Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make (16976 Views)

Fraudulent Customs Papers And Innocent Car Buyers / 7 Driving Position Mistakes Car Drivers Make / 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don't Want Car Buyers To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by dadachidi: 8:21am On Aug 17, 2017
Yes oooooo,,,,,,u gat to have a lot of patience to get most especially ur 1st car.

Nice tips!
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Iamzik: 8:27am On Aug 17, 2017
Donprayer:
OP u are very correct. I have been using my car for the past 3½ years now, some persons will use their car for 3 months without changing the oil and oil filter, this is the major problem with Nigerians. Whether na new car, changing oil every month is very necessary for the durability of the car. This is my first time here, hit the like button for me

Every month?

Maka why? Are you a transporter?

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by bravo269(m): 8:32am On Aug 17, 2017
Check my signature for your car sale and purchase in Akure and environ
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by afamaustin(m): 8:35am On Aug 17, 2017
Is it becos of the change the car engine made dem to seize d car
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by maxiuc(m): 8:37am On Aug 17, 2017
glossy6:
Between Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander (double seats), which is better?
Honda Pilot hmmm Madam I dey sorry for you

No just waste your money
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by IkpuMmadu: 8:45am On Aug 17, 2017
Clone2020:
Nigeria is the only country where owning a car is a status symbol. You will see someone rocking a 1991 Camry mocking another person who commutes with public buses. While some will spend their last cash buying a car without saving for unexpected repairs. Left to me, owning and driving a car in a rowdy place like Lagos only shortens your lifespan by 15%.
For the past one year ...I can't remember taking my car to work in Lagos

It's madness....I only drive it weekends

Traffic kills the car

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by lebete3000: 8:52am On Aug 17, 2017
Clone2020:
Nigeria is the only country where owning a car is a status symbol. You will see someone rocking a 1991 Camry mocking another person who commutes with public buses. While some will spend their last cash buying a car without saving for unexpected repairs. Left to me, owning and driving a car in a rowdy place like Lagos only shortens your lifespan by 15%.

I swear down. Lagos really disgusts me mehn!
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by tectonotimes: 9:03am On Aug 17, 2017
MEECHEAL EXCELS AUTO CARE CENTRE: A ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL AUTO-SERVICES IN LAGOS
Meecheal Excels Limited is a state of the art auto-care centre that can take care of the 21st century needs. This auto center has played a leading role as one of the largest importers of new tyres and alloy rims for a decade now we have made tremendous progress over the years and today we have a wide spread network of customers across the 36 states of Nigeria.

OUR SERVICES
Mechanical Services
Diagnostic Services
Repair Services
Routine Vehicle Servicing/Maintenance

Auto Interior and Exterior
Car Painting (Oven Baking)
Upholstery works
Accidental Repairs
Vehicle Branding
Auto body parts and accessories

Car Wash Services
Tyre Services
Wheel Balancing and Alignment
TPMS Servicing
Fixing of special tyres such as bullet proof, run flat tyres, etc
Pegging
Brake Disc Resurfacing

Corporate Services (Fleet Management Services)

TYRE SERVICES SECTION
In Meecheal Excels Limited we use state of the art technology (Hunter 3D alignment machine) for all our tyre services. Our Tyre services include:
•Wheel Balancing and Alignment
•TPMS Servicing
•Fixing of special tyres such as bullet proof, run flat tyres, etc.
•Pegging
•Brake Disc Resurfacing

Click on the link below for detailed information with pictures:
http://www.tectono-business.com/2017/08/meecheal-excels-auto-care-centre-one.html
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by Dottore: 9:08am On Aug 17, 2017
glossy6:
Between Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander (double seats), which is better?
Forget about their aesthetics but my sincere advice swt hrt is DONT ever buy anything Honda when your next option is Toyota, especially as Tokunbo or second hand unless you plan to use it for a few months and sell it otherwise it will frustrate you you such that you'd think your village witches are on top of their game with your life.
The two are incomparable. Have you ever hear of the saying "Toyota's run/last forever"
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by torres89: 9:23am On Aug 17, 2017
fbtowner:

White elephant lie
oga list all the used cars in your area and their price range
don't include manual
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by bdek(m): 9:41am On Aug 17, 2017
Angelb4:
10. Thinking that without Honda and Toyota, no other car is good again at all

which other one better oooo?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by webincomeplus(m): 9:46am On Aug 17, 2017
Donprayer:
OP u are very correct. I have been using my car for the past 3½ years now, some persons will use their car for 3 months without changing the oil and oil filter, this is the major problem with Nigerians. Whether na new car, changing oil every month is very necessary for the durability of the car. This is my first time here, hit the like button for me
Even manufacturers won't ask you to change oil every month.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by webincomeplus(m): 9:54am On Aug 17, 2017
Iamzik:

Every month?
Maka why? Are you a transporter?
Me sef tire for the guy o.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by erico2k2(m): 10:03am On Aug 17, 2017
Donprayer:
Sure way to kill your Engine is changing the Oil every month. Im very sure you buy palm oil as well cos if its the required Oil your pocket will tell you.

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by erico2k2(m): 10:03am On Aug 17, 2017
bdek:

which other one better oooo?
VW, Audi ?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by erico2k2(m): 10:07am On Aug 17, 2017
Clone2020:
Bro I disagree with you.Not owning a car in a rowdy place like lagos and relying on public transport shortens your life span by %40
You will miss appt,breath in dangerous gas,open to pocket picking, noise pollution as well, the list goes o n.Try take your kids out on public transport in Nigeria U will never imagine the problems you will face.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by win2kwire: 11:27am On Aug 17, 2017
Rubbish, most Nigerians buy things based on what the neighbour has and by word of mouth!
Hence majority of cars are camry, toyota and nissan!

narrow minded f0ols who cannot use their own minds = Nigerians!

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by dedunji: 12:01pm On Aug 17, 2017
Op you forgot the main thing I mean the MPG of the car ( miles per gallon) if you buy a car with 12 mpg combine you will understand what am saying ,you will be buying fuel like breathe.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by obontami: 12:06pm On Aug 17, 2017
autojosh:
A few weeks ago, we talked about 5 Things Car Dealers In Nigeria Don’t Want Car Buyers To Know. See here..https://autojosh.com/car-dealers-in-nigeria/ . Today we will be looking at some mistakes even we the car buyers make when buying our cars.

1. Buying in a haste

Buying a car is totally different from buying hot wheels cars from Shoprite's toy rack.. where kids spot the toy of their choice, point a finger and it's theirs in a minute. As we all know, the kid may damage the toy before the next day. Now, we are talking about buying a real car with your hard earned money. So don't rush. Take your time, compare prices and do all the necessary checks.

2. Thinking the cheapest car is the always the best deal

Awoof has purged many on several occasions. I always tell people "the cheapest car is not necessarily the best deal". It is a bad idea to save N500,000 only to buy a car that has just been rebuilt from a terrible accident.. with deployed airbags and damaged suspensions not properly repaired. The sad news is some people paid the ultimate price for this error with their lives. Some others ended up in jail for buying ridiculously cheap cars which happened to be stolen vehicles. This though is the major reason car dealers in Nigeria do all those shady things just to sell their cars.

3. Falling in love with the clean body of the car only

Many of us are guilty of this. We buy a car because it has a clean exterior. I fell victim to this when I bought my first car and the car started dealing with me after 6 months. Another guy bought a 2003 Toyota Highlander at Berger in Lagos, by the time he got to Port Harcourt with the car, he realised he had only bought a car body with no engine.. the engine of the highlander knocked within the first 3 months. To add pepper to the injury, Nigeria Customs seized the SUV immediately after he changed the engine at Owerri.

4. Showing desperation to the seller

If you show that you are desperately in love or in need of a car to a seller, then you may have just signed a one chance certificate. The next thing they will tell you is, someone else is coming to pay for the car this evening. So you won't have a choice but to pay now. You may end up paying more for the car and you may not have time to do proper checks.

5. Not doing proper checks

Proper checks include test drive, VIN check, diagnostic scan, verifying custom and vehicle papers etc. You can see my post on 12 things to check before buying a Nigerian used car HERE.. https://autojosh.com/1532-2/

6. They want the most recent version

Some of us want the 2008 Toyota Corolla because it is the most recent model of that design but we still want to pay the price of the 2003 for it because they look similar. Apart from most 2008 costing more to purchase from USA or Canada, the custom duty at Lagos port is also definitely higher. So if you are particular about saving cost, you may be better off with the 2003 model instead of buying a refurbished 2008 model. The difference in both cars may not be commensurate to the difference in price and this applies to many other brands and models.

7. Buying a particular car because someone else is driving it

Don't try to keep up with the Joneses. I have seen people make the mistake of buying cars because they've seen a few people driving it or their neighbour has one. So they will just conclude that for that person to be able to maintain it, they can also maintain it. On the contrary, you don't know if that person you are admiring is suffering and smiling with that car.. You also don't know his/her financial capacity and source of income. So please always take your car research beyond the fact that someone else is able to maintain a car. Because you might just not know what he/she is actually going through

8. I want my car to be one in town

There is nothing as satisfying as driving a one in town car.. and your car is so unique that it turns heads wherever you go. But don't forget our common saying "one in town car, one in town problem". So you'd better tread with caution. You need to research a reliable repair centre and availability of parts. You also need a sure contact that can help you get the parts abroad when needed.. as well as a Bureau De Change guy that will be giving you good dollar exchange rate. But there is a way to play safe with using a unique car. What some people do is, they buy a usual car like a 2012 Toyota Camry or a 2012 Benz E-Class then they modify it (love-vendor) by changing some components like the lights, bumpers, grills etc. However, you have to do this with care so you don't overdo and end up messing the car up into an ugly.....

9. Using all your last Kobo to buy a car

This problem speaks for itself. Always remember, the car will need some care after purchase and you're going to be using money for that. I am sure you've seen people who buy a car and start to beg for money to fuel it after 2 weeks.. some even start depending on other people for food to eat.. and they declare bankruptcy when they get the first repair bill from their mechanic. Lol

Have you experienced any of this? Is there any I didn't add? Tell us in the comment section

Don't forget to like, rate, share, follow us on facebook.

https://autojosh.com/9-mistakes-car-buyers-nigeria-usually-make/

Lalasticlala
Myn d44
Ishi love
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

bros na how much be hummer h2 tokunbo now?
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by computerglobal(m): 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2017
Be Cautious and obtain a detailed vehicle history report from computerglobal which can reveal many hidden problems from a vehicle’s past, including flood titles,recalls and more, and also will indicate if a vehicle has been registered in at-risk areas during flood and hurricane seasons.
Consumers could end up saving a great deal of time and money in repairing damages that were unbeknownst to them with they made the purchase.

Call/sms your vin to 08060365068
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by nemynely(m): 3:13pm On Aug 17, 2017
Donprayer:

Op, pls is it palmoil u use when u do ur monthly car oil change? You must be very rich dude to have carried on with this wasteful venture for the past three and a half years. Are you using a Synthetic 5W-30 or a 20W-50? Cos if its d former, i wouldnt mind getting your contact so i can pour what you drain out of yours into mine, while saving subsequent drains for resale at a discounted price! grin grin grin
On a serious note, Please look up frequency of car oil change from your vehicle manual. If you don't have a hardcopy, download it from the internet. There must be a mechanical balance between time of last service and mileage driven afterwards.
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by ndigbo: 6:15pm On Aug 17, 2017
win2kwire:
Rubbish, most Nigerians buy things based on what the neighbour has and by word of mouth!
Hence majority of cars are camry, toyota and nissan!

narrow minded f0ols who cannot use their own minds = Nigerians!

Why you dey vex naaa

1 Like

Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by ActionsShure: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2017
When oil life below 15
U top it up
Re: 9 Mistakes Car Buyers In Nigeria Usually Make by computerglobal(m): 12:25pm On Aug 19, 2017
Diagnose and Run a history check on your Car To Know Internal Problems

Sms Vin To 08060365068 Today

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? / Infiniti Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary With Edition 30 Models / List Of Common Problems And Their Solutions For Cars In The Rains.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.