Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,316 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD (2479 Views)

These Animal Babies Grow Up Without Any Help From Parents / I Need Epp I Wanna Start A Kennel Need Help From Anyone In Ebonyi! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 10:29pm On Aug 16, 2017
Hi people, I am a dog lover and until now I don't have pet of my own so finally I am deciding to purchase a GSD and after checking around someone sent me this images and told me they will be available for sale in 5-6weeks however I am confused he said they are full breeds pls i need advice if this is something worth purchasing and if they are really GSD breeds. I have attached image of the pups and parent stock.

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Greene66: 10:42pm On Aug 16, 2017
We need to see clear cut pictures of the Father & Mother of those puppies. Not the mother alone.

Let me explain somethings to you:

- Being fat doesn't mean the GSD is purebred or 'full breed' and being slim or underfed doesn't make the GSD impure.

- Having plenty fur (hair/coat), doesn't mean the GSD is pure or full while having short fur/coat doesn't make it impure.

- Having a long muzzle like the local dog doesn't mean it isn't pure. And having a short muzzle like the youtube/Google pictures doesn't make it pure.

You may wonder:

How do I know a purebred GSD? What are the facts..

1.) The breed standard:- The breed standard vary depending on the kennel club or region. However, 90% of this standard are quite same. You should compare the breed standard with the dog you are looking at to determine if it's pure or not. Not looking at its face or muzzle or color or coat.

2.) Responsiveness/Prey Drive:- How responsive is this dog? Is the dog always looking to run? Always chasing something, always pacing around to do something? Always attentive when being spoken to? If yes, then we have a GSD. GSD is a working breed that likes to work. They love to chase. Love to run. And LOVE TO HUNT.

3.) Vocal Pitch:- A typical GSD has a thick voice with base. This doesn't mean a female GSD with a little sound or a GSD whining isn't a GSD. But it's something to look out for.

4.) Proactiveness:- Does this dog like pulling the leash? Does it like going forward and ahead on walks? This is wrong but if so, you have yourself a GSD.

So my friend, these are just a few of many things that can help determine the purity of a GSD.

You may also wonder what the breed standards of the GSD are. If you wish to know, check the German SV Standards. I for one respect the German standards more than the American or English because the GSD is GERMAN.

But if you insist on me telling you directly if those dogs are pure without stressing yourself to evaluate these points I raised above, fine, post more pictures.

But from what I see above, The mother looks compromised. lipsrsealed

Greene

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by 0b10010011: 10:54pm On Aug 16, 2017
Confirmed Oshodi Shepherd

Can tell you authoritatively that "Ekuke" blood runs in the mother!

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by prinzetobi: 11:21pm On Aug 16, 2017
0b10010011:

Authoritatively you say?? How can you be so authoritative about a dog you did not breed or know nothing about her ancestry?
Make your speculations constructively not authoritatively.
OP The dogs aren't bad however more pics would allow us make proper assessment

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by 0b10010011: 11:24pm On Aug 16, 2017
prinzetobi:

Authoritatively you say?? How can you be so authoritative about a dog you did not breed or know nothing about her ancestry?
Make your speculations constructively not authoritatively.
OP The dogs aren't bad however more pics would allow us make proper assessment

The head of that dam tells it all. I dont need to be the breeder or request for more pictures.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by prinzetobi: 11:29pm On Aug 16, 2017
Really? How should the head look? Box or square or triangle?
Why are you people to swift to bash people's dog?

Whatever you choose to call the dog.....
I'll just be observing comments

2 Likes

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 2:39am On Aug 17, 2017
Greene66:
We need to see clear cut pictures of the Father & Mother of those puppies. Not the mother alone.

Let me explain somethings to you:

- Being fat doesn't mean the GSD is purebred or 'full breed' and being slim or underfed doesn't make the GSD impure.

- Having plenty fur (hair/coat), doesn't mean the GSD is pure or full while having short fur/coat doesn't make it impure.

- Having a long muzzle like the local dog doesn't mean it isn't pure. And having a short muzzle like the youtube/Google pictures doesn't make it pure.

You may wonder:

How do I know a purebred GSD? What are the facts..

1.) The breed standard:- The breed standard vary depending on the kennel club or region. However, 90% of this standard are quite same. You should compare the breed standard with the dog you are looking at to determine if it's pure or not. Not looking at its face or muzzle or color or coat.

2.) Responsiveness/Prey Drive:- How responsive is this dog? Is the dog always looking to run? Always chasing something, always pacing around to do something? Always attentive when being spoken to? If yes, then we have a GSD. GSD is a working breed that likes to work. They love to chase. Love to run. And LOVE TO HUNT.

3.) Vocal Pitch:- A typical GSD has a thick voice with base. This doesn't mean a female GSD with a little sound or a GSD whining isn't a GSD. But it's something to look out for.

4.) Proactiveness:- Does this dog like pulling the leash? Does it like going forward and ahead on walks? This is wrong but if so, you have yourself a GSD.

So my friend, these are just a few of many things that can help determine the purity of a GSD.

You may also wonder what the breed standards of the GSD are. If you wish to know, check the German SV Standards. I for one respect the German standards more than the American or English because the GSD is GERMAN.

But if you insist on me telling you directly if those dogs are pure without stressing yourself to evaluate these points I raised above, fine, post more pictures.

But from what I see above, The mother looks compromised. lipsrsealed

Greene

Thanks I'll request more pictures and upload
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 9:24am On Aug 17, 2017
0b10010011:

Choi I weak bro
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 6:41am On Aug 19, 2017
Update of the pictures pals.

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Baroba(m): 9:20am On Aug 19, 2017
GSD alright, but certainly not the best quality, not even close.. Nigerian gsd, shouldn't cost more than 30k/35k for those pups..
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Greene66: 7:13pm On Aug 19, 2017
Baroba:
GSD alright, but certainly not the best quality, not even close.. Nigerian gsd, shouldn't cost more than 30k/35k for those pups..

Almost all dogs in Nigeria are Nigerian because they are locally bred. Any puppy born in Nigeria is Nigerian.

However, the pedigree and quality of these puppies is what matters. So many dogs are Nigerian but it's all about quality. If you have a quality GSD (Born and bred in Nigeria), you wouldn't want to sell it 30/35k because it's 'Nigerian'. That is the street value for majority of GSD because 80% of GSD in local breeding kernels are not purebred. But a purebred GSD may not go for 35k. Imagine a breeder who has spent a lot to make the GSD fantastic, will now sell it 35k because it's Nigeria?

Indeed the local GSD mixtures are what sell for 30/35k.. even 25k sef depending on where you go but we need to start discouraging mixing of this GSD by stop buying them!

OP DO NOT BUY THOSE PUPS.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 7:16pm On Aug 20, 2017
Greene66:

Almost all dogs in Nigeria are Nigerian because they are locally bred. Any puppy born in Nigeria is Nigerian.

However, the pedigree and quality of these puppies is what matters. So many dogs are Nigerian but it's all about quality. If you have a quality GSD (Born and bred in Nigeria), you wouldn't want to sell it 30/35k because it's 'Nigerian'. That is the street value for majority of GSD because 80% of GSD in local breeding kernels are not purebred. But a purebred GSD may not go for 35k. Imagine a breeder who has spent a lot to make the GSD fantastic, will now sell it 35k because it's Nigeria?

Indeed the local GSD mixtures are what sell for 30/35k.. even 25k sef depending on where you go but we need to start discouraging mixing of this GSD by stop buying them!

Thanks for this wonderful advice. Although I also want the best quality breed but you know as Nigerians we always want the best for little or nothing I guess that is why we keep getting this mixed breeds anyway I got someone offering me one for 120k which is way above my budget, however, I am getting a better deal from JOS and I will upload Pictures as soon as I get it.

Thanks.
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Greene66: 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2017
awales:

Thanks for this wonderful advice. Although I also want the best quality breed but you know as Nigerians we always want the best for little or nothing I guess that is why we keep getting this mixed breeds anyway I got someone offering me one for 120k which is way above my budget, however, I am getting a better deal from JOS and I will upload Pictures as soon as I get it.

Thanks.

What do you refer to as a better deal?

Have you seen the pictures?
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by awales(m): 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2017
Greene66:

What do you refer to as a better deal?

Have you seen the pictures?

Yes I have... They are Caucasian breeds referred by a friend. Pictures and videos were sent to me.

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by prinzetobi: 10:21am On Aug 25, 2017
Lol!! With the Caucasian its a different ball game. You can PM me for a lil chat If you have the moment +2349093199337.
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Baroba(m): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2017
Greene66:

You are right, what i meant by " Nigerian GSD" is a poorly bred Gsd with no regard for breeding standards; the term is obviously not fair on those who ensure proper standard s are met yet live in Nigeria.. I hear you.

Btw, am a big fan of your write up on petland, you sure know your stuff..Are you a breeder bro? smiley
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Greene66: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2017
Baroba:

You are right, what i meant by " Nigerian GSD" is a poorly bred Gsd with no regard for breeding standards; the term is obviously not fair on those who ensure proper standard s are met yet live in Nigeria.. I hear you.

Btw, am a big fan of your write up on petland, you sure know your stuff..Are you a breeder bro? smiley

Thanks Bro. . I'm not yet a breeder. I plan to start breeding too in due time. I'm still working on balancing my existing work with the new work of breeding so I have good time for my dogs and pups. smiley
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by diablos: 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2017
Greene66:

Thanks Bro. . I'm not yet a breeder. I plan to start breeding too in due time. I'm still working on balancing my existing work with the new work of breeding so I have good time for my dogs and pups. smiley

Could u help share knowledge about the type of food that should be given to two month old pups...gsd breed. Tanx

1 Like

Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by okininam: 12:41pm On Apr 18, 2018
I have gsd breed puppies 2 male 2 female im an expat living in lagos and i want to go home soon just anyone wants to buy my puppies let me know i dont have much knowledge how much it is cost but we can negotiate on that thank you. Godbless nigeria
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by okininam: 12:45pm On Apr 18, 2018
Good day im expat living in lagos and my gsd dog get born 4 puppies 2 female 2 male i want to sell it coz soon im going back home anyone wants to buy just let me know. I dont know how much it is cost but we can negotiate on that im living in lekki phase 1. Thank you godbless nigeria
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by Mooshiwa: 2:54pm On Apr 18, 2018
okininam:
Good day im expat living in lagos and my gsd dog get born 4 puppies 2 female 2 male i want to sell it coz soon im going back home anyone wants to buy just let me know. I dont know how much it is cost but we can negotiate on that im living in lekki phase 1. Thank you godbless nigeria
Give me your number.
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by henrydan(m): 7:41pm On Apr 19, 2018
okininam:

I’m interested in the male...here’s my WhatsApp number 07054864963. Please send me a message ASAP.
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by popoolagroup(m): 9:15pm On Apr 19, 2018
okininam:
hello i might be interested in a female contact me on WhatsApp 08062498949
Re: I Need Help From Experts Who Recognises GSD by omejeb: 12:25am On Apr 20, 2018
awales:
Hi people, I am a dog lover and until now I don't have pet of my own so finally I am deciding to purchase a GSD and after checking around someone sent me this images and told me they will be available for sale in 5-6weeks however I am confused he said they are full breeds pls i need advice if this is something worth purchasing and if they are really GSD breeds. I have attached image of the pups and parent stock.
my brother u have done so well by raising an alarm!!!getting a very gud quality GSD in nigeria behoves a lot of research so by male lukn at that dog even a charlatan would know without thinking twice that se isn't a pure breed according to American kenel dog so wat u have there is nothing but semi-local dog.the full definition of cross breed is when an organism from the same species is cross with different genetic makups

(1) (Reply)

Standard Sized Or Oversized German Shepherds. Which Do You Prefer?. / Exceptional Boerboel Available For Stud Service In Ibadan / Dog ADOPTION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.