Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,722 members, 7,827,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber (3376 Views)

Presidential Pardon: Ambrose Alli's Family Reacts / Group Seeks Presidential Pardon For Kanu, IPOB / Ifeanyi Ejiofor Seeks Pardon For Detained IPOB Members, Writes FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 6:59am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

The funniest thing about you afonjas is how you think your lame denials can make the truth go away.

The case of S.T. Oredein , a convicted armed robber and close confidant of Awolowo is no secret .

If you like keep denying the truth.

The decadents of S.T. Oredein are vainly trying to clear their father's name citing a state pardon he got through Awolowo's persuasion of the Gowon Military junta as evidence that he was never convicted for murder.

A pardon if I must remind you, does not invalidate a conviction but only sets aside the punishment and consequences that may arise following the latter.

You must have read your history and law upside down, a presidential pardon, makes the convict a new creature, novi hominem, the plate is wiped clean, he is neither a convict nor a criminal.

If it is the state that convict the state can also pardon. So stop peddling ignorance like mama nkechi the ground nut seller peddling her wares.

A presidential pardon vacates conviction and punishment and furnish me with authority that says other wise.

Your obsession with Awo and all desperate means to malign him has failed. First he secured his pardon, when confronted that he was not even his lawyer, you jumped to another narrative yet without any scintilla of evidence.

If you carry on like this in life, you will enmeshed your self in iron cast bind of trouble by this your impulsive attitude of making assertions and claims you can't substantiate.
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 7:52am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

You must have read your history and law upside down, a presidential pardon, makes the convict a new creature, novi hominem, the plate is wiped clean, he is neither a convict nor a criminal.

If it is the state that convict the state can also pardon. So stop peddling ignorance like mama nkechi the ground nut seller peddling her wares.

A presidential pardon vacates conviction and punishment and furnish me with authority that says other wise.

Your obsession with Awo and all desperate means to malign him has failed. First he secured his pardon, when confronted that he was not even his lawyer, you jumped to another narrative yet without any scintilla of evidence.

If you carry on like this in life, you will enmeshed your self in iron cast bind of trouble by this your impulsive attitude of making assertions and claims you can't substantiate.

A pardon is NOT the same as a reversal of a conviction!

Oredein went all the way to the supreme court to challenge his conviction which was upheld!

The State pardon takes into cognizance that one has been convicted and only grants a prerogative of mercy for a crime already committed!

For one to be granted state pardon, it is widely agreed by both parties (the State and the convicted) that a crime was committed!

Pardons are granted when individuals have demonstrated that they have paid their debt to society, or are otherwise considered to be deserving of them.

Accepting a pardon implicitly constitutes an admission of guilt (see Burdick v. United States in the United States), the offer is refused in some cases.

Stop twisting facts!
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 8:02am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

He is a lawyer and lawyers defends litigants, and stop sounding like a broken a record.

Defending a ritual murderer who abducted and sacrificed a 2 yr old toddler?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by quenton02: 8:22am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

Keep deceiving yourselves.

Awolowo was the first person to be duly arraigned and convicted for treason and was sentenced to 13yrs imprisonment with hard labour.

His conviction was secured from a taped conversation he had with AG Chieftains discussing a plan to overthrow the govt of Belewa.

Funniest thing is that one of Awo's fellow conspirators was the snitch wearing a wire - Jakande.

You can tell yourselves lies in that your fetish corner of the world but the truth will never bend for you children of perdition.

He voluntarily gave up that position when, on December 12, 1959, he was elected into the House of Representatives where he became the Leader of Opposition in Nigeria's central legislature.

"He stood up stoutly against mediocrity and drift in government, and began to define alternative channels along which Nigeria's government should go. His own concept of a Nigerian nation was probably too advanced for his opponents, who began to see the Awolowo-led opposition as a major threat. Following a trial for treasonable felony, he was jailed for 10 years in September 1963."

Where did u get your info.
They conspired against him.
Read this article.
https://dawodu.com/aluko90.htm

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 8:24am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

A pardon is NOT the same as a reversal of a conviction!

Oredein went all the way to the supreme court to challenge his conviction which was upheld!

The State pardon takes into cognizance that one has been convicted and only grants a prerogative of mercy for a crime already committed!

For one to be granted state pardon, it is widely agreed by both parties (the State and the convicted) that a crime was committed!

Pardons are granted when individuals have demonstrated that they have paid their debt to society, or are otherwise considered to be deserving of them.

Accepting a pardon implicitly constitutes an admission of guilt (see Burdick v. United States in the United States), the offer is refused in some cases.

Stop twisting facts!

I am only interested in the United State authority you cited, you have distinguished the case your self from the scenario herein, apart from the fact that the law of America does not apply in Nigeria, you have apparently read the law upside down and draw a non sequitur conclusion.

The Burdick case devolve an acceptance of pardon, the case here is that Oredein has been convicted and the pardon follows subsequently.

A pardon follows after conviction which is prequel to an allocutus, so allocutus could implied guilt also but a pardon does not rather it purges the beneficiary of guilt. Note the difference.

The legal effect of a pardon is very profound and far reaching to a beneficiary, as it exempts, frees and releases the convict of all liabilities or disabilities flowing from his said conviction and is therefore completely purged and cleansed of the pariah status, infamy and ignoble toga of an ex-convict under the law.

Section 175 (1) and (2) of the constitution makes it abundantly manifest.

in ex abundante cautela, pardon makes the beneficiary a new being, without any criminal records and that is why Obj was able to become the president cos he was granted a presidential pardon.

There is also a governor pardon under section 212 of the constitution but the Governor general or premier of the south west did not grant oredein but Gowon. So stop desecrating the memory of Awo.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 8:29am On Aug 18, 2017
quenton02:

He voluntarily gave up that position when, on December 12, 1959, he was elected into the House of Representatives where he became the Leader of Opposition in Nigeria's central legislature.

"He stood up stoutly against mediocrity and drift in government, and began to define alternative channels along which Nigeria's government should go. His own concept of a Nigerian nation was probably too advanced for his opponents, who began to see the Awolowo-led opposition as a major threat. Following a trial for treasonable felony, he was jailed for 10 years in September 1963."

Where did u get your info.
They conspired against him.
Read this article.
https://dawodu.com/aluko90.htm

THE SENTENCE

The Trial Judge Mr. Sowemimo speaks:

“….Whatever others may say, this is my personal view. I am not speaking as a judge but as a Nigerian. Here we have one of the first Premiers of the autonomous region standing trial. If you were the only one before me, I would have felt that it was enough for you to have undergone the strain of the trial. I would have asked you to go. But I am sorry, I cannot do so now because my hands are tied. Having sentenced those young chaps whatever happens I have to pass some sort of sentence. If I made up my mind to sentence the other accused persons who I find were tools in the hands of others, and if my conclusion is right, it is for me to see that a punishment by me in my court is such that others would see that there is no preferential treatment.

I do not see what useful purpose a sentence of imprisonment will do to you, but I have come to the conclusion that these things emanate from you. To get yourself involved in this thing is enough shame. But this is a political crime. There are things which one may never know. All I know is what is before me and I am bound by the evidence. You mentioned about the delay in giving judgement, but I wish you were in my position and had to read some of these things – the evidence which was about 800 pages and the notes of submissions also about 600 pages. I was never hoping or thinking that I would be called upon to try a former Head of Government and Leader of Opposition. I am only happy that this is a court of first instance. ”

At the conclusion of the speech by Justice Sowemimo, Chief Awolowo was sentenced as follows:
1st Count – 10 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Treasonable felony, contrary to Section 41(b) of the Criminal Code.
2nd Count – 5 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to commit a felony, contrary to Section 516 of the Criminal Code.
3rd Count – 2 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to effect an unlawful purpose, contrary to Section 518 (6) of the Criminal Code.
Sentences to be concurrent.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 8:39am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

I am only interested in the United State authority you cited, you have distinguished the case your self from the scenario herein, apart from the fact that the law of America does not apply in Nigeria, you have apparently read the law upside down and draw a non sequitur conclusion.

The Burdick case devolve an acceptance of pardon, the case here is that Oredein has been convicted and the pardon follows subsequently.

A pardon follows after conviction which is prequel to an allocutus, so allocutus could implied guilt also but a pardon does not rather it purges the beneficiary of guilt. Note the difference.

The legal effect of a pardon is very profound and far reaching to a beneficiary, as it exempts, frees and releases the convict of all liabilities or disabilities flowing from his said conviction and is therefore completely purged and cleansed of the pariah status, infamy and ignoble toga of an ex-convict under the law.

Section 175 (1) and (2) of the constitution makes it abundantly manifest.

in ex abundante cautela, pardon makes the beneficiary a new being, without any criminal records and that is why Obj was able to become the president cos he was granted a presidential pardon.

There is also a governor pardon under section 212 of the constitution but the Governor general or premier of the south west did not grant oredein but Gowon. So stop desecrating the memory of Awo.

A pardon is not the same as an expunged criminal record.

A pardon does not erase a crime but rather only forgives one.

The rule of forgive but never forget still applies with Pardons!

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 9:11am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

A pardon is not the same as an expunged criminal record.

A pardon does not erase a crime but rather only forgives one.

The rule of forgive but never forget still applies with Pardons!

S.t Oredein was accused of receiving stolen goods not armed robbery, he was convicted of receiving stolen good and conspiracy to steal.

You still don't get it, pardon wipe the slate clean for the beneficiary, it returns him to pre- conviction position. Let me shock you, it makes it that he never committed the crime.

A pardon does not erase the crime granted but it erases it for the beneficiary of pardon.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by quenton02: 9:14am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

THE SENTENCE

“….Whatever others may say, this is my personal view. I am not speaking as a judge but as a Nigerian. Here we have one of the first Premiers of the autonomous region standing trial. If you were the only one before me, I would have felt that it was enough for you to have undergone the strain of the trial. I would have asked you to go. But I am sorry, I cannot do so now because my hands are tied. Having sentenced those young chaps whatever happens I have to pass some sort of sentence. If I made up my mind to sentence the other accused persons who I find were tools in the hands of others, and if my conclusion is right, it is for me to see that a punishment by me in my court is such that others would see that there is no preferential treatment.

I do not see what useful purpose a sentence of imprisonment will do to you, but I have come to the conclusion that these things emanate from you. To get yourself involved in this thing is enough shame. But this is a political crime. There are things which one may never know. All I know is what is before me and I am bound by the evidence. You mentioned about the delay in giving judgement, but I wish you were in my position and had to read some of these things – the evidence which was about 800 pages and the notes of submissions also about 600 pages. I was never hoping or thinking that I would be called upon to try a former Head of Government and Leader of Opposition. I am only happy that this is a court of first instance. ”

At the conclusion of the speech by Justice Sowemimo, Chief Awolowo was sentenced as follows:
1st Count – 10 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Treasonable felony, contrary to Section 41(b) of the Criminal Code.
2nd Count – 5 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to commit a felony, contrary to Section 516 of the Criminal Code.
3rd Count – 2 years I.H.L (Imprisonment with Hard Labour) Conspiracy to effect an unlawful purpose, contrary to Section 518 (6) of the Criminal Code.

Did u read the article, if did u would understand what was going on
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by quenton02: 9:15am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

THE SENTENCE

Did u read the article, if did u would understand what was going on. Pls be open-minded when reading the article
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 9:19am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

THE SENTENCE

Great leaders are always convicted of political crimes, examples are legion, Mandela comes to mind.

Treasonable felony is a political crime set up by the power that be to silence opposition.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 10:04am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

S.t Oredein was accused of receiving stolen goods not armed robbery, he was convicted of receiving stolen good and conspiracy to steal.

You still don't get it, pardon wipe the slate clean for the beneficiary, it returns him to pre- conviction position. Let me shock you, it makes it that he never committed the crime.

A pardon does not erase the crime granted but it erases it for the beneficiary of pardon.

only an acquittal can lead to criminal records being expunged

As I said earlier a Pardon is to forgive but never to forget

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 10:06am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

Great leaders are always convicted of political crimes, examples are legion, Mandela comes to mind.

Treasonable felony is a political crime set up by the power that be to silence opposition.

Awolowo was not being persecuted by anybody over political differences.

This was the golden period of Nigerian socio-political experience

Awo was convicted fair and square

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 10:09am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

Oredein barely escaped firing squad because he was not present at the scene of the crime but the trial judge rightfully sentenced him to life as an accessory to armed robbery.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 10:16am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

so is Kanu now a great political activists?
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 10:35am On Aug 18, 2017
goldniagra pls respond to my earlier comment
GoldNiagara:

Is Kanu who is facing similar treason charges also a great leader?

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 10:59am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

Awolowo was not being persecuted by anybody over political differences.

This was the golden period of Nigerian socio-political experience

Awo was convicted fair and square

So that is where you are headed, KANU is an opportunist the bravest coward in the company of cowards, he is not worthy to lace the sandal of Awo' s house boy Akpan.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 11:00am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

Oredein barely escaped firing squad because he was not present at the scene of the crime but the trial judge rightfully sentenced him to life as an accessory to armed robbery.

What ever! He was pardoned end of story!
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 11:26am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

What ever! He was pardoned end of story!

So that confirms my assertions in this thread which are that Awolowo secured a pardon for his associate who was convicted and serving life for armed robbery.

case closed

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 11:28am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

So that is where you are headed, KANU is an opportunist the bravest coward in the company of cowards, he is not worthy to lace the sandal of Awo' s house boy Akpan.

Kanu is a Great Leader according to you because he is facing similar treason charges like Awolowo

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 11:31am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

So that confirms my assertions in this thread which are that Awolowo secured a pardon for his associate who was convicted and serving life for armed robbery.

case closed

Was a case opened in the first place, how do you close what was never opened! Continue to clap with one hand.
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by GoldNiagara(m): 11:32am On Aug 18, 2017
FeloniousFelon:

Kanu is a Great Leader according to you because he is facing similar treason charges like Awolowo

Yeah, he is a GREAT Loser!
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 11:33am On Aug 18, 2017
GoldNiagara:

Yeah, he is a GREAT Loser!

Remember Awo spent 3yrs into a 13yr sentence before Gowon granted him pardon to help quell the Agbekoya Parapo riots

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 4:23pm On Aug 18, 2017
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by TylerDurden: 10:45pm On Jun 30, 2018
bump
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by ImadeUReadThis: 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2018
grin
Re: Awolowo Secured State Pardon For A Convicted Armed Robber by FeloniousFelon: 8:51am On Sep 29, 2020
Awolowo had S.T.

Tinubu has Oluomo

Nothing changes in this shitty shithole

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos Fought For Independence More Than 100 Years Ago / I'm British, Saraki's Wife Tells Seychelles' Investigators Probing Alleged Money / See The Concentration Of People Listening To President Buhari (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.