Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Did You Do To Your Car Today? (16975 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / Dodge Charger 2010 Hemi V8 Battery Cable Nearly Burnt Up My Car Today / Can 200k Get Me A Car Today? (2) (3) (4)

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 04, 2012
Hi guys!

Just thought I'd start this thread, where anyone can post what they've done to their car on any given day. It could be routine maintenance / service, repairs, upgrades (wheels, accessories, audio equipment etc) or even something as mundane as a wash and wax!

This thread can come in handy to all, especially if someone has a common problem that was fixed, others can follow the same route to a similar issue. May be worth a sticky. Pictures are welcome too.

I'll begin in a laid-down format.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sunday 04th November 2012:

Make: BMW.
Model 120d M-Sport.
Model year: 2008.
Engine: 2,0 I4 DOHC 16V.
Fuel type: Diesel.
Transmission: 6-speed manual.
Drive: RWD.

Symptom: For a while, I've been getting a knocking at very low speeds, more obvious when I apply the brakes at about 10 mph. I'd worked out it was coming from the front passenger side. Not a big issue, more an annoyance than anything. It also meant all wasn't well.

After returning from church, I lifted the car on axle stands at the front, and sure enough, I could see the problem. The lower arm (the one towards the rear of the left-hand suspension) showed signs of wear. I was able to move the arm by hand. Unfortunately, being sunday, I was unable to get any parts. At least I know what it is now, and will be calling Inchcape BMW tomorrow morning, to order the complete arm. Hopefully I'll have time to fit it, and get the car into BMW to get the wheel geometry checked, and adjusted as required.

This set-up is also applicable to the E46 BMW, the front lower arms are prone to bush wear.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 6:01am On Nov 05, 2012
Changed shocks on the jeep couple of weeks ago, not done anything to it since I bought it off ebay 3-4yrs ago now with 160k miles decided to change shocks cos it was on sale. Also found rotors were from factory, brakes on the last grip lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Old,bad, and new rear shocks side by side with tools for the job
Also replaced/flushed power steering fluid and brake fluid.

Will have to reduce pic to post tomorrow

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 6:11am On Nov 05, 2012
Power steering using turkey baster

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 8:14am On Nov 05, 2012
Nov 1st. 1999 honda accord Ex. Have used the car 4yrs now and just disconnected the bypass done on thermostat switch since I got it. Never knew I was killing my car until I joined nairaland. Hoping to change thermo, h2o pump n coolant in d next few days
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tdie: 9:14am On Nov 05, 2012
Sunday 04 November 2012

Make: Peugeot

Model: 307 XSE

Model Year: 2004

Engine: 2.0L EW10 I4

Fuel type: Petrol

Transmission: Porsche 4 speed automatic tiptronic(AL4)

Drive: FWD

Symptom(s): I have also been experiencing knocking sounds on the drivers side tire @ low speeds on uneven roads. Unfortunately here in Uyo there is no competent Peugeot mech. They have had me randomly change almost all the suspension parts without success. Will have to get permission from work to drive the car to Enugu (over horrible roads :-( ). @ least in Enugu there's a Peugeot dealership with access to original parts. I also have my front abs sensors kaput ( detected via a scan today after loss of abs functionality). Will have the sensors shipped in from Germany and will also have that fixed @ Enugu. My engine speed sensor also seems to be sending awry signals to my TCU- resulting in not too smooth take-offs from stand still. (Also detected via scan today...-i have my own diagbox scantool ) So I'll have the sensor leads cleaned with contact spray or changed if neccessary.

And finally; my windscreen is cracked (not today though)... Will also have it changed asap. Its so much fun being a DIYer... ;-)
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by nissparts(m): 12:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
^The abs sensor IS your speed sensor and is also responsible for the transmission issue.
How is your speedometer?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
Great thread... very informative.. but first I need to buy a car... grin

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Kslib(m): 12:40pm On Nov 05, 2012
I get bicycle,but d company name wey produce am na "CAR",abeg i fit comment?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by mallorca(m): 12:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto: Great thread... very informative.. but first I need to buy a car... grin
God go do am for you very soon

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by andyzoga: 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2012
18wheeler: Nov 1st. 1999 honda accord Ex. Have used the car 4yrs now and just disconnected the bypass done on thermostat switch since I got it. Never knew I was killing my car until I joined nairaland. Hoping to change thermo, h2o pump n coolant in d next few days

hey bro! do u mean it's necessary to remove d thermostat? i bought same model two months ago and havent removed d thermostat. Pls, educate me more. thanks.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by DANILSA(m): 12:48pm On Nov 05, 2012
musKeeto: Great thread... very informative.. but first I need to buy a car... grin
PLEASE KINDLY JOIN THE THREAD FOR PEOPLE THAT USES LEG grin grin grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 05, 2012
DANILSA: PLEASE KINDLY JOIN THE THREAD FOR PEOPLE THAT USES LEG grin grin grin
hhehehehe.. i wan progres.. i don taya to be ostrich, i wan be eagle... lol..

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by pak: 12:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
Well, I've been having this blinking D drive indicator - So I pulled out my diagnostic gadget and this error about 3rd pressure switch malfunction came up.

Took it to the mech guys late on Saturday and while he was still trying to fiddle, I told him I suspect that the 2nd or 3rd pressure might be malfunctioning since the gear was still shifting properly grin.

The guy whipped out his diagnostic tool, did a scan and also came up with the 3rd pressure switch issue. Boy, He must have been dazzled grin grin grin. he looked at me incredulously, thinking who's this car whiz coming to my shed for repairs. Anyway, to cut long story short. The guy must have been so impressed/struck that he told me the real price of the pressure switch.

Am on my way to have it fixed (couldn't do that on sat). I'll keep the house posted
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by pak: 12:56pm On Nov 05, 2012
DANILSA: PLEASE KINDLY JOIN THE THREAD FOR PEOPLE THAT USES LEG grin grin grin

You wicked no be small grin grin grin
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by ekyal(f): 1:07pm On Nov 05, 2012
Hello people! I drive a sienna 2007 model. My hubby changed the engine oil and added coolant before he traveled about 2mths ago.Pls do u guys think its time for me to top the coolant now?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
ekyal: Hello people! I drive a sienna 2007 model. My hubby changed the engine oil and added coolant before he traveled about 2mths ago.Pls do u guys think its time for me to top the coolant now?

Is the coolant level low?

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by SamMilla1(m): 1:11pm On Nov 05, 2012
BMW E36. Sal
2.5 engine.
6 cylinder sealed.
5 speed manual trans.

Nov 1. Changed the front shocks after 1 year. The one i bought last year as tokunbo at old spare parts mgbuka obosi was actualy nigerian used but sprayed with european soil. Unfortunately i entrusted my mechanic with that job.
This time i went there myself and paid 15k for both.

Then the two front kambas and linkages.

Last month, i changed the two back kambas. So almost all the underneath are tokunbo now and it changed the comfort dramatically to better.

Pumped in AC gas last week.
Changed oil last week.
Changed back two tires last week.

And today, i felt like not giving anybody lift until a month.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by anintia(m): 1:12pm On Nov 05, 2012
nothing, just entered and zoomed off
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by ayojango(m): 1:12pm On Nov 05, 2012
Did the balancing and alignment
Changed d ATF and brake fluid

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by igbsam(m): 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2012
Car:Honda Accord
Year: 2003
Engine: v6

This is the state of my car then. Walahi, i can't forget this day.
The useless mechanic turned my car into something else dat i collapsed when i set my eyes on it after returning from a trip. Na cold pure water dem use wake me up. I had to lock the guy up for 1wk for turning my car into this.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tdie: 1:24pm On Nov 05, 2012
nissparts: ^The abs sensor IS your speed sensor and is also responsible for the transmission issue.
How is your speedometer?

My speedo works fine..., Car moves normally also mostly except every once in a while-when moving from rest is either a bit sluggish or a bit abrupt with a jerk.

I pulled the following codes from my scan

1. Automatic Transmission Control Unit Random Permanent Fault: Vehicle Speed Transmitted by the ABS CAN: NO SIGNAL
2. Automatic Transmission Control Unit Intermittent Fault: Gearbox Input Engine Speed Signal: NO SIGNAL
3. ABS/ESP ECU Permanent Fault: Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor: Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Positive or Short Circuit to Earth.
Also my ABS/Traction Control Warning light is on...
After an online research session and hours of poring through my Haynes Peugeot 307 repair manual, I discovered that the ABS Sensor is in fact different from my Engine speed input sensor.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by femi4: 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nothing, just entered and zoom off. Especially when I have no warning sign on the dashboard

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by blazeup(m): 1:32pm On Nov 05, 2012
Toyota camry -1998 model.
Transmission *Auto.

Changed oil. From Total Quartz 7000 15W 40 to total quartz 5000 20w 50.
Changed oil filter as well.
As at the time of this post the wheel balancing is on going and alignment is scheduled next.

That would be all for today, but I am not happy though. I just saw a sensor disconnected at the exhaust by the guy that fixed the leakage previously. This may not be too far from the engine check light that has been since then. I am optimistic about the oil change I hope its not pounds foolish cheesy
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 05, 2012
Monday 05th November 2012:

Make: Audi.
Model S8 Quattro.
Model year: 2002.
Engine: 4,2 V8 2 x DOHC 40V.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Transmission: 5-speed Tiptronic.
Drive: AWD.

Symptom: I've been noticing a "whining" from the power steering pump. The sort of noise that suggests low power-steering fluid level. I found I've been topping it up one every 6 weeks. It's a sealed system, so should never need topping up. This suggests a leak.

Today during a quiet spell, I decided to check the system, and found the culprit. A hose from the resovoir to the front-mounted power-steering fluid cooler is looking a bit the worse for wear. It's gone a bit porous. I'm going to replace it with a silicon hose. Unlike factory rubber, it doesn't degrade and break down with age. Silicone hose also tolerates higher temperatures, so does not become hard and brittle.

Picture below, showing the rogue hose:

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by nissparts(m): 1:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
The speed sensor affecting your vehicle currently is your ABS sensor.
A fault with the other one will give you different symptoms like your car starting off in the wrong gear
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by r231(m): 1:39pm On Nov 05, 2012
Mercedes C180 Kompressor.
1.8 Engine.
4 Cylinder.
52 Plate.
Auto

Nov 2. Engine maintenance light came on, rushed to the garage and after a check the mechanic decide to change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and clean the Air Mass Meter. He advised that if the light comes on again, i need to change the air mass thingy. After spending all that money over the weekend, the light came back on. Went back to the garage and he said i told you if it comes back on you need to change the Air Mass Meter.

So far i have spend over £600 on this car and its still not right undecided undecided

Less than a month ago, I changed the Ignition Barrel (£375.00) and Starter Motor (£150) undecided undecided including labour

Due for MOT (Expired on 4th of Nov) taking a risk driving it at the moment grin grin

And insurance is about to run out as well....thank God there is Tax till next yr grin grin

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2012
r231: Mercedes C180 Kompressor.
1.8 Engine.
4 Cylinder.
52 Plate.
Auto

And insurance is about to run out as well....thank God there is Tax till next yr grin grin

If your insurance runs out, you still won't be able to drive her, despite having tax till 2013, hehehe.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by miftah: 1:51pm On Nov 05, 2012
Hi guys
Make:chrysler/Dodge
model: stratus
Year: 98
transmission: Auto
Door:4dr

I have a break pad issue, hope to be replaced soon also am working on vehicle particular renewal, b4 i 4get I have a broken windscreen due to an accident, op to change it soon at Ladipo and................that`s all 4 now. wel car stil resting at home.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by r231(m): 1:55pm On Nov 05, 2012
Siena:

If your insurance runs out, you still won't be able to drive her, despite having tax till 2013, hehehe.

I will renew it, just want to shop around for a bit to see if I can get a cheaper quote.

Do you know about the Air Mass thing.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 05, 2012
r231:

I will renew it, just want to shop around for a bit to see if I can get a cheaper quote.

Do you know about the Air Mass thing.

As in replacement, where to get one etc? Where abouts are you?

Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do / Infiniti Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary With Edition 30 Models / Benue Civil Servant Hawks Groundnuts To Survive Over Unpaid Salary. Photo