Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,952 members, 7,828,344 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund (4200 Views)

Oboh Emmanuel: OAU Student Commits Suicide Over Academic Depression / Tony Adibeh Has Built A World-class Students Hostel At The COOU Anambra(photos) / Items OAU Student Stole From The School Hostel (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by sunky97: 9:57am On Aug 17, 2017
When you meet Christopher ‘King’ Bowofade, you are sure in that first minute of conversation that you have met no ordinary 22-year old. Your astonishment quickly grows when he tells you how, in less than two years, he went from a being a student who saw his parents struggle to send him his monthly allowance to building an investment company with 15 full-time employees and over N600 million under management.
The company he built, Better Days Investments (BTD), buys and sells futures and options daily on behalf of 7,902 individual investors who get returns anywhere from 10% to 30% monthly, a performance that I found difficult to believe when I first heard about it.
Somewhere in the middle of my chat with him, I couldn’t help but ask, how does a young kid who got rejected twice to study Economics — first as a secondary school leaver and later as an Ordinary Diploma Holder —convince thousands of investors to bet on him?
His short answer: “People work with you based on what you say you are.”
In late 2012, he was a fresh Diploma graduate, second best in his Conservation Science and Tourism class with a 4.41 GPA, but he was determined to be more than that. During the long break that preceded his direct-entry application to the Department of Economics at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), he stayed back in school to learn about a variety of fields over free school internet. He quickly became adept at graphic design and web development. But what really caught his eye was the financial market: forex, futures, options and binary options. These quickly became an obsession.
He would lose his first investor (his mum)’s $100 in one week, but this didn’t deter him. He found some British fund managers who became his mentors. He learnt to give one of them his money to trade for him. The fund manager returned 50% in a month. He was ecstatic. Once he was able to achieve that kind of return month after month, he felt ready to raise more money.
One of his earliest investors and evangelists was Johnson Alabi, the third best student in the Conservation Science and Tourism Diploma class. Johnson was one of those who urged him to start a company. Christopher used his PHP and CSS skills to build the company website, and they were ready for business. Their first investors would mainly be students looking to earn extra money; their first part-time staff, too.
In November 2015, BTD registered as simply a Commission Agency with CAC (neither SEC or CBN regulates speculative funds in foreign markets) and started out with N1 million from 20 investors. As returns came, word of mouth spread. Christopher and Johnson created a structure where investors signed up to be agents and earned commissions to manage other investors they brought in. At some point, they were doubling investors and asset under management every month.
They were working so hard, they forgot to go to class. This was the first year as 200 level undergraduates at the Geography department at OAU. At the end of first semester, Johnson had a GPA of 2.6, Christopher had a 1.9.
Mavrodi Mundial Moneybox (MMM)
As the business grew, Christopher’s challenges were more than academic. 2016 was the year when exchanging Naira to Dollar was difficult. BTD worked around this by securing a large single black market source and by returning Naira cash flows from new investors to old ones without touching the dollar capital base. He also had trouble maintaining investor returns as capital grew.
He and his COO, Johnson, fought over many issues and finally parted ways. Some of his best student-staff would leave him or he would be forced to sack them over issues that ranged from petty to material.
But his biggest challenge yet was in December 2016, when majority of his investors who had thought BTD was some kind of multi-level marketing scheme started to request to withdraw all of their funds following rumours that Nigeria’s largest multi-level marketing scheme, MMM, had crashed.
“This was depleting our capital so much that it challenged the company’s sustainability.” That was Christopher putting it mildly. This was an existential crises that could have wiped out over 80% of his fund, as well as BTD itself, in under a month. He took firm action and froze the fund. He also revealed himself to many of his Lagos-based investors for the first time (some who had exposure of up to N30 million), and organised an Investor Conference in February of this year to allay their fears.
The road to startup success is dotted with what sometimes are the truest tests of skill and character. Bowofade, as he is sometimes called by friends, has had to quickly learn programming and trading in the financial markets while proving that he can make tough decisions as a leader. “Not many people can trade binary options,”He quipped at some point in our chat, “It requires that you make really important decisions in a split second.” He has been an ardent student of Trading Psychology, a term popular among traders that describes the emotional and mental make-up needed to succeed as a trader, built on the three cornerstones: stamina, patience and discipline. In addition, he has to embrace fear and take risk without flinching.
But Bowofade struggles in some respects, especially in dealing with people. According to Johnson Alabi, “Bowofade can be poor with human relations, he prefers online relationships.” He has an inordinate need to feel secure and be surrounded by loyal people. This means that he has a tendency to keep mostly yes-men around him instead of those who can challenge his ideas. This easily leads to mediocrity if not checked.
From Zero to One
What’s the future of BTD? Christopher sees it in the near future as being a potential challenger to well-established finance houses like ARM, FBN Capital and Chapel Hill Denham, investing in traditional financial instruments like real estate and infrastructure but also leveraging technology a lot more. For example, leveraging blockchain technology to be the first established finance house making investments in cryptocurrency. He is a blockchain enthusiast whose $75 personal investment in Bitcoins two years ago is now $2000.
“Blockchain technology has the power to disrupt conventional business models,” he says. He goes on to explain how e-commerce sites can accept cryptocurrency, businesses can raise capital through Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), and bottom-of-the-pyramid projects in sub-Saharan Africa can benefit from the transparency, stability and trust that blockchain offers.
When Christopher unfreezes his fund by December, shedding short-term-focused investors for those who will join him for the long ride to building a sustainable company, he would have fully experienced his zero to one moment: when you build something out of nothing.
That moment is precious. You join the Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame, for starters (at OAU, it is a long list that includes the oldies like Femi Otedola and Ibukun Awosika, and the newbies like Opeyemi Awoyemi of Jobberman and Biola Olaniran of Gamsole). You may still be a student (or not; Christopher has been informed that he needs to renew his studentship), but you become a moving part of a new and growing economy. This moment is not for anyone: it belongs to those who refuse to think at the same plane as the majority of people, who have visions to truly change the game and who don’t mistake schooling for getting an education.

http://tellmystory.com.ng/the-22-year-old-oau-student-who-built-a-million-dollar-hedge-fund/

4 Likes

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by colossus91(m): 10:01am On Aug 17, 2017
nice!!
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by youngreva(m): 10:05am On Aug 17, 2017
this is too much...i will be great in Jesus Name

1 Like

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by BornnAgainChild(f): 10:12am On Aug 17, 2017
Christopher "King" Bowofade......Locate me now as my future husband....in the name of jesus

(Praying in MFM style)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by goldtooth: 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2017
kiss

1 Like

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by darkid1(m): 1:51pm On Aug 17, 2017
Intresting read... Even though I know many would not finish reading... I'm quite sure many would have taken Him for an internet-wire-fraud guy in school...

Nice
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
Nigerians are easily deceived.

This guy is nothing but a scam artist and his "business" will come crashing down soon along with the funds from gullible investors.

He doesn't run a hedge fund, he runs a pyramid scheme. Binary options, MMM and digital currencies in one portfolio ? I laugh in Swahili.

Any sensible investor will do only one thing when he sees this guy: Run!

12 Likes

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by jordyspices: 3:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
Cool story
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by NigelCundy: 4:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
lool. fake... fake. scam

1 Like

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 4:17pm On Aug 17, 2017
That's cool. It's my birthday guys. You know how we do it. Lego... grin

3 Likes

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by Nounitesportal(m): 4:18pm On Aug 17, 2017
7 Websites To Visit For Free Education

Who doesn’t want to find some quick ways to learn new skills? Courses in school and colleges are one way of understanding complex concepts. But suppose you have a great passion for photography, but you’re are pursuing a different major in college instead? Through, books or sources available on the internet would help you gain
some knowledge about the subject, but it wouldn’t be a formal education. You would not be as serious about information that you find on the web as you would be about the subject offered in your institution.

So, is there any way to not only gain a formal education with a strict schedule but at the same time take it at your own ease? Various websites online can resolve your issue. These ‘mini-institutions’ are an excellent way of gaining in-depth Knowledge to enhance your understanding or learn a particular skill. Have a look at few of them below:

CONTINUE READING
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by remi4ever(m): 6:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
ADENIKETINA2015:
That's cool. It's my birthday guys. You know how we do it. Lego... grin

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by DUNKA(m): 8:43pm On Aug 17, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
Nigerians are easily deceived.

This guy is nothing but a scam artist and his "business" will come crashing down soon along with the funds from gullible investors.

He doesn't run a hedge fund, he runs a pyramid scheme. Binary options, MMM and digital currencies in one portfolio ? I laugh in Swahili.

Any sensible investor will do only one thing when he sees this guy: Run!
Bros this small boy don already use people brain nad his Ponzi scam is already in "freeze mode" grin https://www.nairaland.com/3605191/heard-btd-investment

3 Likes

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
DUNKA:
Bros this small boy don already use people brain nad his Ponzi scam is already in "freeze mode" grin https://www.nairaland.com/3605191/heard-btd-investment

Bro it's sad, people quest for money make them become easy prey to scam artists. The guy is hiding under the umbrella of hedge funds. Are there any hedge funds in Nigeria?, why is he not registered under SEC because that's the body that regulate investments, and anyone involved investments in financial vehicle, must make sure such investment is approved by the SEC. Registering a business under CAC is not enough, it's possible to register "Ponzi Hater INC" even today, it doesn't stop anything. BTD investment is another scam artist who is walking the shoes of Sergey Mavrodi, as long as people don't realise that investment requires hard word, diligence and sound knowledge, they become easy prey to con men. Weldone Oga Dunka.

4 Likes

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by DUNKA(m): 3:08am On Aug 18, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

Bro it's sad, people quest for money make them become easy prey to scam artists. The guy is hiding under the umbrella of hedge funds. Are there any hedge funds in Nigeria?, why is he not registered under SEC because that's the body that regulate investments, and anyone involved investments in financial vehicle, must make sure such investment is approved by the SEC. Registering a business under CAC is not enough, it's possible to register "Ponzi Hater INC" even today, it doesn't stop anything. BTD investment is another scam artist who is walking the shoes of Sergey Mavrodi, as long as people don't realise that investment requires hard word, diligence and sound knowledge, they become easy prey to con men. Weldone Oga Dunka.
And the tragedy is the victims are even afraid or unwilling to speak out probably still believing that the so called guru will make good his fake promises. It is a pity that their money is long gone

1 Like

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by ThatCEO: 6:48am On Aug 18, 2017
grin grin ;Dmake I dey shine my teeth dey go. Hustling no easy.
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by Donjazzy12(m): 6:57am On Aug 18, 2017
BornnAgainChild:
Christopher "King" Bowofade......Locate me now as my future husband....in the name of jesus

(Praying in MFM style)

No! Go back to all the idiots you have been fucking, sucking their dicks and drinking their sperm, don't come to destroy his carefully planned life. This one will marry Oyedepos daughter IJN!
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:03am On Aug 18, 2017
Donjazzy12:

No! Go back to all the idiots you have been fucking, sucking their dicks and drinking their sperm, don't come to destroy his carefully planned life. This one will marry Oyedepos daughter IJN!

Ok...you just proved you have nothing upstairs with this trash you typed
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by aieromon(m): 11:21am On Aug 18, 2017
But his biggest challenge yet was in December 2016, when majority of his investors who had thought BTD was some kind of multi-level marketing scheme started to request to withdraw all of their funds following rumours that Nigeria’s largest multi-level marketing scheme, MMM, had crashed.

“This was depleting our capital so much that it challenged the company’s sustainability.” That was Christopher putting it mildly. This was an existential crises that could have wiped out over 80% of his fund, as well as BTD itself, in under a month. He took firm action and froze the fund. He also revealed himself to many of his Lagos-based investors for the first time (some who had exposure of up to N30 million), and organised an Investor Conference in February of this year to allay their fears.

Bloody scam angry

1 Like

Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by TheLogicalMind(m): 4:51pm On Aug 18, 2017
BornnAgainChild:

(Praying in MFM style)

Olosho gold digger. I thought they said what a man can do, a woman can do better. Why not prove women's superiority by floating your own multi million dollar hedge fund? Make money with your brain and not with your pu.ssy
Re: The 22 Year Old OAU Student Who Built A Million Dollar Hedge Fund by BornnAgainChild(f): 9:16pm On Aug 18, 2017
TheLogicalMind:

Olosho gold digger. I thought they said what a man can do, a woman can do better. Why not prove women's superiority by floating your own multi million dollar hedge fund? Make money with your brain and not with your pu.ssy

Lol...thanks...His a man like you...go do same too and stop typing nonsense

(1) (Reply)

Pls I Have D7 In Physics What Can I Study / Latest On The On-going ASUU Strike / GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.