Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,549 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? (2183 Views)

Home Electronics And Appliances For Sale .. / A Must To Open Thread......for Your ELECTRONICS Eyes Only / I Will Help You Market Your Electronics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by holybabayo(m): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2017
I had this ugly experience where there was no light in the house and my DSTV Decoder, TV and Home Theater got fried by thunderstorms. I noticed that everything not connected to the Decoder, like my DVD player, was not damage. The repairer told me that the lightning traveled through the LNB of the Dish outside. He told me that disconnecting my electronics from the power source will not protect it. Even thunder arrester will not protect this. Nothing can protect it. You have to disconnect the LNB from the Decoder. There are claims on internet that this lightning thing travelling through Cable TV is a reality. I made a comment about this on DSTV Facebook page and they ignored me, not even a word of consolation.
I want to know the following:
Is there anyone with similar experience?
Can I sue DSTV for this damages?
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by abdulmalik3(m): 10:55am On Aug 17, 2017
that's true,
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by DBlackCeazer(m): 10:59am On Aug 17, 2017
It is very possible, dangerously high voltages generated by lightening can travel through your dish/antenna wrecking havoc on any elctronics connected to it.
I ve seen an instance where it travelled through a solar panel and destroyed a very expensive inverter.
A lightening arrestor would go a long way to prevent these ugly scenarios, but it's not full proof.
My advice is to install one at the highest point of your house.
And if possible, relocate the dish.
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by holybabayo(m): 11:20am On Aug 17, 2017
DBlackCeazer:
It is very possible, dangerously high voltages generated by lightening can travel through your dish/antenna wrecking havoc on any elctronics connected to it.
I ve seen an instance where it travelled through a solar panel and destroyed a very expensive inverter.
A lightening arrestor would go a long way to prevent these ugly scenarios, but it's not full proof.
My advice is to install one at the highest point of your house.
And if possible, relocate the dish.

Thanks for your contribution. The person that installed it had a hard time capturing signal. He went as far as the fence to capture signal.
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by twinskenny(m): 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2017
Your building is not earthen....
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by twinskenny(m): 2:20pm On Aug 17, 2017
Your building is not earthen.... U need to check that
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by holybabayo(m): 3:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
twinskenny:
Your building is not earthen.... U need to check that

That was my initial position. But I have Checked, confirmed it; it is earthen. Lightning did not travel from the power source; it traveled through the LNB. Check this possibility online for yourself. Did you consider the part that said my DVD player was not affected? These all were connected to one extension and the extension is connected to the wall socket
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by bodejohn(m): 5:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
You need to ground or earth your dish also. Earthing the household is not complete if items like your satellite dish or solar panels are not bonded to the earth point in your house especially when you reside in areas that are prone to thunder strikes.

Run an earth cable from your dish to the earth pit or point in your house and you should be fine...this of course is in addition to a thunder arrestor place at the topmost point of your home.
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by holybabayo(m): 6:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
bodejohn:
You need to ground or earth your dish also. Earthing the household is not complete if items like your satellite dish or solar panels are not bonded to the earth point in your house especially when you reside in areas that are prone to thunder strikes.

Run an earth cable from your dish to the earth pit or point in your house and you should be fine...this of course is in addition to a thunder arrestor place at the topmost point of your home.

Thanks. I will consider this option.
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by twinskenny(m): 6:51pm On Aug 17, 2017
holybabayo:

Thanks. I will consider this option.

i have experienced this once.. as a matter of fact the dish begin to generate current.. fault was trace to bad earthen.. no need earthen your dish if the main building earthing is done properly

a client lost electronics what 750k due to poor earthing.. thunder through wifi.com antenna and destroyed every eelectronics in the house;.
Re: Can DSTV Dishes Attract Thunderstorms To Your Electronics? by bodejohn(m): 9:22pm On Aug 17, 2017
twinskenny:

...no need earthen your dish if the main building earthing is done properly

Seriously? Have you heard of equipotential bonding?

(1) (Reply)

Brand New Redmi 4as Available For Sale / New Iphone XR, Black Colour, 3gig Ram, 64gig Rom / Ps Vital , Laptop, Phone , For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.