It will lead to rapid development.
3. It will create a sense of belonging.
4. Tax payers money will at least for ones, be judiciously used, compared to over blotted Abuja contracts.
5. It [b]may serve [/b]as capital for the whole of Niger Delta. Port-harcourt, is totally out of it.
6. It will bring government closer to the people.
7. Another capital in Niger Delta, may serve as check and balance, and make government more accountable.

These are just the few, amongst the numerous benefits. South Africa has about four capitals, and there is relative peace, except for crime, AIDS, and cry for help by locals, for employment.

We already have multiple capitals. Every state have its own capital and they are suppose to serve as a nerve centre for development. With resources, planning and good governments, the state capitals are suppose to be more devoloped than the federal territory.

Take example of the US. Cities Like LA, NY, Chigago, Atlanta are massive, big, and developed. A city like San Francisco is not even a capital of any state. Individual states are suppose to create wealth, nuture it, and move beyond hand-outs from federal government.

I think Oil is making people Lazy. Now people don't even use their brain to think.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Hardtalk: 10:39pm On Feb 16, 2010
Tsiya:

We already have multiple capitals. Every state have its own capital and they are suppose to serve as a nerve centre for development. With resources, planning and good governments, the state capitals are suppose to be more devoloped than the federal territory.

Take example of the US. Cities Like LA, NY, Chigago, Atlanta are massive, big, and developed. A city like San Francisco is not even a capital of any state. Individual states are suppose to create wealth, nuture it, and move beyond hand-outs from federal government.

I think Oil is making people Lazy. Now people don't even use their brain to think.

I am happy that, you asked the question and at the same time, answered the question. Our states capitals are glorified villages. One need to see how some of them are? Go to Ibadan and see. Go to Akure, and not to mention all the states capitals in the north. Nothing to write home about.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by ezeagu(m): 10:43pm On Feb 16, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

Nigeria has enough cash to replicate a city like Dubai easily. I really don't know why we have not done that yet. Niger delta has a lot of vacant land on the peninsula that can develop into ultra modern cities.

When patriotism goes wrong. embarassed
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by xterra2(m): 11:06pm On Feb 16, 2010
This institute are Crazy,P.S there are out of their mind.they should go see a doctor,and other people agitating for state creation, Nothin will happen like that,
Capital of Niger delta is Niger delta a country or a state NO, imagine capital for oil city there re of course,warri,port hrcourt,calabar e.t.c Let the institute FIGHT FOR GOOD GOVERNANCE in the Niger delta so the governors will even build a capital better than abuja(huh?? embarassed embarassed)instead of saying shit,
And MAYBE it shall bring more violence,but where will it be located?
The affected commutites must demand for settlemet,free things and finally the head of the oil city,which other communities will say no,
This is not possible,
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Eloquence: 10:58pm On Feb 17, 2010
The Federal Territory for Oil City (FTO) is in every oil producing area of an oil rich country. The Big Cities in the US such as Houston, Chicago, New Orleans etc all developed because of Oil and Gas. It is only in the Niger-Delta that, they have been left out. You make it a Federal Territory means that you will have it under Presidential authority that has power over the entire security services that gives the investors confidence. The money to do this is to come from savings, if conflicts seizes in the Niger-Delta. The ND Crisis costs about One Billion USD a month for Nigeria, we could use $20 B to build the basic infrastructure, another $80 Billion will come from Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and another $100 Billion from Internal Direct Investment in the next 5 - 10 years, over $200 billion could be spent on the development of corporate businesses on over 1000 new oil-by products not being used in Nigeria. Yes Corruption has to be checked and this can come from dur vigilance of Nigerians. The FTO will have a fast rail connection to all State Capitals so that within 6 hours you will be able to reach anywhere in Nigeria. The FTO will have Africa's largest seaport, and airport and come the hub for business in Africa, FTO will displace Johannesburg within 20 years. Yes as someone said it will be the Dubai of Sub-Saharan Africa. This is the idea of the Niger Deltans themselves so it will settle the conflict.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Afam(m): 11:05pm On Feb 17, 2010
Shoot2Kill:

The content in bold refers, was Abuja initiated by IBB and who is Orji that planned a coup?
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Otobroto(f): 11:20pm On Feb 17, 2010
I personally prefer good governance, which will rapidly transform that area, than calls for Oil city capital. Even if this is achieved, and there is no good governance, then, it is same of the same.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by toyboy1(m): 11:48pm On Feb 17, 2010
evenly apread development in all niger delta states is more appropraite than the so called FTO
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Abagworo(m): 1:23am On Feb 18, 2010
the area between portharcourt and owerri will make a very good site.omerelu,ubima,umuagwo,mgbirichi area could be developed like abuja to serve the niger deltans.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by becomricch: 2:19am On Feb 18, 2010
It means the capital would have to be in ondo state. That is the only place that have no creek. the others have creek in it. from warri to the end is creek. You cant build a capital city on creek. An engineer would tell you that. The place to put it is Ondo state , which has the land and is in the coast and also a oil state.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Hardtalk: 2:31pm On Feb 18, 2010
Abagworo:

the area between portharcourt and owerri will make a very good site.omerelu,ubima,umuagwo,mgbirichi area could be developed like abuja to serve the niger deltans.

Trust Nigerians, everybody wants development in their areas!. Bros, na dat area you come from? grin grin
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Abagworo(m): 2:40pm On Feb 18, 2010
@hardtalk.truthfully i am not from there.that area is ikwerre-ohaji and has the largest non-mangroove empty land in the niger-delta.the rivers state governor is from there.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by 9jawear(m): 2:48pm On Feb 18, 2010
It reaaly pisses the south south, when they come to abuja, and see what their oil money as done,

they can't beleive it, "see how this northern people don chop our money in the name of federalism chei"

this idea is not a bad one @ all.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by ezeagu(m): 2:55pm On Feb 18, 2010
"My firend, where do you live?"

"Federal Territory for Oil City"

"I'm going to Nigeria next week"

"Oh, what city are you landing in"

"Yo, we're way out here in the Federal Territory for Oil City"

"There are many cities in Nigeria with teeming populations, one is Lagos, the other Other is Port Harcourt. Yet another would be Federal Territory for Oil City."

Sigh, all somebody can do for Nigeria.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Feb 18, 2010
Will day anytime soon think of FCT for gold city? or Cocoa City?
What a nation we have.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Oboma1(m): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2010
ezeagu:

"My firend, where do you live?"

"I'm going to Nigeria next week"

"[color=#990000]Oh, what city are you landing in"[/color]

[color=#990000]"Federal Territory for Oil City"[/color]

"Yo, we're way out here in the Federal Territory for Oil City"

"There are many cities in Nigeria with teeming populations, one is Lagos, the other Other is Port Harcourt. Yet another would be Federal Territory for Oil City."

grin grin grin grin

Sigh, all somebody can do for Nigeria.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by Oboma1(m): 9:01pm On Feb 18, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by selingel: 9:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
I will not hide my feelings here. This call is rubbish. The best is to call for rapid development of Nigeria (especially where these oil is coming from), and the benefit will be too enormous. This call is tribalistic, and will not go down well for us all. Soon, Kainji Dam Federal Capital Territory too will come up from another group, Lake Chad Federal Capital Territory will spring up, River Niger/Benue Federal Capital Territory will not want to be left out. All these will not bring development, if we still have all these coconut heads in government. Tribalism, Bad leadership and corruption are the problems we have. That is all.
Re: Institute Proposes Bill For Anoda Fct In N’delta, To Be Called"fct For Oil City" by shotster50(m): 1:33am On Feb 19, 2010
Have these guys run out of ideas,  Bloody hell, what is a Federal Capital of Oil city Only in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Even Northern Christains Tired Of Hausa Fulani - Their Chickens Roosting At Home / 2011: Zoning Must Be Respected, Says Atiku / What A Disgrace? Our National Assembly Becomes A Boxing Ring.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.